Bobby Walker's grave

maroon hills remembered

Wow! Absolutely fascinating. I have more than a passing interest in Bobby Walker and have undertaken quite a bit of research over the years and I had no knowledge of this. There are quite a few strands to the Bobby Walker story and this adds yet another dimension.

During recent contact I had with a much respected Scottish Football historian about Bobby, he made the following comment, "I have never seen the booklet on Bobby Walker, indeed for such a famous man there seems to be remarkably little printed material, and lots of questions. What did he do in the Great War for example".

I think there are many more aspects of the Walker Story, still to be uncovered and I would be more than happy to share what I know if there is a book to be written.

A book seems overdue imo.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Son Of Anarchy

• Jamboelite

• maroon hills remembered

• Dagger Is Back

CavySlaveJambo

We found James Speedies (and family) grave as we were walking back from Bobbys. Just at the end of the Walkers row. I thought i recognised the name. Sure Jamboelite took a picture of it.

He is also inscribed on the Loos Memorial.

Son Of Anarchy

He is also inscribed on the Loos Memorial.

If i remember correctly,the headstone mentions two of speedies relatives (brothers perhaps) dieing in the war but not sure about james. Could be wrong though. Hopefully Kev can post up the picture for us.

If i remember correctly,the headstone mentions two of speedies relatives (brothers perhaps) dieing in the war but not sure about james. Could be wrong though. Hopefully Kev can post up the picture for us.

John Gibson Speedie died 14th June 1917 at Arras he was part of the Royal Scots.

I'll post the pic when im next on the laptop.

Edited by Jamboelite

Great work guys i'm off on holiday today so will head up this afternoon, how do you access the cemetary. I also agree with other posters it would be tremendous if we could catalogue where all ex Hearts players (old and new) are buried home and abroad (big task i know) but would allow all fans to pay their respects and ensure their memories are kept alive.

Some great stuff about the Walkers.

Great work guys i'm off on holiday today so will head up this afternoon, how do you access the cemetary. I also agree with other posters it would be tremendous if we could catalogue where all ex Hearts players (old and new) are buried home and abroad (big task i know) but would allow all fans to pay their respects and ensure their memories are kept alive.

Some great stuff about the Walkers.

Head in from Ardmillan Terrace at the junction with the lights onto Slateford rd.

The map on this thread showing where the grave is is really good.

Head in from Ardmillan Terrace at the junction with the lights onto Slateford rd.

cheers feel a right prat pass these gates every home game didn't realise that was North Merchiston cemetery.

Son Of Anarchy

cheers feel a right prat pass these gates every home game didn't realise that was North Merchiston cemetery.

I didnt know either before the cleanup. Thought it was opposite The Diggers. When you enter cemetary picture taking shortcut to tynie. That will take you to Bobbys grave.

when i was a boy my grandfather lived in the house on the right when you come in. staying there at the weekends he took me to my first hearts game back in 1957/58. ps me and my brother did a bit of grave diggen as well. ah the good old days.

I didnt know either before the cleanup. Thought it was opposite The Diggers. When you enter cemetary picture taking shortcut to tynie. That will take you to Bobbys grave.

spent an hour up at the cemetery and was impressed with the work you guys did nice poignant moment spent at walker and speedie's graves. What really shook me was the total destruction/desecration of the headstones i can't believe it's been allowed to get this bad. i know that there are health and safety issues but to see the bulk of the headstones lying face down in the soil they must have relatives out there who would be distraught at their long lost deceased's memory being left in this state. I know the costs involved bringing this cemetery and others back to what they should be would be massive but surely our city council should be looking to do something.

Bobbie Walker's headstone must have stood on the marble plinth at some point and has been taken down or fallen down such a shame should be put back in it's rightful place.

I despair for this graveyard and think the only way to part save it would be to remove nearly all the stones to the outer edges, landscape the land and leave the contours as they are, place discrete markers so that each individual plot can be easily found. Put a detailed weatherproof map with names of deceased and plot details on display around the cemetery so relatives can still find the plot. Allow the place to be used as a park or the wood it is supposed to be according to the Woodland Trust. My relatives would be part of the landscaped ground but I would much prefer the previously mentioned to what awaits when I go there now. .

