Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

The Mighty Thor
40 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Yip.  Just a drip in the ocean compared to the damage the clowns at Holyrood would do to Scotland's economy and jobs with no plan and zero concrete policies published.

You able to back that up Franky boy? 

34 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Liz Truss is the Tory equivalent of our first minister.  Neither fit for purpose.

The SNP racked up a £1.5bn budget shortfall at Holyrood despite not having anything like the same financial responsibilities.

Mind the last time you brought this up?

What the UK budget shortfall again and how does that stack up pro-rata?

19 minutes ago, frankblack said:

So will independence safeguard the jobs of the many thousands in the likes of finance and Oil and Gas industries or put them at risk? 

Will Scotland not have either a finance industry or Oil and gas after independence?

I'd suggest those jobs are at as much risk under the Westminster government and their policies.

24 minutes ago, frankblack said:

How would being independent have worked out during the pandemic and would it have had a negative or positive impact? Your argument seems to be to remove us from the G7 would strengthen our economy? 

I've no idea Frank. It didn't happen so it's as irrelevant as asking how our economy would have fared in WWII. 

I suspect that we wouldn't have spent £37 billion on a track & trace scheme that didn't work. Nor would we have allowed the wholesale thievery of billions by Tory cronies. 

29 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Ok.  Did they publish fully audited accounts in that case?

So about this fraud you suggested. Who has been prosecuted for fraud?

31 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I'm comparing her crashing the economy to what the SNP would do to ours given the powers.

Again your conflating what you think might happen, in your mind, with what actually did happen. 

Truss burst the UK economy in 44 days.

I'd maybe not use her to illustrate anything. 

34 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That captain hindsight argument doesn't help us now.  We don't have an oil fund like Norway, and bitching about it doesn't help either argument.

So let me get this right. Oil and gas propping up the UK economy for 50 years is OK but the minute the SNP forecast based on it then its pie in the sky? Right?

By the way Norway runs a £2.3 trillion surplus and the UK is running a £2.7 trillion deficit. 

But we've to believe that Westminster is the fiscally sound parliament. Aye?

42 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Writing Fact at the end of your sentence doesn't make it a fact.  The word you were looking for is opinion.

Frank Scotland and her citizens are poorer in 2024 than they were in 2014. That is a quantifiable fact. 

You might not like it but the fact is we are by no measure better together. 

44 minutes ago, frankblack said:

A sizeable chunk of that will be due to Scotland's costs.  Mismanaged absolutely but we need the Tories out.

Can you tell us just how much of that £2.7 trillion is due to 'Scotland's costs' plz. 

Otherwise you're just slavering pish. 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Will Scotland not have either a finance industry or Oil and gas after independence?

I'd suggest those jobs are at as much risk under the Westminster government and their policies.

I've no idea Frank. It didn't happen so it's as irrelevant as asking how our economy would have fared in WWII. 

I suspect that we wouldn't have spent £37 billion on a track & trace scheme that didn't work. Nor would we have allowed the wholesale thievery of billions by Tory cronies. 

Again your conflating what you think might happen, in your mind, with what actually did happen. 

So let me get this right. Oil and gas propping up the UK economy for 50 years is OK but the minute the SNP forecast based on it then its pie in the sky? Right?

By the way Norway runs a £2.3 trillion surplus and the UK is running a £2.7 trillion deficit. 

Frank Scotland and her citizens are poorer in 2024 than they were in 2014. That is a quantifiable fact. 

Can you tell us just how much of that £2.7 trillion is due to 'Scotland's costs' plz. 

You slaver as much pish as those you accuse.

Whether you like it or not. The onus is on those advocating a breakaway from the United Kingdom have to convince the majority that an independent Scotland will be more beneficial than the Status Quo.

The argument the UK is push under the Tories, Labour or whoever doesn't convince.

Whether those advocating independence want to believe it or not. The main independence party the SNP, are proving they are just as shit as anyone else.

If, you argue the SNP are not solely the way to independence, then the question is, who is replacing them?

Dirty Deeds
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That'll be the Liz Truss that wiped £400 billion off UK pension funds. 

My pension company wrote to me post the Truss debacle withdrawing a quote they'd issued just prior.

She's probably added 2 years to my working life alone, I'm now 54 and was hoping to retire at 57.

Genuinely irreparable damage to the whole working population and it barely gets a mention.

