The poker thread...

The Merse

Era Macaroons
I was playing ......up winning it.

There is nothing....nothing.....more annoying when it happens to yourself.

However, I dont mind seeing this when Im playing as now I know I have some annoyed dudes who want payback at the table and one big fat whopper of a fish!

seen many folk crumble trying to get 'the lucky guy' back....(tilting i suppose.)

oh and Vul with your exit.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Merse

• Era Macaroons

• Bigsmak

• Statto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and another... this in a tourney... we are both all in pre-flop.. I have him out chipped by 200 chips?!

crazyhand.jpg

Era Macaroons

re bigs post, very nice both having str8 flush, I thought it was another Royal you were gonna show there

and justice prevailed in 2nd hand!

Walter Payton
re bigs post, very nice both having str8 flush, I thought it was another Royal you were gonna show there

and justice prevailed in 2nd hand!

Had to think about that until I thought about the cards coming in streets- bet you were crapping it after the turn! I assume you got all his chips (or doubled up) in the first hand, there's no way anyone's getting from a straight flush because they realised a higher straight flush was possible- if he had I'd be thinking we had another Ultimate Bet scandal on our hands!

Era Macaroons
Added some images to share with you guys onto photobucket.

Couple of royal flushes, a flopped straight flush and a few cheeky quads.

Enjoy.

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/DaveM1874/Poker/

BLIMEY!!!!

no wonder youve been winning......ive not seen quads for aaaaaages, royal flush ....Never had one in 1000s of hands!!

Walter Payton

I'm moving flat in the next few weeks and was looking at taking the opportunity of getting a new poker table and organising a regular home game- I've looked at the table covers you can get on e-bay, but does anyone know somewhere you can buy a decent looking table that you can either reverse the normal table top to reveal the poker felt (so it would double up as my normal kitchen table), or where you can slide a table cover on top of the felt and lock it in place? It might be that I just need to buy one of the regular table covers, but I'd prefer to have something that wouldn't slide around when somebody pushed it.

Dear oh dear oh dear. Out tournament on last hand before the break tonight.

Few limps into the pot for 200. Comes to me on the button and I have AT offsuit. I call. Small Blind makes up and Big Blind checks.

Flop comes down: QhJc4c

Big blind bets out for 400, 1 caller and it gets to me, there around 1800 in the pot at this stage and I've got position and a gutshot, felt I could take the pot down even if I didn't hit it, so I flat called.

Turn: Kh

So, I've made the nuts straight. Two players check it and I put in a bet of 700 (in hindsight far too small but I thought I was so far ahead it was fine). Both players call.

River: 4h

Big Blind now bets out for 1500, other guy pushes all in. And then its me on the button. After seeing the way these two guys had been playing (very poorly) and making plenty bluffs and loose as hell calls, I was sure I was ahead. I was certain that neither had a full house, and that the club draw on the flop had missed so I was fairly confident I was ahead unless the big blind had a stupid hand like J4 or Q4 but I didn't think they'd have checked the turn if that is what they had.

The Big Blind takes a minute or two and calls. While he is thinking, to my absolute disgust, I hadn't noticed that the turn and river had been runner runner hearts! There was a flush out there. The Big Blind calls and turns over J8 hearts and I'm a goner and he takes down a 20,000 chip pot. The other guy had AK, I knew I was beating him but obviously didn't take into account the heart flush.

Bit of an error on my part, beat myself up about it a little but thinking back on it now, there is no way I could have put him on the heart flush anyway so I reckon I'd have died on the hand anyway.

Bit of a sickener though.

Walter Payton

My posts on this thread tend to end up as long drawn out warbled bad beat stories, so I'll keep this short. I HATE muppets that think it's clever to play hands completely blind. The only people that can almost justify it are people like Annette Oberstadt with phenomenal player reading abilities- the rest of them are just complete idiots.

Era Macaroons
Dear oh dear oh dear.

Bit of a sickener though.

I dont have much sympathy for you here...yes u hit YOUR dream hand but werent paying attention to wot the other dream hands would be.

Hard one to lay down but you have to do it when its clear one of the other guys has flush.

i know u say u hadnt quite spotted flush draw...but theres 2 others in there with you in big pot....wot did you think they had??

Era Macaroons
I'm moving flat in the next few weeks and was looking at taking the opportunity of getting a new poker table and organising a regular home game- I've looked at the table covers you can get on e-bay, but does anyone know somewhere you can buy a decent looking table that you can either reverse the normal table top to reveal the poker felt (so it would double up as my normal kitchen table), or where you can slide a table cover on top of the felt and lock it in place? It might be that I just need to buy one of the regular table covers, but I'd prefer to have something that wouldn't slide around when somebody pushed it.

