• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Son Of Anarchy

• Jamboelite

• maroon hills remembered

• Dagger Is Back

Sheriff Fatman

Tom Purdie died in a nursing home in Davidson's Mains on 27th December 1929. He was 75 and it's fair to say that the cause of death was old age. He did not serve in the Great War. Note that since anyone can create an article for Wikipedia with (apparently) almost no background checks of any kind, it should not be your first port of call for reliable information. I'm sure there's a lot of good stuff on there, but the proportion of tendentious rubbish makes it a dangerous minefield - especially for students and schoolkids.

Wikipedia is no less accurate than the Encyclopaedia Britannica. Neither should be used as the sole source of information, but telling people not to use them at all is dangerous advice,

Edited by Sheriff Fatman

Hearts Heritage

Brilliant job done. I'll make it known at the meeting.

I'll also raise a more general point about the location and if necessary upkeep of ALL Hearts' players graves.

It's on our radar to produce a location guide to Hearts around Edinburgh and the rest of Scotland.

Craig Herbertson

Brilliant job done. I'll make it known at the meeting.

I'll also raise a more general point about the location and if necessary upkeep of ALL Hearts' players graves.

It's on our radar to produce a location guide to Hearts around Edinburgh and the rest of Scotland.

There might be an argument for a historical football tour of Edinburgh as a money spinner for the club - sporting toursits would love it - sure our fans would take it in too

Son Of Anarchy

Well done fellas. Absolutely brilliant job befitting a club legend.

p.s. Gordy, I've got some weeds round the side of the house..........................

You killed christmas mate,your weeds shall remain in place lol.

I think both myself and Jamboelite kinda agreed that no matter what the outcome of the heritage meet that we would pop up once or twice a month to spruce things up and keep it nice. Im certainly up for it but it would also be nice for others to now take the mantle. Bobbys record for club and country is truely magnificent. The very least he deserves is a tidy well kept grave yet alone a place in footballs hall of fame.

Ps if anyone has some seriously strong cleaner or heavy duty weedkiller i can play machine guns with please get jn touch.

Pps. Can someone please try find out if/where Tom Purdie and any other Hearts players are buried? Think if would be nice if we managed to do the same for as many as possible?

Yeah it would be good to know where others are as well, im not sure if Tom Purdie just has a headstone or anything but im happy to continue to pop up every now and again if the heritage need a hand.

Was quite unique this morning cleaning up the grave of the Walkers while me and a fellow jambo in Gordy shared stories of when we were kids, some of the games we remember and how we came to support the famous.

I'd like to think Bobby and Alex would have had a chuckle listening to some of the tales.

Dagger Is Back

You killed christmas mate,your weeds shall remain in place lol.

I think both myself and Jamboelite kinda agreed that no matter what the outcome of the heritage meet that we would pop up once or twice a month to spruce things up and keep it nice. Im certainly up for it but it would also be nice for others to now take the mantle. Bobbys record for club and country is truely magnificent. The very least he deserves is a tidy well kept grave yet alone a place in footballs hall of fame.

Ps if anyone has some seriously strong cleaner or heavy duty weedkiller i can play machine guns with please get jn touch.

Pps. Can someone please try find out if/where Tom Purdie and any other Hearts players are buried? Think if would be nice if we managed to do the same for as many as possible?

Sorry mate. Could have been worse. Could have told you Santas not for real. I'm happy to pop along go up to keep it tidy. Just let me know when you want me to go and I'll do it.

Edited by Dagger Is Back

<p>

41zmp-36NiL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg61NqQuP3XTL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg61WKiqaSyNL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg61gLMsLE4kL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg61JK72lnoHL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg

See all 4 customer images

Share your own customer images

HG Headstone Cleaning Spray

by HG4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (35 customer reviews)

Price: ?9.46

In stock.

Dispatched from and sold by Homecare Essentials Limited.

• HG Headstone Cleaning Spray. 500ML
  • HG Hagesan Headstone Cleaning Spray removes thoroughly and effortlessly dirt, bird droppings, and other heavy soiling from natural stone and marble headstones and statues.
  • HG Headstone Cleaning Spray is also suitable for use on plasterwork and masonry.
  • Attention: Avoid HG Headstone Cleaning Spray coming into contact with plants and fabrics.
  • Coverage: 500ml is sufficient for approx. 3m² surface area. 500ml

? See more product details

8 new from ?5.00

Edited by Tams bird

Son Of Anarchy

<p>

41zmp-36NiL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg61NqQuP3XTL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg61WKiqaSyNL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg61gLMsLE4kL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg61JK72lnoHL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg

by HG4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (35 customer reviews)

In stock.

