Is PS the man to win us trophies?

Craigieboy

Wow! What a long earth-shattering spell of success.

What did his team win? A big fat ZERO. He even got teams relegated! Previous tenures end in acrimony. That's a fantastic record - not to mention his later stints with C Palace and of course the spell when he turned the national team into world beaters.

I think you were basing your beliefs on what you personally felt at the time of the appointments not on their records or potential.

Give the guy a chance and by all means berate him if/when he fails but at least let him get his feet under the table first.

You really are thick.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_S%C3%A9rgio_Bento_Brito

If all this is true I've no idea where the pedigree as a player OR manager comes from, anyone help? Is it just because Portugal are a better side than Scotland therefore their uncapped, club reserve players are better than our top internationals? Whoever does PS's wiki page clearly likes him because it has his record at Sporting as Won 11 Drawn 3 Lost 3, making it impossible to be 26 points behind Porto since he only dropped 15 points!!! His 3 Hearts wins have come against an awful Paksi, a woeful Aberdeen and the worst Hibs team in many a year. Like many others, WHL and press conferences apart, I'm not that impressed with his first 6 weeks.

Somebody enlighten me how many trophies PS has won? Going by his individual record and our general under achievement as a club I'd answer the OP's question with a resounding no.

In fact, looking deeper into PS's history I'm amazed how he got the Sporting job. My guess is they were hoping to unearth the new Mourinho by seeing if a shit player could become a good manager. At Vitoria Guimares he finished 6th (with only 3 points more than his predecessor), reached round 5 of the Portuguese Cup and didn't get out the group stages in their league cup. His major achievement was taking a 2nd division team to the Portuguese Cup Final (lost but qualified for Europa League, losing in qualifier to Israeli giants Bnei Yehuda).

It is not my intention to slate Paulo Sergio but simply to outline my reasoning that PS is nowhere near George Burley in terms of managerial pedigree or ambition of appointment. Personally I was more excited when John Robertson was appointed (I hope he is again one day) and nothing PS has done has changed that (yet).

So, come on Mr Average player and so far every bit as average manager, prove me wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_S%C3%A9rgio_Bento_Brito

If all this is true I've no idea where the pedigree as a player OR manager comes from, anyone help? Is it just because Portugal are a better side than Scotland therefore their uncapped, club reserve players are better than our top internationals? Whoever does PS's wiki page clearly likes him because it has his record at Sporting as Won 11 Drawn 3 Lost 3, making it impossible to be 26 points behind Porto since he only dropped 15 points!!! His 3 Hearts wins have come against an awful Paksi, a woeful Aberdeen and the worst Hibs team in many a year. Like many others, WHL and press conferences apart, I'm not that impressed with his first 6 weeks.

Somebody enlighten me how many trophies PS has won? Going by his individual record and our general under achievement as a club I'd answer the OP's question with a resounding no.

In fact, looking deeper into PS's history I'm amazed how he got the Sporting job. My guess is they were hoping to unearth the new Mourinho by seeing if a shit player could become a good manager. At Vitoria Guimares he finished 6th (with only 3 points more than his predecessor), reached round 5 of the Portuguese Cup and didn't get out the group stages in their league cup. His major achievement was taking a 2nd division team to the Portuguese Cup Final (lost but qualified for Europa League, losing in qualifier to Israeli giants Bnei Yehuda).

It is not my intention to slate Paulo Sergio but simply to outline my reasoning that PS is nowhere near George Burley in terms of managerial pedigree or ambition of appointment. Personally I was more excited when John Robertson was appointed (I hope he is again one day) and nothing PS has done has changed that (yet).

So, come on Mr Average player and so far every bit as average manager, prove me wrong.

Some people mistake a sharp suit and disconcerting lack of eyebrow hair as "pedigree". Emperor's new clothes springs to mind.

The truth is, the sexiest thing about him so far is his name: if he was plain old Paul Serkis from Prestonpans, the top boeys would be sharpening their pitchforks already. :lol:

Nelly Terraces

Here's a wee question, are the current team capable of getting us an away win in the league against anyone who'se not in the bottom 6? I don't think they are, no matter who'se in charge.

The fact of the matter is Paulo Sergio is probably the best we can hope for at this stage to manage us. And he gets my full support aswell.

I can't see us winning any sort of trophy with our current midfield and away form.

