Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Most likely Venus. Could be Jupiter. I can't see it out the window just now so can't telly you for certain.

I concur with Venus. 

Think Jupiter is in the south west tonight. 

Edit: it is currently, anyway. 

Edited by gjcc

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3fingersreid
6 hours ago, redjambo said:

If you have a mobile phone, there are several apps that you can download that allow you to point your phone at a section of the sky and then tell you which stars and planets are there. Sky Map is one.

If you have a computer, Stellarium is worth installing.

Excellent , cheers for that I'll download it on the phone ??

( have a PC tho , I just send my posts in here by Royal Mail ?????)

How come if i stare in the mirror then move my eyes from side to side they look as if they are not moving, even though i know they are moving?

freaks me out.

On 12/05/2018 at 11:47, Justin Z said:

This is a good start but don't forget, LeftBack has asked why the government doesn't print a billion pounds and use it to pay for things like upgrades/refurbishments and transport. So it's not as simple as just saying printing the money will dilute all other money. I'd also quibble a bit and say money doesn't represent the value of the economy per se, plus as a general concept for our daily lives that's kind of a meaningless way to look at it anyway.

A much more accessible way to define money is as a receipt for labour performed which we can then exchange for goods, or for someone else's labour.

With that definition in mind: If the government prints a billion quid which it then spends into the economy by purchasing goods and employing workers to utilise these goods in public works projects, it's not going to be a scenario like the one you described with the gold bars where their value is diluted by half. There will be value added to the economy by the labour workers engage in and the products bought with the money--and then those workers will have money to spend personally, too. It might not be a 1:1 ratio, it might only add say £500 million of value to the economy . . . or, if it's used especially wisely it might actually turn out to be worth more than £1 billion to the economy. But regardless, it will definitely not just flatly devalue all other money with no other measurable impact at all.

Absolutely correct that it has to be done properly, in a controlled fashion, or you get hyperinflation and such. But the number one cause of inflation is not the creation of money, it's that the way 99% of money is created in modern economies is by loaning it, which means interest has to be paid to someone (private banks). But the interest owing hasn't been created! Only the principal balance exists as money. So the only way to make the money to pay for the interest is by loaning more money, at more interest--a vicious cycle. This fractional reserve system is literal fraud, but it's the system we're stuck under.

I believe "Modern money mechanics" is the book that explains fractional reserve. Or at least i watched Zeitgeist Addendum 2 in which the first 20mins explains it.

hughesie27
17 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Not being arsey or smart but how would or could you tell the difference between it being Venus or Jupiter to the naked eye ? 

Mostly the brightness of it. Partly the size too.

Jupiter looks a wee bit smaller.

Once you've determined that it's a planet it's likely only going to be 1 of 3. and Mars is red so that's easy.

I think you can see Saturn with naked eye but not sure. If so it would be tiny and dull.

Mercury only shows up at sunrise.

There's also not many really bright stars when you look North either so I assumed it was a planet.

Edited by hughesie27

3fingersreid
4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Mostly the brightness of it. Partly the size too.

Jupiter looks a wee bit smaller.

Once you've determined that it's a planet it's likely only going to be 1 of 3. and Mars is red so that's easy.

I think you can see Saturn with naked eye but not sure. If so it would be tiny and dull.

Mercury only shows up at sunrise.

There's also not many really bright stars when you look North either so I assumed it was a planet.

Cheers ??

9 hours ago, cheetah said:

How come if i stare in the mirror then move my eyes from side to side they look as if they are not moving, even though i know they are moving?

freaks me out.

Stoppit ! Yer freakin':eek: me out too

A Boy Named Crow

About 40 seconds into Columbia by Oasis, somebody says something in the background and laughs. I’ve never been able to make out what’s said. Anybody know what it is, and who says it? 

22 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

About 40 seconds into Columbia by Oasis, somebody says something in the background and laughs. I’ve never been able to make out what’s said. Anybody know what it is, and who says it? 

