Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

Pardon me while I hijack this thread for personal reasons.

Any of the sheep on here (or Aberdeenshire Jambos for that matter) tell me anything about Portlethen? Got a lovely wee bowling club if that helps

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Will the HIVs have a 900,000,000 page thread on this?

Probably not, but the way this one is shaping up we might :huh2:

6 minutes ago, steven_mck said:

Could get a little bleak there in the winter.

Yeah true, but I like the beach and the ocean! ?

A lot nicer to look at than a bypass and a field. ?

I've been working out that way for about 5 weeks now.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that its a terrible idea for Aberdeen FC.

Its a terrible location.

Guest Paul Allen
9 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

All these points about snow lines are a moot point to be honest.

We've had our first flurry of snow in about 4 years and it has not impacted any of our games, home or away.

The game on Friday night went ahead, despite the weather conditions around Aberdeen and down to Stonehaven, so there was little thought for travelling fans as well.

Whilst the outside area may be exposed, the stadium plans indicate its an enclosed stadium, which will help for all you wooses that can't handle a wee dip in temperature ;)

As for the training pitches, it does not run all the way east to the AWPR

Kingsford.PNG

What is the distance from the bypass to your new stadium approximately, and how to the club propose fans get from one to the other? Looks daft to me.

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

To be fair the middle of nowhere is an improvement on the location of their current ground

Aberdeen

Have to disagree with that. The location of Pittodrie is quite interesting I think. It’s memorable. A stadium right beside the sea on the edge of the city centre, with a residential area behind. Gives it a bit of character or something. 

I think they’re completely mental to even consider this out of town thing. Madness.

7 minutes ago, redm said:

Have to disagree with that. The location of Pittodrie is quite interesting I think. It’s memorable. A stadium right beside the sea on the edge of the city centre, with a residential area behind. Gives it a bit of character or something. 

I think they’re completely mental to even consider this out of town thing. Madness.

That seaside location is no doubt what’s tempting developers.

Just makes you appreciate tynecastle all the more.  Walking down to the stadium under the lights on Tuesday night.  Smack bang in Edinburgh.  

File the Aberdeen white elephant under the flat pack diddy club category. 

Edited by Longshanks

My son,daughter in law,and my grandchildren live in Westhill .They have no interest in football.Its a great area.So it's a no from me.Not that what I think will make any difference.

scott herbertson
38 minutes ago, redm said:

I agree - I did my post grad in aberdeen in the year they first  won the league under Fergie - went to a few games when I couldnt afford to go down the road, with my aberdeen mates and quite like the old place. Mind youmy view of it was improved by watching them cuff Rangers and Celtic which was a novelty for me at that time

2 hours ago, redm said:

Agree 100%. Mental idea, and it’ll be a bit of a loss to the game having to travel to that shady bleak bypass and field as opposed to the beach.

Ive said it before a few times, and the Aberdeen fans on here all disagree, but I’m absolutely amazed that their fans are so happy with this proposal. It looks totally shit.

Suppose they probably realise themselves that at £50m this is never going to happen anyway? It’s the only explanation I can think of.

27 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Agree 100%. Mental idea, and it’ll be a bit of a loss to the game having to travel to that shady bleak bypass and field as opposed to the beach.

Ive said it before a few times, and the Aberdeen fans on here all disagree, but I’m absolutely amazed that their fans are so happy with this proposal. It looks totally shit.

Suppose they probably realise themselves that at £50m this is never going to happen anyway? It’s the only explanation I can think of.

I haven't seen a lot of realistic conversation about where 50 million pounds is actually coming from, never mind the overspend. They're mental, or maybe they just know it's not going to happen as you say

Just now, Smithee said:

I haven't seen a lot of realistic conversation about where 50 million pounds is actually coming from, never mind the overspend. They're mental, or maybe they just know it's not going to happen as you say

Thats what I suspect.

3 hours ago, redm said:

Yup bang on

On 07/10/2017 at 15:04, Paul Allen said:

Current situation = Train station > pub grub in city centre > 15 minute walk to stadium > watch match > 15 minute walk back to city centre > train home.

