Webster

wardie

Tommy Wiseau

Zaliukas has cost us more goals than any other defender before.

Webster's player-of-the-year 2009 award when he controlled their defence that season is irrelevant? A-hem!! ok!!

Doesn't matter if Levein was impressed or not,that's more irrelevant. McGowan=Australian, Mrowiec=Polish, Jonsson=Icelandic and Kello=Slovakian. He might've been impressed with Grainger, i'll give ye that.

:rofl:

What, in the history of the club? Has he feck.

A bit like the KB clique nae bottle and posted missing when it counts! Happy taking the money but nae heart! Get rid asap imposter!

Sorry, what? Are you inviting me to fight you? :cornette:

Thoughts on Webster? Penis. Talented penis, but a penis nonetheless.

Think that about covers it.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dellboy1971

Just stop it now

This will be websters last chance at sny club

Every player can get injuredas long as plays 40 games

This season he can help other players along

His current contract is attendance related

Don't play enough games he gets less money

What do you mean "don't pretend you don't understand", you said look it up referring to my comment about the number of times Driver has played and I posted the stats.

I don't think they have any about whether a player has a real injury or faking it as you would have us believe Webster does but Driver does'nt.

Apart from a few dafties on here nobody has ever suggested driver has been feigning injury. Two of websters ex managers have suggested websters problems are 'in his head'

So no, I don't have stats about whether players are out with real injuries or not but it's not difficult to work it out.

At 6 minutes in to the game on Saturday I made a comment along the lines of "I wonder what the chances of getting 90 minutes out of him today are". 2 minutes later...........

I was most defo what you would call "anti-Webster" prior to his return. However when he came, I offered him my support on the basis that he came here and did a job for us.

Thus far he's done nothing of the sort. In fact, he's really not done much at all.

I'll be honest and say that i'm probably within a few more disappointing Webster appearances from re-establishing myself in the "WEBSTER GTF" camp.

rossthejambo

Just going to put something out there...

If this rumour about not wanting to play with a slight niggling injury was doing the rounds about, say, David Obua or maybe Zal, would everybody be so quick to write it off as pish? I suspect I know the answer.

mahgrassyshoes

Technically, Webster is our best defender. However, I'd much rather have Zal 36 games a season (I've deleted 2 for suspension) and the occasional "bombscare" than 15-20 appearances from Webster, the length of which is determined by the man himself.

Re: him playing more than Driver, that's maybe true but at least Driver will come back, play and be genuinely injured, not feeling a wee twinge. Players are going to have tweaks when they've played as little and webster have recently. Webster needs to get his head sorted and play through them if he is ever to be fully fit again.

At 6 minutes in to the game on Saturday I made a comment along the lines of "I wonder what the chances of getting 90 minutes out of him today are". 2 minutes later...........

I was most defo what you would call "anti-Webster" prior to his return. However when he came, I offered him my support on the basis that he came here and did a job for us.

Thus far he's done nothing of the sort. In fact, he's really not done much at all.

I'll be honest and say that i'm probably within a few more disappointing Webster appearances from re-establishing myself in the "WEBSTER GTF" camp.

I suspect that Webster's injury problems are very real and that he is basically lying to himself and everyone that his career as a professional athlete isn't finished. I wish people would stop saying its all in his head, it isn't! He is no longer physically able to compete! I have a very strong suspicion that he captained United to the cup on injections and at the end of the season realised the injections weren't working anymore. The guy's career is over and its a bloddy shame just like with John Kennedy. Its a shame for the national team aswell but we are cursed...through no other reasoning than bad luck(or scouting incompetence)scotland have missed out on some great talent recently; James Mccarthy, Stuart Holden(bolton and usa) Aiden Mcgeady, John Kennedy and now Andy Webster. Just imagine what we would be like with all those players fit and in the squad playing at the peak of their abilities! Aye and I've got the tin hat on ready for the sniping against me for daring to claim former celtic players are decent lol, but they are scottish and they are decent enough to be starters in the scotland team.

Apart from a few dafties on here nobody has ever suggested driver has been feigning injury. Two of websters ex managers have suggested websters problems are 'in his head'

So no, I don't have stats about whether players are out with real injuries or not but it's not difficult to work it out.

So it is just a matter of opinion then and my opinion is that Driver is very similar to Webster in that the slightest hint of a problem and he wont play or train.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with that but to me that is not the sort of player I want at Tynecastle as a fan I want to see our best players playing.

