Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Why do folk with beards wear ‘after shave’?

I have a beard and also shave so using after shave could be a valid description.

Not that I do...

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Boof said:

I have a beard and also shave so using after shave could be a valid description.

Not that I do...

Fair enough Boof ?

How is money moved between countries or even big business. For example, the UK pays money into the EU budget (for now); does this just come from one giant government central "bank account"?

What does Bill Gates, or Elon Musk or any other multi-billionaire do for money. Do they just have a bog-standard commercial bank account for day-to-day? How easily will they have access to millions/billions in cash? Or, is it all locked away in stocks, shares etc?

1 hour ago, Jambos_1874 said:

How is money moved between countries or even big business. For example, the UK pays money into the EU budget (for now); does this just come from one giant government central "bank account"?

What does Bill Gates, or Elon Musk or any other multi-billionaire do for money. Do they just have a bog-standard commercial bank account for day-to-day? How easily will they have access to millions/billions in cash? Or, is it all locked away in stocks, shares etc?

I remember and interview with Alan Sugar when he talked about wealth / Money. 

He he said something along the lines of it depends how you categorise it. He could write a cheque for £100 million pounds tomorrow and it wouldn’t bounce.

I think what he was getting at was that people who are classed as “worth 2.7 billion” don’t necessarily have access to the most money whereas he does. 

So so do you class the richest person in the world as the person who is worth the most, or who has access to the most money! 

Doesn't really answer your question but is quite an interesting topic! 

16 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Do Vlad's old clubs in Kaunas and Minsk still exist in one way or another (ie like Sevco if not the original)? 

FBK Kaunas went under in 2012 and a similarly-named club was subsequently formed by the fans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBK_Kaunas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBK_Kaunas_(2012)

On 21/09/2018 at 13:05, redjambo said:

Perhaps her style guys have decided that these give the impression that she has her shirt sleeves rolled up doing the business for Britain. And I only say that half in jest.

Many a true word spoken in jest ??

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

FBK Kaunas went under in 2012 and a similarly-named club was subsequently formed by the fans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBK_Kaunas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBK_Kaunas_(2012)

Old Kaunas' top scorer in their final season was Evaldas Razulis ? .

Partizan Minsk (from Wikipedia) - "In early 2012 the club was mostly abandoned by Romanov (who withdrew his financial support, having some legal troubles himself) and had to release all players. Partizan withdrew from the Premier League, leaving it with only 11 teams. The team spent 2012 season playing at the amateur level in Minsk Championship. In 2013, they renamed to Partizan-MTZ Minsk and joined the Second League, before renaming back to Partizan Minsk in 2014. Midway through 2014 season the club announced its withdrawal from the league and was folded."

Edited by peter_hmfc

On 2 May 2018 at 16:24, Rab87 said:

I've often wondered who the bursd is in your sig...

+1

Could we solve this once and for all ??

Edited by dumpson

Why are 2 rival teams from the same town/city/area (Hearts v Hibs for example), called a ‘derby’ when they play each other?

Derby or darby???

Edited by Pans Jambo

On 17/09/2018 at 10:53, Jeff said:

There's actually a lot more to it. These are known as Asian Handicaps. You can get whole numbers, .5's, .25's and 0.75's as well as 0's in certain situations.

In terms of over and under goals you can get over 1.5, over 1.25, over 1.75 and over 1. For 1.5 it's as simple as 2 goals wins as its over 1.5. In 1.25 and 1.75 your stake is split equally into 2. For 1.25 your bet is split into over 1 and over 1.5 and for 1.75 it's split into over 1.5 and over 2. How can you get over 1 and over 2 I hear you ask? Well if you have over 1 and only 1 is scored then your stake is refunded.

For handicaps it's the exact same. You can get -1, -1.5, -1.25 and -1.75.

For a 0 handicap this is technically the same as draw no bet

I didn’t know any of this. Thanks for the explanation ??

38 minutes ago, dumpson said:

Oh, em ......... me too ! :look:

Please enlighten us @peter_hmfc !

Theres also that gif of the woman in a bikini running on a beach. I, similarly, need to know who that is so I can find where the beach is located. I’m dead inquisitive. Cough cough. 

On 22/09/2018 at 12:54, jambo89 said:

I remember and interview with Alan Sugar when he talked about wealth / Money. 

He he said something along the lines of it depends how you categorise it. He could write a cheque for £100 million pounds tomorrow and it wouldn’t bounce.