OR

Someone tell me its all going to be put back to how it used to be and really believe what their telling me.

Edited by alanbauld

Son Of Anarchy

One of the first things i said to Kev at the cemetary was how "wrong" and "disrespectful" the place looked with all the headstones down. As far as cemetaries go its actually a lovely place and surprising how big it is too. Nice big lotto win, buy our club and protect our history forever for future generations to respect and gain strength from. Lovely thought but for now we can only make a start. HHGH.

WorldChampions1902

When I visited in 2007, although Bobby Walker's grave was in relatively good condition, the rest of the cemetery was in a pretty poor state, with one notable exception. There were a few military gravestones that were clearly well looked after and the assumption is that the War Graves Commission were actively maintaining these(?), which was good to see. Presumably that continues?

When I visited in 2007, although Bobby Walker's grave was in relatively good condition, the rest of the cemetery was in a pretty poor state, with one notable exception. There were a few military gravestones that were clearly well looked after and the assumption is that the War Graves Commission were actively maintaining these(?), which was good to see. Presumably that continues?

There are a few in good condition including Speedie's so that sounds about right.

That's right - http://www.cwgc.org/about-us/what-we-do.aspx - truly they do a great job, I wish Edinburgh Council would do the same for the graveyards under their care

Just caught up with this thread after not having followed it for the last couple of weeks. A huge well done to all involved as you have done a fantastic job.

My pal and I stopped by yesterday after a visit to Riccarton, club shop etc. What a state that cemetery is in! Was great to see the great man's grave looking good though. We did replace the flowers that Gordy and jamboelite had put there. They are still in good nick. Only lifted them out so to see Bobby's name, and take a couple of picks. I did remove a wee weed, and the leaves that had blown on the stone before I left!

post-790-0-59003400-1379513190_thumb.jpg

post-790-0-11210500-1379513317_thumb.jpg

Edited by japanjambo

Son Of Anarchy

My pal and I stopped by yesterday after a visit to Riccarton, club shop etc. What a state that cemetery is in! Was great to see the great man's grave looking good though. We did replace the flowers that Gordy and jamboelite had put there. They are still in good nick. Only lifted them out so to see Bobby's name, and take a couple of picks. I did remove a wee weed, and the leaves that had blown on the stone before I left!

Nice one lass. If everyone who visits does this the grave will remain well kept and meen less overall work. Did you see Speedies aswell?

Nice one lass. If everyone who visits does this the grave will remain well kept and meen less overall work. Did you see Speedies aswell?

Unfortunately not. Aye, be good if everyone that visits, just keeps it tidy etc. :2thumbsup:

Nelly Terraces

Just read this thread now. Tear to a glass eye job. Superb work guys, you should all be proud of yourselves. Think I'll nip down tomorrow to pay my respects as I only live up the road.

When I saw the grave I was quite down with regards to it's appearance however some of the posts revive your faith in people.

When I wrote to the Council they replied . "According to our records this grave is marked with a headstone but has been placed on the ground. This could be due to health and safety reasons, age or vandalism", I think it's clear to see that It's been a Health and Safety issue. That being the case I wonder if would Davy be able to inquire as to what would be necessary to to have it put back to it's original state.

Many thanks to all.

The state of North Merchiston is nothing to do with the council. It was a gang who spent a couple happy evenings pushing over every stone they could. Place your blame where is deserves.

Jack Alexander

Jim and John Speedie are not buried in Edinburgh. Jim has no known grave and is commemorated on the Loos memorial in northern France. John (who had a trial for Hearts) was a second lieutenant with 15 RS and is buried not terribly far from where was killed - Bailleul Road Cemetery East, St Laurent-Blangy, a suburb of Arras. Next year's Contalmaison pilgrimage will be taking in his grave. There are numerous family gravestones in Edinburgh that suggest the presence of lads who fell during the war - particularly those with no known grave.

