Tim Sherwood

scott_jambo

You seem to think the quality of this squad is "mid-table". That in it's self is laughably wrong. Stick the two players I suggested in there:

Lloris

Walker Hummels Vertonghen Rose

Sandro Dembele

Lamela Kroos Eriksen

Soldado

Easily up there when the team gelled.

They are currently 7th, which I would consider mid-table (basically anyone below European qualification but not in relegation danger). I doubt they will finish much higher than that this season, and doubt they will win the title, or even be in contention (hence "also-rans").

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are currently 7th, which I would consider mid-table (basically anyone below European qualification but not in relegation danger). I doubt they will finish much higher than that this season, and doubt they will win the title, or even be in contention (hence "also-rans").

I think that all depends if Levy trusts Sherwood to make a signing or two in January. Personally I think a sale is more possible.

Eriksen is a fantastic player who hasn't had a chance yet due to injuries.

Gatsby, I wouldn't have Dembele in the team tbh.

Given Adebayor's last performance, i'd like to see Soldado and Ade up front together, similar to when Pellegrini puts Negrado and Dzeko up top together.

Eriksen is a fantastic player who hasn't had a chance yet due to injuries.

I've got a feeling he might not be a player Sherwood utilises properly.

I think that all depends if Levy trusts Sherwood to make a signing or two in January. Personally I think a sale is more possible.

Yes, clearly some good signings can boost their chances of finishing higher than seventh. For clarity, I'm not saying Spurs are shite, or that the players brought in in the summer aren't good enough to form the basis of a squad that can challenge. Personally, I haven't seen enough of the likes of Soldado, Eriksen and Lamela to pass long-term judgement, but based on what I have seen, I think the squad is at least a couple of top quality signings away from being genuine contenders, and probably hundreds of millions away from "strolling" the league...

I've got a feeling he might not be a player Sherwood utilises properly.

He'll probs just give the same tactical instructions he gave Adebayor.

Sherwood:

All I?ve said is, ?There you go Ade, I want you to attack. Go out, crack on and do what you do?. It?s a simple game.?

Adebayor:

?He (Sherwood) told me, ?I need you, get out there, play your football, I will not tell you anything, you have been around the block?,? he said.

Crack on Eriksen, crack on.

Playing Dembele deep, even if he has a license to get forward from a starting DCM is a waste. I'd have him on the left of a 3-man attacking line behind Adebayor as the spearhead. I might even play him in the hole to see what he could do, otherwise I think Soldado could do some damage in there, not necessarily putting away all the chances but creating as well. Paulinho could still play in beside Sandro however his speed of distribution forward seems laboured. I've not seen enough of Capoue or Bentela or Holtby to decide whether they could fulfill that role.

I'm obviously discussing possibilities with the current squad he has at his disposal. Like others , I feel he needs more than anything, a midfielder to control the tempo, whether in transition or when they dominate possession in the opposition's half. A centre back would be my next purchase.

Playing Dembele deep, even if he has a license to get forward from a starting DCM is a waste. I'd have him on the left of a 3-man attacking line behind Adebayor as the spearhead. I might even play him in the hole to see what he could do, otherwise I think Soldado could do some damage in there, not necessarily putting away all the chances but creating as well. Paulinho could still play in beside Sandro however his speed of distribution forward seems laboured. I've not seen enough of Capoue or Bentela or Holtby to decide whether they could fulfill that role.

I'm obviously discussing possibilities with the current squad he has at his disposal. Like others , I feel he needs more than anything, a midfielder to control the tempo, whether in transition or when they dominate possession in the opposition's half. A centre back would be my next purchase.

Having watched Dembele flourish as a CM or ACM at Fulham, its an absolute waste to play him anywhere else, either as a holding player or wide forward.

He has neither the pace or range for either of these positions.

His ability and technique on the ball however is up there with the best in the league.

Sherwood:

All I?ve said is, ?There you go Ade, I want you to attack. Go out, crack on and do what you do?. It?s a simple game.?

Adebayor:

?He (Sherwood) told me, ?I need you, get out there, play your football, I will not tell you anything, you have been around the block?,? he said.

When have you ever heard a new or interim manager ever say any diffirent? In fact, when does any manager discuss the intricacies of tactics or motivation in post match interviews?

The fact he has got a guy who has barely had a game in 2 years playing so well must say something for him.

Why is this a negative?

When have you ever heard a new or interim manager ever say any diffirent? In fact, when does any manager discuss the intricacies of tactics or motivation in post match interviews?

The fact he has got a guy who has barely had a game in 2 years playing so well must say something for him.

Why is this a negative?

Knowing Adebayor, he was always going to turn it on after AVB was sacked. Sherwood will take all the accolades for "getting the performance" out of him. Actually - it probably secured him the job. IMO, there is no causal link between Sherwood saying "You've been round the block, crack on." and Adebayors performance, however the English media won't see it that way, it fits nicely with the narrative of foreign coaches tactically confusing defensive tactics V good English coach who gets the best out of the players by tellin them to crack on.

