The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

While I have refrained from commenting on the case, I am curious about references I have seen from other posters about Murray's metals business.

How was it tied in to the Rangers entity of the time?

Lloyds Bank seeking to rid itself of involvement in Scottish football and get at least some of its money back offered David Murray his Metals business back if he cleared the bank debt or sold Rangers to allow it to be cleared. All part of debt restructuring of Murray's business.

Murray bought it back for ?1

Edit - Murray International Metals was where it all started for David Murray. His first love as it were.

Edited by Mikey1874

Footballfirst

While I have refrained from commenting on the case, I am curious about references I have seen from other posters about Murray's metals business.

How was it tied in to the Rangers entity of the time?

To put it in context, the whole of the Murray Group was effectively going through a managed insolvency process leading to its eventual liquidation at the behest of Lloyds.

Lloyds wanted assets such as properties (and football clubs) sold off to raise funds, reduce indebtedness and exposure to further losses.  The Metals business was SDM's first business venture in that area and he wanted Lloyds to give/sell it back to him and his family. Lloyds agreed that he could get control back if he first sold Rangers.  SDM was therefore incentivised to sell Rangers no matter what.  In the end SDM did get (part of) the Metals business back following the sale of RFC.

To put it in context, the whole of the Murray Group was effectively going through a managed insolvency process leading to its eventual liquidation at the behest of Lloyds.

Lloyds wanted assets such as properties (and football clubs) sold off to raise funds, reduce indebtedness and exposure to further losses.  The Metals business was SDM's first business venture in that area and he wanted Lloyds to give/sell it back to him and his family. Lloyds agreed that he could get control back if he first sold Rangers.  SDM was therefore incentivised to sell Rangers no matter what.  In the end SDM did get (part of) the Metals business back following the sale of RFC.

And that's why he sold it  gave it way for ?1 to a guy whose old man he was well acquainted with. And who he knew full well was a con man  rescuer of distressed businesses. 

BelgeJambo

The Jury is out to consider its verdict - should return tomorrow according to Doleman

Footballfirst

There were twitter reports at the weekend that Dave King had indicated that Alastair Johnston would be joining to the RIFC Board, when he was at the NARSA meeting in Las Vegas.

Today, the Scottish Sun is running with the story, suggesting that an announcement will be made in the next week. I guess they will have been holding off until the conclusion of the CW trial, lest he should have been called as a witness and his previous decisions as RFC chairman held up to ridicule.

Not guilty on both counts

Is my prediction

I agree. If he is found guilty though - is there the right of appeal against verdict/sentence? 

I agree. If he is found guilty though - is there the right of appeal against verdict/sentence? 

Hope so. Can't sit through whole days at work without having Doleman's updates every few minutes!

jambovambo

James Doleman? @jamesdoleman 13s13 seconds ago

Breaking : Craig Whyte cleared of all charges at Glasgow High Court. More follows

Edited by jambovambo

jambovambo

I think that's the correct verdict. Murray must've known damn fine what was going on.

Duped, not.

King Of The Cat Cafe

James Doleman? @jamesdoleman 13s13 seconds ago

Breaking : Craig Whyte cleared of all charges at Glasgow High Court. More follows

Now that the case is over, can I be among the first 10,000 or so to say I knew from the very outset that would be the outcome.

buzzbomb1958

Go on the govan one,wrong person in the dock Imo who made the money out of the sale they're the ones who should have been on trial

Poor Craigy having to be dragged through all this nonsense.

MAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Poseidon

so will anything happen to David Murray?

Unlikely I'd have thought, apart from more Rangers fans maybe turning on him. Not sure how many still defended his running of the club up til now though - I know a couple who were and we're playing the whyte fraud card as much as they could.

Edited by 269miles

Jambo-Jimbo

Correct Decision IMO.

I wonder who the orcs are going to blame now?

Has to be Murray surely, enough came out in court to show that he left them high and dry with no cares of what the future held for them, all he wanted was to get rid of this yoke around his neck and get his metals business back and cared not a jot how he did it. 

Chance's of Craigy boy suing the crown?

I'd think he's going back to Monaco to check the title deeds. Either way , he got something for his troubles. He didn't go through this pain for nothing IMO. 

Rangers fans on Bears den blaming the fact there were no 'rangers minded folk' on the jury :lol: One or two now blaming Whyte but for the rest it's all part of the big conspiracy. Delightful!

I'd think he's going back to Monaco to check the title deeds. Either way , he got something for his troubles. He didn't go through this pain for nothing IMO. 

Definitely.  I hope it's not the end we see of CW.

Bears Den

"Remember this is a guy who tried to flee to Mexico in disguise!   Guilty!"

B3aOejyIYAI4Al_.jpg

Tommy Brown

it's the next stage in the saga where the really dodgy dealing took place, Administration.

This would be a court case worth watching.

A huge waste of public money. Little doubt now who should be blamed for all of Rangers ills. I wonder if the majority of their support will have the IQ to work out who.

Edited by Deevers

'I feel physically sick. The ******* who raped our club has just had his actions endorsed by the corrupt fenian judicial system'

Nae luck Bighouse :smug:

jamboy1982

Bearsden is a madhouse. Some totally brainwashed deranged nutters on there

Bazzas right boot

Bearsden is a madhouse. Some totally brainwashed deranged nutters on there

It's a horrific example of "humanity".

johnking123

Still nothing but crooks in charge. Club is an embarrassment to Scottish Football!