I know that some players are luckier than others with injuries but then some are more determined than others to get back playing which I dont think either of these guys are.

From what you have said a bit like me you have no proof that either of our thoughts are true or otherwise therefore it is down to our opinions and perhaps on this we can agree to disagree.

Tommy Wiseau

Oh, PS. I missed something from my comprehensive round up of Webster; if he is incapable of playing football matches for us, he is of no use to us whatsoever. It makes literally zero difference how good he is when he is sitting in the stand or coming off injured.

Say what you want about Bouzid's ability, but the guy turned up every single week ready to compete. If Webster can't, we need to be looking elsewhere.

So it is just a matter of opinion then and my opinion is that Driver is very similar to Webster in that the slightest hint of a problem and he wont play or train.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with that but to me that is not the sort of player I want at Tynecastle as a fan I want to see our best players playing.

I know that some players are luckier than others with injuries but then some are more determined than others to get back playing which I dont think either of these guys are.

From what you have said a bit like me you have no proof that either of our thoughts are true or otherwise therefore it is down to our opinions and perhaps on this we can agree to disagree.

yeah you are correct it is just about opinions and neither of us kno for 100% certain who is right or wrong.

what i will say is that it was widely reported on more than one occassion and from different sources that part of Drivers problem is that he keeps trying to come back from injury too soon.

almost the exact opposite has been reported, again from different sources, regarding Webster.

so i`m basing my opinion on what i`ve read and heard. the media can be misleading and sometimes deliberately so and football managers can spout utter shit at times so i may be completely wrong in my assesment of the pair.

yeah you are correct it is just about opinions and neither of us kno for 100% certain who is right or wrong.

what i will say is that it was widely reported on more than one occassion and from different sources that part of Drivers problem is that he keeps trying to come back from injury too soon.

almost the exact opposite has been reported, again from different sources, regarding Webster.

so i`m basing my opinion on what i`ve read and heard. the media can be misleading and sometimes deliberately so and football managers can spout utter shit at times so i may be completely wrong in my assesment of the pair.

Hear what you are saying and can't disagree but one thing about Webster when he was at United on loan he hardly missed a game despite what has been said about him by Rangers or others.

I wonder if we still had the Reserve Team League if that would help players back to full fitness it's a shame that has gone as the only way to get games is to arrange friendlies.

Hear what you are saying and can't disagree but one thing about Webster when he was at United on loan he hardly missed a game despite what has been said about him by Rangers or others.

I wonder if we still had the Reserve Team League if that would help players back to full fitness it's a shame that has gone as the only way to get games is to arrange friendlies.

Yeah, i've not got the answers either. Maybe he just felt happier at united and was more eager to play. Only Webster knows I suppose.

Agree re reserve league.

bigsuperslim1874

We're one game into the season.

Bit early to get into all of this pish.

This. If it hadn't been at ibrox there wouldn't have been all this drama.

Francis Albert

A bit of a myth. He missed about half their games from January onwards.

Tommy Wiseau

We're one game into the season.

Bit early to get into all of this pish.

Which is all fair enough - or would be, had he not spent the entirety of last season with us regularly missing games. It's becoming an issue when we don't have much cover.

Don't think it's out of order to raise concerns when he is part of our strongest XI and we need him playing to do as well as we can this season.

Drylaw Hearts

A bit of a myth. He missed about half their games from January onwards.

Now THAT'S a myth.

Webster played 12 SPL matches and 3 SC matches for Utd between January 2nd and May 15th.

He played in 26 of a possible 34 SPL matches in that season.

Criticising players who come back from injury too early, play when they shouldn't and get injured again for lacking bottle is wrong

These players should be criticised for being foolhardy which is the precise opposite flaw

Francis Albert

Now THAT'S a myth.

Webster played 12 SPL matches and 3 SC matches for Utd between January 2nd and May 15th.

He played in 26 of a possible 34 SPL matches in that season.

He played in 12 out of 21 league games from January 2nd onwards. As I said about a half.

As your statistics show, he missed about a third of all league games over the season.

By his standards of the last 5 years that is of course exceptional but to say "he hardly missed a game" (the comment I was replying to) is simply not true.

Rudolf's Mate

Captain Zaliukas is there when called upon. No6 is not. Both are average defenders imo. And I can disregard his form for Dungdee Utd as it's irrelevant.

I'm sure the Scotland manager was impressed at how well our defence played after the Gutless wonder went off.

