Australian Open

AWM

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. He's trying some of the show stopper shots etc and some are working out but he's not quite sharp enough just yet.

He'll need to pick that up a bit quicker. Looks not too bad at all otherwise.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Win here puts him to last 16?

Yes. He'll play either Monfils or Kukushikn. Currently 2 sets each. Monfils lost the first 2 sets.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Kukushkin will play Murray or Llodra in the fourth round.

Lawson backed Monfils to give Murray trouble so it was a nap that he'd lose early.

:verysmug:

The Real Maroonblood

Surprised it is only being shown eurosport? Beeb normally cover Aussie open?

Sometimes they show it via the red button. Not this time.

They would rather waste money on crap reality shows.

They'll be showing the semis and the finals via the red button though I think....

Least I think I read that somewhere.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Are they not showing any of the tournament on the BBC?

Edit - just seen the post above.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I've now seen it written as 37 out of 38 since losing to Tsonga in 2008. Must be Monfils.

What a p1sh pointless stat

They'll be showing the semis and the finals via the red button though I think....

Least I think I read that somewhere.

They're only showing one of the semi's. Guess they'll wait and see whether Murray gets there before deciding which one they will show.

Anyone else sense a tiny bit of tension with Lendl? Comments about him being on the golf course and maybe a bit more practice time being needed. Is Lendl the Kenny Dalglish of tennis?

I P Knightley

What a p1sh pointless stat

And out of date. :)

The top players (Delpo; Nadal; Murray, Djoko, Fed & Tsonga) all playing top quality stuff so far. The QFs should throw up a couple of cracking matches.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Anyone else sense a tiny bit of tension with Lendl? Comments about him being on the golf course and maybe a bit more practice time being needed. Is Lendl the Kenny Dalglish of tennis?

Nope. Non at all.

Players will probably only practice for a couple of hours max on their days off from playing. Plenty time for Ivan to play golf.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Easy win for Federer against Tomic in straight sets. Tomic's girlfriend though.

:arry:

Federer v Del Potro in the Quarters should be a cracker!

I P Knightley

Nope. Non at all.

Players will probably only practice for a couple of hours max on their days off from playing. Plenty time for Ivan to play golf.

Agreed.

I think Murray was going for the 'humorous' angle in the interview. If he cares about such things, Ivan may want a word with Murray about his media skills as I can see why Stevie and others may read a bit into his comments but he was (rather more) clearly on a bit of a high after a hugely enjoyable match.

Hope he puts Kukushikin to the sword with minimum fuss. Next week's gonna be a stormer.

Murray is cruising his latest game. He isn't even playing that well but his opponent is totally useless. SIX service games in a row he's lost. Murray's usual weakness of his serve has even shone through twice and still he's totally comfortable.

Murray is cruising his latest game. He isn't even playing that well but his opponent is totally useless. SIX service games in a row he's lost. Murray's usual weakness of his serve has even shone through twice and still he's totally comfortable.

sorry, make that SEVEN service games. This fecker isn't even club standard! :D

Chad Sexington

Couldn't have panned out better for Murray there.

Safely through to the QF with the minimum of fuss and out of that mental heat. :thumbsup:

Arthur Morgan

More good news is that Tsonga (even though I like him) is down 2-1 in sets atm to Kei Nishikori. If indeed Nishikori goes through, Murray couldn't have wished for an easier path to the Semi's.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Tsonga out.

Nishikori looked out on his feet at the end though.

Lawson strikes again.

:greggy:

I P Knightley

Lawson strikes again.

It's maybe the Uruguayan air but Shaun's predictions on page 1 are nowhere near as bold and comprehensive as usual. Given that I tend to go with the seedings and rankings for my tips (with one or two howling exceptions), you might almost be forgiven for thinking that I had written Shaun's posts.

So, another Murray opponent retires hurt. Somewhere there must be a tennis equivalent of London Hearts which has the stats to support my claim that Murray has the highest percentage of dropping out opponents than any other player. If we were to factor in the incidence of the player himself retiring hurt (a For and Against column), it would certainly rule out Djokovic.

Murray gave Nishikori a gubbing last year in a Masters 1000 tourney. Can't imagine he's going to be held up much on his way to meeting Djokovic.