We're so weak in midfield that we rarely win away games. A cup run is going to include games away and Hampden so we've very little chance I think.

I want a Mad Eddie and Tommy McLean managerial 'dream team.'

The same question could still be asked of them.... :rolleyes:

Here's a wee question, are the current team capable of getting us an away win in the league against anyone who'se not in the bottom 6? I don't think they are, no matter who'se in charge.

An away win against anyone would be nice.

In terms of the rest of the debate, I still can't accept that Sporting Lisbon are bigger than Ipswich. They once lost 6-1 to Hibs for **** sake,

I think he talks a good game, but I also think it's far too early to judge him.

The team we have now, with the central midfield so sadly lacking, I think we'll do alright in the league and probably reach the latter stages of the cup. I'd say the same if we still had JJ as manager tbh so not sure what my point is :lol:

who gives a **** about burley or who he played for, that was six years ago now get over it FFS

its now PS turn and i hope he does ******* superb!!

unlike some of the "hearts supporters" who no doubt want him to fail just so you can come on kickback and say iam right get it up you, Mad vlad out and all that pish

who gives a **** about burley or who he played for, that was six years ago now get over it FFS

unlike some of the "hearts supporters" who no doubt want him to fail just so you can come on kickback and say iam right get it up you, Mad vlad out and all that pish

I don't think ANY Hearts supporter wants PS to fail.

Which means your post is a load of shite.

I don't think ANY Hearts supporter wants PS to fail.

Which means your post is a load of shite.

every post you write is a load of shite, bumming up former hearts players and managers and just ripping in to the current..........

Aye, but would they be the 'dream team' to win us trophies? :unsure:

Malofeev was at least entertaining, trying to strangle linesmen and the like.

I hated McLean, as a manager he is in the bottom rank alongside Laszlo for me :yucky:

I don't want him to fail but I'm not aboard the Paulo silky soccer bus yet and I confess that if he succeeds he'll prove me wrong in the process. Who doesn't want to see an improvement in style at Tynecastle?

I base my assertions on ahem, 'facts' I've read, albeit only on Wikipedia. I wasn't against Jim Jefferies being let go and was fairly excited when I heard PS had managed Sporting Lisbon and then saw his press conference. Unfortunately on digging deeper his CV is a lot less impressive than his talk and performances (even at certain times in the wins) have left me less confident than I was initially.

We'll see...good luck PS, I'm happy to look foolish if it means we are successful.

I don't want him to fail but I'm not aboard the Paulo silky soccer bus yet and I confess that if he succeeds he'll prove me wrong in the process. Who doesn't want to see an improvement in style at Tynecastle?

I base my assertions on ahem, 'facts' I've read, albeit only on Wikipedia. I wasn't against Jim Jefferies being let go and was fairly excited when I heard PS had managed Sporting Lisbon and then saw his press conference. Unfortunately on digging deeper his CV is a lot less impressive than his talk and performances (even at certain times in the wins) have left me less confident than I was initially.

We'll see...good luck PS, I'm happy to look foolish if it means we are successful.

Correct. We can only judge on what we see. So far it ain't pretty. :unsure:

Correct. We can only judge on what we see. So far it ain't pretty. :unsure:

would we have picked up more points if jefferies had stayed? i dont think so, undefeated in 5 and only conceded 1 goal in they 5 games ( which was a very unlucky slip from the goalie) our peformances are improving and thats down to PS.

Lets sack him now, I'm bored with the new man, been weeks since we had a new manager and all this passing game stuff who does he think he is? Get the ball up in the air and kick six shades of shite out the opposition that's the Hearts we all love !! :P

linkin- hearts

I'm still undecided but i'll at least give him some time to try and put his own stamp on the team before i make my mind up for sure.:rolleyes:]

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Far to early to judge but my gut feeling is no. The chances are he'll be sacked within a year, going by recent history

would we have picked up more points if jefferies had stayed? i dont think so, undefeated in 5 and only conceded 1 goal in they 5 games ( which was a very unlucky slip from the goalie) our peformances are improving and thats down to PS.

Results have improved a bit, but the performances have ranged between average at best and absolutely Csaba at worst.