I think what he was getting at was that people who are classed as “worth 2.7 billion” don’t necessarily have access to the most money whereas he does. 

So so do you class the richest person in the world as the person who is worth the most, or who has access to the most money! 

Doesn't really answer your question but is quite an interesting topic! 

I was reading about a guy who owns one of the crypto currency companies and it reckoned that if the company reaches it's full potential he will be in the top 10 richest in the world on paper, the problem is that if he tried to cash in his coins the value of the coins would plummet and be virtually worthless so it is totally inaccessible wealth.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Why do so many cars and vans have their lights on today with bright sunshine blazing down. I know some higher end models have low light sensors but surely they can't be responsible on a day like today!

Are car makers now doing what Volvo and Sabb did all those years ago and having side lights on at all times ?

3 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Why do so many cars and vans have their lights on today with bright sunshine blazing down. I know some higher end models have low light sensors but surely they can't be responsible on a day like today!

Are car makers now doing what Volvo and Sabb did all those years ago and having side lights on at all times ?

A few years ago that EU brought in that all new cars needed running lights so it is probably these you are seeing

All roads lead to Gorgie
9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

A few years ago that EU brought in that all new cars needed running lights so it is probably these you are seeing

Thanks for that. My own car is not in the first flush of youth so when I replace it I won't be trying to turn the lights off all the time ^_^

Still seems an over the top ruling and some of these lights are more like headlights than running lights !

7 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Why are 2 rival teams from the same town/city/area (Hearts v Hibs for example), called a ‘derby’ when they play each other?

Derby or darby???

One possible explanation, that it came from an old medieval town football game in Derbyshire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Shrovetide_Football

4 hours ago, gjcc said:

Theres also that gif of the woman in a bikini running on a beach. I, similarly, need to know who that is so I can find where the beach is located. I’m dead inquisitive. Cough cough. 

I didn't know which one you were talking about so I've googled images of woman bikini running beach. I'm certainly not impressed with Google - after three hours of searching I haven't found the one in which I think you might be interested.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
21 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Thanks for that. My own car is not in the first flush of youth so when I replace it I won't be trying to turn the lights off all the time ^_^

Still seems an over the top ruling and some of these lights are more like headlights than running lights !

Been like that in California since I've been going, 20 years ago. Apparently it makes you more visible and stats show there is a decrease in accidents.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 13:01, 3fingersreid said:

Impractical Jokers , does anyone find this programme funny ? 

Yeah I I’ve it

wentworth jambo
On 14/10/2018 at 10:30, superjack said:

If we lived at the centre of the earth, would gravity still affect us the same way?

Interesting one this - did you know if you dig a hole from one side of the earth to the pother (through the centre) it would take about 42 mins to "fall" through and at the centre you'd switch from "falling" to rising" - in theory you'd build up enough momentum by the time you get to the centre, that you'd have enough to get up and out the other side - although the whole trip would see you build to terminal velocity and then slow gradually  because as you drop through the first half, the deeper you get, the less gravity you have beneath you pulling you down. Also in theory, if you fell through and came out the other end, you could go back and forward through the whole like a pendulum !!

Two way zips. You know, the ones on outdoor type coats where when it's zipped up you can open the zip either from the top down or the bottom up.

Why?

9 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Interesting one this - did you know if you dig a hole from one side of the earth to the pother (through the centre) it would take about 42 mins to "fall" through and at the centre you'd switch from "falling" to rising" - in theory you'd build up enough momentum by the time you get to the centre, that you'd have enough to get up and out the other side - although the whole trip would see you build to terminal velocity and then slow gradually  because as you drop through the first half, the deeper you get, the less gravity you have beneath you pulling you down. Also in theory, if you fell through and came out the other end, you could go back and forward through the whole like a pendulum !!

As illustrated in the remake of Total Recall.

The answer is of course that there is no gravity at the centre of the earth.

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Two way zips. You know, the ones on outdoor type coats where when it's zipped up you can open the zip either from the top down or the bottom up.

Why?

It's designed for people working on ladders. If you're on a ladder and you suddenly feel hot and need to unzip your jacket half way, but have tools in each hand, then someone at the bottom of the ladder can do it for you from the bottom of the jacket's zip. Equivalently, if you're at the bottom of the ladder and feeling hot, but don't have your hands free, then someone standing on the ladder can half unzip your jacket from the top. I think it was the Building Regulations Act 2009 that brought it in.

