Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

OK.  How did you arrive at a box that size, roughly a 4-foot cube?

50 in a row is 1150 mm

40 high is 120mm

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

OK.  How did you arrive at a box that size, roughly a 4-foot cube?

I put an extra 0 in the original post

2 minutes ago, obua said:

I put an extra 0 in the original post

You need that extra 0.

50 x50 x 40 is only 100k.

1 hour ago, obua said:

1150mm x 1150mm x 120mm high.

11 minutes ago, obua said:

50 in a row is 1150 mm

40 high is 120mm

I flunked at arithmetic and that was decades ago, so please bear with me.

The two posts above suggest that you would have 50 rows, each with 50 coins, piled 40 coins high.  If I've interpreted that correctly, doesn't that only amount to 100,000 coins?

EDIT.  I see Lemongrab beat me to it

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

The box could be a variety of different shapes but the internal volume will always be the same. 

You'd want to minimise empty space surely?

I'd suggest that it would be an idea to investigate a dodecagonal prism with the layers of pound coins arranged thus...

bigdotri.gif

ps - not done any sums on it yet meself.

Savage Vince
On 09/08/2021 at 22:33, Lemongrab said:

It might have been a Fine Fare before it was a Gateway. I think Gateway, who later changed their name to Somerfield, bought out Fine Fare.

Gateway definitely bought over Fine Fare. 

Remember stopping on the way to Ayr United and getting a cargo singing 🎶 we're all going to Fine Fare to buy the cheapest wine there 🎶 🙂

Paddy Crossan
41 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Gateway definitely bought over Fine Fare. 

Remember stopping on the way to Ayr United and getting a cargo singing 🎶 we're all going to Fine Fare to buy the cheapest wine there 🎶 🙂

Was it Coopers Fine Fare before that? In mid 70s after school I stacked the shelf’s in Coopers Fine Fare next door to Musselburgh Police station.

Savage Vince
56 minutes ago, Paddy Crossan said:

Was it Coopers Fine Fare before that? In mid 70s after school I stacked the shelf’s in Coopers Fine Fare next door to Musselburgh Police station.

Not sure, you're older than me 😁

7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

If you were asked to build a box, or even buy a box, that was big enough to hold one million one-pound coins, how big would the box need to be?

It's surprising how those Kickback subscriptions mount up.  🤔

32 minutes ago, Beni said:

It's surprising how those Kickback subscriptions mount up.  🤔

:rofl: Very good!

I P Knightley

See on the M8 going west? Just after Junction 4, before you get to Harthill, there's a thing on the left that looks a bit like the loudspeaker from the tellietubbies poking up over the trees.

What is it?

Dennis Reynolds
13 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

See on the M8 going west? Just after Junction 4, before you get to Harthill, there's a thing on the left that looks a bit like the loudspeaker from the tellietubbies poking up over the trees.

What is it?

Apparently it is actually a speaker.

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/scottish-fact-day-m8-motorway-sculptures-1519468

The Horn, Matthew Dalziel / Louise Scullion, 1997

Perhaps the most noticeable of all the sculptures is The Horn, located in Polkemmet Country Park in West Lothian.

The idea behind the 79ft-high stainless steel sculpture, which overlooks the motorway between Whitburn and Harthill, was to communicate with passing vehicles.

Commissioned by West Lothian Council and designed by Dundee artists Matthew Dalziel and Louise Scullion, The Horn broadcasts music, poetry and famous quotes at traffic on the west-bound carriageway in windy weather.

It was inaugurated in November 1997 by the chairman of the Scottish Arts Council, Magnus Linklater

I have never heard anything come from it tbh.

13 hours ago, LMc said:

Apparently it is actually a speaker.

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/scottish-fact-day-m8-motorway-sculptures-1519468

I have never heard anything come from it tbh.

They switched it off within about 6 months because some houses about a mile away complained that the racket travelled...Artists eh? not much planning put into that one!

7 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Could a human survive on dog food? 

Is there any benifits to drinking your own pee? 

The dog food bit, kind of. It's not poisonous, in fact, it legally has to be safe for human consumption. However, it wouldn't have all the vitamins and minerals you'd need, so if it was a case of stuck with dog food for ever, you'd probably develop health issues over time. 

57 minutes ago, Norm said:

The dog food bit, kind of. It's not poisonous, in fact, it legally has to be safe for human consumption. However, it wouldn't have all the vitamins and minerals you'd need, so if it was a case of stuck with dog food for ever, you'd probably develop health issues over time. 

