Is PS the man to win us trophies?

Craigieboy

I've seen loads of comments on a number of threads which basically say that Paulo Sergio isn't the man to take us forward, win trophies.

Well, not only do I think that it is a ridiclous comment to make when you take into account the number of games he has been in charge of but I would really like to ask people who they think would be a good alternative?

I mean, really, who out there could do a job for Hearts within our budget?

I wait in anticipation.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy enough with what I've seen so far, and I'll reserve my judgement until the end of the season. I'll give him some time, and hopefully Vlad will as well. I think he has the potential to win trophies with Hearts, but I'll keep in mind that, at best, we will only ever be third favourite in any domestic competition (till Rangers implode anyway!) and that luck still plays a part in football.

In my life time have seen a few Hearts managers, some good, some average and some bad. Only 2 have won us trophies.

That shows you, no matter how good the manager is, its a damn hard job to win silverware.

In my life time have seen a few Hearts managers, some good, some average and some bad. Only 2 have won us trophies.

That shows you, no matter how good the manager is, its a damn hard job to win silverware.

I'm 22 and I've seen freckin hundreds!!

I've seen loads of comments on a number of threads which basically say that Paulo Sergio isn't the man to take us forward, win trophies.

Well, not only do I think that it is a ridiclous comment to make when you take into account the number of games he has been in charge of but I would really like to ask people who they think would be a good alternative?

I wait in anticipation.

with time yes

I wait in anticipation.

The people moaning about PS are probably the ones who moaned about JJ. Time will tell if PS can match even JJ`s first term at Hearts.

In many ways he`s starting from a stronger position than JJ did in 1995.

In terms of pedigree and profile, Paulo Sergio is the biggest managerial appointment in HMFC's history.

I'm down with that.

George Burley was voted Manager of the Year in England for his efforts with Ipswich only 4 years before joining Hearts.

Sergio may have managed at a bigger club, albeit for a short spell, but GB has managed at a much higher level.

As for PS's profile......

I don't know many people who had even heard of him prior to his appointment.

George Burley was voted Manager of the Year in England for his efforts with Ipswich only 4 years before joining Hearts.

Sergio may have managed at a bigger club, albeit for a short spell, but GB has managed at a much higher level.

I had.

But that's because I read newspapers that don't say things like "Gazza hazza Wazza"

I had.

But that's because I read newspapers that don't say things like "Gazza hazza Wazza"

:lol:

I had too.

:verysmug:

I had.

You are one of a kind GA - you know that.

Its maybe just me...I really don't pay much interest to football on other countries.

Fozzyonthefence

In terms of pedigree and profile, Paulo Sergio is the biggest managerial appointment in HMFC's history.

I'm down with that.

No, he's not.

And to answer the OP's question, no, not unless some better quality players are brought.

You are one of a kind GA - you know that.

Its maybe just me...I really don't pay much interest to football on other countries.

Sorry mate, re reading my post seemed like it was having a slight dig at you. - that was not the case.

fonz1.jpg

Firstly, Id never heard of Paulo Sergio. I pay little to no attention to football outside of the SPL and the EPL.

Secondly, he may win trophies, he probably won`t. Scottish football is currently, unfortunately, dire. The pandering to Celtic/Rangers is sickening. The games are of a piss poor standard.

Saying that, would be delighted to win something, so he has my full backing!

Sorry mate, re reading my post seemed like it was having a slight dig at you. - that was not the case.

fonz1.jpg

I didn't take it as dig GA.

:thumbsup:

The White Cockade

I'm down with that.

lol

none of us had even heard of him

Burley's signing was far bigger

No idea if he will lead us to trophies but the Maddie will have to dig into his pockets for some decent signings

if he is to have a chance

I still can't get my head round allowing JJ to make so many signings pre season if he was going to get the boot

Doesn't make any sense

Fozzyonthefence

lol

none of us had even heard of him

Burley's signing was far bigger

No idea if he will lead us to trophies but the Maddie will have to dig into his pockets for some decent signings

if he is to have a chance

I still can't get my head round allowing JJ to make so many signings pre season if he was going to get the boot

Doesn't make any sense

I think this is the part that most of us are struggling to understand - not why JJ got sacked but the timing of it.

I don't think it's a case of whether PS is the man to win us trophies, but more are we the sort of club that will give him the time to do that.

To me, he seems like a very clever man.

I wait in anticipation.

So far nothings has changed under PS, therefore its hard to see how he will deliver any trophies. Its early days, but I've said it many times in recent weeks, this group of players will not play the way he will want them to, that's going to be his biggest problem. Vlad has to understand, his incompetence at appointing the correct manager down the years, mostly comes from the fact he doesn't back them with ???????.

Burley, Burley, Burley - wah wah wah.

People who present their own petty parochialism as some sort of knowledge really should know better. Should.

Some drunk who managed Ipswich, or a soccer sophisticate in charge of Sporting?

Aye, Burley wins that round.

rolleyes.gif

The Real Maroonblood

I wait in anticipation.

