Why Rangers and Sir David Murray

John Findlay

John Findlay

get no truck from me.

I have to confess I have been thoroughly fed up reading a watching/listening to all the whingeing/moaning/arguing and occasional debating with regards to the matches Rangers have to play.

Lets rewind to season 1985-86:

No one needs to be reminded what happened on the last day of that season but, with regards to Rangers they were nowhere. In fact in May of the previous season I had attended a Rangers v Hearts game at Ibrox, Rangers won 3-1 and the late Davy Cooper scored a cracker for them. The attendance as reported in the Evening Times was 12,000 the seats were that horrible Orange and Yellow colour and we had the upper Broomlaw Road stand.

I remember Hearts supporters fighting with Hearts casuals in the stand and about 50 13-14yrs old Rangers supporters trying to wind us up in their then terraced Enclosure.

That close season David Murray rode into Ibrox on his white stallion(any resemblance to William of Orange is purely co-incidental). He hired Graeme Souness as his manager and then started to splash money as if it was going out of fashion. He was a lucky guy he could afford too. With the exception of Celtic(not really they couldnt afford too but, had to appease their fans) no-one could keep up with his spending. Lets not forget keeping up had Celtic going to the wall until a wee Canadian gadgey turned up.

Rangers bought up all the talent home and abroad and to be honest started winning the league in a canter with the odd exception. However they were not finding life so easy in European competition and for reasons only known to them started complaining about the lack of competition in Scotland. Whilst saying this completely ignoring the fact that they now along with their other ugly sister(Celtic) had been stifling that competition since 1986-87.

Then they started looking south and saw the money that Sky TV were throwing at their baby the English Premier League. Now they wanted some of that but they didnt have the goolies to come out and say they wanted to move south for the TV money so, once again through about the old chestnut lack of competition in Scotland hampering their European ambitions. Lo and behold their strategically placed journalists and reporters in the Scottish media were spoon-fed this line and made sure it made headlines with those same stool pigeons writing articles to agree with the bold Sir David.

They still carried on through their stool pigeons unsettling young Scottish talent at other clubs by tapping them up through third and fourth party's whilst still claiming to be innocent and doing nothing wrong and still complaining about lack of competition. In a nutshell Murray had Scottish football where he wanted it. In his back pocket.

In the last 2-3yrs something has happened to annoy him unperturb him a little. Some of these diddy clubs are no longer bending to his every whim.

Ocassionally very at present they are telling him to get knotted. The bold Sir David does not like being told no. So he musters all his warriors together and goes on the offensive and is even more miffed when he still does not get his own way. Even QOS will not say yes to him, how dare they.

So when the bold Sir David through his sycophants in the Scottish media says his Rangers are doing it all for the good of Scottish football I LAUGH IN HIS FACE and say to him. WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID. Not me pal, not me.

John

Quite alot of my feelings are put across in your post JF.

I cant watch hearts V Gers, and passionatly hate them, despise there fans and some of there players. I hate the way the SFA bend over for them time again, how they constantly slag other spl teams for playing defensive football and not being able to compete with them, yet they want us to support them and help them win the uefa cup.

I just cant do it.... I just cant support a team that I despise

jambojim52

Had to laugh at DICK advokat when he said the GFA are not helping rangers and should postpone games. HE was incharge when we ( on one of the very few times) asked them to postpone! JF's post say most of it right enough, but there are many, many times when they get their own way and the GFA kiss his butt. Glad QoS refused to move the game, and every other SPL club should be taking note. Time to end the OF domination of the GFA.

Good stuff John.

And why should we support a team in Europe who hate being Scottish. ...whose fans sing English Rugby tunes, whose fans mock the tartan army, who play WW2 battle songs when playing at home, even against German teams....I could go on .

And, BTW, I can make the same arguments about the other lot, just sub Irish for English.

Some of these diddy clubs are no longer bending to his every whim.

John

Hibs still are.

Moe Szyslak
Had to laugh at DICK advokat when he said the GFA are not helping rangers and should postpone games. HE was incharge when we ( on one of the very few times) asked them to postpone! JF's post say most of it right enough, but there are many, many times when they get their own way and the GFA kiss his butt. Glad QoS refused to move the game, and every other SPL club should be taking note. Time to end the OF domination of the GFA.

