Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Just now, Auldbenches said:

You're spot on.  Thanks. 

Good question.  Name all the ines. 

I’m not sure I could even attempt that as I don’t have a clue how many there are. Ursine is a personal favourite though. 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I’m not sure I could even attempt that as I don’t have a clue how many there are. Ursine is a personal favourite though. 

If Ursine is genuine...then o don't have the set.

I can't think what makes an animal an ine.  Thought maybe hooves etc but dogs and cats haven't. 

One for fun. 

Fox? 

6 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

If Ursine is genuine...then o don't have the set.

I can't think what makes an animal an ine.  Thought maybe hooves etc but dogs and cats haven't. 

One for fun. 

Fox? 

Ursine is bears. 
And you mentioned in your first post that foxes are vulpine. 

Edited by Tazio
Edited to correct autocorrect.

18 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

You're spot on.  Thanks. 

Good question.  Name all the ines. 

It comes up

at pub quizzes a lot . Those toys if questions . I used to be an avid quiz goer 

6 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Why do people not just use google for answers?

To keep threads like this on the go and it maybe lead to learning something else and a good discussion.  

If cyclists are riding two abreast...is it legal for another cyclist to overtake thus making a three abreast group for the duration of the overtaking manoeuvre?

15 minutes ago, Boof said:

If cyclists are riding two abreast...is it legal for another cyclist to overtake thus making a three abreast group for the duration of the overtaking manoeuvre?

i would assume that would not be counted as three abrest as it is an overtake. think of it as cyclists in single file on a narrow road (not allowed to be two abrest i dont think) then another cyclist is travelling faster so safely overtakes.

it could also be similar to a car overtaking, for a small period of time technically the cars are two abrest

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i would assume that would not be counted as three abrest as it is an overtake. think of it as cyclists in single file on a narrow road (not allowed to be two abrest i dont think) then another cyclist is travelling faster so safely overtakes.

it could also be similar to a car overtaking, for a small period of time technically the cars are two abrest

I know it'll never happen that someone gets pulled up for it - I just like putting forward odd situations.

Perhaps the third cyclist would have to cross onto the opposite carriageway to classify as an overtake rather than a three-abreaster.

Although I did ask my motorcycle trainer if it was permitted to overtake another motorbike without crossing the centre line - it is but why would you :lol: 

48 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

https://ukcyclelaws.blogspot.com/p/the-laws-according-to-highway-code.html

2 hours ago, Tynieman said:

Why do people not just use google for answers?

I wonder how many married men use google ???

Im sometimes very impressed with the knowledge in the answers on here. 

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

I'm just pointing out the highway code's advise on side by side cycling. 

but not on narrow roads, i might ont have made that clear enough and the link you posted says that as well

48 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

but not on narrow roads, i might ont have made that clear enough and the link you posted says that as well

I know that. I didn’t post the link to argue or debate anything but just to put it out there. 

Just now, Tazio said:

I know that. I didn’t post the link to argue or debate anything but just to put it out there. 

sorry, im so used to people on here arguing for the sake of it

• 3 weeks later...

A hot cup of tea at any time of the day is a thing of joy. Especially first thing in the morning.

However there is a certain temperature that if said cup of tea falls below the tea instantly becomes undrinkable. I would go as far as to say it needs spat back into the cup!!

Made this mistake a couple of times recently. Picked up my brew forgetting it’s been sat for too long. Taken a big swig and spat it straight back into the mug.

How can something so delicious suddenly become horrible simply by going cold?

28 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

A hot cup of tea at any time of the day is a thing of joy. Especially first thing in the morning.

However there is a certain temperature that if said cup of tea falls below the tea instantly becomes undrinkable. I would go as far as to say it needs spat back into the cup!!

Made this mistake a couple of times recently. Picked up my brew forgetting it’s been sat for too long. Taken a big swig and spat it straight back into the mug.

How can something so delicious suddenly become horrible simply by going cold?

Try camomile. You can drink it hot or cold. It’s my drink of choice 

I was sitting thinking last night about Steele and when it was invented . It just popped into my head about it and I had to find out . I’m like that about things . It’s like a compulsion I have which I need an answer to immediately as I’ll just keep thinking about it ! ( very odd ) anyway apparently it was 4000 years ago . I assumed it was relatively new thing . 

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I was sitting thinking last night about Steele and when it was invented . It just popped into my head about it and I had to find out . I’m like that about things . It’s like a compulsion I have which I need an answer to immediately as I’ll just keep thinking about it ! ( very odd ) anyway apparently it was 4000 years ago . I assumed it was relatively new thing . 

i would assume the original steel was that old but some of the newer more common ones like stainless are a lot more modern

6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i would assume the original steel was that old but some of the newer more common ones like stainless are a lot more modern

I was amazed to find it was 4000 years old . More primative than modern steel though 

28 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I was amazed to find it was 4000 years old . More primative than modern steel though 

Hang on, they’re saying steel predates the Iron Age? 