They really should ban that grunting when hitting a shot. No need for it whatsoever! Sharapova does ma head in! :ninja:

KilbrideJambo

They really should ban that grunting when hitting a shot. No need for it whatsoever! Sharapova does ma head in! :ninja:

Can't watch her with the volume on.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Djokovic was 2 sets up against Hewitt but has just lost the 3rd.

Still expect Djokovic to go on and win but at least Hewitt is making a match of it.

It's maybe the Uruguayan air but Shaun's predictions on page 1 are nowhere near as bold and comprehensive as usual. Given that I tend to go with the seedings and rankings for my tips (with one or two howling exceptions), you might almost be forgiven for thinking that I had written Shaun's posts.

So, another Murray opponent retires hurt. Somewhere there must be a tennis equivalent of London Hearts which has the stats to support my claim that Murray has the highest percentage of dropping out opponents than any other player. If we were to factor in the incidence of the player himself retiring hurt (a For and Against column), it would certainly rule out Djokovic.

Murray gave Nishikori a gubbing last year in a Masters 1000 tourney. Can't imagine he's going to be held up much on his way to meeting Djokovic.

I'd be surprised if more players have retired against Murray than have against Federer.

I P Knightley

I'd be surprised if more players have retired against Murray than have against Federer.

Sadly, it's quite easy to get the info by going through each player's history off the ATP site.

Since 2008:

Retirements when playing against Federer = 6

Retirements when playing against Murray = 14

Retirements when playing against Djokovic = 12; Retirements by Djokovic = 5

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Did anyone see the Federer and Del Potro match? If so, was it as one sided as the score suggests?

I P Knightley

Did anyone see the Federer and Del Potro match? If so, was it as one sided as the score suggests?

Unfortunately I only had teh BBC text and the live score tracker (& stats) to go on.

Looks like Delpo played alright but Fed was on an entirely different level. Not quite the match I'd been anticipating.

18Jambo_dave74

Sitting at work watching score updates on the Berdych/Nadal match - Berdych just won the first set on a tie-break.

Anyone watching the match? Nadal playing poorly or Berdych just smashing everything in the corners?

I P Knightley

Sitting at work watching score updates on the Berdych/Nadal match - Berdych just won the first set on a tie-break.

Anyone watching the match? Nadal playing poorly or Berdych just smashing everything in the corners?

I'm like you - no stream to follow.

It appears, again from the points pattern & stats, that Berdych is playing well and Nadal has been just a tiny bit rusty. Nadal's just broken in the second, though, so it could be the turnaround.

Would love to hear whether the Aussie crowd are still giving Berdych a hard time after his petulant huff against Almagro.

18Jambo_dave74

I'm like you - no stream to follow.

It appears, again from the points pattern & stats, that Berdych is playing well and Nadal has been just a tiny bit rusty. Nadal's just broken in the second, though, so it could be the turnaround.

Would love to hear whether the Aussie crowd are still giving Berdych a hard time after his petulant huff against Almagro.

Not sure why the BBC arn't showing any of the matches untill the semi final stage. Haven't been able to see any of the matches yet which is a bit frustrating.

Berdych just broken Nadal back as he was serving for the set. Massive set for Nadal as im not sure he would be able to come back from 2 sets down against Berdych.

Berdych is looking good here and has a great chance of putting Nadal out. In saying that, I still expect Nadal to win but it could go all the way to 5 sets.

There were a few boos when Berdych first came out but nothing apart from that.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

1-1. Nadal wins the tie-break.

2 1/2 hours for two sets.

This has got five setter written all over it.

Federer will be sitting watching this match with a face like this :verysmug:

Chad Sexington

Federer will be sitting watching this match with a face like this :verysmug:

That's his normal expression.

The smug **** <_<

I P Knightley

There were a few boos when Berdych first came out but nothing apart from that.

Lazy Aussies - don't have the intestinal fortitude to see their seethe-fest through to its conclusion.

The match is 3 hours old and there's no real sign of where it might go. Nadal a break up in the third but breaks seem to be coming thick and fast. This could be one to find being shown in a pub over lunch time.

I P Knightley

That's his normal expression.

The smug **** dry.gif

It must be very hard indeed to be Roger Federer and not be smug. It's probably part of the 'trying to be humble' thing that led him to marry an ornery bursd.

Archived