Some tw@t from the Glasgow Evening Times was on the radio today saying Advocaat called the SPL a Mickey Mouse league for not bowing to Rangers demands.

Leaving aside the relative merits of the Scottish and Russian leagues, can you honestly imagine that the self-proclaimed "greatest league in the world" (copyright English Premier League) would have postponed any games this Sunday if Everton or Bolton had reached the final?

Or that the date of the FA Cup Final would have been moved if either Chelsea or Man United had been involved?

Moving these dates would have been an admission that the SPL and Scottish Cup are inferior to the real Mickey Mouse competition, i.e. the UEFA Cup. The SPL and SFA are right to stick to their guns and tell Rangers to STFU and get on with it.

CornhillHearts

Football moves on and evolves, you John are stuck in a timewarp, Rangers have been hard done by, the game in Scotland loses more credibility if thats possible.

Football moves on and evolves, you John are stuck in a timewarp, Rangers have been hard done by, the game in Scotland loses more credibility if thats possible.

By an organisation they would walk out on at the drop of a hat for big bucks in England. And Murray has the cajones to complain that no one is supporting Rangers !! Now THAT is laughable.

get no truck from me.

I have to confess I have been thoroughly fed up reading a watching/listening to all the whingeing/moaning/arguing and occasional debating with regards to the matches Rangers have to play..............

..................So when the bold Sir David through his sycophants in the Scottish media says his Rangers are doing it all for the good of Scottish football I LAUGH IN HIS FACE and say to him. WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID. Not me pal, not me.

John

Very ****ing well said John. Sums up the situation perfectly. I honestly believe that the other member clubs in Scotland could really make life difficult for the Ugly Sisters and heres hoping a little of that has already started. Again this highlights the missed opportunity afforded to Mad Vlad over the last couple of seasons.

speedbump
get no truck from me.

I have to confess I have been thoroughly fed up reading a watching/listening to all the whingeing/moaning/arguing and occasional debating with regards to the matches Rangers have to play.

No one needs to be reminded what happened on the last day of that season but, with regards to Rangers they were nowhere. In fact in May of the previous season I had attended a Rangers v Hearts game at Ibrox, Rangers won 3-1 and the late Davy Cooper scored a cracker for them. The attendance as reported in the Evening Times was 12,000 the seats were that horrible Orange and Yellow colour and we had the upper Broomlaw Road stand.

I remember Hearts supporters fighting with Hearts casuals in the stand and about 50 13-14yrs old Rangers supporters trying to wind us up in their then terraced Enclosure.

That close season David Murray rode into Ibrox on his white stallion(any resemblance to William of Orange is purely co-incidental). He hired Graeme Souness as his manager

On 23 November 1988 Murray secured the purchase of Rangers;)

Lt.Speirs

Funny how the little turnip headed hun loveing turd never called it a mickey mouse league when picking up his huge wages, and living in scotland

Midloth_Iain
On 23 November 1988 Murray secured the purchase of Rangers;)

The principle of course remains the same even if the timeline is "very slightly" out. ;)

Good luck Zenit S.P. :cool:

The Real Maroonblood

Is that the same Rangers that take young good talent from other clubs and then confine them to the reserves and eventually bin them.

GIRUT.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Good OP.

Queen of the South winning the cup would be much, much better for Scottish football than Rangers winning anything.

I hope the feckin' do them at Hampden.

colinmaroon

Good one, John!!!

And just an aside, did you see Walter Smith going ape**** over the 4 minutes extra time last night which, as it happens was largely to do with some blatant time wasting at throwins etc by Well!

Wonder what the reaction would have been if it had still been 0-0?

Going ape**** because it was only four minutes!!!

They just can't play the game without wanting the rules "bent" to suit them!!!

colinmaroon
Good OP.

Queen of the South winning the cup would be much, much better for Scottish football than Rangers winning anything.

I hope the feckin' do them at Hampden.

300% in agreement!!!

get no truck from me.

That close season David Murray rode into Ibrox on his white stallion(any resemblance to William of Orange is purely co-incidental). He hired Graeme Souness as his manager and then started to splash money as if it was going out of fashion. He was a lucky guy he could afford too. With the exception of Celtic(not really they couldnt afford too but, had to appease their fans) no-one could keep up with his spending. Lets not forget keeping up had Celtic going to the wall until a wee Canadian gadgey turned up.

