Bobby Walker's grave

maroon hills remembered

maroon hills remembered

I don't know if this topic has been aired recently but I was doing a bit of local research in the Gorgie area and went up to North Merchiston Cemetery to see Bobby Walker's grave.

I suppose it should be accepted that many cemeteries and graves with the passing of time and the lack of upkeep tend to fall into disrepair but I wondered that considering how big a figure Bobby Walker was/is in the history of Heart of Midlothian could something not be arranged to at least keep the grave free of weeds and litter. I took some photos but being an IT Neanderthal I can't work out how to post them. I appreciate that there are many connected with the club whose graves could benefit from this type of clean up but I just feel that as Bobby Walker was exceptional in the history of HOM that something could be done.

Any thought on this?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Son Of Anarchy

• Jamboelite

• maroon hills remembered

• Dagger Is Back

My gtGrandparents in there also and its not going to help if just one grave is tidied up, the whole place should be looked after and the older generation encouraged to use it as a green space in the summer. Cant help but feel it is being deliberately neglected with an eye on clearing it in the future then developed. Whatever, it should be looked after for everyones sake just now.

Son Of Anarchy

Horrible to think of anyones grave going unattended yet alone a club legend.

Purely out of respect for the great man and maybe to get the ball rolling in hope that others also get involved,id be willing to supply a couple of bunches of flowers each week to add a bit of colour. Not much i know but i have little time due to work.

Edited by GORDY CRAZYJAMBO

WorldChampions1902

I visited the grave probably 5 years ago and it looked in good order.

There is a short story in the Hearts book "That'll Be The Day" about a couple of Hearts fans who, having visited the grave in 1997, were shocked to see its dilapidated state. They thought that by cleaning it up and maintaining it in the run up to the 1998 SC Final, a curse would somehow be lifted and we would win the cup. The rest as they say is history.

By the sounds of things, sadly it is now needing some TLC.

My gtGrandparents in there also and its not going to help if just one grave is tidied up, the whole place should be looked after and the older generation encouraged to use it as a green space in the summer. Cant help but feel it is being deliberately neglected with an eye on clearing it in the future then developed. Whatever, it should be looked after for everyones sake just now.

You want the older generation to use a cemetery as green space in the summer?

Where do I enroll for your School of Tact?

Wouldnt mind spending a day visiting some former players graves. Pay a bit respect. The stories of some of these players still get talked and sung about today on the terraces.

This may require the permission of the decendants(if there are any)and/or the Council.If that is granted I would be happy to assist in whatever is eventually planned.

Son Of Anarchy

This may require the permission of the decendants(if there are any)and/or the Council.If that is granted I would be happy to assist in whatever is eventually planned.

Worth finding out but i doubt permission is required to tidy up and place flowers etc. If i can get some time off saturday/sunday think i will go up and have a look and see whats involved. Does anyone know if he has any family?

maroon hills remembered

I've just sent some pics to Brandt who will post them for you to see. I've also included a plan of NMC showing where his grave is situated.

Son Of Anarchy

I've just sent some pics to Brandt who will post them for you to see. I've also included a plan of NMC showing where his grave is situated.

Nice one.i will take flowers up at weekend.

I visited the grave probably 5 years ago and it looked in good order.

There is a short story in the Hearts book "That'll Be The Day" about a couple of Hearts fans who, having visited the grave in 1997, were shocked to see its dilapidated state. They thought that by cleaning it up and maintaining it in the run up to the 1998 SC Final, a curse would somehow be lifted and we would win the cup. The rest as they say is history.

By the sounds of things, sadly it is now needing some TLC.

I used to work with the 2 guys who done that.

I believe Tom Purdie's grave is also there and there is not even a headstone. Or if there is it has fallen over. As the first Hearts captain he is important so this seems a real shame.

WorldChampions1902

OMG! That is appalling.

