Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

Why do musical bands  who are going to play a gig, say in a pub, not come to said venue with their guitars pre-tuned?  Why must about 40mins of random strums which itritate the shite out of folk talking take place before the first song kicks in?

Also, why can lead singers, who insit on chat inbetween songs, not learn to speak clearly so the public can understand what he/she’s trying to say? 9/10 times it’s just a mash of monotone pish. 

Guitars go out of tune through use, changes in temperature, and naturally over time. Even if guitars were pre-tuned before reaching stage, adjustment to the tuning would be required before playing, and after each song. Most guitar players just use a tuning pedal before/between songs. This cuts the signal, meaning the audience can listen to the singer's inane mumblings in peace. Pipers aren't so fortunate, as the old piper's sating goes "I spend half my time on stage tuning up, the other half I'm out of tune"

#2. I imagine the EQ and effects needed for a good sung vocal are not the same as those needed for a clear speech. Also, the speaking is probably often just done to save you hearing the band tune up - its a vicious cycle!

All roads lead to Gorgie

How some things stick in our memories. I can recall quite a number of moments going back to childhood, not just major things like meeting loved ones for the first time, break ups, births etc but fairly mundane things like stopping to eat lunch in a lay-by somewhere or just observing some random scene and for some reason it stays with you. So much happens over our lifetime and we forget almost all non essential things but why do some seemingly non important moments become etched in our memories!  

2 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

How some things stick in our memories. I can recall quite a number of moments going back to childhood, not just major things like meeting loved ones for the first time, break ups, births etc but fairly mundane things like stopping to eat lunch in a lay-by somewhere or just observing some random scene and for some reason it stays with you. So much happens over our lifetime and we forget almost all non essential things but why do some seemingly non important moments become etched in our memories!  

I knew the answer to that but I've forgot it.

• 2 weeks later...
A Boy Named Crow

Why is there still a Formula One 2015 thread? I’d have thought by now the fans would have been discussing the up coming 2018 season. Was 2015 such a classic that people are still arguing about it?

Could read the thread and find out, but in the spirit of this topic...I can’t be bothered  

Samuel Camazzola
25 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Why is there still a Formula One 2015 thread? I’d have thought by now the fans would have been discussing the up coming 2018 season. Was 2015 such a classic that people are still arguing about it?

Could read the thread and find out, but in the spirit of this topic...I can’t be bothered  

The same reason the golf thread is titled from 2009 to 2014. 

A Boy Named Crow

Which is what, laziness? I was hoping for something more!

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Samuel Camazzola
7 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Which is what, laziness? I was hoping for something more!

I think you've nailed it. Mods have not done the housekeeping in recent years. 

When did  people stop clearing the pavements when it snows? I remember when I was young being sent out with a shovel to clear the snow on the pavement I front of our flat. I went up yesterday to check on my Mum and was sent to clear the snow. Only one other person has cleared "their bit". Same in my street. Is it now the council's responsibly to clear pavements? 

michael_bolton
2 hours ago, Alex said:

When did  people stop clearing the pavements when it snows? I remember when I was young being sent out with a shovel to clear the snow on the pavement I front of our flat. I went up yesterday to check on my Mum and was sent to clear the snow. Only one other person has cleared "their bit". Same in my street. Is it now the council's responsibly to clear pavements? 

Broken Britain, IMO.

What do people with office jobs actually do all day?

I'm a teacher, so I turn up, plan lessons, teach lessons, write reports etc and check and send emails. I'd imagine doctors turn up, see patients, do paperwork etc. I'd imagine mechanics turn up, look at cars, fix them, speak to customers etc.

But someone who is an accountant, or an admin assistant, or who works  in insurance. What do they actually do? What does the day look like?

John Gentleman
2 hours ago, Alex said:

Perhaps around the same time as cars and fridges became ubiquitous? This eliminated the necessity of having to walk to the shops every day to 'do the messages'.

In prehistoric times (as in, the 50s and 60s) lots of 'messages' actually came to you. The butcher twice a week, the fishmonger once a week, the co-op grocery once a week etc. This worked well so long as it was Clydesdale horses who pulled the carts. But in the late 50s the delivery vehicles became motorised. So then we had a problem. When we were snowed in, the vans couldn't deliver to us. As very few families owned cars, let alone fridges, Shanks's pony was the only option if you wanted to live. And that's why the paths and pavements were swept, salted and gritted during bad winter episodes.

On 20/02/2018 at 14:11, scabber said:

Why is it that when you are not in a hurry and trying to waste a bit of time every set of traffic lights are green but when your late every set is red

Conformation bias... your the problem :/

5 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Perhaps around the same time as cars and fridges became ubiquitous? This eliminated the necessity of having to walk to the shops every day to 'do the messages'.

