The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

Come Friday this is what the glib and shameless one could be left holding 11949894331101577697bomb_01.svg.hi.png

You're despicable.

Jambo-Jimbo

It's going to take an awful lot of money to see off Ashley for good - and I doubt very much if King and Co have either the cash or the will power to oust him. This whole mess has quite a way to run and the chaos will continue for a good while yet. A look on Bears Den shows just how many of the orcs just don't get it and think that the new messiah has arrived and all their troubles are behind them.

Been saying this for weeks now, most of the orcs just seem to think that as soon as King gets in he'll just wave his magic wand and it will be like everything over the last 3-4 years just didn't happen.

They will instantly be challenging Celtic, instantly back in the Champions League and have more money flowing in than what some countries GDP is.

I wonder how long it will take for them to realise that all that King & the 3 bears will have got is a poisoned chalice.

Hell mend them. I hope King drives them to destruction.

I wonder who they'll blame this time when this happens. 

As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

I wonder who they'll blame this time when this happens.

As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

They celebrated with Craig Whyte when he lifted the SPL trophy.

They lapped up Charles Green when he stuck it to the SFA / SPL / Rangers' 'enemies'

They bought into Ashley when he first came on the scene.

Now it's King, who they have been begging to take over for going on three years now. If it goes tits up, then they have no hiding place. They are getting EXACTLY what they want.

I P Knightley

ha ha ha I am loving MA's skills

You release a statement I pull out my Ace boom take that.

Yesterday's announcement on the next ?5m was masterful. Ashley will have the best PR, media and legal people on his team.

King's PR skills extend as far as getting the Scottish (Glasgow) media to gaze doe-eyed at him and faithfully trot out his utterances without question. One way or another, King is going to end up looking foolish through the next few months. He may well win the vote on Friday; I reckon he'll regret it within two weeks.

The Comedian

I bet you if Fedotovas applied for a directorship under FPP he would be rejected (rightly). What's the difference?

Why didn't the SFA protect us from Whyte was a common whinge back when the old club was circling the plug hole.

I'd say that's right out the window for King. You cannot make that mob up as they'll be irate if King is rightly refused a position on the board.

There seems to be an assumption that Ashley, a very successful billionaire will waste his time fighting over the twitching corpse of a 2.5 year old football club in a lower league.

Watch for a tactical withdrawal to "concentrate on Newcastle Utd"

There seems to be an assumption that Ashley, a very successful billionaire will waste his time fighting over the twitching corpse of a 2.5 year old football club in a lower league.

Hope your wrong :(

You been looking at Twitter?

Dalstonjambo

Whilst making sure he gets all the money back he invested at an absolute minimum. This man is a vulture. He will take every last penny he can get. 

He'll still want his pound of flesh before he goes.

I've not read the last  200 posts just some, but -  is Ashley not shoving Newcom  back into Admin , if the next ?5M loan tranche is not suddenly made available this month?

The company surely folds at that point ,  IS that the poison challice for King?  

IF Ashely thinks King IS winning this, surely its Admin that would be his main tactic? 

I ask questions.. 

Ashley does this kind of stuff for shits and giggles, plus he has his reputation to maintain. He wont let it lie

I've not read the last  200 posts just some, but -  is Ashley not shoving Newcom  back into Admin , if the next ?5M loan tranche is not suddenly made available this month?

Edited: have read much more now,   so KIng will need to pay Ashley his ?10M back in order to remove Lambias etc, or the club will lose Murray Park ( for example) by default.

Then King and the three bears will remove the Ashley surrogates.   I see no alternative, to King forking out his own cash, in spite of what he has said so far. 

Fort Vallance

No doubt. Just incredible that they can let King swan in and take over with the history he has. Simply wouldn't be allowed at any other club.

I can think of at least one other.

King Of The Cat Cafe

Found this in an old Sunday Times interview from February, apologies if already posted here:

DAVE KING GIFTED ?20m to Rangers as a director during the Sir David Murray era, paid more than ?40m to the South African authorities to settle a bitter and bruising tax dispute with them and now estimates that repairing the club so that it can compete more meaningfully with Celtic than at Hampden a week ago will require a further ?25m of his fortune. If not a bottomless pit, then it seems the would-be saviour of Rangers can reach into a pretty deep one.