I have looked through my archive of Hearts images and the contrast couldn't be more stark. This is how the great man's last resting place looked in 2007.

post-850-0-16913000-1378326656_thumb.jpg

post-850-0-79379000-1378326673_thumb.jpg

WorldChampions1902

Happy to go up and clean it this weekend to get things rolling and then others can keep it going.

Total respect to you!! And to others on this thread who have kindly offered their assistance.

I don't know if this topic has been aired recently but I was doing a bit of local research in the Gorgie area and went up to North Merchiston Cemetery to see Bobby Walker's grave.

I suppose it should be accepted that many cemeteries and graves with the passing of time and the lack of upkeep tend to fall into disrepair but I wondered that considering how big a figure Bobby Walker was/is in the history of Heart of Midlothian could something not be arranged to at least keep the grave free of weeds and litter. I took some photos but being an IT Neanderthal I can't work out how to post them. I appreciate that there are many connected with the club whose graves could benefit from this type of clean up but I just feel that as Bobby Walker was exceptional in the history of HOM that something could be done.

Any thought on this?

Great post....really is...HHGH.

WorldChampions1902

I believe Tom Purdie's grave is also there and there is not even a headstone. Or if there is it has fallen over. As the first Hearts captain he is important so this seems a real shame.

I didn't know that..........very interesting indeed. If your information is accurate, then that is another scenario that needs to be rectified.

Looks like another matter for consideration by the Heritage Committee?

maroon hills remembered

When I saw the grave I was quite down with regards to it's appearance however some of the posts revive your faith in people.

When I wrote to the Council they replied . "According to our records this grave is marked with a headstone but has been placed on the ground. This could be due to health and safety reasons, age or vandalism", I think it's clear to see that It's been a Health and Safety issue. That being the case I wonder if would Davy be able to inquire as to what would be necessary to to have it put back to it's original state.

Many thanks to all.

I didn't know that..........very interesting indeed. If your information is accurate, then that is another scenario that needs to be rectified.

Looks like another matter for consideration by the Heritage Committee?

The person that told me is pretty knowledgeable, I will check back with him to confirm but I am on holiday just now so it will be a couple of weeks.

maroon hills remembered

I'll ask David Speed about the Tom Purdie grave as well.

Re Tom Purdie, I've included a quote from Wiki below however as we are aware we shouldn't take this as gospel however there are no records of a death in that that name in Scotlands People for 1923 for the whole of Scotland.

I'd be interested to hear what David Speed knows.

From Wikipedia "It is said that he died in the year of 1923, but there has been no confirmation and no one knows the exact date either. Also no one knows the cause of the death which was most likely old age.

There is also another theory that he signed up for the army at the age of 63/64 for The Great War and he never returned home"

Prince Buaben

Worth finding out but i doubt permission is required to tidy up and place flowers etc. If i can get some time off saturday/sunday think i will go up and have a look and see whats involved. Does anyone know if he has any family?

He was my mates Fiancee great uncle. My mate was talking about him the other week.

Hearts Heritage

A big banner of the famous 'caps' painting.

If I could choose one game out of the 7,000 or so that Hearts have played to go back in time and see, it would be the 1901 Cup Final. Or simple 'The Walker Final'

In footballing terms the 'greatest' of the 8 wins.

WorldChampions1902

Re Tom Purdie, I've included a quote from Wiki below however as we are aware we shouldn't take this as gospel however there are no records of a death in that that name in Scotlands People for 1923 for the whole of Scotland.

From Wikipedia "It is said that he died in the year of 1923, but there has been no confirmation and no one knows the exact date either. Also no one knows the cause of the death which was most likely old age.

There is also another theory that he signed up for the army at the age of 63/64 for The Great War and he never returned home"

Wouldn't Tom Purdie (TP's great, great grandson or whatever) know all the details? Tom Purdie that was with Hearts in an Administrative capacity a few years ago and then joined Livingston FC.

When I saw the grave I was quite down with regards to it's appearance however some of the posts revive your faith in people.