52 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Why is the monarch styled "Elizabeth II" when Britain has never had an "Elizabeth I"?

Are you trying to whip the nationalists into another furore? ;)

Anyway, an alternative viewpoint to the "because England trumps Scotland" argument can be found in the following commentary:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/13719651.why-it-is-correct-to-refer-to-our-monarch-as-elizabeth-ii-even-north-of-the-border/

On 14/10/2018 at 10:33, jamboy1982 said:

Yeah I I’ve it

I find it increasingly difficult to understand the language used by young people these days... :(

Scnorthedinburgh
24 minutes ago, redjambo said:

As illustrated in the remake of Total Recall.

The answer is of course that there is no gravity at the centre of the earth.

There is gravity at the centre of the earth. It's pretty much everywhere just the size of the mass in the area affects how strong it's pull/action is on something.

33 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's designed for people working on ladders. If you're on a ladder and you suddenly feel hot and need to unzip your jacket half way, but have tools in each hand, then someone at the bottom of the ladder can do it for you from the bottom of the jacket's zip. Equivalently, if you're at the bottom of the ladder and feeling hot, but don't have your hands free, then someone standing on the ladder can half unzip your jacket from the top. I think it was the Building Regulations Act 2009 that brought it in.

They've existed a lot longer than 2009. 

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

They've existed a lot longer than 2009. 

Yes, sorry, they were the accepted (and recommended) practice in the ladder-using side of the building industry before 2009 but their use hadn't yet been brought into law.

20 minutes ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

There is gravity at the centre of the earth. It's pretty much everywhere just the size of the mass in the area affects how strong it's pull/action is on something.

That's splitting hairs. The rest of the scientific world says not, as far as it pertains as to whether there is any net gravitational attraction from the Earth itself and that is, I am fairly certain, what the person who posed the question was referring to.

1 hour ago, wentworth jambo said:

Otherwise known as a Gravity Train. The theory was first postulated by eminent scientist Robert Hooke in a letter to Isaac Newton.

Scnorthedinburgh
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

That's splitting hairs. The rest of the scientific world says not, as far as it pertains as to whether there is any net gravitational attraction from the Earth itself and that is, I am fairly certain, what the person who posed the question was referring to.

Agree you are free from the gravitational effect of the earth, in that location.

1 hour ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Agree you are free from the gravitational effect of the earth, in that location.

Also agree. But not free from the gravitational effects of, for instance, the sun.

2 minutes ago, Boof said:

Also agree. But not free from the gravitational effects of, for instance, the sun.

Or from the gravitational effects of the laptop I'm writing this reply on. Or the cafetière sitting beside it. Or in effect from everything else in the universe that has mass, as far as we are currently aware.

4 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

Otherwise known as a Gravity Train. The theory was first postulated by eminent scientist Robert Hooke in a letter to Isaac Newton.

i was about to go on a rant as i read that as gravy train rather than gravity train

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Or from the gravitational effects of the laptop I'm writing this reply on. Or the cafetière sitting beside it. Or in effect from everything else in the universe that has mass, as far as we are currently aware.

True - as far as we know - however, given the sun's gravity keeps the Earth located in a more or less fixed radius, I'd suggest it has a greater effect than a ****ing chocolate Hobnob.

16 minutes ago, Boof said:

True - as far as we know - however, given the sun's gravity keeps the Earth located in a more or less fixed radius, I'd suggest it has a greater effect than a ****ing chocolate Hobnob.

Never underestimate the power of a chocolate Hobknob!

6 hours ago, redjambo said:

What I was thinking was, if there was a hollowed out sphere at the centre of the earth, as the mass of the planet is outside the sphere, would gravity be equal all the way around internal sphere and he you to the wall? Or am I over thinking.

1 minute ago, superjack said:

What I was thinking was, if there was a hollowed out sphere at the centre of the earth, as the mass of the planet is outside the sphere, would gravity be equal all the way around internal sphere and he you to the wall? Or am I over thinking.

An interesting idea. I'm no expert (as any astute person would have noticed), but I think the shell theorem applies here, namely that within a cavity at the centre of a spherically symmetric mass, all points have zero gravity. You wouldn't therefore be able to walk around the wall without suckers on your feet. However, the Earth isn't spherically symmetrical so I'm not quite sure whether you might in fact experience a very small gravitational force in one direction.

8 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

For this to work, there would have to be zero friction on the falling/rising object.  Even a teeny bit of friction would be enough to prevent the rising object from reaching the surface.