Not convinced, but will be delighted to be proved wrong. :thumbsup:

First part of your question is impossible to answer, the middle you quote facts which is fair enough and the latter part is down to opinion. My opinion happens to be that Ibrox was our best performance so far this season (the 1st half is probably exactly what PS wants) and Jefferies' other games were a well controlled draw in Hungary and a defeat which was probably deserved in the end although when United scored it was against the run of play. I said earlier I didn't disagree with change. However, I was surprised, as most were I think, that it happened at this stage.

Paulo's games have been very much up and down. By his own admission he used Jefferies' team/tactics in the home Paksi game. We were woeful at Motherwell, beat a poor Aberdeen side despite being less than dominant in the early stages. Against Spurs (which we can gloss over) we got our arses felt before IMO Paulo's best game, at Rugby Park, very unlucky not to win. Spurs away the youngsters played very well before being dropped for Hibs game in which the team didn't need to get out of 2nd gear as Hibs are so bad! Wasn't there last week but didn't sound too impressive and Sky Sports Live had ICT with 51% possession (stats might be bollocks but doesn't suggest we're keeping the ball any better).

As I said, we'll see...

I don't want to get into keyboard arguments, just trying to stick to facts and offer opinion in an objective manner.

every post you write is a load of shite, bumming up former hearts players and managers and just ripping in to the current..........

:(

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The only bumming on here is of a manager who's done little of note in his career and is now at HMFC. Don't get me wrong, I really want PS to do well but I'm prepared to predict that he'll do feck all as Hearts manager. Setting myself up for humble pie like but that's how I see it

The only bumming on here is of a manager who's done little of note in his career and is now at HMFC. Don't get me wrong, I really want PS to do well but I'm prepared to predict that he'll do feck all as Hearts manager. Setting myself up for humble pie like but that's how I see it

Theres not many managers who have done a lot at Hearts over the last 50 years so its no great shock then. MacDonald done wonders but what did he achieve? If he can get us playing ceent football and bring on a few youngsters..........One thing about Hearts thats different from other clubs in the SPL is, its usually the fans who decide they have had enough of a manager. Club owners pander to the masses as far as change goes and as a result change is done for the sake of it. It appears that Hearts crowds seem to increase but we don't really get a chance to be pissed off with a manager. This lack of control appears to keep us interested.................................like a proper relationship should be :lol:

Again, people are saying... "given time he'll do well"

Based on what? I'm not saying he wont just want to see where the faith comes from.... or is it blind faith? I've been stuck in London and not seen any games live, just TV so really keen to hear why people think he'll succeed?

I think the changes he is making to the culture of the club, along with his record at the smaller clubs he managed in Portugal, has people quite optimistic. He's basically doing the right things, saying the right things and although the football hasn't been great so far, is trying to build a style that can be successful if implemented properly.

Some people mistake a sharp suit and disconcerting lack of eyebrow hair as "pedigree". Emperor's new clothes springs to mind.

The truth is, the sexiest thing about him so far is his name: if he was plain old Paul Serkis from Prestonpans, the top boeys would be sharpening their pitchforks already. :lol:

Like they did with Jim Jefferies, is that?

TBH winning trophies is as much about luck as anything else and winning cups has never helped Hearts managers much in the past has it? It's not trophies Vlad wants, it's the league title.

I don't see PS doing much with the team to be honest and not because of how good a manager he is or isn't but simply because the players aren't great, he won't get to bring in enough new players to have the team playing the way he wants well enough and because he won't get the time.

I think Vlad and to be honest some of the fans, are looking for Merlin the Magician, some Messiah to come along and not just polish a turd but turn it into a beautifully spun cashmere jersey. The bottom line is that a good team takes time and investment to build, neither of which Vlad is prepared to consider investing into.

TBH winning trophies is as much about luck as anything else and winning cups has never helped Hearts managers much in the past has it? It's not trophies Vlad wants, it's the league title.

I don't see PS doing much with the team to be honest and not because of how good a manager he is or isn't but simply because the players aren't great, he won't get to bring in enough new players to have the team playing the way he wants well enough and because he won't get the time.

I think Vlad and to be honest some of the fans, are looking for Merlin the Magician, some Messiah to come along and not just polish a turd but turn it into a beautifully spun cashmere jersey. The bottom line is that a good team takes time and investment to build, neither of which Vlad is prepared to consider investing into.

