I've even heard ung-yins.  It's enough to bring tears to you eyes.  :peepwall:

No wonder you’re hiding your head. 

:whistling:

10 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

:getout:

You tell ‘im. :clap:

Honestly man, quite ridiculous.

peter_hmfc

Why is Sunday league so violent? Do the people playing it not want to be footballers so just spend the time actively trying to see who can get closest to assault as possible?

I always thought it was full of players who wanted to make it as a professional but just needed to make their way up the leagues, but they spend so much time diving in and fighting that the only thing missing is Jerry Springer.

Edited by peter_hmfc

Idly looking out the window of a train and noticed there seem to be two types of pylons (the Beauly to Denny line). There are more of the ‘wires hanging from arms’ type than the ‘wires going straight through’ type but it all seems fairly random.

What’s the difference?

091D1CF4-E39C-444B-A4DB-8EB28FBF0A5C.png

78B72EF4-BE3A-452E-9B9B-A5B4042CF111.png

On 24/05/2018 at 17:43, jb102 said:

If you are a bonafide Gorgie laddie such as myself who has had the misfortune to live in Gullane it is known as Goolani. Winds up the hand wringing middle class made a few quid wallopers who have moved down from the town. 

Honestly I can’t wait to retire and move back. 

A friend from Bathgate was once asked directions to “you-fil” ....

Turns out they were going to Uphall.

Edited by FWJ

On 5/24/2018 at 17:21, Morgan said:

I assume that's a toothbrush?

Unnions or Unyins?

My wife tells me I say this wrong.

Ingins

3 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Twa pehs.  A plain ane an’ ane ingin ane an’ aw.

Ingins is not exclusive to Dundee though. I come from north west Perthshire originally and it's pretty prevalent here too. Some infidels now call it Stirlingshire, the very thought.

Maple Leaf
10 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Good grief, I can understand that!!!

27 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Thankfully I’ve been drinking and can actually understand that!

1 hour ago, Highways and Byways said:

Ungyins.

I thank you :thumbsup:

That’s the closest to my way of saying it I’ve heard.

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, FWJ said:

A friend from Bathgate was once asked directions to “you-fil” ....

Turns out they were going to Uphall.

Need Gaelic assistance here.

Original name for Uphall was ubhal (?spelling) meaning orchard.

So I do wonder often if it should have pH pronounciation and not up hall

20 hours ago, FWJ said:

Idly looking out the window of a train and noticed there seem to be two types of pylons (the Beauly to Denny line). There are more of the ‘wires hanging from arms’ type than the ‘wires going straight through’ type but it all seems fairly random.

What’s the difference?

pylons are different due to the voltage that they carry being different. 

Edited by milky_26

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

pylons are different due to the voltage that they carry being different. 

But these are on the same line? There’ll be 3 of one sort and then one of the other or else two of the other - just random it seems?

26 minutes ago, FWJ said:

But these are on the same line? There’ll be 3 of one sort and then one of the other or else two of the other - just random it seems?

Perhaps it's some sort of code for aliens looking down from their UFOs? Like motorway markings, perhaps?

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Perhaps it's some sort of code for aliens looking down from their UFOs? Like motorway markings, perhaps?

Like the order of washing on a line used as a signal in WW2?

Could be.....

6 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Like the order of washing on a line used as a signal in WW2?

Could be.....

Ah, now, you've piqued my interest. :) Is this true? Was it a French resistance thing?

10 hours ago, redjambo said:

Ah, now, you've piqued my interest. :) Is this true? Was it a French resistance thing?

I don’t know TBH - but I’ve heard references to it, maybe it’s a bit of an old-wives-tale, but compared to some of the exploits of the SOE it seems perfectly possible!

Edited by FWJ

3fingersreid

Is it just me ( using I-phone or I-pad ) that has difficulty in getting the evening hibs to load when trying to read an article or is it just they have a piss poor web site ? 

3 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Is it just me ( using I-phone or I-pad ) that has difficulty in getting the evening hibs to load when trying to read an article or is it just they have a piss poor web site ? 

Not just you. I've struggled today. 

3fingersreid

Travelling down the A1 , kind of opposite the Queen Margaret uni , what is the big newish building ? It was lit up so brightly last night it was like a beacon for ET and his buddies to find planet earth . I've yet to have a passenger who knows what it is .

54 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Travelling down the A1 , kind of opposite the Queen Margaret uni , what is the big newish building ? It was lit up so brightly last night it was like a beacon for ET and his buddies to find planet earth . I've yet to have a passenger who knows what it is .

The Edinburgh And Midlothian RERC Project according to Google maps.

3fingersreid

Cheers.?? , any benefit of recycling will be wasted on the electricity used by the looks of it though 

47 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Why do some magnets resist others?

Conventional magnets have two poles (all magnets do, really, but bear with me), so anytime you see one magnet repelling another it's because two like poles have been placed next to each other, either north next to north or south next to south. Flip one and they'll attract instead of repelling.

But, many magnets we see these days though have undergone a manufacturing technique resulting in a Halbach array, which almost completely cancels the field strength for one of the poles. In reality they're a bunch of discrete magnets, with two poles, arranged together in a pattern that greatly reduces the magnetic force on one side. So they're sort of an artificially one pole magnet, and that's why you might have a situation where you've got two magnets that won't ever attract towards each other--they've both got strong fields of the same polarity, with weakened fields of the other polarity, so their repulsion overpowers their attraction.

2 minutes ago, gjcc said:

That the face someone makes when someone rings them unexpectedly?

So I've been told :whistling: 

See yer 4k UHD TV's, do you need to set it to 4k? Just got a new one but it doesn't look like 4k. Netflix looks good but normal telly not so much. 

The Internet
4 hours ago, Pennywise said:

See yer 4k UHD TV's, do you need to set it to 4k? Just got a new one but it doesn't look like 4k. Netflix looks good but normal telly not so much. 

The content needs to be 4k. Very little normal telly is shown in 4k. Netflix has some and BT Sport show some games in it but standard channels are still plain old HD whether you have a 4k tv or not. 

John Gentleman
4 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

The content needs to be 4k. Very little normal telly is shown in 4k. Netflix has some and BT Sport show some games in it but standard channels are still plain old HD whether you have a 4k tv or not. 

The CICO principle — Crap In, Crap Out.

• 3 weeks later...
3fingersreid

Walking the dog over the Pentlands today and I got stung a few times with nettles , what I want to know is what’s in Doc Leaves that when rubbed on the sting takes the nip away ? I’ve done this for years and years and never found out why 

4 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Walking the dog over the Pentlands today and I got stung a few times with nettles , what I want to know is what’s in Doc Leaves that when rubbed on the sting takes the nip away ? I’ve done this for years and years and never found out why 

I think it's just the moisture in the leaves that has a cooling effect on the hot sting.

5 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I think the best thing for a nettle sting is actually a nettle. However it’s inside the nettle and difficult to access.

3fingersreid
52 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I think it's just the moisture in the leaves that has a cooling effect on the hot sting.

31 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

I think the best thing for a nettle sting is actually a nettle. However it’s inside the nettle and difficult to access.

What’s bizarre is it’s stinging more now than it did hours ago ?

• 2 weeks later...
Samuel Camazzola

Not so much something I've always wondered as I've only noticed it within the last few days.

Why are there hundreds of cars parked to the side of the runway at Edinburgh Airport? It's the bit of land where all the private jets are usually stationed.