Proposed situation = Train station > pub grub in city centre > 30-45 minute shuttle bus to stadium > watch match > 30-45 minute shuttle bus back to city centre > train home.

:lol: **** that.

It's 1.4 miles from Pittodrie to the train station. Not a chance you manage to walk that in 15 minutes.

On 08/10/2017 at 14:46, GJamboR7 said:

And it?ll cost a tenner for getting a bus there and back. Great plan...

Where you getting £10 from?

There are currently shuttle buses that run from various areas of Aberdeen to Pittodrie. Some are as cheap as 50p and the one from Kingswells, so therefore near where the new stadium is planned, is £1.50 return.

5 hours ago, Paul Allen said:

What is the distance from the bypass to your new stadium approximately, and how to the club propose fans get from one to the other? Looks daft to me.

A couple of hundred yards from

the bypass to the stadium site. I don't understand your second question.

33 minutes ago, La_Leyenda said:

Where you getting £10 from?

There are currently shuttle buses that run from various areas of Aberdeen to Pittodrie. Some are as cheap as 50p and the one from Kingswells, so therefore near where the new stadium is planned, is £1.50 return.

It was a joke, glad to see it hit a nerve though! 

50p for a bus in Aberdeen?! Which service is that? 

£1.50 is pretty good I guess for a 30 minute drive out to the countryside to watch your side get pumped. 

7 hours ago, Ryder said:

It’s the same groups of fans on every forum and Facebook living in a bubble. The real life people who bus or walk to the pub, drink 5 pints and go to pittodrie a minute before kick off have no interest in going to westhill, where no one likes to go or be, 4 hours or an hour before kick off.

For an average crowd of 14000 it would need 3400 to park 2, 5 or 10 miles away at a P&R. Comical and not happening. Maybe 800 at the closest one if lucky and a handful at the others. 2400 on shuttle buses from town (last scoof at 1:55) going at 11mph uphill through 20 sets of lights and roundabouts. Wonder how many games it will take to get fed up of that. Folk will be pissing in bottles. 50 full buses probably drop to 20.

Supposedly 1400 on supporters club buses for a home game. They, and the fans in the bubble, think 30 buses will pop up to serve every community and bar in Aberdeen. Space cadets. That’ll drop off to 7 or 8. Some will revert to cars, parking in driveways in westhill and kingswells and getting fined. Everyone else will save 30 quid and 5 hours and watch it in their home or pub, or head to Banks o Dee, maybe even start a new club in the city.

4 hours ago, GJamboR7 said:

It was a joke, glad to see it hit a nerve though! 

50p for a bus in Aberdeen?! Which service is that? 

£1.50 is pretty good I guess for a 30 minute drive out to the countryside to watch your side get pumped. 

£1.50 to Westhill from the city centre? No profit margin there considering a standard fare is £5 odds return. Where are all these buses going to pick up the fans from the city and where will they be dropped off?

A_A wehatethehibs
10 hours ago, redm said:

Yeah it’s great apart from the city centre itself, obviously brilliant if it was Edinburgh or Glasgow city centre, rather than the miserable freezing grey shitehole that is Aberdeen

theyd probably attract bigger crowds in the middle of nowhere as there’s plenty grass 

IveSeenTheLight
18 hours ago, socrates82 said:

There's a bit of a global trend to try to keep stadiums in city centres I thought? There was some research into it, eg in the MLS - https://www.citylab.com/design/2014/11/why-the-future-of-major-league-soccer-is-downtown/382942/

I think when even the slaves to their cars like Americans realise the benefits of a city centre stadium there must be something in it. Counting on Dons fans to just continue going out of loyalty and put up with a bit more of a journey or having to drive/bus, etc is risky, especially when they're a bit of a fickle support attendance-wise at the best of times. And as the link above shows, if you want the younger support, a city centre ground is essential.

