The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

ToadKiller Dog

Not sure if Rangers are the big global brand they think they are , I think Celtic might be in the top 50 world clubs but not Rangers .

So the whole world (except around 18,000 Orcs and Dungcaster) can see that rangers are in the mire and the Daily Record prints a story saying that it is quite possible that a famous head coach from a huge European club who would probably be looking at around 2 million Euros plus per season salary and a big war-chest to spend on players may be on his way to ibrox?

But at the same time they received a 1 week to winding up letter from the tax-man, need share issues, emergency loans and redundancies to keep going every month!

Is that right aye?

Who reads and actually believes the Record?

It's not just champions league exposure, wether we like it or no rangers are a global brand. Like I said it's all just my theory as to why he's here. Think we all agree that it makes no sense, I am a retailer so I based my theory on the opportunity for making loads of money through exposure for his sports direct business.

On a side note do bayern and arsenal not play in sponsored stadiums in the champions league?

If that is MA plan to use Rangers for promoting his brand globally I am surprised he has ever made money if that is the best idea he can come up with.

There are far easier ways and without doubt more sucessful and cheaper to promote your brand in other countries to increase overseas sales and I am sure MA Is smart enough to know that.

Rangers product being sold globally and him getting the revenue from this possibly but not Sports Direct brand awareness.

Why wait 3/4 years to do this when you can do brand promotion in other ways in overseas countries. It doesn't make sense.

Not sure if Rangers are the big global brand they think they are , I think Celtic might be in the top 50 world clubs but not Rangers .

Agreed. Last report I read suggested Celtics worldwide support was in the region of 5-6 times the size of Rangers. Rangers just kid on they are a worldwide brand. Always have done.

whether you like this or not, it is undoubtedly true.

I'd think Celtic's non-UK shirt sales are about five times larger

Anyone thinking that ashley wants rangers in the champions league so that for 6 games a year sports direct get free advertising or exposure stop and think for a second.

He owns Newcastle, a club operating one the top half of the most widely viewed league in the world, with billions of pounds sloshing about and exposure from her to the USA and Asia for 36 games a year, there is absolutely no way rangers even in the champions league can attract that sort of exposure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I don't like linking to this source, but I think it highlights exactly the problem with people of Alastair Johnstone's ilk:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/old-firm-still-kingpins-in-spl-revamp-says-alastair-johnston-1-802851

This is from 2010, and his arrogance and deliberate attempt to undervalue and diminish the Scottish game, is at best unhelpful, and at worst extremely damaging... especially when we all now know wheat was was going on with side-contracts, EBTs and cosy arrangements between Murray and his pet bank via Masterton.

Alistair Johnstone:

Scottish football needs a strong Rangers and a strong Celtic because they are the poster boys of our game, if you will.

"It's very important to get recognition of Scottish football around the world and we need Rangers and Celtic to do that.

"I was with the president of ESPN, George Bodenheimer, who is a good friend of mine, last week and I was telling him that our TV contract rights are too skinny. He said to me, 'Well, just give us Rangers and Celtic every week'.

"He was being a little facetious but he was also being realistic."

Johnston also told the Rangers News: "I am certainly not saying that the rest of the clubs should bow down to Rangers and Celtic. But I think there is a general acknowledgement that for the general good of the league, the Old Firm need to be strong to present a good image of Scottish football."

(2010)

I hope they rot personally. :)

givememychoice

Long shot, but Rangers to become Sports Direct as a team name?

(like red bull salzburg)

I still dont expect so, but just trying out theories!

Anyone thinking that ashley wants rangers in the champions league so that for 6 games a year sports direct get free advertising or exposure stop and think for a second.

He owns Newcastle, a club operating one the top half of the most widely viewed league in the world, with billions of pounds sloshing about and exposure from her to the USA and Asia for 36 games a year, there is absolutely no way rangers even in the champions league can attract that sort of exposure.

Only if they reach the group stages.  Could quite possibly go out after only 2 qualifying games.

Only if they reach the group stages. Could quite possibly go out after only 2 qualifying games.

Exactly, seems kind of pointless considering the absolute coverage the EPL has

AllyjamboDerbyshire

I don't like linking to this source, but I think it highlights exactly the problem with people of Alastair Johnstone's ilk:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/old-firm-still-kingpins-in-spl-revamp-says-alastair-johnston-1-802851

This is from 2010, and his arrogance and deliberate attempt to undervalue and diminish the Scottish game, is at best unhelpful, and at worst extremely damaging... especially when we all now know wheat was was going on with side-contracts, EBTs and cosy arrangements between Murray and his pet bank via Masterton.

