The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

Ibrahim Tall

Genuine question - as I've seen this peddled a number of times.

How will he make money from this? Only official sponsors of the champions league can be advertised at champions league games, all other sponsorship has to be taken down/covered up.

Also - let's say they do make it up. They will need about 20/30 million to finish above celtic - who got hammered twice by average teams and therefore didn't make the group stages - no one in America will watch Rangers vs Bate Borisov in a qualifier will they? Even then my first point still stands.

it would be cheaper for Ashley to sponsor the champions league.

Shirt sponsorship would work, in terms of the stadium name etc you're correct though.

The money to be made from the CL is selling merchandise to Rangers fans not through making SD a global brand through restricted CL advertising.

For Rangers to make a CL impact they need a lot more money.

Maybe Mike will renegotiate the Rangers Retail deals and margins he makes so more money is invested in to the club.

Edited by DETTY29

Dalstonjambo

Shirt sponsorship would work, in terms of the stadium name etc you're correct though.

Ok - but again - what would get him more exposure and value for money? Sponsoring a premiership team (where global exposure is a lot higher than champions league playoffs) or Rangers shirts on the off chance they make the group stages and all the costs associated?

Or failing that - sponsor a team like benfica - they are pretty much guaranteed every year and would cost less to sponsor for 5 years than the costs of getting rangers back there.

I think too many of our fans are falling for the head in the clouds dreams of the succulent lamb media. 

Re Llambias and his personal guarantees , these types have history in hoping for the best and waiting until the last minute. Examples are ourselves and recently City Link, City Link pulled the pin on Christmas Day with no warning to the emoployed or contract staff. I would not trust any of these guys at all.

Surely even with them saying we have people willing to give us loans.

Where are they going to get the money to pay back these loans?

They have no sellable assets aside from property.

It's like the cow in Me, Myself and Irene and that bird in Austin Powers,

Why won't they just die?

I was thinking 'Weekend at Bernies' when they just drag him around everywhere even though he's dead!

Ron Burgundy

So it is basically the case of:

"Do you have enough funds to see out the season?"

"Yes"

"Ok. Thanks"

Even though thy clearly don't.

Appears so.

Ibrahim Tall

Ok - but again - what would get him more exposure and value for money? Sponsoring a premiership team (where global exposure is a lot higher than champions league playoffs) or Rangers shirts on the off chance they make the group stages and all the costs associated?

Or failing that - sponsor a team like benfica - they are pretty much guaranteed every year and would cost less to sponsor for 5 years than the costs of getting rangers back there.

I think too many of our fans are falling for the head in the clouds dreams of the succulent lamb media.

I'm not disagreeing with you, honestly don't see how the CL will benefit sports direct at all apart from possibly increased sales of Rangers shirts.

Was just stating shirt sponsorship would be possible.

One of the key problems in sponsoring them would also be it does little for SD in terms of brand awareness which is surely the point? The UK as a market is already basically saturated for them, everyone already knows about so it's hardly going to attract them new customers and may even lose some(Celtic fan). And in terms of foreigners no one really gives a shit about Rangers anymore, they've no DeBoers/Laudrups/Arveladzes etc and their style of play is painful so there's unlikely to be many neutral viewers. For a purely advertising point of view it would make more sense to sponsor a side from a country SD plan to expand to.

Ashley clearly has some plan in mind though or he'd never have got involved.

My son's a Jambo

Problem is that it is really difficult to make sense of Ashley's decision in any other way.

It is possible that he is just so smart that he has a money making strategy none of us can comprehend.

My own theory, for what it's worth, has two parts:-

- firstly, the offer from Charlie Green was just too good to refuse. From then on, he has been making it up as he goes along. There may be no strategy.

- secondly, he spends far, far less time thinking about Sevco than he does what he is having for lunch. This is really the small change at the edge of his business empire, and I doubt he is much bothered one way or the other.

Ibrahim Tall

- secondly, he spends far, far less time thinking about Sevco than he does what he is having for lunch. This is really the small change at the edge of his business empire, and I doubt he is much bothered one way or the other.

Would agree it's by no means a priority but if it were completely irrelevant to him i don't think he'd have got Llambias and the other guy from SD involved also.

Problem is that it is really difficult to make sense of Ashley's decision in any other way.

It is possible that he is just so smart that he has a money making strategy none of us can comprehend.