Apparently, cat food is bad for us. Always mind hearing that.

15 minutes ago, Pap said:

Apparently, cat food is bad for us. Always mind hearing that.

Yeah my cat would kill me if I ate his food. He has no problem trying to share mine, especially bacon and eggs, but I get the stare if I so much as mention him sharing his...

More of a looking for opinions than a question as such.

Bloke my sister and I palled about with when we were wee is getting married (I only know because his Mum told my Mum) I've bumped into him a couple of times over the last 20 years and said hello but that's about it for contact. My sister wants us to club together to get them vouchers for a fancy meal as a wedding present. 

To me that seems weird, I'm not invited to the wedding (understandably because I'm not in contact). If the situation was reversed, I'd feel that I was then due them something or am I just being tight?

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Bloke my sister and I palled about with when we were wee is getting married (I only know because his Mum told my Mum) I've bumped into him a couple of times over the last 20 years and said hello but that's about it for contact. My sister wants us to club together to get them vouchers for a fancy meal as a wedding present. 

To me that seems weird, I'm not invited to the wedding (understandably because I'm not in contact). If the situation was reversed, I'd feel that I was then due them something or am I just being tight?

dont get them anything, if you are not in contact with them or invited to the wedding you dont get them anything

30 minutes ago, Alex said:

Absolutely no chance. I’d be mortified if I was the couple getting married too and you did that. 

43 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

dont get them anything, if you are not in contact with them or invited to the wedding you dont get them anything

21 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Absolutely no chance. I’d be mortified if I was the couple getting married too and you did that. 

Cheers, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me being tight.  I'll suggest we just send a card.

17 hours ago, Norm said:

Plus a constant urge to drink out of the toilet.

Been travelling to Edinburgh alot recently as has my partner and pretty much every to and from journey there has been inexplainable congestion on the bridge. No idea why, it literally baffles me because as you get to the other side its open road. 

Was the old bridge a 50? Seem to remember it was. Folk go over this one slower than the last.

14 hours ago, Alex said:

Absolutely not.

Konrad von Carstein
30 minutes ago, 151 said:

Been travelling to Edinburgh alot recently as has my partner and pretty much every to and from journey there has been inexplainable congestion on the bridge. No idea why, it literally baffles me because as you get to the other side its open road. 

Was the old bridge a 50? Seem to remember it was. Folk go over this one slower than the last.

That really annoys the hell out of me...Took Mrs KvC to the airport on Saturday huge tailbacks both ways....then yesterday was similar but not as bad....must be bedlam at peak times...

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Do gingers go grey as they get older?

Chris Evans and Paul Scholes would confirm this to be yes, they do. 👍 

18 hours ago, Alex said:

Get them nothing! I hate this patter its worse in work offices a kitty or clubbing together for someone 1 you don't really know 2 you don't like or 3 you just don't want too 

Haha 

5 hours ago, 151 said:

I've noticed this almost every time I go over the bridge. I have a theory; some stupid people think they can just slow down to enjoy the view.

adambraejambo
50 minutes ago, stevieboobs said:

Why is the background on car front number plates white and orange on the rear ones?

It so you know if you looking at the front  or back of a car. Lol kid you not......following is a click and paste.

According to the DVLA, the plates every car carries in the UK are different in colour for a simple reason. By having a yellow number plate at the rear and white plate at the front other drivers can quickly assess at a glance if they’re looking at the front or rear of a vehicle. This information then allows them to weigh up the likelihood of the vehicle either coming towards them or moving away from them.

21 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

It so you know if you looking at the front  or back of a car. Lol kid you not......following is a click and paste.

According to the DVLA, the plates every car carries in the UK are different in colour for a simple reason. By having a yellow number plate at the rear and white plate at the front other drivers can quickly assess at a glance if they’re looking at the front or rear of a vehicle. This information then allows them to weigh up the likelihood of the vehicle either coming towards them or moving away from them.

i believe they chose white and yellow because they give the best contrast with black letters.

Why are dreams so hard to remember. You could be in a deep sleep dreaming wake up and right away try to remember what you were dreaming about and can’t. Also sometimes you have a dream and can remember quite well and tell it to someone what happened.

Strange 

edit - see the dreams I have and I’m playing football at Tynecastle I always wake up or I can’t run then I wake up  😂  I then try get back into the dream and I can’t 😂😂

Edited by Stu_HMFC

On 23/08/2021 at 23:05, Stu_HMFC said:

Why are dreams so hard to remember. You could be in a deep sleep dreaming wake up and right away try to remember what you were dreaming about and can’t. Also sometimes you have a dream and can remember quite well and tell it to someone what happened.

