Tour de France 2014

Boomstick

They still seem better behaved than the crowds in France, from what I have seen anyway

The only time the crowd get super close to the riders in France is in the mountains. And despite appearances most of the fans are cycling savvy. The worry here is people being unaware of the speed the peloton moves at.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riders are loving a crash today. No big ones but by christ, they're throwing themselves all over the road.

All roads lead to Gorgie

The only time the crowd get super close to the riders in France is in the mountains. And despite appearances most of the fans are cycling savvy. The worry here is people being unaware of the speed the peloton moves at.

There just seems to be less eejits running alongside but you are right that's in the mountains.The warning on the telly was hard hitting and gets the point over.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Been out at the roadside today, great atmosphere and really weird to see the peleton flying past just up the road from your house.

Well I have had cracking roadside views during stage 1 and 2 and wow, I was taken back.

SIne it was announced in January 2013 I've been excited as a chimp that has just ripped a woman's face off but never expected this. It brought a tear to my eye.

Well done Yorkshire.

:shitwine:

I personally think Cavendish is a complete arsehole, but that is a horrible blow for him.

Where did all this anti Cav sentiment come from?

I've always found him to be quite likeable.

Where did all this anti Cav sentiment come from?

I've always found him to be quite likeable.

An entertaining interviewee but can overstep the mark on the road in terms of bullying for position.

I personally think Cavendish is a complete arsehole, but that is a horrible blow for him.

It's funny how people can make those sorts of assumptions.

Yes he's a little arrogant but he's full of self belief and thats why he's successful as he is. He's not scared of being a winner unlike most English sportsman, that probably makes him stand out from the usual bunch of sportsmen featured in British media.

You won't hear stories of him in the media about him being a bad wee boy because he doesn't get up to such hijinks, he only concentrates on his sport and being a winner.

As for being an arsehole, one of my best mates did his brand launch last year. Apparently Mark is one of the nicest sportsmen he met (to be fair he does a lot of work for Celtic too) and spent so much time talking to and getting to know the guys who work for my mate. He bought them all gifts at the end of the project and was humbled by the work my mates company did.

All the guys said he was a super down to earth bloke.

Cavandish has form for falling off. The guy is an idiot.

That's Arjen Robben you're thinking of.

An entertaining interviewee but can overstep the mark on the road in terms of bullying for position.

He's aggressive on the road but I'd have thought the viewing public would love that. I do.

Greedy_Jambo

That's Arjen Robben you're thinking of.

He crashed on stage 1 and 2 of his first tour aswell.

To be fair, sprinters crash quite a lot, that's not exclusive to Cavendish.

:shitwine:

It's funny how people can make those sorts of assumptions.

Yes he's a little arrogant but he's full of self belief and thats why he's successful as he is. He's not scared of being a winner unlike most English sportsman, that probably makes him stand out from the usual bunch of sportsmen featured in British media.

You won't hear stories of him in the media about him being a bad wee boy because he doesn't get up to such hijinks, he only concentrates on his sport and being a winner.

As for being an arsehole, one of my best mates did his brand launch last year. Apparently Mark is one of the nicest sportsmen he met (to be fair he does a lot of work for Celtic too) and spent so much time talking to and getting to know the guys who work for my mate. He bought them all gifts at the end of the project and was humbled by the work my mates company did.

All the guys said he was a super down to earth bloke.

The main interviews I've seen have been post-Olympic races where he has come up short in his hunt for a medal. He seemed very bitter, blaming Wiggins in 2008 for not doing enough to help him, and basically saying everyone was out to make sure he lost in 2012.

He is probably a lovely bloke in person, but I'm not a fan of what I've seen.

Obviously, that doesn't affect his ability as a cyclist - he's clearly one of the best out there.

Well that's 3 TDF crashes in 7 years (approx 140 stages). Not exactly reputation defining.

I think the fact that he's the British record holder with 25 stages wins in TDF may just precede his reputation.

The main interviews I've seen have been post-Olympic races where he has come up short in his hunt for a medal. He seemed very bitter, blaming Wiggins in 2008 for not doing enough to help him, and basically saying everyone was out to make sure he lost in 2012.