Sorry this is complete tosh! Webester is one of the best in the league. What it comes down to is an arguement about Zal on his day and Webster. I'd pick Webster in a heartbeat as Zal is a liability and makes far too many mistakes.

Drylaw Hearts

He played in 12 out of 21 league games from January 2nd onwards. As I said about a half.

As your statistics show, he missed about a third of all league games over the season.

By his standards of the last 5 years that is of course exceptional but to say "he hardly missed a game" (the comment I was replying to) is simply not true.

He played in 12 out of a possible 20 and 2 of those he missed was forced as they were against Rangers.

scott_jambo

He played in 12 out of a possible 20 and 2 of those he missed was forced as they were against Rangers.

How many games did he break down in or ask to be subbed due to a "niggle" :facepalm:

Drylaw Hearts

How many games did he break down in or ask to be subbed due to a "niggle" :facepalm:

I have absolutely no idea.

Do you know ?

scott_jambo

I have absolutely no idea.

Do you know ?

I'm going to guess 5. Any takers on 5?

Anyone else know?

The correct answer is - too feckin many.

Drylaw Hearts

I'm going to guess 5. Any takers on 5?

Anyone else know?

The correct answer is - too feckin many.

5 is the same number of games Pinilla played for Hearts in about 3 years.

:interesting:

scott_jambo

5 is the same number of games Pinilla played for Hearts in about 3 years.

5 is the number of times i've been KB'd from the club named establishment that was just off Tollcross for being too reeking :interesting:

DH making rambling comparisons... :interesting:

Francis Albert

12 out of 21, unless my Sky Sports Football Yearbook has got it wrong. As you rightly say (and I apologise I missed it) he couldn't play in the Rangers games (someone should perhaps tell him he can do so now) , so 12 out of a possibly 19.

I still say "hardly missed a game" is wide of the mark. It was true for half the season. That makes half a season out of eleven half seasons.

Drylaw Hearts

5 is the number of times i've been KB'd from the club named establishment that was just off Tollcross for being too reeking :interesting:

DH making rambling comparisons... :interesting:

Establishment was formerly known as The Red Hot Pepper Club.

Chile Peppers.

Chile.

Mauricio Pinilla.

Sorry this is complete tosh! Webester is one of the best in the league. What it comes down to is an arguement about Zal on his day and Webster. I'd pick Webster in a heartbeat as Zal is a liability and makes far too many mistakes.

So what do you do after the first 8 minutes then?

maroonshrew

12 out of 21, unless my Sky Sports Football Yearbook has got it wrong. As you rightly say (and I apologise I missed it) he couldn't play in the Rangers games (someone should perhaps tell him he can do so now) , so 12 out of a possibly 19.

I still say "hardly missed a game" is wide of the mark. It was true for half the season. That makes half a season out of eleven half seasons.

haha brilliant

scott_jambo

12 out of 21, unless my Sky Sports Football Yearbook has got it wrong.

ermm.gif

:Vlad-Stupid:

I count 3 games that Webster has started, but has then had to go off.

Honestly, what's the point in paying him undoubtedly high wages for him to form an ass print in the treatment table?

Drylaw Hearts

I count 3 games that Webster has started, but has then had to go off.

Honestly, what's the point in paying him undoubtedly high wages for him to form an ass print in the treatment table?

It's called a contract Eck.

If he has genuinely felt a twinge that could possibly put him out for months it is surely better he has had the sense to come off rather than act the hero and play on ?

If he has genuinely felt a twinge that could possibly put him out for months it is surely better he has had the sense to come off rather than act the hero and play on ?

Funny how oten he gets these 'twinges', after apparently playing a full season for Dundee United, isn't it?

Tommy Wiseau

It's happening too often though DH.

By my count, he has been signed to the club for 16 SPL matches. He's played in 10, and come off injured in 3 of those. It's not a huge amount of use to us having a starting centre back who can't make it through half of our matches. I think that's enough to be a concern at this stage.

Francis Albert

If every player walked off after the first twinge we'd run out of substitutes by half time. This cautious, safety-first approach to his fitness hasn't exactly proved a great success for the last 5 years.

Think Webby is JJ,s Gordan Petric of the 2000's. It will be interesting to see how many times Webster limps off at Tynecastle this season before he gets crucified by the Hearts fans !

Agree. Driver is another one.

maroonshrew

Agree. Driver is another one.