Vlad has built his empire from nothing because he fears nothing. All he wants from the folk in his employ is that they fear nothing. He doesn't want his players going to Glasgow with any fear. Even if he doesn't have the best players in the league he wants a manager to prevent them from feeling any fear. He wants a manager who pushes the players to a level that even if they are playing against the best on the planet they will without fear. I think the first game against Spurs showed us the fear the players had. Vlad is looking for someone like himself to run the team and I think the guy would do a great job if he could commit the time. I can't see Vlad walking away from Hearts until he wins the league so whether you like him or not, he wont walk away until he cracks the subserviant and defeatist attitude that teams outside the weege seem to accept.

PS. have a look at the cash he ploughs into Hearts every season.

I see were Jambomo is coming from. Out of the current crop PS will improve some players, some he won`t and some will not adapt to his style.....maybe

Changing our style has to come with players who suit it. I do think we have some good ball players but there`s no doubt we need more in central midfield.

A manager`s job is to also get the best from what he has at his disposal until such a time he feels he has his own players to play his specified way......and that`s what concerns me a little.

Will freezing out certain players hamper us along with PS ignoring his job of getting the best from what he has? I don`t want this season to be an experiment.....

Changing the style at the club is a longer process imo and goes from top to bottom within the club.........

portobellojambo1

I've been in London too long. In all of PS games I've only heard 2 good reports, 2 games that I believe the players could have played with no manager due to the circumstances, but people think paulo can win us trophies? I'll be there on Saturday to judge by myself but can someone tell me what they've seen from him so far that gives them hope?

I've not witnessed anything in any of the domestic games to date that has made me sit up and think "this team could could go on to win trophies playing like this". The one game under his control that I've enjoyed watching us in was the fixture at White Hart Lane, but that was a game when there was absolutely no pressure on us. The tie was already over, so it was effectively a game where it was difficult to take too much from it in a long term sense. For example I don't know how the game would have ended result wise if it was a fixture Spurs had had to win, or maybe I do know but don't want to think about it given what happened in the 1st leg at Tynecastle.

I accept it is early in his appointment but my contention remains that I don't think the playing style demands wholesale change for HMFC to be in the mix in the SPL and domestic cup competitions. Playing silky football isn't really a requirement in our domestic game, winning is more important than looking nice. And if playing with goal scoring strikers up front and trying to get the ball to them quickly is more successful then it has to be given more consideration than trying to get us playing in a Barcelona type style.

I am also in the camp of those who suspect he may not be here next season, he might start next season again, as per JJ this season, but it would be no surprise to me if he then disappeared in a similar manner.

Vlad has built his empire from nothing because he fears nothing. All he wants from the folk in his employ is that they fear nothing. He doesn't want his players going to Glasgow with any fear. Even if he doesn't have the best players in the league he wants a manager to prevent them from feeling any fear. He wants a manager who pushes the players to a level that even if they are playing against the best on the planet they will without fear. I think the first game against Spurs showed us the fear the players had. Vlad is looking for someone like himself to run the team and I think the guy would do a great job if he could commit the time. I can't see Vlad walking away from Hearts until he wins the league so whether you like him or not, he wont walk away until he cracks the subserviant and defeatist attitude that teams outside the weege seem to accept.

PS. have a look at the cash he ploughs into Hearts every season.

Maybe it's the way I've written it but I think you've taken my post the wrong way in some respects. What Debut 4 said is more what I mean. I know Vlad puts money in and I certainly don't expect him to go out and buy a new team with every new manager but the way were going just now is still wasting time and money that could be used better. Instead of getting in a man like JJ who gets players to play in his style of football (i.e Kyle), then sacking him and getting in a new man in PS for whom the players don't suit the style/system. The point is stop changing the managers, pick one and stick to him for a bit.

What is Vlad really looking for with constant chopping and changing of managers? We are a club constantly in a transitional stage without ever reaching a goal.

This is nothing to do with playing with/without fear in Glasgow or anywhere else, you can't appoint managers on the basis that they just have a positive outlook on life. What we need in a manager is a good plan for using the players we have in the short term, ideas for building the team over the next few years and taking us on to the next level i.e winning the league. Vlad wants to just skip the middle part and is constantly looking for a magician that just "makes it happen" with what we have at the club. I don't believe that manager even exists.

I've not witnessed anything in any of the domestic games to date that has made me sit up and think "this team could could go on to win trophies playing like this". The one game under his control that I've enjoyed watching us in was the fixture at White Hart Lane, but that was a game when there was absolutely no pressure on us. The tie was already over, so it was effectively a game where it was difficult to take too much from it in a long term sense. For example I don't know how the game would have ended result wise if it was a fixture Spurs had had to win, or maybe I do know but don't want to think about it given what happened in the 1st leg at Tynecastle.

