US Open Tennis Series

Rudi Skacel

Rudi Skacel

The US Open series is about to start.

The Montreal Masters starts on Monday with Cincinnati following the week after.

With Djokovic defending 1600 points from these 2 events and Murray defending only 180 points then its a good chance for him to take a good chunk out of the gap to Djokovic.

We are only 3 1/2 weeks away from the US Open aswell. Murray going into a grand slam as defending champion for the first time.

He is also bidding to reach his 5th slam final in a row and looking to become a grand slam champion for the 3rd time. Who would have thought that this time last year.

Interesting US Open stat, there have been 5 different winners in the last 5 years with Del Potro the only player since the Australian Open 05 to have won a slam outside The Big 4 when he won in 2009.

08: Federer

09: Del Potro

10: Nadal

11: Djokovic

12: Murray

ps please just keep this about Tennis. Dont want it shut before any tournament has even started.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I P Knightley

I thought the US Open Series included a few of the diddy tourneys in the run up to the Masters' events, like the one where Isner and Anderson played out the tallest ever final.

A proper diddy series but one that still manages to attract millions in sponsorship on top of the prize money the players would have had for winning the tournaments anyway. Maybe it makes the Americans feel better about themselves although, unlike Wimbledon and the Aussie, it's good that there's an attempt to have a mini-season build up to a Slam.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Love the US Open, only second to Wimbledon for me.

Murray will win this without much of a problem imo. Probably Djokovic Murray final again.

Tommy Wiseau

Bang up for this. This time last year I wasn't working so could stay up until hilarious times watching it. Not so this year unfortunately.

Fancy Murray to defend his title successfully if fitness stays with him. If Azarenka is at full fitness I fancy her on the women's side (and think she has a chance in the tournament as well amirite boys :smuggy: )

Gavsy Van Gaverson

There is an Andy Murray 2012 US Open special about to start on Sky Sports 4 at 7pm.

Rudi Skacel

There is an Andy Murray 2012 US Open special about to start on Sky Sports 4 at 7pm.

I watched one at xmas, was probably the same one they showed tonight but I had forgotten how mental the wind was in his Semi v Berdych. At one point all the chairs came flying on the court :laugh:

I P Knightley

Getting tickets lined up at the moment :smug:

Very generous of you Dave. Only the second week for me, though.

Is that the one hosted/narrated by Marcus Buckland?

Rudi Skacel

Federer withdraws from Canada with a back injury.

He is in real danger of missing out on the WTF in November. He is currently in 6th position but he is only 500 points ahead of 9th. He needs to have a good August/September.

Harry Palmer

Wish I'd taken Dave up on his offer but IP beat me to it.

When does it start? The US Open that is.

WTF is the WTF in November? :lol:

Harry Palmer

26th of August

And World Tour Finals

Ta. :)

No Olympics to distract...I know, it was a year ago..

5Live into the early hours though....especially if it's Murray and Djokovic again..which is likely and another Murray win.

I P Knightley

Has Rafa played a match since Wimbledon?

No. Nor have Murray or Djokovic or, I believe, Ferrer. Of the top 5, it's only Federer who's been trying to play.

Harry Palmer

Has Rafa played a match since Wimbledon?

Probably not...

In other news, Hingis is out of retirement, she was fine back in the day but hacket looking these days. Disappointing. Still managed to win a doubles match with that Hantuchova.

Rudi Skacel

Murray has entered the doubles with Colin Fleming.

Also in the doubles draw are Nadal, Ferrer and Berdych and its an all spanish clash in the first round with Nadal/Andijjar v Ferrer/Lopez in the first round.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Andy Murray so far cruising through his first match back since Wimbledon.

Wimbledon victory been mentioned around 1,000 times since the match began :lol:

Andy Murray so far cruising through his first match back since Wimbledon.

Wimbledon victory been mentioned around 1,000 times since the match began :lol:

You didn't think we wouldn't hear about this to death, did you? :lol:

Rudi Skacel

You didn't think we wouldn't hear about this to death, did you? :lol:

this will be tennis's 66 moment

I P Knightley

this will be tennis's 66 moment

Unfortunately so.

He could win 4 more US Opens, half a dozen Ozzies even a couple of Frenchies and not get past the first round at Wimbers ever more but he'll be known as the man who broke the Perry hoodoo.

Nadal didn't half pump the Canadiedoodle wild card they gave him to play with. Looks like a score from a women's game. 6-2 6-0.

I P Knightley

Looks like a decent line up of matches this evening.

Nadal gets to play big Jerzy first; then Murray plays Gulbises before JMDP takes on Raonic and then Djokovic plays Istomin.

Of those, I expect Jerzy to give Rafa a bit of a rough ride and JMDP needed all three sets against Dodig so may find Raonic, with his home crowd, a bit of a toughie. Murray's match depends on which of the Ernests comes out but it's more likely that Murray gets through in two.

Rafa's quarter lost a couple of seeds yesterday (Haas and Stan) which should make life a little easier for him or Jerzy.

Rudi Skacel

This is why Murray isnt close to being number 1, he is too inconsistent in the Masters events. Only caught the last 2 games so not sure how he played.

rudi must stay

This is why Murray isnt close to being number 1, he is too inconsistent in the Masters events. Only caught the last 2 games so not sure how he played.

As long as he plays well in the grand slams i'm sure he'll be content, he used to put too much into these events, Federer and Nadal would lose to Murray but in the majors they'd win quite easily against him.

Dont know why I said the Bryans, I just assumed they would be through but it isnt, any Murray and Fleming 6-3 4-0 up. No coverage sadly

By winning Montreal Nadal is up to 3 in the rankings and around 700 behind Murray at No. 2. There is still a doubt that Nadal will play Cincinnati but if he does he could pass Murray and be the 2nd seed for the US Open.

Murray and Fleming lost the Doubles final 6-4, 7-6.

Nadal has no points to defend between now and February so he will end up Number 2 at least by the end of this year.

Murray needs to win tonight and tomorow to be gaurenteed as the second seed.

Dropping down to number 3 means he would be seeded to play both of them in the US Open. If he stays at 2 then he could only be playing Djokovic providing he gets lucky with the draw.

I P Knightley

6-2 6-2. Job done; gubbing yet another Frenchie along the way. He's got a remarkable record against our Auld Allies.

Next up is supposed to be the Big Berd.

I P Knightley

Djokovic pumpded oot in the QF by big John Isner who actually broke Djoko's serve in the third set. So Djoko's chance of a 'first' has gone begging.

Murray and Berdych chuntering along on serve in the first set at 4-3.

edit: Another Knightley kiss of death. Berdych breaks Murray's serve to lead 5-3.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Murray out.

Disappointing

Went out early last year and won the US Open. More of the same please.

Right, for Murray to be seeded number 2 we need Rafa not to win the tourny.

As I said it could be the difference between needing to play both Rafa and Djokovic to win or just 1 of the 2.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Right, for Murray to be seeded number 2 we need Rafa not to win the tourny.

As I said it could be the difference between needing to play both Rafa and Djokovic to win or just 1 of the 2.

Who else could win the tournament other than Rafa?

Murray desperately needs to become more consistent. It's sort of okay if inconsistency means he doesn't become number 1, but when it starts to make his Slams harder, he needs to think about sorting it.

Archived