In prehistoric times (as in, the 50s and 60s) lots of 'messages' actually came to you. The butcher twice a week, the fishmonger once a week, the co-op grocery once a week etc. This worked well so long as it was Clydesdale horses who pulled the carts. But in the late 50s the delivery vehicles became motorised. So then we had a problem. When we were snowed in, the vans couldn't deliver to us. As very few families owned cars, let alone fridges, Shanks's pony was the only option if you wanted to live. And that's why the paths and pavements were swept, salted and gritted during bad winter episodes.

I see that argument but this would have been the 80's and (if my memory serves me right) everyone still did it then. 

John Gentleman
12 hours ago, Alex said:

I see that argument but this would have been the 80's and (if my memory serves me right) everyone still did it then. 

Maybe part of the answer is here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8443745.stm

I think, more likely, it's just changing societal 'norms'. I remember my mother used to scrub the front and back door concrete steps religiously (being the fierce presbyterian that she was was). How often do you see folk doing that now?

In other words, folk have just become lazy. Nothing's going to get in the way of them watching their supersized TVs.

I guess what you say about 'norms' sums it up. I was out and about today and pretty few people/shops have cleared 'their' bit. Just another sign of the times.

3fingersreid

What’s the the little bits of nylon or leather that is on the back of the heels on boots/shoes for ? 

On 03/03/2018 at 03:14, michael_bolton said:

Broken Britain, IMO.

What do people with office jobs actually do all day?

I'm a teacher, so I turn up, plan lessons, teach lessons, write reports etc and check and send emails. I'd imagine doctors turn up, see patients, do paperwork etc. I'd imagine mechanics turn up, look at cars, fix them, speak to customers etc.

But someone who is an accountant, or an admin assistant, or who works  in insurance. What do they actually do? What does the day look like?

Arrive - fire up the laptop and check my emails and respond to anything urgent and plan my day around anything that has come in.

Mid morning- grab some toast and a coffee then work til lunch on anything I have outstanding.

Lunch - at my desk reading BBC news or kickback

1pm - finish anything left from the morning and tackle non urgent things that arrived in the morning and anything that's come in during the day. 

4pm - plan what needs done tomorrow and how I'm going to get it done if it can wait or start another area of work if it's pressing and stay late to finish it.

5ish - all being good; go home.

This will generally be interspersed with meetings, conference calls and offsite meetings. Realistically what I do in the office is the output of those meetings and once the work is done it's done until the next review stage of it. There is downtime when waiting on other things being processed so I'm usually working through 3 or 4 projects at a time so when work is complete on one I can start on another. The office work is probably the least time consuming part as you just do the work and then wait really.

That's a really boring answer but the micro detail will be even more dull if it isn't something you are interested/work in. 

Edited by Taffin

Isn't it strange that people say "Don't you dare.", when this effectively means "Do not you dare."?

Why can’t I have my cake and eat it?

If it’s my cake then surely I have every right to eat it.

Have I asked this question earlier in the thread?

50 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Why can’t I have my cake and eat it?

If it’s my cake then surely I have every right to eat it.

Have I asked this question earlier in the thread?

I always thought it meant more you can't eat your cake and still have it afterwards.

USB ports.

Every single time I try to plug a memory stick or the mouse into the computer it appears to be upside down at first but then if I turn it over it still doesn't fit. Turning it round the way I had it the first time then works!

Why?

17 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

What’s the the little bits of nylon or leather that is on the back of the heels on boots/shoes for ? 

Pulling them on, that's why they are normally loops. 

3fingersreid
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Pulling them on, that's why they are normally loops. 

Would never have thought that’s what they were for , glad to learn something new ??

35 minutes ago, King prawn said:

USB ports.

Every single time I try to plug a memory stick or the mouse into the computer it appears to be upside down at first but then if I turn it over it still doesn't fit. Turning it round the way I had it the first time then works!

Why?

kYGTLjc.png

Joke obviously. But you'll normally find, as long as your USB ports are right-side up, that if you have the USB symbol on the plug facing upwards, it'll work.

Edited by Justin Z

Mac_fae_Gillie

Non gravity toilets "pooping and pissing in space" how do they work? do they store the stuff etc etc.

The Future's Maroon

Do/can clubs leave under soil heating on during matches?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
20 hours ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Non gravity toilets "pooping and pissing in space" how do they work? do they store the stuff etc etc.

Pretty sure piss gets recycled into drinking water. 

Not sure about excrement, maybe make snickers out of it. 

On 20/02/2018 at 14:11, scabber said:

Why is it that when you are not in a hurry and trying to waste a bit of time every set of traffic lights are green but when your late every set is red

I suffered that last Friday night, on the bus, bursting for a piss.  