Brave Hearts

Wonder how the sycophantic succulent lamb media will report this outcome that David Murray/Fraser didn't care about the Huns and just wanted to get rid of the club (even if it meant it going to the wall) as long as he got control back of Murray Group.

Where is Jim Traynor and Chuck Dung ? Silence.

kingdannyb

So the jury have decided that Murray was fully aware that Whyte had no money and was going to use Ticketus.

Murray simply didn't want the responsibility of being the one who took Rangers into their inevitable liquidation.

Brave Hearts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17364257

"Rangers 'duped' by Whyte, says Sir David Murray" 14/12/2012

So the outcome of the Whyte court case and this interview with the BBC in 2012 now proving that David Murray/Fraser was telling lies all along to the succulent lamb media and to the gullible Huns .............

Jury out for an hour, was it?

20 minutes for tea and biscuits

10 minutes to agree on chairperson.

1 minute for chairperson to ask if anyone had a clear view on their understanding of the charges of the case

5 minutes for one guy / gal to articulate

- The purchase price was a pound.

-  McCoist confirmed he was given ?5m in additional funds for the playing squad in year 1

- The ?1.7m for repairs were undertaken.

-  While technically not allowed to, Whyte discussed whether appeal possible re the WTC with HMRC

-  Rangers the business itself had built up bank debts of ?18m at time of takeover, so it is realistic the business itself should be expected to fund repayment of it.

-  Murray should have known about 3rd party funding and if not, his advisers should have told him that was what Whyte was doing

- Murray appeared to have a pseudonym email of nom of David Fraser, where he was told about 3rd party funding

- The SPA allowed the purchaser to ignore any of the conditions of the SPA.

- The pound was paid by it being thrown across the table

- Recommends a NOT GUILTY verdict.

Chairperson and 9 other jurors nod heads in agreement but decision delayed by another 4 minutes as 4 of the jurors do a Red Hand of Ulster salute and start singing the sash.

Chairperson reminds 4 jurors of guidance from judge re conflict of interest and jurors in contempt of court tend to be gaoled.

Order resorted and 5 minutes taken as chair person goes round each juror to ask if they have decided on a verdict for each charge and notes each one.

15 minutes notice given for jury to return to court of chairperson to announce NOT GUILTY verdict on each count.

Footballfirst

James Doleman? @jamesdoleman 1m1 minute ago

•  

Now contempt orders lifted will be writing up a full analysis, including stories we couldn't tell you until now. #WhyteTrial

The biggest injustice was the failure of the Police and the COPFS.

We had seven people on the original indictment and we ended up with one.  Why was that?

It was pure incompetence by the Police and the COPFS in gathering evidence and putting a case together.  They had so much information in their hands but failed to put a coherent argument. 

Ahmad we know about, having done a runner to Pakistan to escape arrest.

Green (notwithstanding the Sevco 5088/Scotland debacle) was judged to have acted reasonably as CEO. The price he paid was not unreasonable given the distressed assets and no licence to play football.  The bonus 5m shares was not a unreasonable reward given that he raised ?22m in the IPO.

Grier was deemed not to have had undue influence when he assisted Whyte as it was Whyte who ultimately took the decisions.

D&P (Clark and Whitehouse) were deemed to have acted fairly and gained the best possible price for the assets. This was not helped by the COPFS not being able to show what a "true value" or "market value" for the assets should have been.

All three of the D&P guys had privileged evidence removed for their offices illegally by Police Scotland and the City of London Police.  They have already had a damages award of ?500k  from the COLP and are currently pursuing PS in an action at the Court of Session

...... and perhaps the worst of all Gary Withey.  He had taken legal advice in preparation for an action by the Oldco (BDO) against Collyer Bristow and prepared notes with his lawyer in defence of that action. However Police Scotland (the lead being DCI Robertson) visited his home and despite being told that a box of papers were Client/Lawyer confidential and therefore privileged, the papers were taken away and given to the COPFS.  The COPFS, in their infinite wisdom, then decided to disclose these documents to the other defendants. It put Withey in the position of being open to arguments by the other defendants who may wish to blame him for what had happened.  Lord Bannatyne was scathing of the Advocate Depute (James Keegan) as he described the papers as mapping out Withey's defence strategy, meaning that he could not get a fair trial and would have to be released.

Keegan was amateur, at best, and tried to salvage some credibility as the cases against the other defendants was falling apart and issued a press release saying that Green and the D&P guys could be re-indicted on other charges.  Again Lord Bannatyne and the D&P legal teams were not amused and asked the the Lord Advocate be summoned to court to explain why such a statement was issued.  Needless to say Keegan was quickly removed from the Crown team.

Edited by Footballfirst

John Findlay

Did Whyte end up with any profit out of this entire saga?

Aye the money SDM paid him on the QT to be the Patsy. Scottish football rotten to the core.

Where do The Rangers go from here? If CW had been hailed, the fans would've had their scapegoat , instead Sir David will probably become the fall guy he tried his best to avoid.

Meanwhile Caxhino is signing a new team, some allegedly for ?1m , no doubt the wage bill will rocket as the gamble to progress in Europe and become the 2nd force domestically.

Whilst I'd love to see Hearts make a marquee signing, I fully understand financial prudence and learning from previous mistakes.

This thread will continue to rattle up the pages, some ITK'ers will predict the end is nigh for The Rangers while they continue oblivious to any doomsday .

• Maple Leaf locked this topic