• HG Hagesan Headstone Cleaning Spray removes thoroughly and effortlessly dirt, bird droppings, and other heavy soiling from natural stone and marble headstones and statues.
  • HG Headstone Cleaning Spray is also suitable for use on plasterwork and masonry.
  • Attention: Avoid HG Headstone Cleaning Spray coming into contact with plants and fabrics.

8 new from ?5.00

Another raffle perhaps? Winner gets hospitality and a designated headstone to clean.

Jack Alexander

<p>

by HG4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews(35 customer reviews)

In stock.

8 new from ?5.00

Please don't use this stuff on Robert's headstone (or anyone else's) until you've asked a stone expert about the potential for long-term damage. I know that there are Hearts supporters working at Historic Scotland who could get the correct professional advice. If these stones are to be preserved for future generations, the use of such cleaning materials might not be indicated. The Heart of Midlothian War Memorial (for example) would have been irreparably damaged. It received a light sponging with weak soapy water.

Please don't use this stuff on Robert's headstone (or anyone else's) until you've asked a stone expert about the potential for long-term damage. I know that there are Hearts supporters working at Historic Scotland who could get the correct professional advice. If these stones are to be preserved for future generations, the use of such cleaning materials might not be indicated. The Heart of Midlothian War Memorial (for example) would have been irreparably damaged. It received a light sponging with weak soapy water.

I tend to agree, it was soapy water this morning although i think its great people are wanting to help but if someone in the heritage gets advice on it then we can look to do a better cleaning job or the heritage can.

Its nice people are wanting to help and thats the main thing.

Edited by Jamboelite

Son Of Anarchy

As Fermit the krog said earlier......if a jobs worth doing...... etc and i tend to agree although the grime at bottom of headstone base will take some shifting. Anyone fancy finding out from an authoritive source?

Ps isnt a headstone cleaner which damages a headstone,erm,not really a headstone cleaner? Trade description act etc?

Edited by GORDY CRAZYJAMBO

Well done guys, great job.

As an aside (and of course with permission from the family's. / cemetery groundsman, i think tours to pay respect would be simply a grand idea, perhaps ask everyone on to have a bouquet and leave 1 per grave visited (dependent on visitors/graves visited) pay ultimate respects

As Fermit the krog said earlier......if a jobs worth doing...... etc and i tend to agree although the grime at bottom of headstone base will take some shifting. Anyone fancy finding out from an authoritive source?

Ps isnt a headstone cleaner which damages a headstone,erm,not really a headstone cleaner? Trade description act etc?

Old stones are very fragile things, particularly around the lettering. You would not believe the care and attention that a professional stone expert would take with cleaning a headstone.

Well done on cleaning up the grave. :thumb:

Old stones are very fragile things, particularly around the lettering. You would not believe the care and attention that a professional stone expert would take with cleaning a headstone.

Well done on cleaning up the grave. :thumb:

Yeah its not an area of expertise for any of us so i would bow to someone else to get a proper opinion before anything else was done.

As said the heritage guys are probably best placed.

Son Of Anarchy

The images at post no 13 show Alexander Walker's name on the headstone. Alex was Bobby's brother and he also played for Hearts. The headstone states he died in a military hospital in 1916. Anyone know what the cause of death was, whether he saw any military action and what Battalion he was in?

If anyone does visit BW's grave, take a look at the gravestones close by. For example, I do recall seeing James Speedie's name on a headstone just a few paces away and I am sure there was at least one other name with close ties to the club on another grave nearby.

We found James Speedies (and family) grave as we were walking back from Bobbys. Just at the end of the Walkers row. I thought i recognised the name. Sure Jamboelite took a picture of it.

We found James Speedies (and family) grave as we were walking back from Bobbys. Just at the end of the Walkers row. I thought i recognised the name. Sure Jamboelite took a picture of it.

Yeah i did i'll put it up this morning there are bound to be others. Speedies was in good condition and the headstone was upright.

image_zps43a3fb15.jpg

image_zps5a0c69ed.jpg

Good to meet you Gordy will keep in touch about the ST when I have one spare.

Hope people feel this is more befitting the great man and as noted it just needs a bit of TLC to keep it in shape also as Gordy says a bit of stone cleaner will bring this up better than the stuff we had.

You've just brought a lump to my throat. Fantastic job guys! :2thumbsup:

Gordy Crazy Jambo.

Gordy can you clear out your messages I need to send you a PM mate and I figured if you see this thread again on the front page you'll read it.