There was a study which showed that only 12% of Aberdeens support purely walk to games, the other 88% take some means of transport

18 hours ago, Smithee said:

Why do training facilities need to be on the same site you use 20-25 days a year? It's very rare for clubs to have their stadium and training ground in the same place so how have they convinced you it's somehow important?

Also, far more expensive than what? If anyone genuinely thinks your plans for a 20,000 capacity stadium plus training facilities, including infrastructure like bridges and what have you will come in at 50 million they're kidding themselves 

There are many benefits to having the facilities together.

Even Ann budge had said if the opportunity was there, it would be preferable (albeit not an option for Hearts)

Just now, IveSeenTheLight said:

There was a study which showed that only 12% of Aberdeens support purely walk to games, the other 88% take some means of transport

There are many benefits to having the facilities together.

Even Ann budge had said if the opportunity was there, it would be preferable (albeit not an option for Hearts)

Yeah, preferable. Not THAT important though

IveSeenTheLight
5 hours ago, neonjambo said:

Policing costs will be interesting think they only have about 3 local bobbies.

Its Police Scotland now.

They already have police coming up from the central belt to cover games.

Daftest one I saw was a mounted bobby at the Merkland road end for a game v Hamilton where they had maybe 20 fans at most.

To get from the Merkland Road end to the away fans end means going right round the stadium, so no idea why they posted her there.

It was the day after the Ranger / Hearts game was called off and they had a demonstration outside Brokers, but we are not SevCo Neanderthal supporters ;)

IveSeenTheLight
28 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yeah, preferable. Not THAT important though

Yes its not a necessity, but when you factor in that redeveloping Pitodrie would cost more, achieve less and not bring in any income, it does make sense

IveSeenTheLight
3 hours ago, comeonthen said:

For an average crowd of 14000 it would need 3400 to park 2, 5 or 10 miles away at a P&R. Comical and not happening. Maybe 800 at the closest one if lucky and a handful at the others. 2400 on shuttle buses from town (last scoof at 1:55) going at 11mph uphill through 20 sets of lights and roundabouts. Wonder how many games it will take to get fed up of that. Folk will be pissing in bottles. 50 full buses probably drop to 20.

As I said earlier 88% of Aberdeen supporters take some means of transport to get to Pittodrie.

There are thousands of fans who park up and walk a distance to get to easier parking.

The area around Pittodrie is gridlocked after a game.

I'm sure the same people will park at Kingswells P&R, Arnhall, Lawsondale or even at the ground itself (there is not the same parking options at Pitodrie) and then find it easier to get away afterwards as the AWPR gives an easier egress flow.

3 hours ago, comeonthen said:

It’s the same groups of fans on every forum and Facebook living in a bubble. The real life people who bus or walk to the pub, drink 5 pints and go to pittodrie a minute before kick off have no interest in going to westhill, where no one likes to go or be, 4 hours or an hour before kick off.

Supposedly 1400 on supporters club buses for a home game. They, and the fans in the bubble, think 30 buses will pop up to serve every community and bar in Aberdeen. Space cadets. That’ll drop off to 7 or 8. Some will revert to cars, parking in driveways in westhill and kingswells and getting fined. Everyone else will save 30 quid and 5 hours and watch it in their home or pub, or head to Banks o Dee, maybe even start a new club in the city.

The usual biggest issue with travel is after game. Beforehand teavel can be staggered. Though there is also an issue nearer kick off. 

They will need a lot of space and very good organisation to get everyone on buses and away quickly. And then there's the cars.

What time. How many exits?

Everyone away by 5pm or 5.30pm or 6pm?

IveSeenTheLight
13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The usual biggest issue with travel is after game. Beforehand teavel can be staggered. Though there is also an issue nearer kick off. 

They will need a lot of space and very good organisation to get everyone on buses and away quickly. And then there's the cars.

What time. How many exits?

Everyone away by 5pm or 5.30pm or 6pm?

I envisage a huge chunk will get away like they do at Pitodrie, walk to their cars around the facility (Kingswells O&R, Prime 4, Arnhall, Lawndale or even at the ground.