Adebayor deciding to turn it on and score two goals against Southampton could turn out to be the most damaging game for Spurs as a club in their recent history.

Having watched Dembele flourish as a CM or ACM at Fulham, its an absolute waste to play him anywhere else, either as a holding player or wide forward.

He has neither the pace or range for either of these positions.

His ability and technique on the ball however is up there with the best in the league.

As a holding player I completely agree with you, and to a lesser extent the AM (in the hole) - I was just thinking aloud, trying to get Soldado in there too. In fact I could see Adebayor dragging the defenders deep opening up space between the lines for Dembele to come inside and cause havoc with Soldado and Dembele. Paulinho and Sandro to drop back and cover the left flank with Rose and/or when he's overlapping.

Dembele looks unfit just now too - needs to shed a few pounds to play further up - that might be why he's been played further back to date, or indeed why he has put on the beef.

And yes, fully agree, as an attacking forward with the ability to beat the man off the dribble in the final third, there are few others in the BPL better placed.

I was quite impressed with Fulham in their last game - they were unlucky to lose.

The team against Southampton was the most tactically naive outfit I've seen thrown together all season, and I've been to Dens Park.

I can't believe we actually won!

4-4-2 with Eriksen, Sigurdsson, Dembele and Lamela all in midfield. Madness.

We may become good to watch again, but I'd rather have Champions League and Tim Sherwood is not the fan to take us there.

Excellent stuff from Peebo on this thread. Utter, utter garbage from Bunter as per.

That Spurs squad isn't good enough because it doesn't have reliable goalscorers. That seems to me to be far more the reason why they've been scraping through so many games this season than AVB's style of play. They went out and spent 100m on players who enhanced the quantity of the squad - but the quality, at the level they aspire to? No.

And the reason for that is something Bunter, and so many football fans, always miss. Spurs were never going to sign Ozil because they're not in the CL, and their wage structure prevents them from shopping for the very best players. A club's wage bill is far, far more of an accurate indicator of where it'll end up than the transfer fees it spends - and Tottenham's wage bill is 6th in the league.

That squad would only "walk the league" if they signed 5 or 6 real quality players - but they can't, because they're Spurs. So they're messed.

The team against Southampton was the most tactically naive outfit I've seen thrown together all season, and I've been to Dens Park.

I can't believe we actually won!

4-4-2 with Eriksen, Sigurdsson, Dembele and Lamela all in midfield. Madness.

We may become good to watch again, but I'd rather have Champions League and Tim Sherwood is not the fan to take us there.

In away games against opponents who aren't riddled with injuries, I dread to think what's going to happen. Really, I do. 8th place beckons IMO.

Sherwood, incidentally, has been on Spurs News today, declaring that if "you were to cut him in half, he'd bleed the colour of this club". This gets more cliched, desperate and embarrassing by the minute. The lady doth protest far, far too much.

Sherwood, incidentally, has been on Spurs News today, declaring that if "you were to cut him in half, he'd bleed the colour of this club". This gets more cliched, desperate and embarrassing by the minute. The lady doth protest far, far too much.

Ohh, I don't doubt what he says actually, because that appears to be the type of person/personality he is ... may well be a Gooner at hearts but he's in this for Tim Sherwood, I guarantee you that.

I have my doubts too, but he may well have the ability to get the most out of what he has available to him. That doesn't necessarily mean Spurs will succeed (whatever that means this year) .... plenty of us have been banging on about the purchases - most are quality players, just maybe not enough quality.

Gregory House M.D.

Spurs are about 2 or 3 quality players from being able to win that league. End of story, lawson.

The EPL is utter guff. Live with it.

Spurs are about 2 or 3 quality players from being able to win that league. End of story, lawson.

The EPL's very good. It's Man Utd who're utter guff.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Assuming people are taking City as the favourites, how many Spurs players would get into the City first team? Lloris, Vertonghen alongside Kompany, maybe Sandro or Dembele in the middle. You could make a case for Walker but I'd take Zabaleta over him.

For me, that's the difference between being able to break into the top 4 and being able to win the league. Quality and world class quality.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

Gregory House M.D.

The EPL's very good. It's Man Utd who're utter guff.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

United are guff this season. Utter shite actually. Yet they're still only 8 points off the pace. Woeful.

Gregory House M.D.

Assuming people are taking City as the favourites, how many Spurs players would get into the City first team? Lloris, Vertonghen alongside Kompany, maybe Sandro or Dembele in the middle. You could make a case for Walker but I'd take Zabaleta over him.

For me, that's the difference between being able to break into the top 4 and being able to win the league. Quality and world class quality.

Eriksen on his game would get in City's team as would Lamela.

As I've said I believe they are 2 quality players away from at least title contenders.

People seem to be judging this Spurs side on this seasons results but you just have to look at the overall quality of these players. Eriksen, Lamela, Vertonghen, Rose, Dembele, Sandro, Lloris, Soldado, Sigurdsson and co. For me are among the most entertaining and potentially brilliant players in the EPL.