Rangers bought up all the talent home and abroad and to be honest started winning the league in a canter with the odd exception. However they were not finding life so easy in European competition and for reasons only known to them started complaining about the lack of competition in Scotland. Whilst saying this completely ignoring the fact that they now along with their other ugly sister(Celtic) had been stifling that competition since 1986-87.

Then they started looking south and saw the money that Sky TV were throwing at their baby the English Premier League. Now they wanted some of that but they didnt have the goolies to come out and say they wanted to move south for the TV money so, once again through about the old chestnut lack of competition in Scotland hampering their European ambitions. Lo and behold their strategically placed journalists and reporters in the Scottish media were spoon-fed this line and made sure it made headlines with those same stool pigeons writing articles to agree with the bold Sir David.

They still carried on through their stool pigeons unsettling young Scottish talent at other clubs by tapping them up through third and fourth party's whilst still claiming to be innocent and doing nothing wrong and still complaining about lack of competition. In a nutshell Murray had Scottish football where he wanted it. In his back pocket.

In the last 2-3yrs something has happened to annoy him unperturb him a little. Some of these diddy clubs are no longer bending to his every whim.

Ocassionally very at present they are telling him to get knotted. The bold Sir David does not like being told no. So he musters all his warriors together and goes on the offensive and is even more miffed when he still does not get his own way. Even QOS will not say yes to him, how dare they.

So when the bold Sir David through his sycophants in the Scottish media says his Rangers are doing it all for the good of Scottish football I LAUGH IN HIS FACE and say to him. WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID. Not me pal, not me.

John

Great post. Rangers are the establishment club in Scottish football, and have been influencing things in our game for far too long.

The problem is that when Murray did his trick, it was almost inevitable that someone would realise that they could do the same with Celtic. We've had 15 years of this total domination, and only in 05-06 did anyone come remotely close to breaking it.

The thing is, I believe there is space for 1 or maybe 2 clubs to compete with the OF. Obviously due to their size, location, history and fanbase they will always win many trophies in Scotland, but if someone were to go in and make a long term investment in clubs like ourselves, Aberdeen or Hibs, and managed it properly then we could have a scenario where Rantic win 7 titles and maybe 18 major trophies in 10 years, but the rest goes elsewhere. With shrewd investment and dedication to the cause, two other clubs could be established that play in front of up to 30 000 a week. The problem is no one has the foresight, balls or common sense (Vlad) to do it properly.

Doctor FinnBarr
I thought it was David Holmes who was in charge when they hired Souness?

Wasn,t Lawrence somebody or other in charge of him?

:confused:

freddiemac

Good post John ,and that is exactly why no true scottish football should pander to any of the old firm , Vlad is one of the few people who has stood up to them ,the resulting media witchhunt is there for any sensible Hearts fan to see.

Rangers especially think they are above everybody in scotland , Murray once said that Rangers could field 1 team for scotland and another for europe.

The media hysteria in the past few days/weeks has been way over the top and has only cemented everybodys views that the majority of them are murray/hun sympathisers treating other teams with contempt if they show any threat to rangers. good luck zenit/qos

Therapist

That close season David Murray rode into Ibrox on his white stallion(any resemblance to William of Orange is purely co-incidental). He hired Graeme Souness as his manager and then started to splash money as if it was going out of fashion.

John

It was Lawrence Marlborough who bought Rangers FC and he placed David Holmes in charge. As other posters have pointed out, Murray didn't get involved until a couple of years later.

Your "facts" are wrong. You have made unnecessary and embarrassing references to a white stallion and William of Orange. All your post has done is demonstrate you are one seriously bitter individual (not sure why) who cannot think straight. :sad:

Therapist.

It was Lawrence Marlborough who bought Rangers FC and he placed David Holmes in charge. As other posters have pointed out, Murray didn't get involved until a couple of years later.

Your "facts" are wrong. You have made unnecessary and embarrassing references to a white stallion and William of Orange. All your post has done is demonstrate you are one seriously bitter individual (not sure why) who cannot think straight. :sad:

Therapist.

