Bobby Walker's grave

maroon hills remembered

Son Of Anarchy

Thats all thats ever been used i think for the very reason in that the stone can be damaged.

Yip I continued that after you started it. Always used fairy liquid as it keeps my hands so soft and lasts much longer seemingly ;)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Son Of Anarchy

• Jamboelite

• maroon hills remembered

• Dagger Is Back

Dagger Is Back

Nice one dagger,saved us the trip :)

You're very welcome matey. I'm going to go down again and try to clean up the stonework a bit. The lack of a water source nearby is an issue but I have a plan

Son Of Anarchy

You're very welcome matey. I'm going to go down again and try to clean up the stonework a bit. The lack of a water source nearby is an issue but I have a plan

When you thinking of going up? I was thinking of heading up Monday late afternoon or Tuesday post 2pm. I found the old bucket with lid worked a treat ;)

Dagger Is Back

When you thinking of going up? I was thinking of heading up Monday late afternoon or Tuesday post 2pm. I found the old bucket with lid worked a treat ;)

Cheeky bugger! :-)

I can't make your times as I'm working. Was going to go up tomorrow morning, so will save you a journey. I'll buy a bucket on my way in!

I use a fungicidal wash on family graves and it helps wash the grime off and prevent future algae regrowth, their stones are granite so I suppose you would need to be sure before going on to marble but there must be some expert help around the places that sell the wash and the manufacturers themselves are normally good at answering questions if you call them. Just a thought as I know how quickly algae can grow back again.

Dagger Is Back

Went up this morning and gave the surrounding stone and headstone a gentle clean. Gave it another go with the weedkiller and put down some new stones. It's come up OK, but you'll see that there's a bit of movement on the 'side stones'. The left hand one was lying flat on Saturday so I had to dig it back in. I've no doubt that over time it will go again as will the right hand side.

Maybe just my OCD tendencies, but it could do with a proper clean by someone who knows what they're doing, to get rid of the persistent algae and freshen it up a bit.

post-395-0-03718300-1428919161_thumb.jpg

post-395-0-21972300-1428919174_thumb.jpg

post-395-0-42583200-1428919192_thumb.jpg

post-395-0-36698800-1428919199_thumb.jpg

maroon hills remembered

Went up this morning and gave the surrounding stone and headstone a gentle clean. Gave it another go with the weedkiller and put down some new stones. It's come up OK, but you'll see that there's a bit of movement on the 'side stones'. The left hand one was lying flat on Saturday so I had to dig it back in. I've no doubt that over time it will go again as will the right hand side.

Maybe just my OCD tendencies, but it could do with a proper clean by someone who knows what they're doing, to get rid of the persistent algae and freshen it up a bit.

Great job. Well done.

I noticed the side stones myself some time ago and I'm not sure if it's vandalism ie people standing on them or if it's the ground underneath collapsing. A lot of the damage in NMC is caused by subsidence (hence the stones being laid flat

on their back) and much of it has been caused by vandalism pure and simple.

Malcolm Cant's book on Gorgie stated that NMC along with five other cemeteries were "compulsory acquisitions" by CEC in June 1994 and were being renovated by the Environmental Services Dept. Well either they didn't get round to it or they never made a very good job of it.

Time to see what they have got to say for themselves.

Dagger Is Back

Great job. Well done.

I noticed the side stones myself some time ago and I'm not sure if it's vandalism ie people standing on them or if it's the ground underneath collapsing. A lot of the damage in NMC is caused by subsidence (hence the stones being laid flat

on their back) and much of it has been caused by vandalism pure and simple.

Malcolm Cant's book on Gorgie stated that NMC along with five other cemeteries were "compulsory acquisitions" by CEC in June 1994 and were being renovated by the Environmental Services Dept. Well either they didn't get round to it or they never made a very good job of it.

Time to see what they have got to say for themselves

Please let us know how you get on with CEC. I'm sure though we have enough folks on here to keep BWs resting place in decent nick if they're not in a position to do anything.

Son Of Anarchy

When we first started looking after Bobby's grave I'm sure we were told that it wasn't vandalism but the council themselves that put the stones flat? It looks bloody awful no matter the cause. Did we find out for certain if Speedys grave (at the end of Bobby's row) was indeed the Hearts player or someone else? Me and jamboelite found it and it mentioned his brothers and the war but I recall someone else saying he was buried elsewhere?

Edited by Son Of Anarchy

maroon hills remembered

When we first started looking after Bobby's grave I'm sure we were told that it wasn't vandalism but the council themselves that put the stones flat? It looks bloody awful no matter the cause. Did we find out for certain if Speedys grave (at the end of Bobby's row) was indeed the Hearts player or someone else? Me and jamboelite found it and it mentioned his brothers and the war but I recall someone else saying he was buried elsewhere?

I'm sure that someone posted earlier in the thread that the Speedie stone was, in part, a family memorial to the sons as their remains were never found. Could be wrong and I stand to be corrected.

• 5 years later...