Thank you to the nice man from the council who did the research to locate the grave and produced the map. Also worth noting that the stone could be put back up properly, pinned to the base and a new foundation if needed, for a small fee. Worth asking up at Mortonhall how to go about doing it and see what happens.

Jim and John Speedie are not buried in Edinburgh. Jim has no known grave and is commemorated on the Loos memorial in northern France. John (who had a trial for Hearts) was a second lieutenant with 15 RS and is buried not terribly far from where was killed - Bailleul Road Cemetery East, St Laurent-Blangy, a suburb of Arras. Next year's Contalmaison pilgrimage will be taking in his grave. There are numerous family gravestones in Edinburgh that suggest the presence of lads who fell during the war - particularly those with no known grave.

That might explain the grave stone in the cemetery with a few family members on it.

Nice effort guys.

• 1 year later...
maroon hills remembered

Anyone been lately ? Hopefully I can go tomorrow, see how it is.

I was there about a month ago. It's starting to get overgrown though not as bad as it was. No doubt as the weather starts to warm up the weeds will start to emerge again. It could do with a plan to maintain it all the year round. Maybe some thing the Heritage Committee could look at?

Dagger Is Back

Anyone been lately ? Hopefully I can go tomorrow, see how it is.

Let us know TB. I've got some time off on Saturday and some Weed Killer so will head along if needs be

Dagger Is Back

It wasn't as bad as I'd feared to be honest. The general state of the cemetery though was more upsetting. Headstones broken and knocked over, I'd say at least 80%. Very sad.

This was before

post-395-0-39052700-1428759277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dagger Is Back

Son Of Anarchy

Im happy to go back and do the work again been meaning to do this since the last time me and GordyJambo went up.

I've not been back for about 2 months tbh as working weird shifts just now but haven't forget about him. I'm off Sunday/Monday if you want to meet up again mate.

Use ordinary washing up liquid to clean the stone. Nothing with bleach in it as that will destroy the marble.

If you look at the section just inside the gates to the left and along the Slateford Road wall you can see where memorials were turned face up and laid on top of the correct graves.  If people want the rest of the cemetery tidied up then you need to kick up a fuss with your local councillor/MSP/MP.  Then it is possible that the work could start up again otherwise other priorities get in the way.

The White Cockade

I remember reading that Paddy Crossan was buried at Mount Vernon but never ever visited the grave, i can only assume there is a head stone with his name on it as most Catholics request a burial as opposed to cremation for Mount Vernon.

http://www.addiewell...__0p22p27p.aspx

*Original post only had Paddy on it. :rolleyes2:

not seen Paddy's grave but remember seeing Jimmy Wardhaugh's there a good few years ago

maroon hills remembered

Use ordinary washing up liquid to clean the stone. Nothing with bleach in it as that will destroy the marble.

If you look at the section just inside the gates to the left and along the Slateford Road wall you can see where memorials were turned face up and laid on top of the correct graves.  If people want the rest of the cemetery tidied up then you need to kick up a fuss with your localcillor/MSP/MP.  Then it is possible that the work could start up again otherwise other priorities get in the way.

I had harboured the thought that if the Heritage Committee took this up with CEC then possibly, with the many rumoured HOMFC supporters in the council (eg Milligan, Cardownie et al), it might have been possible to get something done. Maybe I'm just dreaming!!!!

Dagger Is Back

I did think about the stones as they could do with a clean up. Didn't want to cause any damage given previous comments on this thread

maroon hills remembered

not seen Paddy's grave but remember seeing Jimmy Wardhaugh's there a good few years ago

As you suggest Paddy's grave is in Mount Vernon and it's very well looked after, (if I knew how to do it I would post a photo I took last year). I don't think that the Catholic Church would be best pleased with HOMFC supporters invading what is still,l very much, a working cemetery.

If you look at the section just inside the gates to the left and along the Slateford Road wall you can see where memorials were turned face up and laid on top of the correct graves. If people want the rest of the cemetery tidied up then you need to kick up a fuss with your local councillor/MSP/MP. Then it is possible that the work could start up again otherwise other priorities get in the way.

Thats all thats ever been used i think for the very reason in that the stone can be damaged.