Those taking the shuttle bus will likely / potentially be delayed, however there are already a few shuttle buses from Pitodrie I pass that waits to be filled up.

I'm sure lessons can be learned from other events / facilities where there is a mass exit at the end.

There will also be some who opt to go back into the pub located at the stadium and dissect the game over a post match pint or two and leave a little later once the majority have gone.

28 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Yes its not a necessity, but when you factor in that redeveloping Pitodrie would cost more, achieve less and not bring in any income, it does make sense

I don't buy it, and I also don't see why you couldn't redevelop a stand at a time.

This has the same feel as pieman's Not Fit For Purpose argument except you lot have bought into it. There's no plan to actually pay for the hopelessly optimistic 50million price tag either. You're mental mate

1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I envisage a huge chunk will get away like they do at Pitodrie, walk to their cars around the facility (Kingswells O&R, Prime 4, Arnhall, Lawndale or even at the ground.

Those taking the shuttle bus will likely / potentially be delayed, however there are already a few shuttle buses from Pitodrie I pass that waits to be filled up.

I'm sure lessons can be learned from other events / facilities where there is a mass exit at the end.

There will also be some who opt to go back into the pub located at the stadium and dissect the game over a post match pint or two and leave a little later once the majority have gone.

Big pub!

Just now, Smithee said:

I don't buy it, and I also don't see why you couldn't redevelop a stand at a time.

This has the same feel as pieman's Not Fit For Purpose argument except you lot have bought into it. There's no plan to actually pay for the hopelessly optimistic 50million price tag either. You're mental mate

Was just thinking similar Smithee, was going to ask if he thought it was feasible or if it was like our 51 million stand - pie in the sky.

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That’s how it sounds to me too. I don’t understand why they’re not fighting this idea tooth and nail. It all sounds seriously grim.

The main thing for me about the out of town idea is that it takes away all the choice. Your transport options are limited, you’re quite likely to be stuck or in queues or at the mercy of some shuttle bus situation, you’re too far away from civilisation to do anything about it other than just wait it out. There’s nothing to do while you’re waiting. You can’t just walk. It takes considerable time to get from the stadium to anywhere worth being. 

Argh. The sort of situation I avoid the plague.

IveSeenTheLight
24 minutes ago, redm said:

That’s how it sounds to me too. I don’t understand why they’re not fighting this idea tooth and nail. It all sounds seriously grim.

The main thing for me about the out of town idea is that it takes away all the choice. Your transport options are limited, you’re quite likely to be stuck or in queues or at the mercy of some shuttle bus situation, you’re too far away from civilisation to do anything about it other than just wait it out. There’s nothing to do while you’re waiting. You can’t just walk. It takes considerable time to get from the stadium to anywhere worth being. 

Argh. The sort of situation I avoid the plague.

Your looking at it from your own personal perspective of how you get to Tynecastle rather than objectively looking at how Aberdeen fans get to Pittodrie.

I've already highlighted that 88% take some forms of transport to get to Pittodrie, so it means 12% would have to consider alternative means to get the new stadium.

There are already massive queues around Pitodrie at the end of the game, sometimes taking over an hour to get out of the immediate vicinity, hence why many park some distance away and walk back to their cars afterwards.

The new ground potentially makes this easier for many.

For these reasons, I drive at the moment to games, but would seriously consider using the P&R and taking using the club bar before and after.

More money for the club and a bit more exercise for me.

Win Win for me. ;)

Nice and Lyon have out of town stadiums, supported by shuttle buses and if managed correctly could be a workable solution.

Yes the ground is in between Westhill and Kingswells, which have their own options for pre / post match options, but if / when the plans go ahead, I expect there will be opportunities for expansion

Pittodrie was relatively out of town when it was first built, as was Tynecastle I believe.

I don't think this is as big an issue as some of you are making out and certainly would not put me off supporting the club as I have done all my life, because it relocates 6 miles away.

