Bin Laden dead

Peebo

shaun.lawson

Cool, so your considered view is that nothing dodgy at all happened then? Strike one for Team America!

My considered view is there probably was a chance to take him alive, and the special forces did otherwise. With regard to which, however much I'm supposed to be a liberal, my heart bleeds for the guy. :rolleyes:

But beyond that, that's it.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geoff Kilpatrick

OK, finally some corroborating evidence. I will happily hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. Cue some smug barstewards with "told you so's".

Anyway, if that's the lair, it isn't much of an opulent palace, it's more of a student squat!

Isn't the moral high ground always worth maintaining?

They've not held any moral high ground to maintain.

They've not held any moral high ground to maintain.

Has the USA ever argued it is taking the moral high ground with regard to Bin Laden?

Daydream Believer

My considered view is there probably was a chance to take him alive, and the special forces did otherwise. With regard to which, however much I'm supposed to be a liberal, my heart bleeds for the guy. :rolleyes:

But beyond that, that's it.

Seriously?

The US get to flout international law and shoot unarmed prisoners based on how bad a guy they're after?

Hopefully the parents of children killed in drone attacks share your viewpoint.

I can't believe more isn't being made of this, and while I think that they did get him, I completely understand any reluctance to believe the US administration.

quote;

"Al Qaeda = the base + i arabic word = the data base;

al qaeda is basically just a database of names of jihads who fought the commies in afghanistan in the 80s ! pass this on"

I guess I'd better call my father in law who has spoken arabic for all 70 years of his life and tell him his arabic is wrong as it was him that told me that Al Qaeda means the base. The database nonsense comes from Robin Cook, who as far as I know isn't a fluent arabic speaker.

scott_jambo

I guess I'd better call my father in law who has spoken arabic for all 70 years of his life and tell him his arabic is wrong as it was him that told me that Al Qaeda means the base. The database nonsense comes from Robin Cook, who as far as I know isn't a fluent arabic speaker.

What do you have to say to that MaroonLegions?

Or is Tazio just another shapeshifting lizard who can't be trusted?

shaun.lawson

Seriously?

The US get to flout international law and shoot unarmed prisoners based on how bad a guy they're after?

Hopefully the parents of children killed in drone attacks share your viewpoint.

I can't believe more isn't being made of this, and while I think that they did get him, I completely understand any reluctance to believe the US administration.

The US get to shoot a mass murderer of thousands of their citizens, yes - and to protect their forces in the process. No doubt you were up in arms when Nicolae Ceaucescu was shot by his people in 1989 - or when Saddam Hussein was executed too, were you?

Daydream Believer

The US get to shoot a mass murderer of thousands of their citizens, yes - and to protect their forces in the process. No doubt you were up in arms when Nicolae Ceaucescu was shot by his people in 1989 - or when Saddam Hussein was executed too, were you?

So the rules don't apply to them? Is it just the US that can overule international law or can any country? How about North Korea? What if someone only kills ten people? or two? It's a horrific precident to set.

Both Ceaucescu and Hussein were afforded a trial. They were dispicable, horrible people but they recieved the minimum level of consideration afforded by a civilized society.

Basil Hayden

So the rules don't apply to them? Is it just the US that can overule international law or can any country? How about North Korea? What if someone only kills ten people? or two? It's a horrific precident to set.

Both Ceaucescu and Hussein were afforded a trial. They were dispicable, horrible people but they recieved the minimum level of consideration afforded by a civilized society.

What do you suggest they do? Ssay "Yup, he's there, let's go home and file extradition papers"

Daydream Believer

What do you suggest they do? Ssay "Yup, he's there, let's go home and file extradition papers"

They should take the most appropriate action within the law.

Suppose they decide that Julian Assange is guilty of espionage, turn up in the UK in a couple of helicopters, kill members of his family, kill people that have been hired as guards, shoot him in the head and then piss off back to the states. All ok I presume? They're the good guys.

Archived