I havent seen a table like the one you want, its normally the 'fold out' on top jobs that Ive played on.

If you want it to double as a kitchen table your talking serious hardware, sounds good but could cost ya!

Invite me round for the christening ceremony! ;)

I dont have much sympathy for you here...yes u hit YOUR dream hand but werent paying attention to wot the other dream hands would be.

Hard one to lay down but you have to do it when its clear one of the other guys has flush.

i know u say u hadnt quite spotted flush draw...but theres 2 others in there with you in big pot....wot did you think they had??

I don't have much sympathy for myself either. I didn't notice the flush. But it was a backdoor flush and I didn't see it.

Even if I had seen I'm not sure I would have put either on a flush.

I have thought about it, Q of hearts on flop, and this guy has bet out, you'd think he'd have a Q, no? Not a jack. You don't generally bet a 4 or 5 way pot with mid pair sheckt kicker do you? AJ of hearts? maybe, but this guy would never have checked this in a blind. He was so aggressive.

I thought I had the best hand, I reckoned there was 2 pair out there, maybe a lower straight.

It's just gutting because I only seen the flush after I'd put my chips in. If I'd noticed it before I might, just might have got away from it. I'm not sure I would have but at least I'd have had a chance to think about it.

In Absentia
My posts on this thread tend to end up as long drawn out warbled bad beat stories, so I'll keep this short. I HATE muppets that think it's clever to play hands completely blind. The only people that can almost justify it are people like Annette Oberstadt with phenomenal player reading abilities- the rest of them are just complete idiots.

oh dear. Its always really hard to play somewhere like Dianes. So many novices/donkeys you never know where you are. One of the reason I dont play there any more except for tonight lol.

Any of you guys ever played Omaha?

So much fun compared to Texas, low limit stakes on these games is great fun to play, nice change.

Walter Payton
oh dear. Its always really hard to play somewhere like Dianes. So many novices/donkeys you never know where you are. One of the reason I dont play there any more except for tonight lol.

How did you end up doing? Who won it (that might be a similar question!)- the most frustrating thing is that Mark would have a reputation as being a good player (somebody said he won Edinburgh over all)- what sort of good player plays like that?

Walter Payton

So much fun compared to Texas, low limit stakes on these games is great fun to play, nice change.

Played a bit of Omaha, quite enjoy it. Not as many people understand the intricacies of the game though (I wouldn't claim to!) and it seems to me its hard to find a good game of Omaha where you can enjoy testing your skill- think there's an even higher number of people that just go "fishing" than there is in Hold-em if that's possible.

Walter Payton
I havent seen a table like the one you want, its normally the 'fold out' on top jobs that Ive played on.

If you want it to double as a kitchen table your talking serious hardware, sounds good but could cost ya!

Invite me round for the christening ceremony! ;)

Joking aside, there might be invitations for a regular home game for people on here if they want one. I was thinking about making it a regular night, but from experience if you try and organise a regular 8 handed game (for example) with just 8 people you'll be struggling pretty often as people are away or can't make it. Think it would be better to have a regular pool of about 20 people then the first 8 people to say each week that they wanted to play would get the seats. Not sure about whether to play a ring game or sit and goes, depends what people's bankrolls could extend to I guess (and maybe looking at relevant laws might be worthwhile about what level of games would be allowed).

In Absentia
How did you end up doing? Who won it (that might be a similar question!)- the most frustrating thing is that Mark would have a reputation as being a good player (somebody said he won Edinburgh over all)- what sort of good player plays like that?

The guy with the pony tail won it. Cant remember his name. I made an arse of a hand with a really bad check/call just before the final table which left me short stacked after building a decent stack and ended up 6th.

Never played with that guy but if he wants to play like that then he will lose more than he wins.

Walter Payton
The guy with the pony tail won it. Cant remember his name. I made an arse of a hand with a really bad check/call just before the final table which left me short stacked after building a decent stack and ended up 6th.

Never played with that guy but if he wants to play like that then he will lose more than he wins.

Pawel the Polish viking lookalike?

In Absentia

I really enjoy Omaha but havent got round to actually learning it properly.

I think Ill read a book on it after ive finished Gus Hansen's book which I have been enjoying.

Any recommendations for Omaha books?