Laurel. 

47 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Laurel. 

:D I like ending the night on a laugh. Cheers.

On 17/05/2018 at 18:15, Stokesy said:

If someone wanders around their flat naked and people in the flat across the road can see them does this count as indecent exposure?

When’s your court date:ninja:

Maple Leaf

For years I wondered why the South Pole is so much more difficult to reach than the North Pole.  I sort of assumed that because we live in the northern hemisphere, the North Pole is much closer.  But that's not the answer.

55 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

For years I wondered why the South Pole is so much more difficult to reach than the North Pole.  I sort of assumed that because we live in the northern hemisphere, the North Pole is much closer.  But that's not the answer.

For a start it's a lot longer walk to the South Pole, almost twice as long I think as it's in the middle of a sodding great big continent. I think Antarctica is the windiest continent as well.

Edit, I've just done a wee bit of quick research and I didn't realise that the South Pole is 10'000ft above sea level so as well as the long walk you're dealing with that climb and altitude matters. Apparently due to being a pole it feels like 17'000ft somehow according to this article.  https://sabotagetimes.com/life/the-first-man-in-history-to-walk-to-both-poles

Edited by Tazio

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

For a start it's a lot longer walk to the South Pole, almost twice as long I think as it's in the middle of a sodding great big continent. I think Antarctica is the windiest continent as well.

Edit, I've just done a wee bit of quick research and I didn't realise that the South Pole is 10'000ft above sea level so as well as the long walk you're dealing with that climb and altitude matters. Apparently due to being a pole it feels like 17'000ft somehow according to this article.  https://sabotagetimes.com/life/the-first-man-in-history-to-walk-to-both-poles

That's the right answer.  The South Pole is at the top of a bloody great mountain, in the middle of a dangerous continent.

John Gentleman
On 5/18/2018 at 09:40, 3fingersreid said:

Not being arsey or smart but how would or could you tell the difference between it being Venus or Jupiter to the naked eye ? 

It's explained by the difference in the wavelengths of the reflected light. Jupiter, though much, much larger than Venus, is also a LOT further away. This stretches the light waves, making it appear dimmer. Venus is a lot closer to us, so the opposite holds. Also, the light  we see from Jupiter has travelled a 'two-way street' – it's emitted by the sun, travels all the way to Jupiter, bounces off its atmosphere, then travels all the way back to us. Venus, on the other hand, sits between us and the sun, so the light only travels a 'one-way street' (albeit with a bit of a kink).

Here's one that has popped into my mind once or twice over the years. Again, in the spirit of this thread, I've never actually been bothered enough to find out. 

For the sake or argument, let's assume a person has 0% fat on their body (impossible I know, but as I say, it's just for the sake of this question). Then they put on weight, whether we call that fat cells, or ounces, or pounds, whatever. So when they start to work out and lose the weight, in what order does the body lose that weight? Will the body lose the first cell/ounce/pound that was ever put on, or does the body have a 'last in first out' method of losing fat?

dunno if I've even explained what I'm gettin at to be honest, but supposing we had 10 ounces of fat and started to lose weight, would put body shed the first ounce that we gained, or the last ounce that we gained, first?

3fingersreid
11 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

It's explained by the difference in the wavelengths of the reflected light. Jupiter, though much, much larger than Venus, is also a LOT further away. This stretches the light waves, making it appear dimmer. Venus is a lot closer to us, so the opposite holds. Also, the light  we see from Jupiter has travelled a 'two-way street' – it's emitted by the sun, travels all the way to Jupiter, bounces off its atmosphere, then travels all the way back to us. Venus, on the other hand, sits between us and the sun, so the light only travels a 'one-way street' (albeit with a bit of a kink).

That sir is a fantastic explanation ????

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

Here's one that has popped into my mind once or twice over the years. Again, in the spirit of this thread, I've never actually been bothered enough to find out. 