He also said having the right manager was critical, he was minded to follow what Fergus McCann did at Celtic in terms of restructuring the club.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Whether Ashley pulls out or not is moot. He wants his cash back and his hold on Hun shirts protected.

IF Ashely thinks King IS winning this, surely its Admin that would be his main tactic? 

I ask questions.. 

King has ?50m; ?30m; ?16m; ?8m (knicked from a poster above) to chuck at Rangers.

And even if he doesn't  then he is merely the leverage for Jim McColl, Tom Hunter and dozens of other multi millionaires to trust him with their dough.

So the loans can be repaid.   :)

I think the last consortium King fronted was him and the 3 bears and they had ?16m to invest immediately.  A share issue would be held with some of the loans repaid back and the remainder converted to shares.

So King does ( ;) ) have the money to repay any Ashley loans and release all security Sports direct has over the assets.

Meanwhile Ashley retains all the non core football revenues.

The perfect partnership.

Re your Q - is Ashley pushing Rangers to admin?  I doubt it.  He is just making sure King isn't all bluster, pays what he says he will, while allowing Ashley to retain all profitable elements of the business.

Edited by DETTY29

Whether Ashley pulls out or not is moot. He wants his cash back and his hold on Hun shirts protected.

Indeed.  Are we forgetting that he is a sports retailer?  He has made the income from the retail side of the biggest club in Scotland his.  If King or whoever makes Rangers successful again, the fans WILL start buying "taps" again and the income will flow to Sports Direct.  Job done for Ashley.

This isnt a wishful thinking post - but it is dependant upon what Mike Ashley really wants, and the wording behind his loan deals, and the presumption that he is now the clubs biggest creditor.

Administration - as we know the biggest creditor essentially controls how the process of administration is resolved. If it isnt then liquidation awaits.

Isnt that Mike Ashley's absolutely biggest lever here?

Found this in an old Sunday Times interview from February, apologies if already posted here:

DAVE KING GIFTED ?20m to Rangers as a director during the Sir David Murray era, paid more than ?40m to the South African authorities to settle a bitter and bruising tax dispute with them and now estimates that repairing the club so that it can compete more meaningfully with Celtic than at Hampden a week ago will require a further ?25m of his fortune. If not a bottomless pit, then it seems the would-be saviour of Rangers can reach into a pretty deep one.

He also said having the right manager was critical, he was minded to follow what Fergus McCann did at Celtic in terms of restructuring the club.

Excuse my skepticism but I don't believe in ?20M gifts. Going by Murray and Kings historic dealings I assume the term gift means tax free payment. I cant believe he did not get anything out of it. I assume that 20 million got him on the board, where he got a wage, and I assume he got his expenses covered to attend board meeting and games. I also assume that the money did not come from his personal piggy bank, but one of his company. 

jamboinglasgow

Yesterday's announcement on the next ?5m was masterful. Ashley will have the best PR, media and legal people on his team.

King's PR skills extend as far as getting the Scottish (Glasgow) media to gaze doe-eyed at him and faithfully trot out his utterances without question. One way or another, King is going to end up looking foolish through the next few months. He may well win the vote on Friday; I reckon he'll regret it within two weeks.

Even he probably cant believe how much the media in Scotland give him an easy ride.

"Mr King"

"Ah yes Keith Jackson from the daily record, what is your question"

"Do you think you will be able to pass fit and proper person with SFA and the stock exchange considering the tax case in South Africa"

"Well, er, hmm, yes, I have paid my fine so therefore it means I cant be said to have done anything wrong."

"thats great, next question, how amazing will Rangers be when you takeover, amazing or super amazing."

"wait you have no follow up to my previous answer,"

"nope"

"even though it explains little."

"yup"

"wow, ok, lets move quickly on then..."