Despite a minor factual inaccuracy with a date and your interpretation of a man's opinion whom I do not know, it's ridiculous to discount the remainder of a thoroughly accurate and very real representation of the views of a significant proportion of SCOTTISH(not just Hearts) football supporters!

Well said John Findlay!!

Therapist
it's ridiculous to discount the remainder of a thoroughly accurate and very real representation of the views of a significant proportion of SCOTTISH(not just Hearts) football supporters!

No it's not. His cavalier attitude to the facts shows he is a bitter individual whose only concern is to try to establish his credentials amongst the anti-Rangers FC brigade by trying to demonstrate he really, really hates them.

I trust this clarifies matters.

Therapist.

Ben Dover

Well technically inaccurate or not, I've always regarded Rangers recent success as being pretty much down to him and his investment ( writing off large sums of debt etc )

I also feel that the OP does capture my feelings towards a Rangers club that has clearly lost sight of where it received it's 'leg up' to enter the European arena in the first place.............The Scottish top tier league, or SPL as it is currently known.

get no truck from me.

John

I have to say, you only seem to post against Rangers and never Celtic.

You've also proclaimed on numerous occasions how you're catholic and are quick to comment on any action from Hearts that may be deemed sectarian. Yet again, you've never commented on Celtic's shame.

I have no time for either of the OF, but I find you to be a bigot against only one half of the OF.

Think you'll find you're a ***** mate, time to grow I think.

Or support the ******, seems you do that already.

IMA MAROON
Despite a minor factual inaccuracy with a date and your interpretation of a man's opinion whom I do not know, it's ridiculous to discount the remainder of a thoroughly accurate and very real representation of the views of a significant proportion of SCOTTISH(not just Hearts) football supporters!

Well said John Findlay!!

If he is just going to make things up then his whole post becomes irrelevant.

CornhillHearts

The last two contributors have reassured me and Therapist that not all so called Hearts fans have their blinkers on when it comes to posts by certain posters on here whom are always turning fiction/their imagination into some fanciful tale.

Colonel Kurtz

Did you mean that Therapist

"Cavalier attitude" in relation to a horse reference.

Thats good, theres hope for you

Colonel Kurtz
The last two contributors have reassured me and Therapist that not all so called Hearts fans have their blinkers on when it comes to posts by certain posters on here whom are always turning fiction/their imagination into some fanciful tale.

"Blinkers on" in relation to a horse reference... is there a creative writing class after advanced Hunnery

Ben Dover

So are you saying the OP is not worth Jack Sh^t and that, because you believe JF to have an agenda..........which may or may not be true, then all bets are off :confused:

David Murray and Co have been actively trying to stab Scottish Football in the back for years. Why does he now think that anybody in Scotland actually owes Rangers any favours?

CornhillHearts

Its a photo finish but no horses are slower than The Lodger thats for sure.

Last Furlong for ever.

lost in leith
I have to say, you only seem to post against Rangers and never Celtic.

You've also proclaimed on numerous occasions how you're catholic and are quick to comment on any action from Hearts that may be deemed sectarian. Yet again, you've never commented on Celtic's shame.

I have no time for either of the OF, but I find you to be a bigot against only one half of the OF.

Think you'll find you're a ***** mate, time to grow I think.

Or support the *****, seems you do that already.

Accusing someone of being a***, then referring to "*****" in the next sentence. I take it the irony passed you by. ;)

Spellczech

Hard done by? In what way?

OK so they volunteered to postpone 2 OF matches for an important international and the death of a player who played for Celtic a good few years ago...

However, they could not have known that their particular brand of dull as ditch water football would be so successful as to give them the chance of an historic quadruple. Now they are calling in favours that they unilaterally offered up in the first place...Could it not have been a certain feeling of guilt about poaching the NT manager that resulted in their goodwill to the NT, not to mention that the NT manager?s previous job had been to manage, oh yes, Rangers FC.

The other postponed OF match was at Celtic?s request with Rangers backed into a corner by the professional mourners at CFC... Or was it? Were Rangers not perhaps just a wee bit concerned about the likely conduct of their fans if that match had gone ahead?