My own theory, for what it's worth, has two parts:-

- firstly, the offer from Charlie Green was just too good to refuse. From then on, he has been making it up as he goes along. There may be no strategy.

- secondly, he spends far, far less time thinking about Sevco than he does what he is having for lunch. This is really the small change at the edge of his business empire, and I doubt he is much bothered one way or the other.

I think you're spot on, specially the second part.

He's many many bigger fish to fry, and accounts to watch, cash to count etc ...

In fact, I'd go further and say the complications he's now facing will be more an irritation than anything else - however, he seems well known for liking to get his own way.

Edited by jambovambo

This champyuns leege moonbeam is absolute pump IMO.

Not just I-your-O but I-Everyone's-O, except for deluded orcs.

tartofmidlothian

Sevco goes bust , Celtic are losing ?10 million a season as Sevco not in the top league (says Lawell) and Scottish football goes back 60 years as didy clubs compete for trophies, regularly. I find it quite appealing.

Can't wait. Bring it on.

chuck berrys hairline

f14c42fa372247915663135ae89ed779.jpg

What would they pay him with though?.

Shares surely, that's how the whole business model operates.

Living hand to mouth, day to day, and yet their media mouthpiece manages to keep a straight face and run this story?

The_razors_edge

Living hand to mouth, day to day, and yet their media mouthpiece manages to keep a straight face and run this story?

Just txt my mate who keeps in touch with IC and he says it's not happening. More guff from the MSM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalstonjambo

I'm not disagreeing with you, honestly don't see how the CL will benefit sports direct at all apart from possibly increased sales of Rangers shirts.

Was just stating shirt sponsorship would be possible.

One of the key problems in sponsoring them would also be it does little for SD in terms of brand awareness which is surely the point? The UK as a market is already basically saturated for them, everyone already knows about so it's hardly going to attract them new customers and may even lose some(Celtic fan). And in terms of foreigners no one really gives a shit about Rangers anymore, they've no DeBoers/Laudrups/Arveladzes etc and their style of play is painful so there's unlikely to be many neutral viewers. For a purely advertising point of view it would make more sense to sponsor a side from a country SD plan to expand to.

Ashley clearly has some plan in mind though or he'd never have got involved.

Yeah that's where we are in agreement. I think my issue is more that our press are still peddling this rubbish when it clearly isn't true.

alwaysthereinspirit

10892010_10205581032835566_3030155197563

Thats the long winded version.

The real conversation would be more along these lines.

"How goes it"

"pretty good"

"yeah thats what I figured. See ya around"

Shirt sponsorship, games at the sports direct arena, training coverage from the sports direct training park..........yes you can't have match day sponsors etc but the exposure is potentially huge. It's the only reason I see MA being interested.

the jambo poet

Shirt sponsorship, games at the sports direct arena, training coverage from the sports direct training park..........yes you can't have match day sponsors etc but the exposure is potentially huge. It's the only reason I see MA being interested.

that's a good point but do you think the yanks would want to watch the manager's bare arse getting pelted with balls ?

Footballfirst

The Liquidation alternative from a regular poster on TSFM

IMO The name of the game is simple

Keep lending in dribs and drabs with ever more onerous conditions. Eventually the lender is such a big Creditor he can orchestrate a Prepack Liquidation of RIFC that gets him all the assets in a Newco with 100% ownership. The rest of the shareholders get stuffed. The onerous contracts get rewritten in his favour for the foreseeable future thereafter; austerity is the name of the game. When the original debt is ?repaid? (meaning ?repaid plus onerous contracts ?) there is some relaxation of austerity but not so much that the business is running at a loss. Useless players from NUFC are loaned to TRFC to optimise the accounting needs of both NUFC and TRFC

If any genuine Bears offer to lend money for working capital it will be accepted providing there are no conditions that can prevent the game plan

Without an immediate liquidation of RIFC the 4Bs are doomed to lose their investment

Since
Ashley controls the appointment of new RIFC Directors and can`t be outvoted on a simple majority decision
Ashley controls whether any loan offered by the 4Bs will be approved by the Board
Sarver is Ashley?s man using Ashley?s money to do Ashley?s bidding.
Probably in exchanges for some quid pro quo related to Sports Direct International

So
If Ashley or Sarver make the next loan the 4Bs and the Onerous Spivs are doomed to lose out completely.
They ought to be getting together to make a deal that instructs the Easdales to switch sides and vote for an immediate Liquidation of RIFC

If not
Only the SFA or the TRFC Fans can stop Ashley and Sarver implementing their game plan
The SFA could suspend the license and force Liquidation of RIFC and TRFC. Any Newco which applied for the license would have to be owned by a group acceptable to the SFA

Alternatively (but unlikely)
The ordinary TRFC Fans could unite around their preferred Newco to force liquidation of TRFC through a lengthy and unprecedented boycott of Ibrox

...a bit disco

Just txt my mate who keeps in touch with IC and he says it's not happening. More guff from the MSM

Not a surprise but nice to hear.