For the sake or argument, let's assume a person has 0% fat on their body (impossible I know, but as I say, it's just for the sake of this question). Then they put on weight, whether we call that fat cells, or ounces, or pounds, whatever. So when they start to work out and lose the weight, in what order does the body lose that weight? Will the body lose the first cell/ounce/pound that was ever put on, or does the body have a 'last in first out' method of losing fat?

dunno if I've even explained what I'm gettin at to be honest, but supposing we had 10 ounces of fat and started to lose weight, would put body shed the first ounce that we gained, or the last ounce that we gained, first?

Depends on the type of fat and where in the body it was stored, and that varies person to person.

The first fat to go is the fat just under the surface of the skin, which is easily converted to water and glucose when they body calls on fat reserves.

This is why, when first staring a diet/exercise regime, you wee more often and lose lots of weight fast, as the excess water trapped in this fat is expelled.

After that's gone, the more solid fats such as those at the small of the back and the back of the neck are burned off.

One of the last fats to go is the stuff that surrounds your internal organs. That's solid stuff and takes a while to shift (and you never see any difference on the outside).

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Depends on the type of fat and where in the body it was stored, and that varies person to person.

The first fat to go is the fat just under the surface of the skin, which is easily converted to water and glucose when they body calls on fat reserves.

This is why, when first staring a diet/exercise regime, you wee more often and lose lots of weight fast, as the excess water trapped in this fat is expelled.

After that's gone, the more solid fats such as those at the small of the back and the back of the neck are burned off.

One of the last fats to go is the stuff that surrounds your internal organs. That's solid stuff and takes a while to shift (and you never see any difference on the outside).

Really really interesting, cheers Cade. You've reminded me of visceral fat right enough, which surrounds the organs (as you say), so I suppose I was at least aware there were different types of fat, without realising just how and when the body actually dealt with them. 

Ok, that's another answer dealt with on this thread. Often think this should be printed off somewhere and stored in a puclic library somewhere. It's like an Encyclopedia Britannica of useless/useful shite?

Maple Leaf
14 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

That sir is a fantastic explanation ????

Indeed it is.  An easier answer is that Venus is always much brighter, and is only seen at dawn or dusk and is close to the horizon.

Sometimes Jupiter can be mistaken for a star because it's so dim, but Venus is always a brilliant speck of light.  If you have very good eyesight, you'll notice that Venus has phases, just like the moon.  Jupiter never does.

3fingersreid
31 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Indeed it is.  An easier answer is that Venus is always much brighter, and is only seen at dawn or dusk and is close to the horizon.

Sometimes Jupiter can be mistaken for a star because it's so dim, but Venus is always a brilliant speck of light.  If you have very good eyesight, you'll notice that Venus has phases, just like the moon.  Jupiter never does.

The night I’d seen it it certainly was dusk but it was higher in the sky than on the horizon . Still with all the replies I’ll have a better idea of what I’m looking at now ??

8 hours ago, graygo said:

Definitely this.

3 hours ago, Helzibob said:

I’m with graygo, definitely sord.

You’re both wrong.

its sword!

On 18/05/2018 at 10:15, cheetah said:

freaks me out.

It's called Saccadic Masking. Effectively your brain forgets the small rapid movements, called saccades, otherwise everything would look like a handheld homemade video as you moved about! 

On 18/05/2018 at 20:14, whodanny said:

Stoppit ! Yer freakin':eek: me out too

Here's a great video that explains it. Well worth the 3 minutes :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

SWORD.

Is it "soared" or "sord".

I've heard both.

Sord.

18 hours ago, tian447 said:

Here's a great video that explains it. Well worth the 3 minutes :thumbsup:

cheers, not happy about losing 40 min of my day down to my eye balls moving though.

Freaky 

18 minutes ago, cheetah said:

cheers, not happy about losing 40 min of my day down to my eye balls moving though.