Noticed that Bobby Walker's grave was looking a wee bit weedy today when I passed it on my lunchtime walk, so I pulled them out to tidy it up a wee bit.

IMG_2523.jpg

1 minute ago, myself said:

Noticed that Bobby Walker's grave was looking a wee bit weedy today when I passed it on my lunchtime walk, so I pulled them out to tidy it up a wee bit.

IMG_2523.jpg

Thank you 

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, myself said:

IMG_2523.jpg

Thank you.

highlandjambo3
6 minutes ago, myself said:

IMG_2523.jpg

👍.  In our dark times it’s nice to see the good come out of people......brought a wee tear to my eye.

Dagger Is Back

6 hours ago, myself said:

IMG_2523.jpg

Thank you. Can't believe its been 5 years since i was last there. You've done a cracking job

maroon hills remembered

It's a bit belated but I always meant to say thanks to everyone who took an interest in preserving the history. I note that they've also put a marker up on Tom Purdie's previously unmarked grave. I'm guessing that this was Hearts Heritage (?)

Again many thanks. It's a subject close to my heart.

Very interesting to read this thread. I was at my local David Lloyd club in Beckenham, Kent last year and this old chap saw me with my Hearts top in the gym. Spoke to me in the bar afterwards and it turns out he is Bobby Walker's Grandson. Had a good chat with him about his Grandfather and Hearts. He said the club invited him and his family up a few years ago and gave them a tour of the club. He was impressed by the reception they received. Before the lockdown used to chat to him whenever I saw him and he would commiserate with me about the results this season! Will take a photograph of the gravestone and hopefully show it to him when I see him again. Thanks for sharing this.

ford donald
On 13/04/2015 at 11:03, Dagger Is Back said:

post-395-0-03718300-1428919161_thumb.jpg

post-395-0-21972300-1428919174_thumb.jpg

post-395-0-42583200-1428919192_thumb.jpg

post-395-0-36698800-1428919199_thumb.jpg

Well done you,nice touch and remembrance.

29 minutes ago, David Bennett said:

Very interesting to read this thread. I was at my local David Lloyd club in Beckenham, Kent last year and this old chap saw me with my Hearts top in the gym. Spoke to me in the bar afterwards and it turns out he is Bobby Walker's Grandson. Had a good chat with him about his Grandfather and Hearts. He said the club invited him and his family up a few years ago and gave them a tour of the club. He was impressed by the reception they received. Before the lockdown used to chat to him whenever I saw him and he would commiserate with me about the results this season! Will take a photograph of the gravestone and hopefully show it to him when I see him again. Thanks for sharing this.

David, your David Lloyd club may provide you with contact details for the grandson if you tell him you want to email these photos to him.  It'd more than likely give him and his family something lovely to see/hear about.

John mcCartney
23 minutes ago, David Bennett said:

Well done David,keep the connection going.
Hopefully the old boy is still with us.

1 hour ago, oi oi said:

David, your David Lloyd club may provide you with contact details for the grandson if you tell him you want to email these photos to him.  It'd more than likely give him and his family something lovely to see/hear about.

18 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Well done David,keep the connection going.
Hopefully the old boy is still with us.

Thanks both. Not sure David Lloyd would release his details because of data confidentiality but worth a thought. I suppose I could pass on my contact details so that he could get in touch with me.  He has been in my thoughts recently along with a number of the other older members of the club. He has a wide circle of friends at the club who play tennis and he has told them about his links with Hearts through his grandfather. A number of them have taken an interest in Hearts recently and chat to me about the team. Pretty painful in recent months!!

Preston Jambo

Many years ago I used to live next to Mount Vernon Cemetery and only discovered recently that Paddy Crossan was buried there. Used to visit it regularly (mainly to collect the ball when playing football in the field in front of it).

Also discovered Davie Baird is buried just up the road at Liberton Kirk.

Does anyone know of a list of locations where former players are buried?

John mcCartney

the lettering paint on the stone could be updated I reckon,or is that something that shouldnt be tampered with ?

ford donald
2 hours ago, Preston Jambo said:

Many years ago I used to live next to Mount Vernon Cemetery and only discovered recently that Paddy Crossan was buried there. Used to visit it regularly (mainly to collect the ball when playing football in the field in front of it).

Also discovered Davie Baird is buried just up the road at Liberton Kirk.

Does anyone know of a list of locations where former players are buried?

Jimmy Wardaugh is buried in Mount Vernon Cemetery.

Francis Albert
26 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

the lettering paint on the stone could be updated I reckon,or is that something that shouldnt be tampered with ?

I don't see why it shouldn't. If not it will in time become indecipherable like most in very old graveyards.

maroon hills remembered
59 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Jimmy Wardaugh is buried in Mount Vernon Cemetery.