59 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So you think raising £50m for a new stadium and training facility, where at least £15m comes from the sale of Pittodrie, is "pie in the sky"?

And your solution is to knock down one stand at a time, so essentially build a new ground, with four years playing with a reduced capacity, one of which without a main stand meaning European games would be in a different city, pay extra to have a training facility elsewhere, either have a smaller capacity when finished due to the footprint not being big enough or spend more funds on expanding that footprint, taking the cost well past £50m and with an additional £15m needed to replace the money coming from the Pittodrie sale?

That's your solution? "You're never going to afford £50m so what you should do is spend more than £50m and begin the project with less money".

And we're the deluded ones apparently...

5 minutes ago, La_Leyenda said:

So you think raising £50m for a new stadium and training facility, where at least £15m comes from the sale of Pittodrie, is "pie in the sky"?

And your solution is to knock down one stand at a time, so essentially build a new ground, with four years playing with a reduced capacity, one of which without a main stand meaning European games would be in a different city, pay extra to have a training facility elsewhere, either have a smaller capacity when finished due to the footprint not being big enough or spend more funds on expanding that footprint, taking the cost well past £50m and with an additional £15m needed to replace the money coming from the Pittodrie sale?

That's your solution? "You're never going to afford £50m so what you should do is spend more than £50m and begin the project with less money".

I hadn't realised it was as little as that.. 15 million from the sale of Pittodrie leaves 35 million..

Where the **** are you going to get 35 million.. serious question.. Hearts have struggled to piece together 11-12 million.. You need to find 3 times that amount.

6 minutes ago, La_Leyenda said:

You are deluded yes, completely deluded, you wouldn't need to have all the money in place for a staged build, it can be done ad hoc. As we found out with pieman, no solutions are possible when you're only looking for obstacles, but as we also found, where there's a will there's a way. 

I just don't understand the interest in this thread, yes I know I have added to it. If they build it, good luck to them, if they don't, the same. Makes no difference to me either way and no idea why some people are getting so worked up about it

8 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I just don't understand the interest in this thread, yes I know I have added to it. If they build it, good luck to them, if they don't, the same. Makes no difference to me either way and no idea why some people are getting so worked up about it

Dont think anyone is getting worked up about it. It’s a Scottish Football story though, and we are discussing it. That’s what the Terrace is for. It’s got a bit more relevance to us, seeing as we have just recently completed our stadium though, and that is why it’s attracted more attention amongst our support.

5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Not sure anyone is getting worked up about it, I find it interesting to where they think the finance will come from.

Also, it will affect Hearts possibly beneficially if they put themselves in a black hole.

I'd like to think that most of the Aberdeen support would like to stay in their spiritual home (since 1903) and not head to some empty carpark like St. Johnstone did.

I stayed in Aberdeen for 3 years and love Kingswells/Westhill, however to take your footprint outwith of Aberdeen is crazy.

If Hearts had moved to the proposed land that Murray was looking at out in Ratho? I would have had the same opinion.

We self funded our new stand for the most part as a consequence the team on the park are struggling - forget fanbase and loyalty for a minute, you would be paying this off for years and you cannot tell me that won't be detrimental to AFC.

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

I don't see anyone getting worked up about it. It's a interesting subject in terms of Scottish football-related discussion and perhaps especially relevant to Hearts fans seeing as we could've been faced with a similar scenario but instead chose to stay and redevelop our existing home. 

21 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Pardon me while I hijack this thread for personal reasons.

Any of the sheep on here (or Aberdeenshire Jambos for that matter) tell me anything about Portlethen? 

It has a golf course and is called little Glasgow.........That's about it!

2 hours ago, Ryder said:

Dont think anyone is getting worked up about it. It’s a Scottish Football story though, and we are discussing it. That’s what the Terrace is for. It’s got a bit more relevance to us, seeing as we have just recently completed our stadium though, and that is why it’s attracted more attention amongst our support.

It's relevant to me if I have 2 or 3 hours added to my travel time by public transport