Sexton Hardcastle
Another nice little pic for you

straightflushes.jpg

If you had been playing on the site that pays out the "bad beat jackpot" you adn the whole table would of scooped a fortune. Youtube it . Some mugs are playing 25 and 50 cent blinds and some how a guy looses a straight flush to a higher one and the "jackpot" is divided amongst the whole table. Somthing like $800k. The looser and the winner got the most but the chumps doing nothing still got around $50k. Pretty insane.

Walter Payton
Nah the other guy. Stu maybe?

Know what you mean about Stu's play, but he's a decent guy so I'm glad he won it- also don't think he was in any position to catch me in the league, so that's good too! Gus Hansen's book's superb, he makes it seem so easy (guess that's always the case when you win a tournament). Annoying number of obviously wrong hand descriptions though (especially the ones where he'd have required a 53 card deck!)

I really enjoy Omaha but havent got round to actually learning it properly.

I think Ill read a book on it after ive finished Gus Hansen's book which I have been enjoying.

Any recommendations for Omaha books?

I've never actually read any poker books.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Walter Payton

Gus Hansen's "Every Hand Revealed" is definitely worth a read, helps you understand the thinking behind his more aggressive style a bit more. Very readable and you can choose to read it in small sections or in the chapters- I found myself reading certain hands again and again to see if there was anything I wanted to incorporate into my game. One of these things where thousands will read the book, but maybe only a handful will ever be able to really put the ideas into practice.

I'm reading "Read 'Em and Reap" just now, can't remember the name of the author (former FBI guy) but they've got Phil Helmuth as the co-author (guess I've just fallen deliberately into their ploy!). Sometimes it comes across as if the author's trying to teach the reader to suck eggs, but it gives food for thought as to how to practice reading people and tells to look for. It's definitely an area of my game I want to improve, particularly when the top players around here don't seem to be seperated by much in terms of pure strategic ability.

Era Macaroons

Not really got into Omaha.

For books I was always told to read Doyle Bruson's "Super system" as its ' the bible'

Its worth a read....u can borrow it off me if u want, Ive also just bought '30 poker books' off e-bay for 3 quid!

I havent used it yet and dont know which titles are on the disc , but again u can borrow it.

Narrative Arc

?0 bboks for 3 quid? ah. I've jsut bought 4 for 40 out of waterstones. what a clown! Once agin ah.

Era Macaroons
?0 bboks for 3 quid? ah. I've jsut bought 4 for 40 out of waterstones. what a clown! Once agin ah.

its 30 books on a CD.....which I havent checked out yet.....u may well still have the best deal!

Narrative Arc

I bought

Play Poker Like the Pro- Phil Helmuth Jr

Making the final table. - Erick Lindgren

Killer Poker On-Line John Vorhaus

The Poker Tournament Formula- Arnold Snyder.

Phil helmuth (is jr the only one or is there a anothere one) is the only one i've heard of. this seemed to be the best that Waterstones had to offer.

Anybody read any of these and could i have got 4 better books to start off with? ta

Era Macaroons
Joking aside, there might be invitations for a regular home game for people on here if they want one. I was thinking about making it a regular night, but from experience if you try and organise a regular 8 handed game (for example) with just 8 people you'll be struggling pretty often as people are away or can't make it. Think it would be better to have a regular pool of about 20 people then the first 8 people to say each week that they wanted to play would get the seats. Not sure about whether to play a ring game or sit and goes, depends what people's bankrolls could extend to I guess (and maybe looking at relevant laws might be worthwhile about what level of games would be allowed).

I'd be up for this (how did you guess), and agree you would need a squad to keep it going each week.

P.S. love the disclaimer;)

Era Macaroons
I bought

Play Poker Like the Pro- Phil Helmuth Jr

Making the final table. - Erick Lindgren

Killer Poker On-Line John Vorhaus

The Poker Tournament Formula- Arnold Snyder.

Phil helmuth (is jr the only one or is there a anothere one) is the only one i've heard of. this seemed to be the best that Waterstones had to offer.

Anybody read any of these and could i have got 4 better books to start off with? ta

Havent read any of the ones you've purchased.

This might sound insane but reading poker books actually started putting me OFF my game!!

My natural instinct was stopped in its tracks as I pondered what various authors would do!!....but of course, you will learn from the books.

That CD I got seems OK, (30 E-books) , it includes stuff from Brunson/O'Meara/Lederer/Stam to name of few....also a couple of books on 'intro to probability theory' and 'mathematics of gambling'.

PM me if u want to have the hard disk for free (any of you), I'm finished with it now.... I can pass it on to you on saturday before/after the match.