Cheers TRE.

that's a good point but do you think the yanks would want to watch the manager's bare arse getting pelted with balls ?

Haha would anyone?

10892010_10205581032835566_3030155197563

Doncaster won't be asking any questions that the Directors need to ask themselves every day to ensure they aren't trading insolvently. If they can't pay bills as they fall due then they must cease trading as we know. They will have cashflow forecasts for the rest of the season and beyond, and know what the gap is. They will have "reasonable" expectations that this gap can be filled with new investment. If they don't, they'll have to stop trading or go to jail, directly to jail, do not collect ?200. So, all that will happen today is they will tell Doncaster this. 

Agreed however as another poster mentioned, pretty much everybody in the UK knows who Sports Direct are, so what's the point in spending vast sums to promote a brand which everybody knows about already.

It is clear from this piece from Sports Direct that it is Europe that they want to get into and probably in a big way, but again as others have pointed out, Ashley would be quicker and probably cheaper if he just sponsored a decent club on the European mainland who is pretty much in European compititions year in year out.

I for one am not convinced that he wants to use Rangers as an advertising vehicle for Sports Direct, that may play a part but I don't think it's the main reason as there are simpler ways to advertise your business.

"Currently we operate c. 420 sports stores in the UK alone, the majority of which trade under the SPORTSDIRECT.com fascia. The Premium Lifestyle division operates c. 130 stores in the UK, under fascia?s which include Flannels, Cruise, USC and Van Mildert. Internationally our growth has proven unrelenting, with our products being offered via wholly-owned retail outlets, joint ventures with other retailers and stores in other retailer?s stores. We currently operate c. 270 stores in 19 European countries, and our strategy is to expand into all major EEA countries over the next 3 - 5 years."

We_are_the_Hearts

Agreed however as another poster mentioned, pretty much everybody in the UK knows who Sports Direct are, so what's the point in spending vast sums to promote a brand which everybody knows about already.

It is clear from this piece from Sports Direct that it is Europe that they want to get into and probably in a big way, but again as others have pointed out, Ashley would be quicker and probably cheaper if he just sponsored a decent club on the European mainland who is pretty much in European compititions year in year out.

I for one am not convinced that he wants to use Rangers as an advertising vehicle for Sports Direct, that may play a part but I don't think it's the main reason as there are simpler ways to advertise your business.

"Currently we operate c. 420 sports stores in the UK alone, the majority of which trade under the SPORTSDIRECT.com fascia. The Premium Lifestyle division operates c. 130 stores in the UK, under fascia?s which include Flannels, Cruise, USC and Van Mildert. Internationally our growth has proven unrelenting, with our products being offered via wholly-owned retail outlets, joint ventures with other retailers and stores in other retailer?s stores. We currently operate c. 270 stores in 19 European countries, and our strategy is to expand into all major EEA countries over the next 3 - 5 years."

Also in the process of being connected to Sevco he has alienated a lot of potential customers in Scotland......................

have said this previously and its still what I believe.

Ashley likes a challenge and that is what he see's Rangers as a challenge. He can also make money along the way then even better.

IMHO obviously I base this on his desperation to get into Ibrox he is used to getting what he wants.

Livingston had to pay a bond of ?720,000 to prove that they could complete the season.

They were requested to provide a bond by the SFL for a place in Div 1.   McDougall refused to provide it, so Livi were relegated to SFL Div 3. 

If the SPFL are so worried about teams being unable to pay their way then it should be a mandatory requirement for all teams to provide a bond at the start of each season.  The value of the bond would be dependent on which league it was for.  Never going to happen as the 42 clubs would vote against it.

Thats the long winded version.

The real conversation would be more along these lines.

"How goes it"

"pretty good"

"yeah thats what I figured. See ya around"

I thought it would be:

"Are you going bust?"