Now let?s look at how ineffective their bland defensive football has been against some lesser teams? 2 draws in the SC with Hibs and Partick plus ET needed to overcome the might of St Johnstone. Sorry guys but the fixture pile up due to the replays is down to their own style of play. A team that seeks to stifle better clubs will inevitably not have the guns to make easy work of teams that ought to be cannon fodder for them...

How about another argument, that the Russian FA are helping Zenit...Well their season has only just begun. They can afford to postpone matches at the moment, just as Rangers thought they could afford to early in our season. Zenit may suffer later too. Who cares? That?s their risk just as Rangers took a risk too.

The Uefa Cup final date is fixed. It cannot be changed. The SC Cup Final date is fixed - it is the end of the Scottish season. SPL matches cannot be staged after the Cup Final - that would be just wrong. Clubs have players who need holidays or may be out of contract and need to find new employers. Why should these players be inconvenienced just so Rangers can satisfy their horrid fans with a quadruple. Rangers already get help domestically from the men in black from the SFA, they should not be able to get help from the SPL - the other clubs whom they are meant to be COMPETING WITH!

Why oh why oh why are Rangers called "Rangers FC" on here?!

Why the need for FC?

Its like a term of indearment...

Therapist
So are you saying the OP is not worth Jack Sh^t and that, because you believe JF to have an agenda..........which may or may not be true, then all bets are off :confused:

That is precisely what we (ie me and other sensible/knowledgeable posters) are saying. There's no doubt JF has an agenda and is unable to separate fact and fiction in areas related to it. The reason behind this and the way it manifests itself has been clearly highlighted in a previous post. :cool:

Therapist

Therapist
Why oh why oh why are Rangers called "Rangers FC" on here?!

Because it's their proper name.

Therapist

jambojim52

You have a high opinion of your self if you think you are either sensible or knowledgeable IMHO. and as for the FC in rangers name, it is only those who support rangers that do it. We are hearts supporters, but do not continually refer to ourselves as Heart of Midlithian FC. If you think JF has an agenda try reading your own posts, and that of the other" sensible and knowledgeable" posters on here.

Therapist
as for the FC in rangers name, it is only those who support rangers that do it.

I hadn't realised that. :rolleyes:

Therapist

I can't remember the Dundee Utd in 1987 making all this fuss when they got to the final and I am sure they had a lot less players at their disposal than Rangers do.

Or is Smith bigging it up as a motivotional tactic, the old siege mentaillity - everyone is against us, lets prove them wrong.

I think off it as Karma as Earl would say, Walter Smith and Rangers screwed over the Scottish National Team and now are being screwed over by the SPL, what goes around, comes around.

The Old Tolbooth

For all those who think that one half of the bigot brothers (Rangers FC just to please some) have been hard done by, have a word with yourselves!!

Rangers have contributed to their own downfall of a fixture backlog! Are the Rangers apologists on here conveniently forgetting that THEIR pitch was unplayable for one match, and then their supposed world beaters couldn't beat Partick Thistle (FC) at home in the Scottish cup!!!

They are partly responsible, and any help for them at this late stage for their UEFA cup final preparations would also aid them in their league campaign, which would be unfair on Celtic, Motherwell, Hibs and Dundee Utd, who all still have something to play for.

Apart form the minor inaccuracies of John's opening post which have been pedantically pounced on, he is absoultely correct! They have been destroying Scottish football for years now and deserve absolutely no respect from anyone outside of their organisation.

jambojim52
I looked on google for the details surrounding the Lyon postponement :cool:

........and came up with this ( aye ok, I've already included it in the Dode burley thread I know :P )

http://celticunderground.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=573&Itemid=35

Interesting stuff

There is one good point in there and that's the lowering of the pitch. The water table for the river can't be much lower, so flooding will happen more often. If the global warming crowd are in anyway right ,the weather will get wetter. Sir David of Govan will manage all of their games, only if they join the water polo league.

Because it's their proper name.

Therapist

So from now on I assume that Heart of Midlothian FC will be referred to as such...?

Likewise for the rest of the league.

:rolleyes:

The Old Tolbooth
So from now on I assume that Heart of Midlothian FC will be referred to as such...?

Likewise for the rest of the league.

:rolleyes:

Apart from Hibs nil :)

Archived