Alistair Johnstone:

Scottish football needs a strong Rangers and a strong Celtic because they are the poster boys of our game, if you will.

"It's very important to get recognition of Scottish football around the world and we need Rangers and Celtic to do that.

"I was with the president of ESPN, George Bodenheimer, who is a good friend of mine, last week and I was telling him that our TV contract rights are too skinny. He said to me, 'Well, just give us Rangers and Celtic every week'.

"He was being a little facetious but he was also being realistic."

Johnston also told the Rangers News: "I am certainly not saying that the rest of the clubs should bow down to Rangers and Celtic. But I think there is a general acknowledgement that for the general good of the league, the Old Firm need to be strong to present a good image of Scottish football."

(2010)

I hope they rot personally. :)

'I hope they rot personally.'

Does that mean you're hoping their personal bits drop off? Could you just imagine the high pitched singing from their song book if that happened?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

'I hope they rot personally.'

Does that mean you're hoping their personal bits drop off? Could you just imagine the high pitched singing from their song book if that happened?

Shit, aye, why not. Hope they do. :lol:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Just to reiterate a couple of points from above - no serious person believes Ashley's involvement is for CL exposure. That's just MSM wishful thinking and denial. Also, Rangers are nowhere near a global brand. They're miles behind Celtic in terms of worldwide awareness.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Just to reiterate a couple of points from above - no serious person believes Ashley's involvement is for CL exposure. That's just MSM wishful thinking and denial. Also, Rangers are nowhere near a global brand. They're miles behind Celtic in terms of worldwide awareness.

:spoton:

The "no one likes us, we don't care" approach was never going to out-compete the plastic-freedom fighter romantic victim technique.

I find both clubs contemptible, but there is absolutely no denying which of them won the PR battle. :lol:

Edited by "Charlie"

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

:spoton:

The "no one likes us, we don't care" approach was never going to out-compete the plastic-freedom fighter romantic victim technique.

I find both clubs contemptible, but there is absolutely no denying which of them won the PR battle. :lol:

:lol:

One way of looking at it.

It's a Pandora's Box and nothing to do with this thread really but I've never had a problem with Celtic's Oirishness. It's a true reflection of their roots and makes sense in uniting their support and growing their business. It's the nauseating victim stuff and deplorable IRA stuff that gets my goat. But yeah, Rangers' identify just seems to be "eh, we pure hate that lot". Not a surprise it's not as appealing. :)

Don't think I had seen this posted earlier. It's an article from the Guardian about Pardew leaving Newcastle and there are some comments in it about Ashley and why he has Newcastle. Similar to a lot of thoughts on here.

The real sense of ennui here is simply the boredom of diminished possibilities. This is a club who have existed in a state of gloriously thwarted ambition for the last 60 years but who are now in the grip of a business model designed not with glory or even particularly entertainment in mind. Ashley?s sights remain set on staying in the top 10, selling profitably and sitting on the club like a London property tycoon watching the TV rights market rise around him, all the while providing a global billboard for the world?s most bizarrely overexposed cut-price tracksuit shop.

Full article:  http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/dec/30/alan-pardew-noisy-distraction-newcastle-real-issues-mike-ashley?CMP=share_btn_tw

Guest Bilel Mohsni

:lol:

One way of looking at it.

It's a Pandora's Box and nothing to do with this thread really but I've never had a problem with Celtic's Oirishness. It's a true reflection of their roots and makes sense in uniting their support and growing their business. It's the nauseating victim stuff and deplorable IRA stuff that gets my goat. But yeah, Rangers' identify just seems to be "eh, we pure hate that lot". Not a surprise it's not as appealing. :)

My Granny was half Irish, and I've got tons of friends and colleagues from Ireland, none of them indulged in all the pish Celtic Celtic wrap themselves in.

Both sets of supporters are more often than not deranged scaffs. Celtic however have managed to manufacture some kind of weird illusion about being all about defending the weak and downtrodden to explain their neddish behaviour... Rangers just openly admit to being intolerant arseholes most of the time. :rofl:

My Granny was half Irish, and I've got tons of friends and colleagues from Ireland, none of them indulged in all the pish Celtic Celtic wrap themselves in.

Both sets of supporters are more often than not deranged scaffs. Celtic however have managed to manufacture some kind of weird illusion about being all about defending the weak and downtrodden to explain their neddish behaviour... Rangers just openly admit to being intolerant arseholes most of the time. :rofl:

Many of then couldn't spell intollerant!

Ashley was mad to go for Rangers apart from the merchandising side. 