When I wrote to the Council they replied . "According to our records this grave is marked with a headstone but has been placed on the ground. This could be due to health and safety reasons, age or vandalism", I think it's clear to see that It's been a Health and Safety issue. That being the case I wonder if would Davy be able to inquire as to what would be necessary to to have it put back to it's original state.

Many thanks to all.

Roughly 10 years ago Edinburgh Council - in an act of brazen and craven vandalism went round cemeteries in Edinburgh knocking over gravestones.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/gravestones-pushed-over-by-city-workers-1-867508

Son Of Anarchy

He was my mates Fiancee great uncle. My mate was talking about him the other week.

Perhaps you could let them know what is going on once we know ourselves? Also ascertain whether the family would be ok with it?

maroon hills remembered

Wtf????? Ive never heard the like before. Unfeckinbelieveable!

Not unbelievable really. EDC has been out of control for years. They continually fly in the face of public opinion. Take yourself up to North Merchiston Cemetery and have a look around. It's a disgrace. By letting these places fall into disrepair we only encourage their misuse eg junkies, winnos etc. and there is no way to stop it.

Not unbelievable really. EDC has been out of control for years. They continually fly in the face of public opinion. Take yourself up to North Merchiston Cemetery and have a look around. It's a disgrace. By letting these places fall into disrepair we only encourage their misuse eg junkies, winnos etc. and there is no way to stop it.

North Merchiston is in a truly dreadful state. The City of Edinburgh Council should be truly ashamed of the state they've left it in. There are quite a number of War Graves in the cemetery and it's high time that some time and effort was spent on getting it into a reasonable and respectable state. Maybe they could consider using some of the convicted criminals who are on Community Payback Orders as labour for getting something done there.

I'd be pulling those weeds oot on the spot, if I'd visited that grave and seen the state it was in. I wouldn't have been able to help myself!

Im going up tomorrow or sunday come rain or shine to clear away and restore it a bit.

Im taking a massive assumption the family will be ok with me clearing weeds and cleaning it a bit and hope thats ok.

Edited by Jamboelite

Im going up tomorrow or sunday come rain or shine to clear away and restore it a bit.

Im taking a massive assumption the family will be ok with me clearing weeds and cleaning it a bit and hope thats ok.

Good on ya! :2thumbsup:

IF the relatives are cleary no longer concerned or have moved away or whatever its up to the followers of Hearts to do it. I can see its not going to need too much to clean

it all up. My Great Grendparents and Grandfather are also burried in N Merchie but I cannot even find them! I saw these graves as a boy around 1960 and the place was smart then.

Am there now. Grave is in better condition than most - the stone is lying horizontally, as it was meant to (I think). All it needs is some Round-up to kill the weeds, and it would be truly beautiful. Graveyard still attractive, not entirely neglected, and you can see the roof of the wheatfield stand from it. Respect to Op for drawing my attention to this, and to Davie and others for addressing it

Jack Alexander

Tom Purdie died in a nursing home in Davidson's Mains on 27th December 1929. He was 75 and it's fair to say that the cause of death was old age. He did not serve in the Great War. Note that since anyone can create an article for Wikipedia with (apparently) almost no background checks of any kind, it should not be your first port of call for reliable information. I'm sure there's a lot of good stuff on there, but the proportion of tendentious rubbish makes it a dangerous minefield - especially for students and schoolkids.

maroon hills remembered

Tom Purdie died in a nursing home in Davidson's Mains on 27th December 1929. He was 75 and it's fair to say that the cause of death was old age. He did not serve in the Great War. Note that since anyone can create an article for Wikipedia with (apparently) almost no background checks of any kind, it should not be your first port of call for reliable information. I'm sure there's a lot of good stuff on there, but the proportion of tendentious rubbish makes it a dangerous minefield - especially for students and schoolkids.

Interesting to hear that Jack, thanks for that info however you'll note that I only copied the quote as a matter of interest as none of the posters on this thread had any idea of what became of him. It never was my "first port of call" but to ignore any information when no other was to hand would have been foolish. The thread was about the state of Bobby Walkers grave which became sidetracked by the whereabouts of Tom Purdie's.