28 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Hang on, they’re saying steel predates the Iron Age? 

5 hours ago, jonesy said:

Well, the first mistake you made was drinking tea. Horrible stuff made by steeping cardboard and rusty nails in water for hours, I believe.

Nah, a good cup of tea, well made with water at the correct temperature, is way, way more refreshing and satisfying than even the best coffee. Coffee at times can be disgusting horrible gunk, leaving a vile taste .

12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I think you're confusing coffee with semen, danny. :( 

Enjoy yer tea, I'm off to make some coffee :) 

2499D32D-1191-4026-B481-E7BE310F16E8.gif

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Thread pollution. 😄

"Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out."

4 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Thread pollution. 😄

"Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out."

Does it really f%%%^% matter whether I thought about it just last or every single day of my life ? Jesus . The amount of people on this who pull people up for the slightest thing is truly staggering . Gob smacking in fact 

B0415F12-A42E-4AC3-9B64-9F3B531B6C4E.jpeg

13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Does it really f%%%^% matter whether I thought about it just last or every single day of my life ? Jesus . The amount of people on this who pull people up for the slightest thing is truly staggering . Gob smacking in fact 

B0415F12-A42E-4AC3-9B64-9F3B531B6C4E.jpeg

Give it a rest, what a drama queen you are. 

You posted something diametrically opposite to the thread subject and I pointed it out, I even added a wee smiley face to show that it was light hearted and you did your usual squealing like a pig and adding camp memes and GIFs. So predictable, well apart from you not adding the word "really" in a sentence inappropriately.

You're probably best ignored going forward, I imagine you cause more than a few thread bans to be dished out.

25 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

You posted something diametrically opposite to the thread subject and I pointed it out, I even added a wee smiley face to show that it was light hearted and you did your usual squealing like a pig and adding camp memes and GIFs. So predictable, well apart from you not adding the word "really" in a sentence inappropriately.

You're probably best ignored going forward, I imagine you cause more than a few thread bans to be dished out.

There’s an old saying “ many a truth is said in jest “ ! Anyway im certainly not a drama Queen honest ! 😂😂

634CC9B5-DB4E-4A9A-914F-A05EE0AECCB9.gif

been here before
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

:lol:

Something we've all done at some point Im sure.  

2 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

That's nothing.  He went to an event to meet a couple of cast members from  prisoner of cell block h.

Joking james...

At what point in the history of homo sapiens did someone look at the egg-shaped thing that had just emerged from the arse of a bird, still covered in bird shit, and think to himself, "That's looks tasty, I think I'll eat it" ?

3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Well, I'll bow to your obviously superior knowledge on that one.

3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Enjoy yer tea, I'm off to make some coffee :) 

I certainly will, though I can enjoy either if well made.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

At what point in the history of homo sapiens did someone look at the egg-shaped thing that had just emerged from the arse of a bird, still covered in bird shit, and think to himself, "That's looks tasty, I think I'll eat it" ?

There's archaeological evidence that Neolithic folk ate eggs, so probably before then.  Some starving dude maybe saw an animal or bird eating another creatures eggs and thought they'd give it a go.

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

That's nothing.  He went to an event to meet a couple of cast members from  prisoner of cell block h.

Joking james...

😂😂😂

1EC962C7-395C-49BB-ABA9-7510084734BF.gif

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

According to folk who work in petrol stations and refineries I've spoken to, it has fewer additives. Not sure if it makes much difference, but every third or fourth tank of diesel I put in is the premium stuff from Shell, BP or Esso. Not that much more expensive, and, in theory, is better for the engine.

Yeah, that's what I do, maybe not as often as monthly though. 

I'll start doing it more regularly. 

I've been doing some research after having to fork out for 4 new Fuel injectors after only 50,000 miles. 

Apparently the main reason for an injector to fail is poor quality fuel (i've been using Sainsbury's mostly)

Also found this on a forum,

Where diesel is concerned, the supermarkets are all working on the basis of buy cheap and sell quickly using the fuel price to hook in customers to their stores; they don’t put additives into their fuel because they think that it will be sold so quickly that any biological contaminants will be long gone. True enough, but it is us poor end users who end up with diesel bug contaminated vehicles!

Branded garages on the other hand are using the fuel as an actual product and therefore need that product to be of good quality. Branded diesel therefore contains detergents to keep water in solution in the fuel, and biocides (or at least biostats) to prevent diesel bug from thriving in their tanks. It may also contain cetane boosters and agents to make the fuel atomise better in the engine, which is about the best way to boost diesel engine performance.

The bulk fuel is the same, the additives are different and do make a difference even at the high dilutions in use.

I would therefore say that if you’re going to use supermarket diesel, use Miller’s diesel additive all the time, and keep a bottle of diesel fuel tank cleaner (concentrated detergent and biocide) for those times when you get diesel bug in your car fuel tank. I’ve had this twice now, and both times it was supermarket diesel.

• 1 month later...