Obviously, that doesn't affect his ability as a cyclist - he's clearly one of the best out there.

Fair point.

Cyclists do that. If you ever think footballers were pre Madona's these guys can be very bitchy indeed.

Plus Wiggo only looks after himself. Thats why Brailsford dropped him.

He was seething after the Olympic Road Race - rightfully so, a whole bunch of other nations didn't give a shit who won, so long as it wasn't him or Team GB. It was petty retaliation for the way Sky controlled the 2012 TdF. Then he was asked by the journo if it was TdF fatigue that had cost him. He'll have taken that as a slight on his ability so reacted a bit.

He's never shied away from admitting when he'd been in the wrong and by all accounts he's generous to a fault.

I'm a big fan of his, delighted he's away from Team Sky.

Why did Wiggins not get a gig for another team?

He still rides for sky and is under contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's under contract.

There has been talk of him going back to Garmin after this season though.

Greedy_Jambo

Ah right. Another dafter question, Do the riders never need a piss with all the liquid they consume?

Ah right. Another dafter question, Do the riders never need a piss with all the liquid they consume?

Haha. If they don't sweat it out the just have to go!

Yep. They stop at the side of the road and do it. Of course the cameras try to miss this.

Mind Cadel Evans had to stop in the neutralised zone last year. Cameras thought there was something wrong with him so zoomed in, only to see he was standing with his back to the road having a wee 'comfort break' then they shot off again as fast.

It's normal for the peloton to wait for the yellow jersey to stop for a pish then they all stop at the same time and have a big group wee wee. Not even joking.

Mind Cadel Evans had to stop in the neutralised zone last year. Cameras thought there was something wrong with him so zoomed in, only to see he was standing with his back to the road having a wee 'comfort break' then they shot off again as fast.

Not as bad as the time Paula Radcliffe stopped under a bridge during the London Marathon. Cameras zoomed in then quickly cut away when they realised she was having a tam kite.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Yep. They stop at the side of the road and do it. Of course the cameras try to miss this.

Ho ho, they didn't yesterday, a nature break the commentary team called it.

It's normal for the peloton to wait for the yellow jersey to stop for a pish then they all stop at the same time and have a big group wee wee. Not even joking.

The maillot jaune is offered that kind of respect. There'd be no honour in beating someone when they've got a mechanical problem or are taking a pish. Got to beat them by racing.

This has been a ******* brilliant bike race so far.

I think the last 3 have been awesome looks like it's going to be 4 in a row.

I think the last 3 have been awesome looks like it's going to be 4 in a row.

I was just meaning the stage - agreed though, even if 2012 was a bit dull, aside from Wiggins winning.

I was just meaning the stage - agreed though, even if 2012 was a bit dull, aside from Wiggins winning.

Sky were awesome and clinical that year which made it quite something to watch. But defiantly took away from the excitement for some.

I've never cycled up Holme Moss before but if I can get my fitness back and loose a few stone then definitely going to punish myself with a pedal up there.

Tomorrow will be a straight forward stage with a bunch sprint but Wednesday will be fun as it had a lot of cobbled sections. Not for the timid.

I think Sagan has this now but I'd be delighted if Talansky managed it.

I'm ******* shit at calling this. Fair chuffed for Nibali though.

That was a brilliant stage.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Didn't see that coming. Great race.

My money is on Ninali for GC but didn't see that coming.

Very glad for Vincenzo.

And Froome showing again why he is there as number one instead of Wiggins. Wiggins would have needed carried all the way, Froome makes things happen and goes on his own. Wiggins depends on the TTs and when the only one is the second last stage that just won't work.

Defending yellow from here out will be tricky but Nibali has form for holding a lead. I don't think he's a favourite for it but if he can race like that more often than not then he'll be top 5 at least.

All roads lead to Gorgie

The timing was briliant took the sprinters right out.

Greedy_Jambo

What time and channel is the highlights on? Been watching live on itv4 but back to work tomorrow so won't have the time to watch it all.

What time and channel is the highlights on? Been watching live on itv4 but back to work tomorrow so won't have the time to watch it all.

Now ITV4 I think.

Archived