King Of The Cat Cafe

Excuse my skepticism but I don't believe in ?20M gifts. Going by Murray and Kings historic dealings I assume the term gift means tax free payment. I cant believe he did not get anything out of it. I assume that 20 million got him on the board, where he got a wage, and I assume he got his expenses covered to attend board meeting and games. I also assume that the money did not come from his personal piggy bank, but one of his company.

My take is that the word 'gifted' is journalistic licence. It may well be it was used because he did not get value in return - in his eyes anyway.

My take is that the word 'gifted' is journalistic licence. It may well be it was used because he did not get value in return - in his eyes anyway.

In no way was it a gift.

I don't recall it ever being reported as a working capital injection to be written down and off year on year.

And why is he on the BDO creditors list if it was?

That's not to say that some smart accountant hasn't advised him how to use this (wasted) investment as a lever to offset against other liabilities.

Edited by DETTY29

Hagar the Horrible

So if the institutional investors and some significant others, play a double bluff and vote the other way King will have just been humiliated in front of the whole world and The Scottish Lame Stream Media have just backed the wrong horse....ooooft.

But if King does get over the line, he will now have to pay for the EGM, Pay-off MA's men, Pay off Fatso salary and McDonoughts as well, REpay the first loan, cancel the second one, and still find ?millions to see them reach the end of the season. This farce still has miles to run yet?

Hagar the Horrible

It was not a gift it was an interest free LOAN! did he not get back about ?18m and is still due the rest?

This is what it will be like in the heads of the orcs, this tune, only for drought to set in

I have often wondered why Dave King didn't snap them up for sweeties when the club was liquidated. He could have got them for much, much less than it will possibly cost him just now. Buying them at that time of course would have meant spending his own money initially. With Ashley triggering the second part of the loan, it looks very much like he's going to have to step up to the mark with 10 million to get rid of Ashley's hold over the car park, Edmiston House, and Murray Park. Going to be interesting to see what happens next.

Edited by Deevers

So if the institutional investors and some significant others, play a double bluff and vote the other way King will have just been humiliated in front of the whole world and The Scottish Lame Stream Media have just backed the wrong horse....ooooft.

But if King does get over the line, he will now have to pay for the EGM, Pay-off MA's men, Pay off Fatso salary and McDonoughts as well, REpay the first loan, cancel the second one, and still find ?millions to see them reach the end of the season. This farce still has miles to run yet?

And even after all that SD, will still control Retail, of course if King wants to buy out that contract and take it that back, that'll be a build it from scratch investment as all the logistics, supply chain, stores etc. have gone.

I have often wondered why Dave King didn't snap them up for sweeties when the club was liquidated. He could have got them more much, much less than it will possibly cost him just now. Buying them at that time of course would have meant spending his own money initially. With Ashley triggering the second part of the loan, it looks very much like he's going to have to step up to the mark with 10 million to get rid of Ashley's hold over the car park, Edmiston House, and Murray Park. Going to be interesting to see what happens next.

I wonder if way back, that was indeed his intention, he wanted the CVA to fail (he campaigned against it) so that the Blue Knights (Murray and his mates) could ride to the rescue but they were blind sided by Charlie-boys stitch up with D&P.

I have often wondered why Dave King didn't snap them up for sweeties when the club was liquidated. He could have got them for much, much less than it will possibly cost him just now. Buying them at that time of course would have meant spending his own money initially. With Ashley triggering the second part of the loan, it looks very much like he's going to have to step up to the mark with 10 million to get rid of Ashley's hold over the car park, Edmiston House, and Murray Park. Going to be interesting to see what happens next.

Because King wasn't in the loop when Craig 'The Patsy' Whyte was introduced as a potential buyer.

Geoff Kilpatrick

This isnt a wishful thinking post - but it is dependant upon what Mike Ashley really wants, and the wording behind his loan deals, and the presumption that he is now the clubs biggest creditor.

Administration - as we know the biggest creditor essentially controls how the process of administration is resolved. If it isnt then liquidation awaits.

Isnt that Mike Ashley's absolutely biggest lever here?