He can never get to 'own' the company under the current, I say current, setup.    

King and the bears wont buy the club withiut the merchandising... but perhaps they can all do a deal.   

Ashley was mad to go for Rangers apart from the merchandising side. 

He can never get to 'own' the company under the current, I say current, setup.    

King and the bears wont buy the club withiut the merchandising... but perhaps they can all do a deal.   

You don't need to own something to control it, especially if you only want to control certain parts of it.

Richard Wilson tonight:-

'Impetus is now with the 3 bears and King'

Chris McLaughlin (along the lines of)

'I checked with a close Mike Ashley associate tonight and put it to him that things are slipping from Ashley towards other camps and the response was that this isn't the way they see it'

Rangers need money next week.  As things stand, Ashley has to be the most likely person in a position to give it.  Surely?

Edited by DETTY29

Is it just me that finds the reference to Park and the other 2 as 'the 3 bears' totally cringeworthy?

Malinga the Swinga

Richard Wilson tonight:-

'Impetus is now with the 3 bears and King'

Chris McLaughlin (along the lines of)

'I checked with a close Mike Ashley associate tonight and put it to him that things are slipping from Ashley towards other camps and the response was that this isn't the way they see it'

Rangers need money next week.  As things stand, Ashley has to be the most likely person in a position to give it.  Surely?

Richard Wilson is the mouthpiece of King and co and has been for months. He says nothing without it being given the okay from Dave. The man remains convinced that all that stands between Rangers and its deserved place at the top of the table is the unfairness of everyone, including the SFA/SPFL, picking on Rangers.

He is no more than a fan allowed to spout his views on National radio.

Oh the irony  :toff:

*intolerant.

GOTCHA!!!

Edited by colinmaroon

You don't need to own something to control it, especially if you only want to control certain parts of it.

Our very own Vladimir Romanov was the expert in that.

Correct I live in Dublin and the day after they knocked us out of the cup not one mention of it within my work or in any of the papers. The use the ireland thing to disguise the fact that they are bigots plain and simple bigotry.

netherleejambo

Is it just me that finds the reference to Park and the other 2 as 'the 3 bears' totally cringeworthy?

No - it fits in with the pantomime that is Rangers - and of course Goldilocks aka Craig Whyte

132goals1958

Totally  agree --- colloquialism  at its very worst.

Celtic are a global brand like Irish Pubs selling Guinness and craic in every major city in the world.

There is no global branding for anti-Catholicism Sectarianism except in ever reducing backwaters of central Scotland and Nothern Ireland.

Edited by Tasavallan

Charlie-Brown

Present troubles aside,

Sevco still have the fan base to provide its manager with a player budget to challenge its bum cheek partner for 1st / 2nd place every season.  The rest of the clubs in the premiership outside of the bigot brothers can maybe challenge on an odd year but not compete on an annual basis as decent players will still migrate to where the salaries are higher. .

What the Board of Sevco needs to achieve is for the club to live fairly within its means. Even a Sevco Light should be good enough to challenge given the right management structure.

Correct except for almost thirty years now it has been an alien concept to their ideology and sense of themselves, their entitlement.

Even though Ashley probably pays thrupence to make a shirt to sell for ?50, I don't see the numbers stacking up to make mega bucks. A profit? Yes, but for a man who's company throws out 1/4 of a billion in profit each year, a pittance in comparison. So far, all his costs are covered by the assets of the car park and the office should they go t1ts up so if they do go, he loses nothing. If they survive he will still make buttons for the next 5 years in comparison to what he could be making by spending his time and effort elsewhere. I reckon he is like a cat playing with a mouse; not because he has to, but purely for enjoyment. If so, I share his enjoyment!

Footballfirst

Even though Ashley probably pays thrupence to make a shirt to sell for ?50, I don't see the numbers stacking up to make mega bucks. A profit? Yes, but for a man who's company throws out 1/4 of a billion in profit each year, a pittance in comparison. So far, all his costs are covered by the assets of the car park and the office should they go t1ts up so if they do go, he loses nothing. If they survive he will still make buttons for the next 5 years in comparison to what he could be making by spending his time and effort elsewhere. I reckon he is like a cat playing with a mouse; not because he has to, but purely for enjoyment. If so, I share his enjoyment!

Don't get the idea that Rangers is  flagship for his business. He is an opportunist businessman who sees scope for turning ?1M into ?2M or ?5M into ?10M.  That's the way he has built his fortune, buying up distress businesses and brands and turning them into profitable enterprises.  Rangers is no different.  If he doesn't see a profit to be made then he will get out sharpish. Just see what happened to the USC warehouse at Dundonald today.

