Why Rangers and Sir David Murray

John Findlay

That close season David Murray rode into Ibrox on his white stallion(any resemblance to William of Orange is purely co-incidental). He hired Graeme Souness as his manager and then started to splash money as if it was going out of fashion. He was a lucky guy he could afford too. With the exception of Celtic(not really they couldnt afford too but, had to appease their fans) no-one could keep up with his spending. Lets not forget keeping up had Celtic going to the wall until a wee Canadian gadgey turned up.

That is factually incorrect.

Graeme Souness was manager of Hearts before Murray took the club over. It was the previous chairman who brought in Souness and a bunch of England International cloggers to Ibrox. Murray sailed in a year (?) later to claim the credit.

That is factually incorrect.

Graeme Souness was manager of Hearts before Murray took the club over. It was the previous chairman who brought in Souness and a bunch of England International cloggers to Ibrox. Murray sailed in a year (?) later to claim the credit.

You sure?

jambojim52
The Guardian article means nowt and i aint no baby bigot Klink

Took the bait there.

How do you know he was talking about you?:rolleyes:

John Findlay
Because it's their proper name.

Therapist

My agenda is pure and simple. To rid the Scottish game of two football clubs(I use the term loosely here) who have done more harm than they ever will do good for the game of association football in Scotland.

Yes you are right I do have an agenda.

John

That is precisely what we (ie me and other sensible/knowledgeable posters) are saying.

Need a Therapist?

Interesting use of the word 'other'.

Denny Crane
I can't remember the Dundee Utd in 1987 making all this fuss when they got to the final and I am sure they had a lot less players at their disposal than Rangers do.

Or is Smith bigging it up as a motivotional tactic, the old siege mentaillity - everyone is against us, lets prove them wrong.

I think off it as Karma as Earl would say, Walter Smith and Rangers screwed over the Scottish National Team and now are being screwed over by the SPL, what goes around, comes around.

For Dundee United in 87 also read Liverpool in 84. No complaints from either at the time. Maybe Jim McLean and Joe Fagan respectively had greater faith in their players to fulfill their obligations than Messrs Smith & Murray have in their own.

Also remember Ferguson in 99 saying of Man Utd's schedule that you want these extra games because it means you're doing well - he doubt remembered Aberdeen's hectic timetable at the backend of the 82/83 season.

Rangers could have done what Bolton did and fielded a weakened team for Europe if they felt their domestic schedule was getting a wee bit too much for them.

Stark reality is, Rangers have these extra games because they wanted the cup competitions as much as the SPL. Nothing wrong with that kind of ambition but don't have the gall to complain please. Anyone would think they were scared of what Zenit (or QoS) might do to them?;)

Archived