I'd be up for playing in a home game a couple of times a month if theres an invitation going:)

Narrative Arc
Havent read any of the ones you've purchased.

This might sound insane but reading poker books actually started putting me OFF my game!!

My natural instinct was stopped in its tracks as I pondered what various authors would do!!....but of course, you will learn from the books.

That CD I got seems OK, (30 E-books) , it includes stuff from Brunson/O'Meara/Lederer/Stam to name of few....also a couple of books on 'intro to probability theory' and 'mathematics of gambling'.

PM me if u want to have the hard disk for free (any of you), I'm finished with it now.... I can pass it on to you on saturday before/after the match.

Your right. After getting about halfway through 2 of them, as soon as i start playing, i just do start playing my own way again. My own mistakes make me think more about it. i'm probably better having a week or two off and putting things like tournament strategy to better effect. the problem is i have only started really playing about 6-7 weeks ago and it is freakin addictive. Can't see myself taken a week of.. this game quickly gets you.

Just had a belting hand online there, god knows what the guy was playing but he mucked at the end of the hand!

Had 45 on the big blind, playing 25/50p.

Flop comes down

A23

I check, guy bets 50p, I raise it to ?1, he raises it to ?3, I raise it to ?6, he raises it to ?12, I raise it again and he pushes all in. Obviously call.

Turn comes another 2 which was a bit of a scare card for me (cards don't turn over on sky until river, even then its still optional if you've lost!)

Then river a harmless 8.

Nice wee ?70 pot but god knows what the guy was playing to keep raising my re-raises, I had to have something like 45 to keep coming back over the top of him.

:confused:

Just had a belting hand online there, god knows what the guy was playing but he mucked at the end of the hand!

Had 45 on the big blind, playing 25/50p.

Flop comes down

A23

I check, guy bets 50p, I raise it to ?1, he raises it to ?3, I raise it to ?6, he raises it to ?12, I raise it again and he pushes all in. Obviously call.

Turn comes another 2 which was a bit of a scare card for me (cards don't turn over on sky until river, even then its still optional if you've lost!)

Then river a harmless 8.

Nice wee ?70 pot but god knows what the guy was playing to keep raising my re-raises, I had to have something like 45 to keep coming back over the top of him.

:confused:

What site are you on?

If you look at your last hands? or your hand histories Or in poker tracker it will tell you the hole cards if it goes to a showdown.

I know pokerstars and full tilt do this

What site are you on?

If you look at your last hands? or your hand histories Or in poker tracker it will tell you the hole cards if it goes to a showdown.

I know pokerstars and full tilt do this

Sky Poker, its absolutely gash so I'm not sure it'll have this.

Its not even software you have to download, its just a pop-up window from their website!

Well, was happy for all of 20 minutes there. Just got ****ed with aces.

Raised to 3 quid, blinds 25/50p.

2 calls

Flop comes down 727.

Guy checks, I bet, guy calls and other guy goes all in for 40 quid.

Please tell me you guys would have called this bet too?

The c u n t had called my pre-flop raise with 73.

@ D...for ?40,

against one player defo, against 2....probably still would !...but I'd be hating it!

I hated making the call. But how the heck can I put him on a 7.

:sad:

Walter Payton
I hated making the call. But how the heck can I put him on a 7.

:sad:

The only way you'd think he could have a 7 would be if he had pocket 7s, but even then his preflop call would have been questionable unless he had position and a decent stack.

Chris Benoit
Another Royal Flush for you

anotherroyalflush.jpg

Nice going, so how many royal flushes you had? Been playing online for 3 years and in the pub league for 6 months and hit 1 (playing omaha) never hit a straight flush!

Quick wee question for the boys playing the pub league it it the nuts poker league you're in?

Nice going, so how many royal flushes you had? Been playing online for 3 years and in the pub league for 6 months and hit 1 (playing omaha) never hit a straight flush!

Quick wee question for the boys playing the pub league it it the nuts poker league you're in?

That is a straight flush:wacko:

In Absentia

Yeah I play in the Nuts. Mainly at the Antiquary in Stockbridge on Tuesday nights but I make the occasional visit to Diane's Pool Hall on a Monday if I don't go to the Casino.

Good days work today.

Ground out ?130 profit playing 15/25p blinds on WillHill today.

Then went on 888.com where me and my mate have started a joint bankroll. Turned $200 into $1,300 in 2 sessions, playing $2/4 blinds.

Faith restored slightly after a slight ropey spell on Sky last week.

:)