Don't get the idea that Rangers is  flagship for his business. He is an opportunist businessman who sees scope for turning ?1M into ?2M or ?5M into ?10M.  That's the way he has built his fortune, buying up distress businesses and brands and turning them into profitable enterprises.  Rangers is no different.  If he doesn't see a profit to be made then he will get out sharpish. Just see what happened to the USC warehouse at Dundonald today.

FF, in no way I am saying that der hun are a flagship, and no way will they ever be. Yes, profitable, but he could probably get a better return for his money and time elsewhere. To my mind, enjoyment can be his only driver.

The only flagship they will ever be is a flagship to bigotry and hatred.

FF, in no way I am saying that der hun are a flagship, and no way will they ever be. Yes, profitable, but he could probably get a better return for his money and time elsewhere. To my mind, enjoyment can be his only driver.

The only flagship they will ever be is a flagship to bigotry and hatred.

Do you think so ? Serious question.

For peanuts he's got Sevco merchandising and massive publicity.

He's got power and effective control of  a massive football club too.

And all this for a relatively small share purchase.

He's a minority shareholder in the scheme of things and he's in control of the destiny of the club.

I'd say that's time and money well spent.

Charlie-Brown

I don't think Ashley wants to own Rangers even his plan the SFA knocked back only involved him getting to a maximum 30% shareholding. I predict his interest is the commercial revenue streams and everything he has done this far is consistent with that belief, that is Ashley's core business. I believe he put Lambias and the finance director in place to control the boardroom and control the club and any takeover process until such time as he has tied up the commercial interests.

That aside Rangers being a basket case club always tending towards insolvency isn't in his interest he cannot profit if the club is constantly self harming spending way in excess of it income verging on bankruptcy repeatedly.

Ashley at Newcastle stabilised finances, stopped continous loss making and run a tight ship financially. A dead Rangers isn't profitable to him but neither is a profligate one so for me Ashley will tie up the commercial income and try to see that financially at least Rangers are run profitably as he has with Newcastle.

The problem for the likes of King, the three bears, Davie Robertson, Keith Jackson, Richard Wilson is that they are fans first and foremost and their motivations are emotional fuelled by a desire to see Rangers back where they believe they belong except for thirty years that required almost continual losses only made good by massive amounts of new money (other peoples) being pumped in via loans, new equity or champions league......unless they can find an endless supply of suckers to throw money at their vanity project that way of operating has gone or will see them in risk of future insolvencies in short time. They burned thru tens of millions in the lower leagues incredibly how much more would they need in the top league?

So, if that's the case.......

Rangers in crisis: 10,000 fans sign up in one day to Facebook campaign vowing to boycott matches and merchandise

....how can Doncaster accept Llambias' "personal guarantee" that they'll survive the season? 

King Of The Cat Cafe

Correct I live in Dublin and the day after they knocked us out of the cup not one mention of it within my work or in any of the papers. The use the ireland thing to disguise the fact that they are bigots plain and simple bigotry.

The thing is that the Rangers and Celtic are grand for newspaper, TV and radio coverage in Northern Ireland. It is almost a given that my local radio station will have the results of their midweek matches on the morning news bulletins. Recently the Belfast News Letter (that is the prod paper) had Rangers troubles as their entire back page. The Irish News (that is the non-prod paper) will feature Celtic matches and issues prominently.

There is an enormous appetite for the Old Firm in Northern Ireland (I will bow to Rents for his view of the Republic) - and it is an intolerant sectarian thing pure and simple.

Ron Burgundy
The thing is that the Rangers and Celtic are grand for newspaper, TV and radio coverage in Northern Ireland. It is almost a given that my local radio station will have the results of their midweek matches on the morning news bulletins. Recently the Belfast News Letter (that is the prod paper) had Rangers troubles as their entire back page. The Irish News (that is the non-prod paper) will feature Celtic matches and issues prominently.

There is an enormous appetite for the Old Firm in Northern Ireland (I will bow to Rents for his view of the Republic) - and it is an intolerant sectarian thing pure and simple.[/

If Dongcaster had stated that the Huns were indeed a new club then there is no Old Firm. All they want and feel they need is an Old Firm duopoly. Imagine trying to find a new sponsor or negotiate TV deals after admitting that the old firm no longer existed.

KOTCC That is why I hope they die a long slow lingering death and never be reborn. And drag the other sister with them.

King Of The Cat Cafe

What is the population of Northern Ireland?

1.84 million odd. Some of them very odd.

• Maple Leaf locked this topic