He won't be here long enough to win a trophy.

The Puppet Master will make sure about that.

He won't be here long enough to win a trophy.

The Puppet Master will make sure about that.

I'm not sure what Keith Harris has to do with all this.

He might be but it won't be with the current squad so will largely depend on 1) how long he hangs about or is kept and 2) if he is allowed the necessary funds to build the squad. Whilst the current squad could potentially go close in one of the cups given a decent draw, some luck and an unlikely win in the Weeg against Rantic the fact is the 2 trophies won in modern times were won with vastly superior teams to the one we have now.

Burley, Burley, Burley - wah wah wah.

People who present their own petty parochialism as some sort of knowledge really should know better. Should.

Some drunk who managed Ipswich, or a soccer sophisticate in charge of Sporting?

Aye, Burley wins that round.

rolleyes.gif

Your funniest ever post IJ.

This! Very much so!

I doubt whether PS will be here next season and I certainly don't see him leading us to cup success... But I'll be delighted if he proves me wrong!

... but I just can't see it somehow!

Is pedigree based on the league or the club? Sporting pish all over Ipswich.

PS likes.

:greggy:

Of course they do.....but Manager of the Year ahead of Wenger and SAF is some achievement.

Sacked by Sporting after a few months isn't.

Sadly, I can't say the same for yours DH.

sad.gif

Don't be sad.

Just know that I've made you aware that PS is not our biggest ever Managerial appointment.

I'm here to help.

Is pedigree based on the league or the club? Sporting pish all over Ipswich.

They dont really "pish" all over them though do they.

In their Domestic League Sporting have a good pedigree but thats where it stops, on a European front they are no better than Ipswich and infact its the tractor boys who boast the more recent success.

Don't be sad.

Just know that I've made you aware that PS is not our biggest ever Managerial appointment.

I'm here to help.

But he is.

He won't be given money or time. Sergio will have to take the chances as they come starting with the league cup, get past Ayr and a decent draw who knows.

Hopefully the europa will stretch celtic and the off field problems will start to effect rangers. If Hearts can take any luck that goes our way we might be able to change our poor league cup showing of the last 50 years.

I don't think it's a case of whether PS is the man to win us trophies, but more are we the sort of club that will give him the time to do that.

To me, he seems like a very clever man.

Or even back him properly to allow him to do his job.

I've been in London too long. In all of PS games I've only heard 2 good reports, 2 games that I believe the players could have played with no manager due to the circumstances, but people think paulo can win us trophies? I'll be there on Saturday to judge by myself but can someone tell me what they've seen from him so far that gives them hope?

But he is.

Nope.

And no matter how many times you post otherwise it still simply won't be true.

I.J will leave an imprint of his Adidas Corstorphines in your face if you keep back-chatting, Drylaw.

I'll be ok.

My thoughts are that if PS is given 3 years he will start winning trophies at about the second year and with the youngsters coming through, built like Rugby players, he will win us the league in the third year and who knows after that, because he will be wanted by all the biggish clubs then.

I wait in anticipation.

I really liked what he had to say at the shareholders dinner, and if Vlad backs the man I think he definately has the potential to win us trophies. What he says makes a helluva lot of sense. Not only that, he is a top top man! And has a great sense of humour! :thumbsup:

Lynn :ninja:

Libertonian_II

Never fails to amaze me when people accuse VR of not backing his managers with cash. I would have said that despite the size of our debt, and outwith the ugly sisters, we pay the highest wages.

As for PS, he talks an excellent game and seems to be organising the training side in a more modern fashion. However, as Broxburn Jambo said in the Scotsman fans round up today, his tactics are still a bit puzzling. Against ICT and the hobos we seemed to play a 4 1 5 formation with Mroviec as the central midfielder. Against Spurs we played some refreshing stuff, but in the SPL we've been murder so far under PS.

Time will tell I suppose. How long that time will be.......

Never fails to amaze me when people accuse VR of not backing his managers with cash. I would have said that despite the size of our debt, and outwith the ugly sisters, we pay the highest wages.

The problem being that little value for money is got from many of the palyers he has signed or allowed to be signed. There are players who have and indeed still are picking up the sizeable wages you allude to who have in no way contributed what would have been expected for that salary. To have a chance of competing for the league we need to utilise the budget far more carefully and with far more skill than we have in recent seasons when the squad has been bloated with far too much dependence in quantity over quality.

Libertonian_II

The problem being that little value for money is got from many of the palyers he has signed or allowed to be signed. There are players who have and indeed still are picking up the sizeable wages you allude to who have in no way contributed what would have been expected for that salary. To have a chance of competing for the league we need to utilise the budget far more carefully and with far more skill than we have in recent seasons when the squad has been bloated with far too much dependence in quantity over quality.

There's no arguing with that, but successive managers have been allowed their own signings who have been mostly disappointing. Maybe VR is hoping that PS will change that. That's not going to happen until next season when there are a good few players, I think, out of contract so PS can start building his own team.

Archived