Australian Open

AWM

Good to see Clijsters soundly beating Wozniacki. I just don't see how Wozniacki is number one, she must play the most tournaments. It's like when Safina was number one without actually winning a Slam. I guess they'll also have to pull that "the world's number one" tv commercial she features in :)

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Murray 3rd on tomorrow.

Sara Errani(ITA) vs. Petra Kvitova(CZE)[2]

Not Before:12:30 PM

Ekaterina Makarova(RUS) vs. Maria Sharapova(RUS)[4]

Not Before:2:30 PM

Andy Murray(GBR)[4] vs. Kei Nishikori(JPN)[24]

7:30 PM

Novak Djokovic(SRB)[1] vs. David Ferrer(ESP)[5]

I P Knightley

Not Before:2:30 PM

Andy Murray(GBR)[4] vs. Kei Nishikori(JPN)[24]

That's 03:30 UK time. Might set the alarm for 04:30 and find a stream. Not seen enough tennis this tourney.

That's 03:30 UK time. Might set the alarm for 04:30 and find a stream. Not seen enough tennis this tourney.

Same, most of the matches I've wanted to watch have been on during the night. At least from Thursday onwards they'll be on at 8:30.

i'd be careful with the timings. At the weekend they (Eurosport) said Murray wouldn't be on before 9am UK time, so i woke up at 8:55am only to find out he was already cruising in the 2nd set! Even on the BBC they've had start times wrong.

I P Knightley

i'd be careful with the timings. At the weekend they (Eurosport) said Murray wouldn't be on before 9am UK time, so i woke up at 8:55am only to find out he was already cruising in the 2nd set! Even on the BBC they've had start times wrong.

I wouldn't trust the BBC; their coverage is pretty lacklustre.

However the official Ozzie Open website has the schedule of play showing as cut & pasted by AWM. The "not before 14:30" is fixed for TV scheduling. If the bursd that are on before happen to drag out their petty squealing and grunting contest longer than expected (3 and a half hours between them), the match kicks off late. When they finish up whatever they do early, it just means the crowd in the stadium have a bit of picnic time.

Chad Sexington

Easy win but his serve will need to improve against Djokovic or he'll get creamed.

Looking good in so many other departments though. :thumbsup:

loveofthegame

Great straight forward win, but as The Imp says, his serve MUST improve to stand any chance of beating Djokovic.

Here's hoping Ferrer plays out his skin and at least makes ND work hard for the win

What a strange position Murray finds himself in.

Getting to the Semi's of a major is for most players a big achievement.

Almost every time it's an absolute doddle for Murray to get there and then the hard work starts.

The top 4 are so far ahead of the rest it's frightening.

biggest shock of the day for me was finding out Petra Kvitova is being screwed by a 16yo! I mean, she's 21 herself but 16??? In the public eye. Weird. :D

biggest shock of the day for me was finding out Petra Kvitova is being screwed by a 16yo! I mean, she's 21 herself but 16??? In the public eye. Weird. :D

In any other thread on here.. That would be some statement! But in the tennis thread, its not as 'interesting'

In any other thread on here.. That would be some statement! But in the tennis thread, its not as 'interesting'

:D

I just thought it was funny. She was being interviewed by Sam Smith courtside who said her bf was playing on one of the other courts. I thought it must have been a doubles match, so googled her bf, because she's a Wimbledon champ she must have loads of guys chasing after her, but no, this guy was playing in the BOY'S singles.

Djokovic is cruising his match. I'm kind of looking forward to the semi final. I have no dislike of Murray, I really hope he wins, but everyone has been getting excited about how he's playing yet he hasn't faced a challenge yet and the Feds, Djoko and Nadal have all pretty much breezed through also. The problem for Murray is, none of those other guys have a serve that totally crumbles.

I P Knightley

What a strange position Murray finds himself in.

Getting to the Semi's of a major is for most players a big achievement.

Almost every time it's an absolute doddle for Murray to get there and then the hard work starts.

The top 4 are so far ahead of the rest it's frightening.

Quite true. 5 semis on the trot for AM; it's difficult to see semi-finals at the Aussie or US Open being contested by any other than the big 4 for a while yet. French has the unpredictability & different characteristics of clay (though we'd all probably expect the big 4 again; Wimbledon, I think, will only depend on whether Nadal survives the clay season without more injury.)

In the public eye, you say?

Djokovic is cruising his match. I'm kind of looking forward to the semi final. I have no dislike of Murray, I really hope he wins, but everyone has been getting excited about how he's playing yet he hasn't faced a challenge yet and the Feds, Djoko and Nadal have all pretty much breezed through also. The problem for Murray is, none of those other guys have a serve that totally crumbles.