I disagree I just think Driver has suffered a couple of serious injuries he has never been able ot recover from, hes heart and bottle was never in question. I dont think he will be blighted by injury for his career. I fully expect full seasons out of him.

Drylaw Hearts

Funny how oten he gets these 'twinges', after apparently playing a full season for Dundee United, isn't it?

It's happening too often though DH.

By my count, he has been signed to the club for 16 SPL matches. He's played in 10, and come off injured in 3 of those. It's not a huge amount of use to us having a starting centre back who can't make it through half of our matches. I think that's enough to be a concern at this stage.

If every player walked off after the first twinge we'd run out of substitutes by half time. This cautious, safety-first approach to his fitness hasn't exactly proved a great success for the last 5 years.

It is happening too often.

But when he came off last week v Antwerp he did the sensible thing - there was no point in putting starting v Rangers at further risk.

He's then taken an injection to aid him in starting v Rangers.

In hindsight he shouldn't have but I have to assume JJ has asked AW and he's agreed to take the injection.

I may be completely barking up the wrong tree but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt as he barely missed a game with us previously and I think if it is in his head then we'd be better supporting him as he's here for a long time.

davemclaren

It's amazing that the Hearts management team aren't aware of this fact about Andy Webster's too brittle fitness/mentality. :ninja:

there has to be an urgent and thorough medical examination of webster's propensity to break down during games. in fact if it was up to me, he wouldn't play again until the very best advise has been sought. having to be taken off so early in games could eventually prove to be a serious liability and it's already fairly alarming.

there may be nothing in it apart from coincidence and bad luck but that should be established before he plays again. we have decent cover for now.

Poor, poor thread. Webster may have injury problems but he's easily the best centre half out with the Old Firm. If he plays 20 games this season, it's far better than an inferior player playing 40.

That said, unless McGowan is ready to step up to regular first team football, we need another centre half in.

If we were to release him - which we won't - he'd instantly improve 9 out of the other 11 teams in the league. Stupidity to want to do that.

Poor, poor thread. Webster may have injury problems but he's easily the best centre half out with the Old Firm. If he plays 20 games this season, it's far better than an inferior player playing 40.

That said, unless McGowan is ready to step up to regular first team football, we need another centre half in.

If we were to release him - which we won't - he'd instantly improve 9 out of the other 11 teams in the league. Stupidity to want to do that.

Think your missing the point here with your poor poor thread comment,

I dont believe most are questioning AW ability, I certainly arent I rate him. What I think is in question and was muted at being his Ibrox problem and I hear some within Hearts management too believe this was and is his commitment.

Remember this is a guy who probably created the most controversial decision and resulting in a new rulling for world football in our history. Given the flak he took and given the circumstances he aarrived back under with many not wanting him for non footballing reasons, then you would feel he would run through a brick wall to prove himself. I dont recall anything specifically happening on Saturday but do recall a slight overstretch v Antwerp but hardly enough to create an injury that would deem him fit but only able to last eight minutes at Ibrox.

I would respectfully suggest that you are wrong in suggesting that if we get 20 games out him we should be thankful. Most successful teams are based on consistancy not only of play but also of team selection and players normally take a while to gel so if we are changing the central defence every so often and your figures would suggest 50% of games then it cannot be good.

I hope we get the AW that demonstrates what he can be and on a regular basis, but he has a lot to prove and although I have gotten over my initial opposition to him re signing soley because he can play I just dont think he has the "taking one for the team" mentaility I would like.

As my mate states " hes got a heart the size of a hermacita"

Hope he comes good but dont think the essence of this thread in any way comments on his ability merely his attitude and problems I would suspect are in his head

Webster's an arse. He makes just as many mistakes as Zaliukas, isn't as good otherwise as Zaliukas, but is better than Zaliukas at waving his arms around and pointing randomly at other players to give them the blame when he's made one of his blunders. He could have done better for himself but he doesn't have the character to ever be more than mediocre.

Charlie-Brown

I suspect he's all but finished physically or mentally or both, he finds it impossible to play a sustained run of games, despite missing many of our latter games at the tail end of last season he's already started missing or withdrawing from competitive and pre-season games and training this season. As he has a lucrative contract and we need him no doubt he'll soldier on and probably play well in fits and starts but his last 5 years career stats except for one brief spell at Tannadice show repeated injury breakdown or failure to play or complete matches. 5 years is a long time to be almost always injured or injury prone.

Archived