I accept it is early in his appointment but my contention remains that I don't think the playing style demands wholesale change for HMFC to be in the mix in the SPL and domestic cup competitions. Playing silky football isn't really a requirement in our domestic game, winning is more important than looking nice. And if playing with goal scoring strikers up front and trying to get the ball to them quickly is more successful then it has to be given more consideration than trying to get us playing in a Barcelona type style.

I am also in the camp of those who suspect he may not be here next season, he might start next season again, as per JJ this season, but it would be no surprise to me if he then disappeared in a similar manner.

About January and Julyish is when Vlad seems to empty folk. I'm all for change though as I feel whats on offer in the SPL in general is totally gash TBH. I like to see something different from the hoof up the park and hope type thing. I would like to see some more meaningful play. You get mistakes from players no matter what style they play but for the love of the game I can't understand this have a go at goals when there is a one in ten chance of it going in. The same with this hoof up the park and there being a one in five chance of your forward getting the ball then a one in twenty chance of him doing anything with it. Football is a team game and it was the Scots who invented the passing game therefore bringing the team element into it. Why are we going backwards and looking for individual talent to bring rewards?

its only my opinion and I may be wrong but this hoof up the park is not pretty to watch and in the long term will turn fans off the game. Youngsters will look at this and think why am I paying ?25 quid to watch this??? I can watch tennis on the TV.

In the Spurs game at Tynie, how many attempt at target did they have and how many goals did they score? The ratio was quite impressive for most of the game. Us Scots have an angst thats not settled until goals are scored. We don't sit down to watch a spectacle but want a win and get it over with. If we are getting beat, huge numbers leave the ground early. If we are winning but playing crap we sit it out to watch players take the ball to the corner flag and waste time. What is all that about? Its probably got something to do with not serving drinks when the game is on. It appears to be a big thing that we don't do in this country that every other country seems to do but for some reason when it comes to change because our teams are knocked out of Europe early..........this is overlooked. The cost of tickets could be reduced if the club was able to have large bars selling beer that was about to go out of date. If the problem initially came from the weegie hoards then why are we all punished?

Maybe it's the way I've written it but I think you've taken my post the wrong way in some respects. What Debut 4 said is more what I mean. I know Vlad puts money in and I certainly don't expect him to go out and buy a new team with every new manager but the way were going just now is still wasting time and money that could be used better. Instead of getting in a man like JJ who gets players to play in his style of football (i.e Kyle), then sacking him and getting in a new man in PS for whom the players don't suit the style/system. The point is stop changing the managers, pick one and stick to him for a bit.

What is Vlad really looking for with constant chopping and changing of managers? We are a club constantly in a transitional stage without ever reaching a goal.

This is nothing to do with playing with/without fear in Glasgow or anywhere else, you can't appoint managers on the basis that they just have a positive outlook on life. What we need in a manager is a good plan for using the players we have in the short term, ideas for building the team over the next few years and taking us on to the next level i.e winning the league. Vlad wants to just skip the middle part and is constantly looking for a magician that just "makes it happen" with what we have at the club. I don't believe that manager even exists.

I don't agree with you mate, i think most hearts managers come into it with great ideas and positivity but get weighed down with the job. They get asked questions about nonsense by the media that filtrate to the players and the fans and before you know it they are worn out and tired. The recent need to explain why Sutton is not being picked turns into a merry go round and then we have Aberdeen and Motherwell interested etc etc. The do you think you'll win the league and what are your goals for this season!!! When Vlad sees them looking tired and defeated he moves them on. Have a look at Hibs and Aberdeen at the bottom of the league. The fourth and fifth clubs in the country support wise but sitting bottom of the league and does anyone question their team selection? Does anyone ask their players what happens at training? Does anyone from the media ask them their feeling towards the manager?

I watched Hearts for years mate and watched some dodgy calls from refs and wondered why no one from Hearts even bothered to ask questions about things. I've watched other teams doing well in the league because they got the calls from the refs. Hibs under Yogi done well for the start of the season because they got all the calls. Football is corrupt and that is why they resist video technology, video technology takes away the power.

quite a good post that. :thumbsup:

Archived