Kev

Son Of Anarchy

Gordy Crazy Jambo.

Gordy can you clear out your messages I need to send you a PM mate and I figured if you see this thread again on the front page you'll read it.

Kev

Done Kev. Sorry about that mate. Couldnt delete them on mobile version.

A bit of a tangent but...

In Daniel Gray's book 'Homage to Caledonia - Scotland and the Spanish Civil War' Bobbie Walker's son gets three mentions.

Firstly, (p 177) ' Machine-gun company commander Robert Walker, son of the great Hearts player Bobby, reassured Peter,.........Walker was proved right when the Battalion helped rout the nationalists in Quinto. The town was captured within two days of the launch of their offensive'

Secondly, (p180) ' In the retreat from Belchite, Robert Walker was one of four Brigadiers who unwittingly walked into the middle of a nationalist patrol. The four men were instructed at gunpoint to drop their weapons and place their hands in the air. Surprisingly, Franco's troops concerned themselves not with carting them off as valuable prisoners, but instead looted their pockets for money and their wrists for watches. As the captors placed their guns on the ground to indulge in this bout of larceny, Walker whispered to his colleagues "now's our chance" and landed an almighty blow to the face of his own personal thief' - the upshot was that they gavetheir captors a 'doing' and escaped into the Aragon countryside. For me that has shades of Tom Purdie and his horse whip in 1896!

Thirdly and finally (p201) on their return home 'Robert Walker, Bob Cooney and token Englishman Sam Wild led their Battalion down the platform at Victoria Station and out into the street to a raptutous greeting from a crowd of 20,000......Following the speeches, the Battalion, flanked by their audience, marched through London, laying a wreath on the Cenotaph for their fallen comrades and delivering a petition to Downing Street'. There was more adulation at Waverley station and Free Gardeners' Hall in Picardy Place!

It strikes me that we have consecutive generations of heroes here, albeit in very different ways.

Does anyone know of what happened to Robert junior?

Viva La Quinta Brigada - No Pasaran!!

Son Of Anarchy

In Daniel Gray's book 'Homage to Caledonia - Scotland and the Spanish Civil War' Bobbie Walker's son gets three mentions.

Firstly, (p 177) ' Machine-gun company commander Robert Walker, son of the great Hearts player Bobby, reassured Peter,.........Walker was proved right when the Battalion helped rout the nationalists in Quinto. The town was captured within two days of the launch of their offensive'

Secondly, (p180) ' In the retreat from Belchite, Robert Walker was one of four Brigadiers who unwittingly walked into the middle of a nationalist patrol. The four men were instructed at gunpoint to drop their weapons and place their hands in the air. Surprisingly, Franco's troops concerned themselves not with carting them off as valuable prisoners, but instead looted their pockets for money and their wrists for watches. As the captors placed their guns on the ground to indulge in this bout of larceny, Walker whispered to his colleagues "now's our chance" and landed an almighty blow to the face of his own personal thief' - the upshot was that they gavetheir captors a 'doing' and escaped into the Aragon countryside. For me that has shades of Tom Purdie and his horse whip in 1896!

Thirdly and finally (p201) on their return home 'Robert Walker, Bob Cooney and token Englishman Sam Wild led their Battalion down the platform at Victoria Station and out into the street to a raptutous greeting from a crowd of 20,000......Following the speeches, the Battalion, flanked by their audience, marched through London, laying a wreath on the Cenotaph for their fallen comrades and delivering a petition to Downing Street'. There was more adulation at Waverley station and Free Gardeners' Hall in Picardy Place!

It strikes me that we have consecutive generations of heroes here, albeit in very different ways.

Absolutely fascinating Acmt. Thanks for posting that. What an incredible family the Walkers were,with Bobby Alex and now Robert jnr. All these facts must be noted and documented in one place for future generations. Looking forward to hearing what comes out of the heritage meeting on monday. At this rate the Walkers will require a book or film not just a plaque.

Edited by GORDY CRAZYJAMBO

Hearts Heritage

Absolutely fascinating Acmt. Thanks for posting that. What an incredible family the Walkers were,with Bobby Alex and now Robert jnr. All these facts must be noted and documented in one place for future generations. Looking forward to hearing what comes out of the heritage meeting on monday. At this rate the Walkers will require a book or film not just a plaque.

Meeting now on Monday 30th. I'll update you after that.

Re Bobby Walker book. Something I've always wanted to do. I'll have a lot more time come Mid November .