He would be a secured creditor so he would obtain ownership of the assets put up as collateral. He would not control the process.

He couldn't,as he was going through his court case in South Africa or just about to. And he couldn't predict the outcome.

Footballfirst

King is still seeking to get his ?20M back as a creditor of the Oldco.

Assuming his claim is valid he is in line to receive as least ?3M from the creditors pot.

I wonder if way back, that was indeed his intention, he wanted the CVA to fail (he campaigned against it) so that the Blue Knights (Murray and his mates) could ride to the rescue but they were blind sided by Charlie-boys stitch up with D&P.

Not related to the above, but at one point Ra Berz were ****** a hoop that Ashley was only a few months from selling NUFC and chucking his billions at them.

What is the current state of play on Ashley selling NUFC, but more importantly do you have any idea on his selling terms?  Last I heard, the sale would be no earlier than the end of 2015/2016 season.  But if Ashley also has all the NUFC retail rights sewn up too, would there be a buyer out there willing to lose out on significant ?ms income each year?

Naturally, that may impact the final price but as long as 50k Geordies turn up each week, all dressed head to toe in black and white gear and the EPL can negotiate easy TV money for clubs, if I was as ruthless as Ashley, I might just hang on for another 2, 3,5, 10 years.  Or more.

Diadora Van Basten

In my opinion King has won and Ashley lost.

Ashley will get his loans back and money and the onus will be on King to unravel the contracts in favour of Ashley.

I don't see why giving Rangers a 5 million loan will affect King as he will need to provide this amount to see out the season anyway.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

King has ?50m; ?30m; ?16m; ?8m (knicked from a poster above) to chuck at Rangers.

And even if he doesn't  then he is merely the leverage for Jim McColl, Tom Hunter and dozens of other multi millionaires to trust him with their dough.

I think the last consortium King fronted was him and the 3 bears and they had ?16m to invest immediately.  A share issue would be held with some of the loans repaid back and the remainder converted to shares.

So King does ( ;) ) have the money to repay any Ashley loans and release all security Sports direct has over the assets.

The perfect partnership.

Three words that have to always be remembered when discussing Dave King, are; glib, shameless and liar. It should also be remembered that the 3bears, although angry that Llambias said they crapped themselves, or words to that effect, when they thought their 'loan' might be accepted, didn't challenge him nor even try to deny it. They just got angry that he'd made it public. There might be money somewhere for King to use, but if there is, he's keeping it's details very secret. Of course, King's silence on the source of money might be some sort of lie by omission and he actually has millions ready to pump into the club, though I can't see the advantage that keeping it secret might give him.

Edited by AllyjamboDerbyshire

From the frying pan to the fire.

Just because the prospective new boardroom is full of "Rangers men" does not mean that they will be able to run the club any better than those that went before    them. 

King has had ample opportunity since 2012 to put his wealth where his mouth is and buy a controlling interest in the club but instead he has let the Board go cap in hand to MA.

The lying king and the 3 bears may have control of the club but I suspect they will balk at the sums needed to invest. 

In my opinion King has won and Ashley lost.

Ashley will get his loans back and money and the onus will be on King to unravel the contracts in favour of Ashley.

I don't see why giving Rangers a 5 million loan will affect King as he will need to provide this amount to see out the season anyway.

He now has to find 10 million to pay off Ashley and find money to see them to the end of the season. If he really has money, I have no doubt that he'll pay up and the recoup it from the season ticket sales in the summer. It still leaves them running short and relying on this much vaunted new shares issue to come. On top of that it still does nothing to disengage Sports Direct and their onerous contracts away from the club.

We_are_the_Hearts

With the way it has all unfolded it wouldn't surprise me if Green, Ashley and King are in on the whole thing......................Green needed Ashley, Ashley now needs King to get the fans on side and mobilised and spending money, Ashley had the funds to sort all the contracts out, everyones a winner...............

With the way it has all unfolded it wouldn't surprise me if Green, Ashley and King are in on the whole thing......................Green needed Ashley, Ashley now needs King to get the fans on side and mobilised and spending money, Ashley had the funds to sort all the contracts out, everyones a winner...............