City are always a Kompany injury or a Toure YaYa ANC away from being bang average.

Arsenal are a decent side this year but again drop Ozil or Ramsey and they are yad.

Chelsea have been struggling as well.

Spurs are what, 6 points off top? Stick a playmaker in there or manage the ones they have properly to connect defence to attack and they'd be right up there. A side that hasn't gelled and is being played rather defensively and all over the place recently yet they are a mere 6 points behind Liverpool and Arsenal.

Which brings another point, Liverpool added one good player to a pretty average squad and are sitting top. Let's no kid on City are miles ahead because they simply aren't right now.

Sherwood:

Adebayor:

Do you think players always need over complicated instructions? The best managers(not saying Sherwood is) don`t tell good players how to play the game, players with a good brain............. Yes, they need pointers during a game if things aren`t working or maybe a specific instruction to play against a certain type of player, but theres always a danger of taking the football out of a player by hampering them with tactics.

The simplest things are the best. If you have a good technical player , let him do what he does best. Tactics are for the less educated imo.

Eriksen on his game would get in City's team as would Lamela.

Not on form so far. Both should be quality players but they have to find that form at Spurs before you can say they'd get into other teams in the league. I actually thought about Lamela but considering he's mainly played right wing when I've seen him this season you have to compare him to Navas who's had a much better start.

I like Erikson as a player but for me he still isn't at that level of Man City's midfielders - I'd take Yaya, Silva or even Fernandinho ahead of him in the creative role.

It's aside from the point though, if they actually keep Sherwood until the next season there's no point even considering if they could win the leage.

Rudolf's Mate

Personally I can't believe people are getting their knickers in a twist over the appointment of Sherwood!

They've lost by far their most consistent and influential player whom was also their main goal threat.

They've just spunked 100 million on several players yet their combined contribution haven't come close to the contribution of the the one player they got rid of.

Its unlikely that anyone coming in would have been given any funds in the next transfer market making Sherwood the perfect option.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

He's still a clown.

Villas Boas went to Old Trafford and beat Alex Ferguson's Manchester United but I bet that will be swept under the rug.

kingantti1874

He's still a clown.

Villas Boas went to Old Trafford and beat Alex Ferguson's Manchester United but I bet that will be swept under the rug.

Gareth bale beat Alex fegusons Utd..

Tommy Wiseau

Interview hilarious again: "how does it feel to heat United at Old Trafford?"

"Well I thought we were poor"

:lol:

Well, I'm looking a bit silly here.

For what it's worth I think Sherwood will still be awful, but credit where it's due.

• 2 months later...
scott_jambo

Imagine being a young manager and having an absence of a philosophy on how you'd like the game to be played - giving it the "it's all about the results" rhetoric, as if he's been around the block a few times and writing off managers like AVB for trying to implement a philosophy or ideas onto their team. Don't they know it's just about results?

The players obviously didn't like AVB, especially 'arry's favourites - that's clear to see. The more I read about Sherwood is that he's a kleiping wee leetch. If a big as Spurs with all that money take on a manager with an absence of a long-term plan/project then more the fool them. How utterly depressing it would be to be a Spurs fan.

It's him. He's the snake.

Levy can't be so stupid as to reward his treachery with the job, shirley?

:indeed:

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Rumours flying about that he punched one of his own players in the dressing room after today's game.

I don't believe it for a minute, but I bet it happens more often than we're made to believe (not necessarily managers, but player on player).

Tommy Wiseau

Sacked AVB and replaced him with Tim Sherwood.

MASTERSTROKE.

:rofl:

Imagine spending ?100m on players and then handing them over to the guy with the IQ of 46 who folds the bibs :lol:

Now imagine you sacked the man who had the best win record of any manager at the club for generations in order to instal him :lol:

It beggars belief :lol:

Carl Fredrickson

Binned in the summer, official :jjyay:

Where did you hear/read this?

Most pleasing if true :2thumbsup:

Tommy Wiseau

It's on Sky Sports News now. Can't wait to see the ****'s comments to the media mePvR5.gif

Quote from a Dutch named source in the Observer last week saying Levy has already had talks with van Gaal and it's a done deal that he starts in the summer. I don't recall exactly but is van Gaal the Russia coach ?

rossthejambo

I'm stunned at this news. Looking forward to him taking the huff tonight :jjyay:

What is it with the Sherwood-hating?

He's a snakey *****.

Delighted he'll be signing on soon enough.

Hanging's too good.

jamboinglasgow

Quote from a Dutch named source in the Observer last week saying Levy has already had talks with van Gaal and it's a done deal that he starts in the summer. I don't recall exactly but is van Gaal the Russia coach ?

No he is the Dutch coach.

Tommy Wiseau

What is it with the Sherwood-hating?

Arrogant welt.

Leaked information to the press to get AVB sacked and stuck the knife in him in the boardroom to get the job for himself.

Is an utter cretin, yet is under the impression he is a deep thinker.

The similarities to Pressley are striking :muggy:

Archived