There's something deeply wrong with the Conservative party, the damage they've done in recent years is staggering and I've no faith that Labour have the skills to fix it.

Will we be worse off in an independent Scotland, I don't see how it's possible based on the UK's trajectory for the past decade. The risk is sticking with these absolute wreckers.

The Mighty Thor
26 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You slaver as much pish as those you accuse.

Whether you like it or not. The onus is on those advocating a breakaway from the United Kingdom have to convince the majority that an independent Scotland will be more beneficial than the Status Quo.

The argument the UK is push under the Tories, Labour or whoever doesn't convince.

Whether those advocating independence want to believe it or not. The main independence party the SNP, are proving they are just as shit as anyone else.

If, you argue the SNP are not solely the way to independence, then the question is, who is replacing them?

Thats why the SNP produced a white paper John. That's pretty much all they can do. They can't prove it will be better as much as you can't prove it'll be worse. 

If the current state of the UK under the Westminster parties doesn't convince you then probably nothing will. That's fair enough. 

The Mighty Thor
28 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

My pension company wrote to me post the Truss debacle withdrawing a quote they'd issued just prior.

She's probably added 2 years to my working life alone, I'm now 54 and was hoping to retire at 57.

Genuinely irreparable damage to the whole working population and it barely gets a mention.

There's something deeply wrong with the Conservative party, the damage they've done in recent years is staggering and I've no faith that Labour have the skills to fix it.

Will we be worse off in an independent Scotland, I don't see how it's possible based on the UK's trajectory for the past decade. The risk is sticking with these absolute wreckers.

No no they're suddenly going to turn around the downward trajectory of the UK and it'll be sunshine and lollipops all the way.

One or two terms of Labour following the Tory economic mantra will probably finish the UK off.

John Findlay
26 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Thats why the SNP produced a white paper John. That's pretty much all they can do. They can't prove it will be better as much as you can't prove it'll be worse. 

If the current state of the UK under the Westminster parties doesn't convince you then probably nothing will. That's fair enough. 

The old government white papers.

As much use as a chocolate fireguard.

No matter which government publishes them.

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The old government white papers.

As much use as a chocolate fireguard.

No matter which government publishes them.

It's all they can do John. 

The SNP has published them and they are out there to be pulled apart.

I'd love to see the UK gov produce such documents, just so we can compare and contrast.

Mind you white papers aren't required when you've removed freedom of movement, reduced GDP by over 4% and cost the country more than £100 billion a year and that's just on one shit decision. 

Gundermann
4 hours ago, frankblack said:

Liz Truss is the Tory equivalent of our first minister.  Neither fit for purpose.

The SNP racked up a £1.5bn budget shortfall at Holyrood despite not having anything like the same financial responsibilities.

Really? I thought that under the terms of devolution, we have to balance the books? Hence why it's such a bugger mitigating all the shoight legislation from Westminster.

frankblack
10 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Really? I thought that under the terms of devolution, we have to balance the books? Hence why it's such a bugger mitigating all the shoight legislation from Westminster.

That's just it.  Should have considered that when throwing cash around e.g. settling too quickly with unions, handing out free bus passes to youngsters who don't need them.  Never mind shitshows like the Ferries and green policies such as Spaces For People that they funded.

Gundermann
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That's just it.  Should have considered that when throwing cash around e.g. settling too quickly with unions, handing out free bus passes to youngsters who don't need them.  Never mind shitshows like the Ferries and green policies such as Spaces For People that they funded.

Heh!

You've nailed it. All what's wrong in the world - trade unions, youngsters on buses and ferry hold-ups.

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

Roxy Hearts
Just now, Gundermann said:

Heh!

You've nailed it. All what's wrong in the world - trade unions, youngsters on buses and ferry hold-ups.

🤣

frankblack
13 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Heh!

I never said it was trade unions that were the issue - it was the irresponsible spending of the Nats who clearly failed in economics.  They created their own budget shortfall by being incompetent.

That's one expensive Ferry hold up the SNP are entirely responsible for by rigging the procurement process. 

There were terms in the invitation to tender which the Glasgow yard did not meet yet somehow didn't get thrown out and beat competitors who did.

I'm just surprised those companies are not taking legal action, but perhaps that may still come.