"No" under his breath "not today"

I'm still amazed that Celtic fans groups aren't calling for a boycott of Sports Direct.

That might make MA reconsider

I'm still amazed that Celtic fans groups aren't calling for a boycott of Sports Direct.

Sports Direct do not do charity shops.

Quite funny, as this is exactly what needs to happen if they're going to sort out this whole car-crash!

Also in the process of being connected to Sevco he has alienated a lot of potential customers in Scotland......................

have said this previously and its still what I believe.

Ashley likes a challenge and that is what he see's Rangers as a challenge. He can also make money along the way then even better.

IMHO obviously I base this on his desperation to get into Ibrox he is used to getting what he wants.

The more this goes on and the more that comes out about all of this, the more I don't believe Ashley wants Rangers as a advertising vehicle for Sports Direct.

There is something else at play here, now maybe it's just as simple as playing a game to Ashley, a bit of amusement for him, we all know money doesn't mean much to him as he's got so much, but as Rents says maybe it's a challenge and if he can make a ? or 2 for Sports Direct then that's the Brucie bonus.

Time will tell I suppose, but in the meantime Ashley has the whole of Scotland and the North of England trying to guess his next move, which Ashley might well not know himself.

MA is a very clever man, he can see the potential to, not only sell rangers tops, but sports direct owned brands ie Lonsdale etc. if they can get back to 52000 inside ibrox all things rosey he has huge potential to make mega bucks. They make the champions league, I agree that this current rangers side are light years away from this, sports direct can sell mugs, tees badges and whistles to the many unwashed who won't buy a ticket for the game. He has a closed market and, imo, sees the opportunity to bleed that market dry. He spends a few million this year, and last year, to keep them a float to see if they make it up. If they do, jobs a goodin he loans them money, large amounts, for all naming rights, branding and marketing etc, makes a fortune. They don't go up, sells his shares to the highest bidder, some of whom are now trying to kick the door down to be a part of it, walks away no harm done. MA is a smart man and I see no intention from him to try save rangers and their ways and traditions. IMO he sees pound signs and pound signs only.

Sad as it is, these morons actually need each other, when one suffers so does the other. How wonderful :)

People forget that Rangers couldnt make the Champions League previously without spending way more money than they bring in. Despite continual league wins they were continually loss making.

There is nothing to suggest that they will be able to do that now without the same cash drain. There is nothing to suggest that MA will gift income to Rangers to facilitate a rise again to those levels.

Dalstonjambo

Except uefa don't allow you to call the grounds by the sponsor's name in the champions league do they? 

So they'd call it ibrox.

Also - 'training coverage from the sports direct training park'   -what would that gain except from sky sports news saying that 4 times a day in the lead up to the game?

I repeat if his aim is exposure to the champions league - just sponsor a team in it for 5 seasons. This will get him the same exposure as he will get from rebuilding rangers at a much cheaper cost. And as other posters have said - UK is a pretty saturated market for sports direct, if he wants to expand abroad, sponsor a team from abroad - not a team that will (most likely) lose in the qualifying rounds if they even make it. 

Edited by Dalstonjambo

People forget that Rangers couldnt make the Champions League previously without spending way more money than they bring in. Despite continual league wins they were continually loss making.

There is nothing to suggest that they will be able to do that now without the same cash drain. There is nothing to suggest that MA will gift income to Rangers to facilitate a rise again to those levels.

Present troubles aside,

Sevco still have the fan base to provide its manager with a player budget to challenge its bum cheek partner for 1st / 2nd place every season.  The rest of the clubs in the premiership outside of the bigot brothers can maybe challenge on an odd year but not compete on an annual basis as decent players will still migrate to where the salaries are higher. .

What the Board of Sevco needs to achieve is for the club to live fairly within its means. Even a Sevco Light should be good enough to challenge given the right management structure. 

Balls banging off OUR manager's bare arse...?

Be honest guys, we've all considered it.

The Old Tolbooth

Where else would the scaffs shop? :unsure: 

tartofmidlothian

Interesting that one of Oldham's minor sponsors has pulled out over the Evans saga. Wonder if Ashley will feel any more inclined to do the same?

Mecca Bingo also pulling out if he signs.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/07/ched-evans-signing-oldham-sponsor-cuts-ties-verlin-rainwater

Edited by tartofmidlothian

I still do not believe that MA's involvement with Sevco has anything at all to do with Europe.  It is just a shark seeing an opportunity to make money.