Freaky 

It was interesting, wasn't it?

If you're really unhappy about that lost 40 minutes, just start acting like a bird and move your whole head rather than your eyes to look in a different place. You may get weird looks from people but can take comfort from the fact that they will be losing time themselves just moving their eyes to look at you!

20 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It was interesting, wasn't it?

If you're really unhappy about that lost 40 minutes, just start acting like a bird and move your whole head rather than your eyes to look in a different place. You may get weird looks from people but can take comfort from the fact that they will be losing time themselves just moving their eyes to look at you!

been trying to just move my head since i read it, dizzy as **** and feel sick now. But gained some time back :lol:

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

been trying to just move my head since i read it, dizzy as **** and feel sick now. But gained some time back :lol:

:D Life is all about the costs and benefits. Use the time you gained back wisely!

hughesie27
On 17/05/2018 at 23:27, 3fingersreid said:

What’s the bright star/ planet that’s currently in the night sky to the north ? 

Can see what you were looking at over towards Fife direction now. It's definitely Venus.

3fingersreid
41 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Can see what you were looking at over towards Fife direction now. It's definitely Venus.

I’ve been educating my passengers tonight about it ????? my new found knowledge is great ?

luckyBatistuta

How 3fingersreid managed to get 2 points in this months ‘“Where is this” thread. 

3fingersreid
12 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

How 3fingersreid managed to get 2 points in this months ‘“Where is this” thread. 

Wondering that myself ?

luckyBatistuta
22 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Wondering that myself ?

I was, but now I cannae be bothered :D

Bridge of Djoum

It might have been covered already but...

How come if I jump up and down in a moving train I land in the same spot. If I'm on the roof of a train, I land in a different spot/fall off?

Bridge of Djoum
On 5/21/2018 at 20:20, Maple Leaf said:

SWORD.

Is it "soared" or "sord".

I've heard both.

''Sord''

Also ''Scon'' or'' Scone""?

hughesie27
53 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

It might have been covered already but...

How come if I jump up and down in a moving train I land in the same spot. If I'm on the roof of a train, I land in a different spot/fall off?

I'm going to assume you've never actually done this so how do you know you would land in a different spot on top of the train?

In actual fact you'll land slighter further back in both cases. Not by much though. On top of the train you probably would end up landing further back than inside because on top of the train your momentum would be slowed down by the wind resistance. That resistance also makes it harder to balance on landing which is why you might also fall off.

Bridge of Djoum
4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I'm going to assume you've never actually done this so how do you know you would land in a different spot on top of the train?

In actual fact you'll land slighter further back in both cases. Not by much though. On top of the train you probably would end up landing further back than inside because on top of the train your momentum would be slowed down by the wind resistance. That resistance also makes it harder to balance on landing which is why you might also fall off.

That's a good point. Add that to the list of things I don't know.

8 hours ago, New York Fleapit said:

''Sord''

Also ''Scon'' or'' Scone""?

Scon.

Scone if you come from Gullane.

Or, Gillan as they say down there.

King prawn
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Scon.

Absolutely correct. Don't get me started on brummies and their "tuff brushes.."

1 minute ago, King prawn said:

Absolutely correct. Don't get me started on brummies and their "tuff brushes.."

I assume that's a toothbrush?

Unnions or Unyins?

My wife tells me I say this wrong.

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Scon.

If you are a bonafide Gorgie laddie such as myself who has had the misfortune to live in Gullane it is known as Goolani. Winds up the hand wringing middle class made a few quid wallopers who have moved down from the town. 

Honestly I can’t wait to retire and move back. 

5 minutes ago, jb102 said:

If you are a bonafide Gorgie laddie such as myself who has had the misfortune to live in Gullane it is known as Goolani. Winds up the hand wringing middle class made a few quid wallopers who have moved down from the town. 

Honestly I can’t wait to retire and move back. 

That's good. :lol:

Never heard that version before.