Well we've certainly been the winners this season.

Not related to the above, but at one point Ra Berz were ****** a hoop that Ashley was only a few months from selling NUFC and chucking his billions at them.

What is the current state of play on Ashley selling NUFC, but more importantly do you have any idea on his selling terms?  Last I heard, the sale would be no earlier than the end of 2015/2016 season.  But if Ashley also has all the NUFC retail rights sewn up too, would there be a buyer out there willing to lose out on significant ?ms income each year?

Naturally, that may impact the final price but as long as 50k Geordies turn up each week, all dressed head to toe in black and white gear and the EPL can negotiate easy TV money for clubs, if I was as ruthless as Ashley, I might just hang on for another 2, 3,5, 10 years.  Or more.

Can't see him selling, he has said, or his mouthpieces have said, not before 2016/17.

In respect of the retail side of things, any money but the TV money is chickenfeed.

Personally (and I am a minority voice in this) it's frustrating being crap (relatively - but I have seen MUCH worse) BUT having resigned myself to the fact that he won't spend his own money and the club can only spend what it generates any road to getting better is going to be a long one. He doesn't seem to cream money off, yes he gets free advertising for SD but he doesn't charge interest on loans (which he hasn't had to make for a couple of years) I accept that as a quid pro quo.

Ashley's biggest problem with fans was he pissed of Keegan and many can't get over their man-love for KK and have hated Ashley ever since.

For someone who doesn't supposedly care two hoots for NUFC, other than to somehow make him cash, I can't get my head around why he attends just about every game. If I was a disinterested multi-billionaire I know I wouldn't be spending my time watching a bang average football team I supposedly don't care about.

No-one knows his motives, but billionaires play a very long game (which is an anathema to football fans) I think with NUFC, he thinks he can achieve something, but it'll be his way that it's done.

Will he sell eventually, maybe, if someone knocks his socks off with a ?300Mill or the like offer, otherwise I can see him staying.

The perfect partnership.

Re your Q - is Ashley pushing Rangers to admin?  I doubt it.  He is just making sure King isn't all bluster, pays what he says he will, while allowing Ashley to retain all profitable elements of the business.

I think that they need 70% of shareholders to agree to a share issue.  What they were proposing was to get more than half the club, and access to all the money they were to pay for shares.  ie they get half the club, and then control all the money that they just paid in.  I'm sure Francis Albert will be along to highlight what a sweetheart deal that is

If they want to put money into the club, they can simply write a cheque and have at it, especially as they now have the control over 51% of the club, what is to stop them?

HawkeyeTheGnu2.0

I've no doubt that what King made public during trading hours will be in breach of Stockmarket rules as its potentially share price sensitive.

Proper Rangers Man - the rules don't apply to then because they are the people.

Can't see him selling, he has said, or his mouthpieces have said, not before 2016/17.

In respect of the retail side of things, any money but the TV money is chickenfeed.

Personally (and I am a minority voice in this) it's frustrating being crap (relatively - but I have seen MUCH worse) BUT having resigned myself to the fact that he won't spend his own money and the club can only spend what it generates any road to getting better is going to be a long one. He doesn't seem to cream money off, yes he gets free advertising for SD but he doesn't charge interest on loans (which he hasn't had to make for a couple of years) I accept that as a quid pro quo.

Ashley's biggest problem with fans was he pissed of Keegan and many can't get over their man-love for KK and have hated Ashley ever since.

For someone who doesn't supposedly care two hoots for NUFC, other than to somehow make him cash, I can't get my head around why he attends just about every game. If I was a disinterested multi-billionaire I know I wouldn't be spending my time watching a bang average football team I supposedly don't care about.

No-one knows his motives, but billionaires play a very long game (which is an anathema to football fans) I think with NUFC, he thinks he can achieve something, but it'll be his way that it's done.

Will he sell eventually, maybe, if someone knocks his socks off with a ?300Mill or the like offer, otherwise I can see him staying.