Hearts Heritage

Message from David Speed (Club Historian)

Davy

If you are posting on JKB........this is a magnificent effort by the lads and if they wish to know, Bobbie's mother's maiden name was STAIG.

Meeting now on Monday 30th. I'll update you after that.

Re Bobby Walker book. Something I've always wanted to do. I'll have a lot more time come Mid November .

That would be brilliant, Davy :2thumbsup:

Message from David Speed (Club Historian)

Davy

If you are posting on JKB........this is a magnificent effort by the lads and if they wish to know, Bobbie's mother's maiden name was STAIG.

If you look at the pics her maiden name of Staig is on the grave i think.

Great read on the Walkers.

Keep us posted after the meeting mate.

Good to see the article was written about Bobby and looking after the graves going forward as when David contacted myself and Gordy thats exactly what we wanted it to be about and he has done a good job on that score.

Oh and can i add i didn't quite say we should have a grave society but i did say it was good the Heritage are going to pick it up as a topic of note i also wanted the original poster acknowledged for bringing it to all our attention.

The more publicity for Bobby being in the HOF the better as well.

Edited by Jamboelite

Hearts Heritage

Record goals vs Hibernians

1 Sat 13 Mar 1897 Hibernian 5 Hearts 1 Edinburgh League

1 Mon 19 Apr 1897 Hearts 4 Hibernian 3 Edinburgh League

1 Wed 01 Sep 1897 Hearts 5 Hibernian 3 Friendly

2 Sat 12 Feb 1898 Hearts 2 Hibernian 1 E of Scotland L

2 Sat 08 Oct 1898 Hearts 4 Hibernian 0 Division 1

3 Sat 29 Oct 1898 Hibernian 1 Hearts 5 Division 1

1 Sat 29 Apr 1899 Hearts 3 Hibernian 1 E of Scotland L

1 Sat 19 May 1900 Hearts 3 Hibernian 3 Rosebery Charity Cup

2 Wed 23 May 1900 Hearts 3 Hibernian 0 Rosebery Charity Cup

1 Sat 23 Mar 1901 Hibernian 1 Hearts 2 Scottish Cup

1 Sat 29 Mar 1902 Hibernian 1 Hearts 2 EoSS

1 Sat 10 May 1902 Hearts 3 Hibernian 2 Inter City L

1 Thu 15 May 1902 Hibernian 2 Hearts 3 Inter City L

1 Tue 25 Aug 1903 Hibernian 0 Hearts 1 Testimonial

1 Mon 21 Sep 1903 Hibernian 0 Hearts 1 E of Scotland L

2 Sat 10 Oct 1903 Hearts 2 Hibernian 0 Division 1

1 Sat 20 Feb 1904 Hibernian 2 Hearts 4 Division 1

1 Mon 30 May 1904 Hearts 3 Hibernian 0 Rosebery Charity Cup

1 Tue 15 Aug 1905 Hibernian 0 Hearts 1 E of Scotland L

3 Mon 18 Sep 1905 Hibernian 0 Hearts 3 Division 1

1 Tue 15 May 1906 Hibernian 1 Hearts 2 EoSS

1 Wed 15 May 1907 Hearts 1 Hibernian 0 E of Scotland Cup & Wilson Cup

1 Sat 07 Nov 1908 Hibernian 0 Hearts 1 Division 1

1 Sat 22 Oct 1910 Hearts 2 Hibernian 0 Division 1

1 Wed 16 Apr 1913 Hibernian 0 Hearts 3 Division 1

Son Of Anarchy

I just woke up after a 20 hr shift so never actually got to talk to the paper. Really good article though and like Kev says,it was all about getting Bobbys name out there and to get the recognition he deserves. Every ex Hearts player deserves a decent grave ffs. HHGH.

I just woke up after a 20 hr shift so never actually got to talk to the paper. Really good article though and like Kev says,it was all about getting Bobbys name out there and to get the recognition he deserves. Every ex Hearts player deserves a decent grave ffs. HHGH.

Thats a shame Gordy as you did more than your part.

WorldChampions1902

Wow! Absolutely fascinating. I have more than a passing interest in Bobby Walker and have undertaken quite a bit of research over the years and I had no knowledge of this. There are quite a few strands to the Bobby Walker story and this adds yet another dimension.

During recent contact I had with a much respected Scottish Football historian about Bobby, he made the following comment, "I have never seen the booklet on Bobby Walker, indeed for such a famous man there seems to be remarkably little printed material, and lots of questions. What did he do in the Great War for example".

I think there are many more aspects of the Walker Story, still to be uncovered and I would be more than happy to share what I know if there is a book to be written.