Edited by frankblack

Gundermann
16 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I never said it was trade unions that were the issue - it was the irresponsible spending of the Nats who clearly failed in economics.  They created their own budget shortfall by being incompetent.

That's one expensive Ferry hold up the SNP are entirely responsible for by rigging the procurement process. 

There were terms in the invitation to tender which the Glasgow yard did not meet yet somehow didn't get thrown out and beat competitors who did.

I'm just surprised those companies are not taking legal action, but perhaps that may still come.

I love your priorities. Btw, I'm not sure ferry contracts are the ideal moral highground for an argument against Scottish self-government...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/09/government-cancels-brexit-ferry-contract-with-no-ship-firm

frankblack
6 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

I love your priorities. Btw, I'm not sure ferry contracts are the ideal moral highground for an argument against Scottish self-government...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/09/government-cancels-brexit-ferry-contract-with-no-ship-firm

More whatabootery.  

I'm not going to defend the tories record.  This is about the SNP.

Malinga the Swinga
23 minutes ago, frankblack said:

More whatabootery.  

Wasting your time. Every thread about SNP ends up with nationalists saying 'but whatabout the Tories'. After years in government, it's all they have.

JudyJudyJudy
49 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Wasting your time. Every thread about SNP ends up with nationalists saying 'but whatabout the Tories'. After years in government, it's all they have.

Thsts all they have . I’d rather having a current shite status quo then have a SNP led Indy Scotland . Honestly horrifies me to think how bad it would be . As John said it’s up to the separatists to argue their case , unionists do no need to argue any case 

Roxy Hearts
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Thsts all they have . I’d rather having a current shite status quo then have a SNP led Indy Scotland . Honestly horrifies me to think how bad it would be . As John said it’s up to the separatists to argue their case , unionists do no need to argue any case 

We'd have Scottish elections to choose our governments. 

Gundermann
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

More whatabootery.  

No, it's not. It's a thread about independence and therefore the Union too. Ferry boats and youngsters on buses has got effall to do with it.

Start an SNP thread if you're so bothered.

Jim_Duncan
39 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

No, it's not. It's a thread about independence and therefore the Union too. Ferry boats and youngsters on buses has got effall to do with it.

Start an SNP thread if you're so bothered.

Spot on. The SNP have nothing to do with independence. 

AyrJambo
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Independence isn't the SNP

If anything the SNP would be surplus to requirements after independence since their alleged raison d'etre (independence) would no longer require a party of independence

So elections would be fought between the other existing parties and possibly new ones but they would all be Scottish parties based and funded in Scotland

And the idea that unionists do not need to argue a case for the union is one of convenience because they don't have one

AyrJambo

That is correct!

They have settled for devolution and Westminster short money and pensions

Edited by AyrJambo

AyrJambo
12 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

That is correct!

They have settled for devolution and Westminster short money and pensions

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Independence isn't the SNP

If anything the SNP would be surplus to requirements after independence since their alleged raison d'etre (independence) would no longer require a party of independence

So elections would be fought between the other existing parties and possibly new ones but they would all be Scottish parties based and funded in Scotland

And the idea that unionists do not need to argue a case for the union is one of convenience because they don't have one

Wrong . All that mob , including the creepy greens will be desperate to have their place in history as the first Govt of an Indy Scotland . The gravy train continuing with the safety net of Westminster knocking them on the nut when needed . Just glad it’s never going to happen 

The Mighty Thor
29 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Indeed. 

In the 10 years since the independence referendum you'd be incredibly hard pushed to find even one positive thing about the union. 

It's been calamity after calamity.

manaliveits105
37 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Wrong . All that mob , including the creepy greens will be desperate to have their place in history as the first Govt of an Indy Scotland . The gravy train continuing with the safety net of Westminster knocking them on the nut when needed . Just glad it’s never going to happen 

Correct James they missed an open goal and the game is now over

IMG_4518.jpeg

AyrJambo
39 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I'm sure they'll try but it will be up to the Scottish electorate whether they succeed!

Not sure what you second point is - Westminster is the gravy train for the SNP but would not be after independence

the posh bit
45 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Voted YES in 2014. ⬆️

AyrJambo
7 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

IMG_4518.jpeg

img100-900x700.png.webp

JudyJudyJudy
48 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I meant they want the gravy train to continue with NO safety net of Westminster if we became Indy so they could run ragged 

Cranston
43 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Indeed. 