If he wanted European exposure for his SD brand then it would cost him less just to sponsor a European based club in the CL, determined by which country he wants to focus on first.  Let say he targets the Netherlands and opens SD outlets in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague.  He could sponsor Ajax, Feyenoord or ADO for less cost than he would need to pour into Sevco.

I believe MA is doing just fine from where he is without investing large sums in the club. He will let the warring factions fight it out and mop up after the fighting has ceased.  

Dalstonjambo

I still do not believe that MA's involvement with Sevco has anything at all to do with Europe.  It is just a shark seeing an opportunity to make money.

If he wanted European exposure for his SD brand then it would cost him less just to sponsor a European based club in the CL, determined by which country he wants to focus on first.  Let say he targets the Netherlands and opens SD outlets in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague.  He could sponsor Ajax, Feyenoord or ADO for less cost than he would need to pour into Sevco.

I believe MA is doing just fine from where he is without investing large sums in the club. He will let the warring factions fight it out and mop up after the fighting has ceased.  

Exactly - exactly what i've been saying. We may not be right, but this would be the most logical and financially efficient way of doing it if that was his aim.

Present troubles aside,

Sevco still have the fan base to provide its manager with a player budget to challenge its bum cheek partner for 1st / 2nd place every season.  The rest of the clubs in the premiership outside of the bigot brothers can maybe challenge on an odd year but not compete on an annual basis as decent players will still migrate to where the salaries are higher. .

What the Board of Sevco needs to achieve is for the club to live fairly within its means. Even a Sevco Light should be good enough to challenge given the right management structure. 

Spot on.

What Rangers fans and and their MSM cheerleaders can't seem to stomach is a period of rebuilding to get there; ie hard work to earn rather than buy success.

Found the following at 

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ni6epe  Particularly interesting since BBC Scotland seems to give this guy so much credence.

The battered bunnet on CQN nailed Alistair Johnston in 2012. Read and remember as the media give him unwarranted credibility

"Alastair Johnston, who had replaced Murray as Chairman of Rangers following the crash of Murray?s business empire, had a decision to make. In the summer of 2010, ?36M tax demand in hand, and an appeal against which scheduled for October, Johnston was planning the coming season?s business. He could have chosen to sell the top footballers which would have brought in around ?20M of proceeds. He could have chosen to run the club on a reduced cost model, one that was profitable on domestic football alone, thereby banking a further ?20M from their participation in the Champions League. Had he done so, and ring fenced the cash, Rangers would have been in a position to withstand losing the Tax Case Appeal without bankrupting the club.

Alastair Johnston and his Board chose not to. He chose instead to spend money increasing the size of the squad, with ?4M spent on Jelavic alone. Whatever else you hear about Rangers? sorry plight, remember that in the summer of 2010 Alastair Johnston and his Board decided to prioritise football results ahead of the very existence of the club. That was the last time that Rangers? fate was in the hands of the Club. From the moment the decision was taken not to act, Rangers? fate was sealed."

Except uefa don't allow you to call the grounds by the sponsor's name in the champions league do they?

So they'd call it ibrox.

Also - 'training coverage from the sports direct training park' -what would that gain except from sky sports news saying that 4 times a day in the lead up to the game?

I repeat if his aim is exposure to the champions league - just sponsor a team in it for 5 seasons. This will get him the same exposure as he will get from rebuilding rangers at a much cheaper cost. And as other posters have said - UK is a pretty saturated market for sports direct, if he wants to expand abroad, sponsor a team from abroad - not a team that will (most likely) lose in the qualifying rounds if they even make it.

It's not just champions league exposure, wether we like it or no rangers are a global brand. Like I said it's all just my theory as to why he's here. Think we all agree that it makes no sense, I am a retailer so I based my theory on the opportunity for making loads of money through exposure for his sports direct business.

On a side note do bayern and arsenal not play in sponsored stadiums in the champions league?

It's not just champions league exposure, wether we like it or no rangers are a global brand. Like I said it's all just my theory as to why he's here. Think we all agree that it makes no sense, I am a retailer so I based my theory on the opportunity for making loads of money through exposure for his sports direct business.

On a side note do bayern and arsenal not play in sponsored stadiums in the champions league?

On Champions League nights they play at the Arsenal Stadium and Bayern Stadium respectively.

• Maple Leaf locked this topic