Tour de France 2014

Boomstick

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a real shame for Millar but you can see the teams viewpoint.

Not fit enough.

Only 3 British riders this year.

I'm really not happy about Millar being dropped. He's by far and away my 'favourite' cyclist and I was looking forward to seeing him go out in style.

Dowsett out too. That means Movistar are going to be nowhere in my mind, missing him and Nairo.

The White Cockade

Peter Kennaugh dropped by Sky for Tour but just won British Road Racing title

Seems a strange one as the boy is v good and still improving

Peter Kennaugh dropped by Sky for Tour but just won British Road Racing title

Seems a strange one as the boy is v good and still improving

Yup, Sky have both National Champions (road race and TT) but leaving them both at home.

It's cold, clinical and probably the 'right' decision but it's not fun and cycling should be fun.

I want to see Froome and Wiggins racing each other, emulating Lemond & Hinault from 86 but Sky won't put them in the same squad. It's a shame.

Millar isn't taking this well.

Could be a pretty public breakdown. He went right off the rails during his suspension. If anyone hasn't read his book Racing Through the Dark then I recommend it pretty highly.

Franco Fascione

Yup, Sky have both National Champions (road race and TT) but leaving them both at home.

It's cold, clinical and probably the 'right' decision but it's not fun and cycling should be fun.

I want to see Froome and Wiggins racing each other, emulating Lemond & Hinault from 86 but Sky won't put them in the same squad. It's a shame.

Millar isn't taking this well.

Could be a pretty public breakdown. He went right off the rails during his suspension. If anyone hasn't read his book Racing Through the Dark then I recommend it pretty highly.

Team Sky's management irritate me. I hope some of the guys being left out move to other teams where they will be appreciated, instead of being very talented cyclists left at home. It didn't work for Cav at Sky, others need to follow him and move on.

I read it and 2nd your recommendation.

sunblestjambo

I wish I'd went down to Leeds today.

Me too..

Decided I wouldn't bother during the week and now sitting in bed thinking daft decision.

Hope it goes really well, was there not some chat about the Grande Departe maybe still coming to Edinburgh in a few years?

Me too..

Decided I wouldn't bother during the week and now sitting in bed thinking daft decision.

Hope it goes really well, was there not some chat about the Grande Departe maybe still coming to Edinburgh in a few years?

It was a 50/50 between Edinburgh and Leeds and Leeds won iirc.

Hope Edinburgh gets it in the near future.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I wish I'd went down to Leeds today.

I wish I had the time to go down to the Dales and watch the Tour cross the Buttertubs as I have driven over that road and it is classed as a cat 3 climb for the riders. Hawes is a great little village to watch from as well.

Edinburgh is pushing for it. The success of the Tour Series event a couple of months ago in the Grassmarket will be a massive feather in the cap of Edinburgh's bid to have one someday.

Just start the bloody stage.

17km rollout followed by having to stop dead so the royals can have a chat.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Three, two, one and we're off.

That was tortuous, that build up. Delighted it's finally underway now.

Working as part if the medical cover I am in Leeds saw them coming up Scott hall road, off to York tomorrow morning, I drove down this morning and it was pelting down over the A66, would imagine a lot of standing water on the route, suns out now though :-)

All roads lead to Gorgie

Looks like a possible collarbone snap for Cavendish!

Shame for Cav, maybe trying too hard in front of home crowd. Kittel would have been hard to get passed anyway I think.!

Cavendish surely finished this year.

Shame.

The best he can hope for is to get fit for the Vuelta.

The best he can hope for is to get fit for the Vuelta.

Has it been confirmed yet?

Could be bruising. Doubt it mind.

I've just watched the highlights programme and when you expect the crash and watch the head on from the long distance camera Cavendish is bang to rights at fault. He was too wound up trying to get the stage and sadly not the first time in his career, I thought he had that under control these days.

No break but he's dislocated his collarbone where it meets the shoulder and torn all the ligaments that held it in place.

Not sure if he can ride like that and even if he can, will he be able to sprint? If Cav can't sprint then what's the point of him continuing?

Greedy_Jambo

Watched it all! it was gid!!!

But no as gid as this!

BAAAAAAAAAAM

Guest C00l K1d

Where are they racing to from Yorkshire?

Right down to the very south of england or...?

Fair bike ride that :laugh:

Did a big loop from Leeds to Skipton to Wendsleydale then onto Harrogate. 118miles all told.

York to Sheffield the next day then Cambridge to London on day 3.

Gutted for Cav. The Tour is worse off without him, regardless of who's fault it was.

If he can get fit for the Vuelta, will he be fit for the Commonwealth games?

Cav, Millar and Wiggo would be brilliant to see racing in Glasgow.

Guest C00l K1d

Gutted for Cav. The Tour is worse off without him, regardless of who's fault it was.

If he can get fit for the Vuelta, will he be fit for the Commonwealth games?

Cav, Millar and Wiggo would be brilliant to see racing in Glasgow.

You going?

Pretty gutted i didn't manage any tickets, for any events. Too busy though.

You going?

Pretty gutted i didn't manage any tickets, for any events. Too busy though.

Road race isn't ticketed brother...it's in the streets...

Guest C00l K1d

Road race isn't ticketed brother...it's in the streets...

Nah i don't mean tickets for the cycling, just mean for any events in general. Would've liked to catch something but just too busy this summer.

Are you going along to watch the cycling though?

Nah i don't mean tickets for the cycling, just mean for any events in general. Would've liked to catch something but just too busy this summer.

Are you going along to watch the cycling though?

Yeah man, just going for that.

It'll be mad as the 5 man squad for the Olympics was Wiggins, Cavendish, Froome, Stannard and Millar. Froome isn't riding the commonwealth and Wiggo, Cav and Millar will ride against each other. Should be good fun to see.

Actually seeing it back makes me a little confused as to why Cav is apologising. Boardman nailed it, he's been a lot more at fault and not apologised before.

Predictions for today?

Should be a good race today.

Could be a split in the pelaton.

Should be a good race today.

Could be a split in the pelaton.

Cycling Weekly's stage guide predicts this stage as blowing the peloton apart.

Certainly can't see Kittel holding on to yellow today.

Cycling Weekly's stage guide predicts this stage as blowing the peloton apart.

Certainly can't see Kittel holding on to yellow today.

No chance Kittel will remain in yellow.

Voekler would be nice. It really could be anyone.

Hard to say if anyone will try a big move today in my opinion. It's still early in the race but with the only time trial this year being the second last stage it will make for interesting tactics. Both Contador and Froome made for this.i think they both might be thinking of testing the other one today.

The organisers are all over social media with messages telling people how to behave at the roadside. So far warnings about dogs, kids and staying off the road. I felt nervous a few times watching it yesterday as a lot of people aren't aware of these things and seem to be moving onto the road to see the riders.

Neutral zone in York today

I'm really jealous. Certainly won't be missing the commonwealth road race.

All roads lead to Gorgie

The organisers are all over social media with messages telling people how to behave at the roadside. So far warnings about dogs, kids and staying off the road. I felt nervous a few times watching it yesterday as a lot of people aren't aware of these things and seem to be moving onto the road to see the riders.

They still seem better behaved than the crowds in France, from what I have seen anyway

Archived