Strange 

edit - see the dreams I have and I’m playing football at Tynecastle I always wake up or I can’t run then I wake up  😂  I then try get back into the dream and I can’t 😂😂

Dreams are feckin mental, or at least mines are. I'm a light sleeper so tend to dream a lot and I remember most of them but as you say, some more than others. I have the 'playing for Hearts' dream too. Can't run and never in control of the ball. Also have a golf one where the balls are out of shape (arf!) and the tee is about a foot out of the ground...............bizarre.

Anyway, came on to ask about something totally different. Just been watching Air Crash Investigation and they were trying to recover the black box and flight data recorder. Why don't they have CCTV in the cockpit to record everything and have it all saved so they can play it back and determine exactly what went wrong in the first place?

On 23/08/2021 at 23:05, Stu_HMFC said:

Strange 

I'm no expert but it was once described to me as your dreams being an output from the brain. Normally things happen and the brain soaks it up and stores to 'memory'. Dreams are an output that the brain has no intention of storing so you find it very hard to remember unless you wake as its happening. Might be BS I suppose but makes sense to me.

Edited by Loorimer

10 minutes ago, Loorimer said:

I'm no expert but it was once described to me as your dreams being an output from the brain. Normally things happen and the brain soaks it up and stores to 'memory'. Dreams are an output that the brain has no intention of storing so you find it very hard to remember unless you wake as its happening. Might be BS I suppose but makes sense to me.

I do like my football dreams especially the ones playing for Hearts 😁Then i wake up 

47 minutes ago, JWL said:

Dreams are feckin mental, or at least mines are. I'm a light sleeper so tend to dream a lot and I remember most of them but as you say, some more than others. I have the 'playing for Hearts' dream too. Can't run and never in control of the ball. Also have a golf one where the balls are out of shape (arf!) and the tee is about a foot out of the ground...............bizarre.

Anyway, came on to ask about something totally different. Just been watching Air Crash Investigation and they were trying to recover the black box and flight data recorder. Why don't they have CCTV in the cockpit to record everything and have it all saved so they can play it back and determine exactly what went wrong in the first place?

Dreams usually occur during REM sleep, which means they happen several times a night.  The ones you remember are the ones that were happening when you wake up.  The memories of the dreams fade very quickly.

There are lots of unanswered questions about dreams, like why do we dream, why do we sometimes have nightmares, do dreams mean anything?  It's likely that stress levels are a factor, as are chemical levels in the brain.  A have very few dreams that I would describe as pleasant, and I think JKB is to blame. :wink:

Салатные палочки

I was reading an old news article today and they used "to-day". I've noticed this a few times before and wondered when "to-day" became simply "today". The article was from 1972 so it's not necessarily going back too long. 

Really boring I know, but I wonder when the hyphen was dropped. 

40 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I was reading an old news article today and they used "to-day". I've noticed this a few times before and wondered when "to-day" became simply "today". The article was from 1972 so it's not necessarily going back too long. 

Really boring I know, but I wonder when the hyphen was dropped. 

Like Mid-Lothian.

kawasakijambo
4 hours ago, JWL said:

Pilots don't want it, they think it is spying. They have a valid argument.

Konrad von Carstein

Why has my pup started to scuttle along when shiting, makes the poop collection more difficult than it needs to be!

Assuming that somehow the fires in the World Trade Center twin towers were put out and didn't collapse, would it have been possible to use the buildings again? Would they have just removed the floors above the point of impact, assuming that there wasn't too much structural damage below, and then continued using them? Or would that just have been completely impractical?

On 23/08/2021 at 12:07, hughesie27 said:

Absolutely not.

On 23/08/2021 at 16:40, Stu_HMFC said:

Get them nothing! I hate this patter its worse in work offices a kitty or clubbing together for someone 1 you don't really know 2 you don't like or 3 you just don't want too 

Haha 

Cheers, I'm beginning to think she's after an invite if there's any last minute cancellations.....

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Why has my pup started to scuttle along when shiting, makes the poop collection more difficult than it needs to be!

Worms

Konrad von Carstein
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Worms

During not after, hes not "wiping"  his erse on the ground

He kind og poops,  taks a step or two,  poops repat till fiished.

He's on multi parasite tablets from the vet in any case.