Djoko's first serve is down around 50% in this match - not as bad as Murray but not quite setting the heather alight either.

Don't disagree, though, that Murray needs to sort out his first serve. I've argued before that he should take 5% off it; he'd get a much higher percentage in. Maybe not as big a percentage of winners off first serve but a higher absolute number. He's also be able to step up his second serve by about 5%. It's currently a proper patsy; almost like a women's first serve (except a Williams) and the fact that he has to play it so much really will undo him against Djoko.

Djokovic in injury scare shocker.

The tactical thigh clutch appears to have paid off as he goes 4-1 up in the third. Added bonus that, as a 'tweak', it's in the bank ready for if Murray starts to get the better of him and he can go back to retiring hurt. The knob.

I P Knightley

Fed v Nadal has kicked off nicely. Fed broke Nadal's first service game but it's come back to 6-6 and a first set tie-break with Fed taking a lead in the TB.

My guess: If Nadal wins the TB, I expect him to win straight sets. If Fed wins, it's likely to be a longer match.

I P Knightley

Federer's first serve percentage dropping alarmingly towards Murray levels in the second set and only slightly improving in the third. Opened the door for Rafa to get the bit between his teeth and crack on with what looked like winning this match. Good recovery from Fed in 5th game of set 4 to keep serve coinciding with his serve percentage being the best yet of the match.

Really hoping that this goes on to a 5th set - I can postpone this lunch time's activities and get down to the serious business of following a deciding set.

I P Knightley

I can't believe I am missing this match.

Bummer, isn't it?

I'm relying on the SlamTracker & it seems to occasionally drift off for a sleep. If you're not on it, go here.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Bummer, isn't it?

I'm relying on the SlamTracker & it seems to occasionally drift off for a sleep. If you're not on it, go here.

I've been following the BBC updates.

I P Knightley

I've been following the BBC updates.

Very slow.

You'll learn quicker on JKB that Nadal just broke Fed and will serve for the match after this turn around.

15-0

15-15

30-15

30-30

40-30

this is for it.

107mph first serve

100mph second

Deuce

What a game! Great match with some great plays.

Mats Wilander on Eurosport is such a ******. So far up Nadal's arse.

100% agree with the above comment.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Very slow.

You'll learn quicker on JKB that Nadal just broke Fed and will serve for the match after this turn around.

15-0

15-15

30-15

30-30

40-30

this is for it.

107mph first serve

100mph second

Deuce

I can only get JKB on my phone while at work. Pain in the arse.

Prince Buaben

That was GREAT!!!!!

What time is the Murray match on tomorrow?

8.30 on BBC2

Very slow.

15-0

15-15

30-15

30-30

40-30

this is for it.

107mph first serve

100mph second

Deuce

I don't understand why the bbc sport updates are so slow. It takes seconds to update yet they're always 5 minutes behind.

I P Knightley

I don't understand why the bbc sport updates are so slow. It takes seconds to update yet they're always 5 minutes behind.

I have a hunch that the text commentators are sat in West London consuming mountainous quantities of Colombia's finest and indulging themselves in wild and wanton sexual congress. Keeping us licence fee payers up-to-date on the goings on in a major sporting event are very much down the list of priorities.

If they were dedicated to their task, they'd be able to press the "enter" button after a few short words on each point rather than wait the five minutes to (sometimes) give a bit of an idea what had happened throughout an entire game.

(Due to bad planning, I'll miss the first set this morning. Grrrr!)

mulleted_jambo

I have a hunch that the text commentators are sat in West London consuming mountainous quantities of Colombia's finest and indulging themselves in wild and wanton sexual congress. Keeping us licence fee payers up-to-date on the goings on in a major sporting event are very much down the list of priorities.

If they were dedicated to their task, they'd be able to press the "enter" button after a few short words on each point rather than wait the five minutes to (sometimes) give a bit of an idea what had happened throughout an entire game.

(Due to bad planning, I'll miss the first set this morning. Grrrr!)

Anybody know what channel it's on and if you can get it online???

I though it would be on sky but can't see it on their listings.

Anybody know what channel it's on and if you can get it online???

I though it would be on sky but can't see it on their listings.

The Murray game? Eurosport and BBC2.....it's also live on the BBC website

The Great Khali

Murray doing the usual, playing some wonderful tennis but too many wee daft mistakes, missing a volly and punting it into the sky.

Archived