Good post Toonpack. Totally undermines the view often put forward that Newcastle fans are deluded in their ambitions for their club. Most fans are realistic and can benchmark their current situation against past experience.

Fully agree that he will have long term objectives but he will no doubt be flexible about these. It strikes me that he either wants to progress the club in a value driven manner (Graham Carr led recruitment model) or sell at a price that he thinks is acceptable. Either way from a non Newcastle supporting perspective these make perfect sense.

As regards his involvement in Rangers I have no doubt he has a strategy in place that protects his capital investment and future Sports Direct sales related activity. Like many very successful people he may be hard to love but it is impossible not to admire him.

Seymour M Hersh

No doubt. Just incredible that they can let King swan in and take over with the history he has. Simply wouldn't be allowed at any other club.

Incredible, yes, but is it in any way shape or form a surprise that the SFA will allow it?

Good post Toonpack. Totally undermines the view often put forward that Newcastle fans are deluded in their ambitions for their club. Most fans are realistic and can benchmark their current situation against past experience.

Fully agree that he will have long term objectives but he will no doubt be flexible about these. It strikes me that he either wants to progress the club in a value driven manner (Graham Carr led recruitment model) or sell at a price that he thinks is acceptable. Either way from a non Newcastle supporting perspective these make perfect sense.

As regards his involvement in Rangers I have no doubt he has a strategy in place that protects his capital investment and future Sports Direct sales related activity. Like many very successful people he may be hard to love but it is impossible not to admire him.

Problem is that those of a certain age, brought up on "the Entertainers" do have delusions and they get all the press and make most of the noise, they can't accept Ashley won't financially dope the club, and they hate that, and him, for it.

In respect of Sevco, even if Ashley's control of R/Retail was only worth  a ?100 quid a day to him (SD), that's still profit and he won't let it go without a fight. Which is something to look forward to :)

I don't admire him or any other billionaire.

I P Knightley

He would be a secured creditor so he would obtain ownership of the assets put up as collateral. He would not control the process.

I enjoy hearing Rangers supporters trotting out that line because they're, more often than not, frothing at the mouth about the extremely unlikely scenario of Mike Ashley walking into Murray Park and using it as some kind of personal leisure centre and bar for him and his family. 

It's not how it would pan out, though. He would obtain first dibs on the proceeds of sale of those assets generated by a liquidator - if it ever came to liquidation. 

There's a very different agenda to own NUFC (or other English teams) than a club like Rangers. 

The best he can hope for from Rangers is fan-generated income: ticket sales & merchandise, with the odd bonus bumper should they sell a player to a bigger club. 

Owning an English team has the enormous carrot of the money negotiated for TV rights by an effective league administration. I know that the bulk of that money goes straight through to players, agents and managers but a guy like Ashley should be able to work it to his financial advantage. Meanwhile, we have Doncaster and Regan responsible for our TV deals!

I enjoy hearing Rangers supporters trotting out that line because they're, more often than not, frothing at the mouth about the extremely unlikely scenario of Mike Ashley walking into Murray Park and using it as some kind of personal leisure centre and bar for him and his family. 

It's not how it would pan out, though. He would obtain first dibs on the proceeds of sale of those assets generated by a liquidator - if it ever came to liquidation. 

There's a very different agenda to own NUFC (or other English teams) than a club like Rangers. 

The best he can hope for from Rangers is fan-generated income: ticket sales & merchandise, with the odd bonus bumper should they sell a player to a bigger club. 

Owning an English team has the enormous carrot of the money negotiated for TV rights by an effective league administration. I know that the bulk of that money goes straight through to players, agents and managers but a guy like Ashley should be able to work it to his financial advantage. Meanwhile, we have Doncaster and Regan responsible for our TV deals!

In terms of NUFC, last years accounts are due out and profit is forecast to be north of ?30 Mill (some think as high as ?60+ Mill) and that's before the latest (obscene) TV bonanza kicks in.

Sorry but am I losing the plot here? I thought the meeting was off but proxy votes still to count? Have I missed something?

• Maple Leaf locked this topic