IMG_1590_edited-1.thumb.jpg.814e7f90bd95c659444b0280f5c86adb.jpg            As is Barney Battles and of course Paddy Crossan                 IMG_1594.thumb.jpg.19cc990feea3265790773d8dbe689a88.jpg

Dagger Is Back

Video directions to Bobby Walkers grave can be found here

There are also some Hearts videos that you might find of interest

Edited by Dagger Is Back

London_Hearts
On 27/04/2020 at 15:59, myself said:

IMG_2523.jpg

North Merchistion is the last stop on the Hearts Heritage Trail. Bobbie's grave and the others there are nornally given a wee tidy up on the day of the tour. Due to COVID-19 there hasn't been a tour for a few months.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Andy Black said:

North Merchistion is the last stop on the Hearts Heritage Trail. Bobbie's grave and the others there are nornally given a wee tidy up on the day of the tour. Due to COVID-19 there hasn't been a tour for a few months.

Sorry Andy, what other graves are there and do you have a location?

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

You should go on the tour If/when it returns. Very interesting. 

London_Hearts
33 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

IIRC the locations
Tom Purdie near 15 on the map
John McCartney near 16
James Speedie near 16

c.£1.50 (at date of writing) will get you an image of Bobby's death register entry from ScotlandsPeople if anyone is interested. That goes for anyone who died before c. 1970. Of course, you'll have to figure out which entry it is, an easier task for more uncommon names.

The closest match to Bobby appears to be:

WALKER, ROBERT STAIG; 51; 1930; 685/5 1083; George Square

If that's him, his Wikipedia page doesn't appear to include his middle name.

Interestingly, a Robert Staig Walker from Edinburgh, born in 1912 (a relative?), went to fight for the International Brigades in Spain from 1937-38 (https://marx.soutron.net/Portal/Default/en-GB/recordview/index/68327),

Edited by redjambo

Dagger Is Back
5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You should go on the tour If/when it returns. Very interesting. 

I should do Dave you’re right.

This post list is getting huge!!

Dagger Is Back
5 hours ago, Andy Black said:

IIRC the locations
Tom Purdie near 15 on the map
John McCartney near 16
James Speedie near 16

Thank you Andy. I know just the fella who would like a wee walk there from Balerno

John mcCartney

Wow,I didnt know my namesake is there too.I really need to find where he is and pay my respects.
That man went through a lot.

• 5 months later...

Wee bump for this thread as I’m here right now. 

The grave aint ain’t looking too bad to be honest (especially compared to most in here). Tried cleaning off the fallen leaves and pulled a couple of weeds out, but the leaves are falling as quickly as you can pick them up.

Couple of before and after pics. 

30AA9E1C-517B-4625-9A99-FE642B69E788.jpeg

8A25768E-4B34-452F-8E11-4FA555F72F7E.jpeg

A2E190F7-1050-4148-B13F-2FD12758C03F.jpeg

2F009BD6-F174-4679-95AB-3273529343AD.jpeg

On 04/05/2020 at 17:35, redjambo said:

c.£1.50 (at date of writing) will get you an image of Bobby's death register entry from ScotlandsPeople if anyone is interested. That goes for anyone who died before c. 1970. Of course, you'll have to figure out which entry it is, an easier task for more uncommon names.

The closest match to Bobby appears to be:

WALKER, ROBERT STAIG; 51; 1930; 685/5 1083; George Square

If that's him, his Wikipedia page doesn't appear to include his middle name.

Interestingly, a Robert Staig Walker from Edinburgh, born in 1912 (a relative?), went to fight for the International Brigades in Spain from 1937-38 (https://marx.soutron.net/Portal/Default/en-GB/recordview/index/68327),

https://playupliverpool.com/1930/08/28/robert-staig-bobby-walker-playupliverpool-com/

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

The grave aint ain’t looking too bad to be honest (especially compared to most in here). Tried cleaning off the fallen leaves and pulled a couple of weeds out, but the leaves are falling as quickly as you can pick them up.

Nice one Mr Sifter. It's looking pretty good to be hones

4 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Well done, Mr S! 

On 04/09/2013 at 19:23, Son Of Anarchy said:

Worth finding out but i doubt permission is required to tidy up and place flowers etc. If i can get some time off saturday/sunday think i will go up and have a look and see whats involved. Does anyone know if he has any family?

His son used to live in Musselburgh and was a ex Bank Manager for Royal Bank of Scotland.  Tommy Walker

5 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Top man

On 11/04/2015 at 15:36, maroon hills remembered said:

As you suggest Paddy's grave is in Mount Vernon and it's very well looked after, (if I knew how to do it I would post a photo I took last year). I don't think that the Catholic Church would be best pleased with HOMFC supporters invading what is still,l very much, a working cemetery.

On 11/04/2015 at 15:11, The White Cockade said:

not seen Paddy's grave but remember seeing Jimmy Wardhaugh's there a good few years ago

Tried the M.V. grave search but James Alexander Wardaugh 1929/1978 doesn't appear as a result. 

maroon hills remembered
On 27/10/2020 at 15:03, dannymack said:

Tried the M.V. grave search but James Alexander Wardaugh 1929/1978 doesn't appear as a result. 

IMG_1595.jpg