Tour de France 2014

Boomstick

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam Murray

Worst Tour ever?

Not far off. Cobble stage was fantastic but the departure of two of the three favourites before we reached the high mountains made it a bit of a procession for Nibali and his team. Has been exciting for the French with two podium place and a bright future with a few good young riders coming through. This years course, with only one time trial, suited Nairo Quintana, and if the rumours are true, then Movistar may regret leaving him out and putting all their riders behind Alejandro Valverde, as Quintana may well be looking for another team.

Roll on next years Tour, if everyone stays fit there could be five or six riders fighting it out all the way to Paris for the yellow jersey. Some more cobbles please and a team time trial :-)

Boaby Ewing

Not far off. Cobble stage was fantastic but the departure of two of the three favourites before we reached the high mountains made it a bit of a procession for Nibali and his team. Has been exciting for the French with two podium place and a bright future with a few good young riders coming through. This years course, with only one time trial, suited Nairo Quintana, and if the rumours are true, then Movistar may regret leaving him out and putting all their riders behind Alejandro Valverde, as Quintana may well be looking for another team.

Roll on next years Tour, if everyone stays fit there could be five or six riders fighting it out all the way to Paris for the yellow jersey. Some more cobbles please and a team time trial :-)

Aye, sure it's still had its moments but with some of the top riders left out before the race and others wiped out in the first week it's all looked a bit dull this year.

This year hasn't been as exciting as it potentially could have been due to the withdrawals, but it has been good to see a mixed bag of stage winners and Nibali winning it the way people used to, on open stages without a dependence on time trials.

It's been a good Tour

Anyone could have won any stage and many tried.

Lots of younger guys made names for themselves.

Would it have been any less of a procession if Contador and Froome had been there for the entire thing?

It's been a **** load more entertaining that watching Sky sit at the front of the peloton and not letting anyone else race.

Tactically it's brilliant and it's won them 2 tours in a row but it's really not that exciting to watch.

Could have done with an early TTT imo but other than that I've enjoyed this tour.

Adam Murray

It's been a good Tour

Anyone could have won any stage and many tried.

Lots of younger guys made names for themselves.

Would it have been any less of a procession if Contador and Froome had been there for the entire thing?

Would have been good to have seen Nibali put under more pressure, and vice versa had the other two managed to stay in the race.

A lot of winning the Tour is down to luck and being an excellent bike handler, and there is no denying Nibali is an excellent bike handler and managed, not just with the help of his team but sometimes on his own, to get himself in the right places at the right times, a worthy winner.

Nibs didn't need to go for any of his stage wins; he did it to prove that he wasn't just lucky due to Cont and Froome dropping out. A worthy winner.

Nibs didn't need to go for any of his stage wins; he did it to prove that he wasn't just lucky due to Cont and Froome dropping out. A worthy winner.

Yup, when he won the Giro last year he was being criticised for not winning lots of stages so he went and won one on a mountain just to prove that he could.

I'd hate for Nibali's win to be cheapened because Froome and Bert crashed out. He had to ride the same roads, in the same conditions.

After Cav crashed out that was about as predictable as you could really get.

In fact after stage one you would have been pretty safe dumping cash on Tony Martin to win the TT and Kittel to win in Paris.

Bit of a shanner that I didn't tbh. Anyway, I'm off to quote an early post of mine.

I'm going with Vincenzo Nibali. He's done nowt this year but I think his training is geared towards the Tour so could surprise a few. Hope Wiggins is riding as I just can't take to Froome. Be nice to see Cav getting annoyed again. Love Le Tour. Pisses all over Wimbledon.

Good call.

Lot of talk about Contador, Froome, Costa et al but I'll be interested in what Nibali brings to to the race this year.

Good call.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Worst tour ever? No way! Battle for the podium was exciting, some stages were excellent and the fact (as boomstick) said that Sky didn't just take over was great. Also, shows that Sky are a bit of a one trick pony. Saxo Tinkoff/. Tinkoff Saxo/ Saxoff Tinko lost contador and went straight to a plan B of let's win as many stages as we can, and they got a couple as well as KOM. I'm more a mountain guy than a flat stage but even I enjoyed some of the breakaways and sprints.

Nibali deserved winner and Astana deserve credit for their team riding too.

Archived