Bindy Badgy
On 06/03/2018 at 11:51, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Astronauts in the Gemini and Apollo spacecraft literally had to shit into a plastic bag. They went on low residue diets before the start of the mission to minimise the number of times they went to the toilet.

https://gizmodo.com/astronauts-pooping-in-apollo-bags-is-so-bad-wed-rather-1745287570

Transcript from Apollo 10 mission (second mission to orbit the moon):

Stafford: “Oh — Who did it?”

Young and Cernan: “Who did what?”

Cernan: “Where did that come from?”

Stafford: “Get me a napkin quick. There’s a turd floating through the air.”

Young: “I didn’t do it. It ain’t one of mine.”

Cernan: “I don’t think it’s one of mine.”

Stafford: “Mine was a little more sticky than that. Throw that away.”

Young: “God Almighty”(laughter)

Cernan: “Here’s another goddam turd. What’s the matter with you guys? Here, give me a —”
(laughter from Young and Stafford)
Stafford: “It was just floating around?”
Cernan: “Yes.”
Stafford (laughing): “Mine was stickier than that.”
Young: “Mine was too. It hit that bag —”
Cernan: “I don’t know whose that is. I can neither claim it nor disclaim it (laughter).”
Young: “What the hell is going on here?”

Edited by Stokesy

Lying Barstewards!

Why oh why do folk lie when they try to sell you something?

Needing new double glazing. Seen a CR Smith wummin in B&Q & she said they are doing a sale thing whereby it works out that each window would cost around £600 - £700 fitted.

Braw, send roond yer rep to measure up & give me a quote.

Works out at £1200 a window. He was telt to GTF sharpish.

I'm going back up to B&Q to tell that thick lipped wifey to ram her widaes up her hoop!

Why lie though? Why? Wasted my time, and her reps time.

18 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Lying Barstewards!

Why oh why do folk lie when they try to sell you something?

Needing new double glazing. Seen a CR Smith wummin in B&Q & she said they are doing a sale thing whereby it works out that each window would cost around £600 - £700 fitted.

Braw, send roond yer rep to measure up & give me a quote.

Works out at £1200 a window. He was telt to GTF sharpish.

I'm going back up to B&Q to tell that thick lipped wifey to ram her widaes up her hoop!

Why lie though? Why? Wasted my time, and her reps time.

i think you are on the wrong thread

Just now, milky_26 said:

surely that should be on the seethe thread

Perhaps. Still like to know why they lie though. 

8 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Perhaps. Still like to know why they lie though. 

Because she is a salesperson. 

Or perhaps the fitter who measured up was lying.  

3 hours ago, Paolo said:

Because she is a salesperson. 

Or perhaps the fitter who measured up was lying.  

Gitz

On 06/03/2018 at 11:51, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

I was listening to the podcast Answer Me This today and they said that the solid waste and other rubbish (including astronauts old skiddies) all go into the supply vessels which are then allowed to burn up on re-entry

On 3/7/2018 at 09:06, Paolo said:

Is it true that UK made carousels go clockwise, but American ones anti-clockwise.   Someone once told me this.  

I've never seen a UK carousel in action, but unless I'm having a false memory, it does seem like some American carousels go anti-clockwise. However it seems like I've seen others go clockwise, so I'm not sure if that would have to do with place of manufacture or just the manufacturer itself.

I wanted to be sure I wasn't remembering wrongly, so I did a little googling, and apparently the idea that it's mixed in the States has some traction. This guy even looked at old patents and found a mixture of directions. And apparently anti-clockwise is common in Deutschland too--why? Because they drive on the right side of the road and go around roundabouts that way.

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

I've never seen a UK carousel in action, but unless I'm having a false memory, it does seem like some American carousels go anti-clockwise. However it seems like I've seen others go clockwise, so I'm not sure if that would have to do with place of manufacture or just the manufacturer itself.

I wanted to be sure I wasn't remembering wrongly, so I did a little googling, and apparently the idea that it's mixed in the States has some traction. This guy even looked at old patents and found a mixture of directions. And apparently anti-clockwise is common in Deutschland too--why? Because they drive on the right side of the road and go around roundabouts that way.

Thanks for that.  Interesting stuff. 

Apparently blowing your nose in public is a huge no-no in Japan as it seen as being incredibly rude.

But is it used as a comic device like farting is in western culture?

Just seen Hull v Norwich scoreline and if Abel Hernandez scores again it led me to the following....

What happens with the "match ball" if 2 players score a hatrick in a game? 

I guess either they each get a ball or is it who scored the hatrick first?

On the back of the Gomis thread, I've always wondered what the story with folk training at the club is.  Can  players of a certain standard just turn up in a "can I play with you" kind of a way? If it's for a week's fitness, why not go to a gym? If it's for the benefits of access to coaches etc. do we charge then or is there a benefit to our players of having new "opposition"?

3fingersreid

What are the plastic , usually yellow, things on the wheel nuts of buses and artic lorries for ? 

Edited by 3fingersreid