In the 10 years since the independence referendum you'd be incredibly hard pushed to find even one positive thing about the union. 

It's been calamity after calamity.

Imagine President Salmond had been let loose upon the Scottish women of our country? Dearie me.

Cranston
9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I meant they want the gravy train to continue with NO safety net of Westminster if we became Indy so they could run ragged 

👍

Exactly. They pretend all sorts of scenarios. Sitting in their Leith hash filled shitholes kidding each other on that indy eire will be manna from heaven for layabouts, with ever increasing benefits coming their drug induced way. 

Jim_Duncan
14 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Imagine President Salmond had been let loose upon the Scottish women of our country? Dearie me.

The great man should have been brought women on demand anyway. 

AyrJambo
17 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Exactly. They pretend all sorts of scenarios. Sitting in their Leith hash filled shitholes kidding each other on that indy eire will be manna from heaven for layabouts, with ever increasing benefits coming their drug induced way. 

I think Ireland is already independent

Are you feeling OK?

Edited by AyrJambo

5 minutes ago, Cranston said:

👍

:vrface:

18 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Are you fine tonight?

Japan Jambo
19 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Amazing how the revolution devours it's own children. Once in a generation politician and yet the separatists are falling over themselves to disown him.

John Findlay
12 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Amazing how the revolution devours it's own children. Once in a generation politician and yet the separatists are falling over themselves to disown him.

Their biggest mistake.

il Duce McTarkin
8 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I know you'd rather be rag-dolling the trouble-and-strife, Thor, but rag-dolling wee frank is a better spectacle for the neutral.

Cranston
43 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Are you fine tonight?

Good mate. I appreciate me more than anyone should be careful, but, I stick to my melon man. Cheers Morgan, yer a good un old son. 👍

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

IMG_4518.jpeg

Yep 

Gundermann
8 hours ago, Cranston said:

👍

Gorgie Sighthill ward votes SNP and Green BTW.

jack D and coke
13 hours ago, frankblack said:

Who were the competitors btw? Foreign yards? 

8 hours ago, Cranston said:

Good mate. I appreciate me more than anyone should be careful, but, I stick to my melon man. Cheers Morgan, yer a good un old son. 👍

Great stuff.

Keep that melon sticky.

👌

frankblack
9 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

That was my earlier point yesterday.  By the time they have realised how much they have ****ed the economy, the damage will be long lasting.

manaliveits105

If there is one positive for Humza Yousaf to take from the polls as he marks his first year in Bute House, it is that his approval ratings have not got any worse.

“Basically, it's a flat line,” Professor Sir John Curtice tells the Herald on Sunday.

Jings  another smurfy hero on the way oot already ?

IMG_4883.jpeg

Edited by manaliveits105

1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

If there is one positive for Humza Yousaf to take from the polls as he marks his first year in Bute House, it is that his approval ratings have not got any worse.

“Basically, it's a flat line,” Professor Sir John Curtice tells the Herald on Sunday.

IMG_4883.jpeg

Hopefully he limps on to the next Scottish elections 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

IMG_4883.jpeg

Amazed that he even got passed a year . Evidences the dearth in Scottish politics . 

JudyJudyJudy

Check the nick of them . Protesting against the “ redcoat coat” cafe ! 

😂😂😂🤮

“ this is the Scottish resistance , we will never give up the fight for Scottish freedom “ 

https://x.com/gitgrumpygit/status/1771878590549823704?s=46&t=Uyg6zS_aUfEwlXY6vOoxzQ

IMG_7827.jpeg

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Dirty Deeds
58 minutes ago, pablo said:

Hopefully he limps on to the next Scottish elections 

And I think he will, there doesn't appear to be a strong candidate waiting in wings. 

I personally think that the SNP need a couple of election bloody noses to sort itself out and replace the Sturgeon acolytes. 

manaliveits105
33 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Check the nick of them . Protesting against the “ redcoat coat” cafe ! 

😂😂😂🤮

“ this is the Scottish resistance , we will never give up the fight for Scottish freedom “ 

https://x.com/gitgrumpygit/status/1771878590549823704?s=46&t=Uyg6zS_aUfEwlXY6vOoxzQ

IMG_7827.jpeg

:facepalm:
"change it to any other name you want"

what about The Union Cafe ?