6?2(1+2)= ?

Ragnar

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres a similar equation on a different forum where the thread got around 85 pages of people arguing about the answers luls.

Dean Winchester

6?2(1+2)

6?2(3)

6?6

Made the same mistake as you when I first done it.

It's 6/2(1+2)

6/2(3)

3(3)

6?2(1+2)

6?2(3)

6?6

no. the sum within the bracket is separate and is multiplied by the sum outside the bracket.

Rick Grimes

6?2(1+2)

6?2(3)

6?6

this, based on the old 'Bless My Dear Aunt Sally' rule

Answer is 1... always do brackets first. That's the rules.

For it to be 9 you would need

(6/2)(1+2)

Commander Harris

the simple answer is that where ambiguity exists, use parentheses!

Rick Grimes

So it is 1?

I'd say so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#The_standard_order_of_operations

1 + 2 is definitely done first according to the above. I guess you could debate over whether the 2 * 3 or 6 / 2 is done first but as the multiplication is being done on the product of the sum in the brackets I'd resolve that first.

Dean Winchester

I'd say so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#The_standard_order_of_operations

1 + 2 is definitely done first according to the above. I guess you could debate over whether the 2 * 3 or 6 / 2 is done first but as the multiplication is being done on the product of the sum in the brackets I'd resolve that first.

Isn't multiplication and division treated equally therefore you go for the one leftmost in this case division and therefore end up with 9...

I P Knightley

Brackets

Exponentials (powers)

Division

Multiplication

Addition

Subtraction

The answer's 1.

Bracket first and all that goes with it (3 x 2); then divide.

No fee.

My pleasure.

Rick Grimes

Isn't multiplication and division treated equally therefore you go for the one leftmost in this case division and therefore end up with 9...

that's where you can argue it either way. as the multiplication is being done directly on the brackets I'm counting that as part of that operation.

if it was 6/2*(1+2) then you'd definitely be right, as is I'm not sure.

shaun.lawson

I don't understand how people get 9 :(

I get 1

Nine's the answer most people arrive at - because not realising the difference it makes, they do the 1+2 first. That's 3 - then they go on to multiply the sum of 6/2 (in other words, 3) by the 3 they already have, which makes nine.

As others have said though, the answer's 1. :thumbsup:

Nine's the answer most people arrive at - because not realising the difference it makes, they do the 1+2 first. That's 3 - then they go on to multiply the sum of 6/2 (in other words, 3) by the 3 they already have, which makes nine.

google says its 9.

Im going with google.

Dean Winchester

that's where you can argue it either way. as the multiplication is being done directly on the brackets I'm counting that as part of that operation.

if it was 6/2*(1+2) then you'd definitely be right, as is I'm not sure.

But surely

6/2*(1+2)

is equivalent to

6/2(1+2)

Just as

3*(4)

is equivalent to

3(4)

Certainly how I got taught it anyway.

Dave Spacey

Ah, that makes more sense, thanks Shaun.

So they've went

6/2(1+2)

to (6/2)(3)

How do you do a division sign on the keyboard? :ninja:

shaun.lawson

google says its 9.

Im going with google.

For the only time in my entire life, I'm not. :thumbsup:

Rick Grimes

But surely

6/2*(1+2)

is equivalent to

6/2(1+2)

Just as

3*(4)

is equivalent to

3(4)

Certainly how I got taught it anyway.

the way I wrote it out probably confuses the issue :lol: but was just to illustrate the difference in how we're reading it.

Shaun's explanation is better as it stresses that the sum inside the brackets is only part of the overall operation that's being done at that stage & hence before the division in the overall problem.

Dean Winchester

The answer is 9 :seething:

Even if it's not :ninja:

But it is :whistling:

Did nobody do first year maths?

Brackets

Of

Multiply

Division

Add

Subtract

Follow the rules people.

6\2(1+2)

6\2(3)

6\6

The answer's 1. Anyone who says anything else needs to go back to school.

shaun.lawson

Did nobody do first year maths?

Brackets

Of

Division

Multiply

Add

Subtract

Follow the rules people.

6\2(1+2)

6\2(3)

6\6

The answer's 1. Anyone who says anything else needs to go back to school.

Nailed it. Perfect explanation. :thumbsup:

I would have understood all this about 12 years ago, but I haven't found any use for equations since I left school.

As the old saying goes, "equations, what a load of crap"!

Dean Winchester

the way I wrote it out probably confuses the issue :lol: but was just to illustrate the difference in how we're reading it.

Shaun's explanation is better as it stresses that the sum inside the brackets is only part of the overall operation that's being done at that stage & hence before the division in the overall problem.

Talk me through your working out of it because from the way I see it using BODMAS we check if theres brackets first and do

6/2(1+2) = 6/2(3)

we then go back to the start and left to right and using bodmas again we use division on 6/2(3) to get 3 seeing as the brackets have already been dealt with

we're then left with 3(3) which is equivalent to 3*(3) and get 9.

My understanding of the brackets part was you dealt with the operation inside the bracket, the just because there was a value outside it you don't go from 6/2(3) (There is no operation inside the bracket here, just a value) to 6/6

shaun.lawson

Talk me through your working out of it because from the way I see it using BODMAS we check if theres brackets first and do

6/2(1+2) = 6/2(3)

we then go back to the start and left to right and using bodmas again we use division on 6/2(3) to get 3 seeing as the brackets have already been dealt with

My understanding of the brackets part was you dealt with the operation inside the bracket, the just because there was a value outside it you don't go from 6/2(3) (There is no operation inside the bracket here, just a value) to 6/6

You're forgetting something. 2(3) means two times three - which is what turns it into six divided by six.

It's all there in the equation. You just have to see it. ;)

davemclaren

6/2(1+2) = 6/2(3)

I'm with you. :lol:

Dean Winchester

You're forgetting something. 2(3) means two times three - which is what turns it into six divided by six.

It's all there in the equation. You just have to see it. ;)

I know what 2(3) is.

But you have 6/2(3).

There is no operation inside the brackets therefore the first part of BODMAS at this point is DM and going left to right the first occurence is 6/2.

Rick Grimes

6/2(1+2) = 6/2(3)

the difference in how we're reading it is you stopping taking brackets as the most important once you've resolved what's inside them. I'm taking the operation of multiplying on the brackets as more important than the division as the bracket still exists - until you fully resolve the brackets, inside & out, then they are paramount.

IMO :)

I know what 2(3) is.

But you have 6/2(3).

There is no operation inside the brackets therefore the first part of BODMAS at this point is DM and going left to right the first occurence is 6/2.

The actual correct theory is BOMDAS. Some folk use BODMAS but the actual proper way is BOMDAS.

This means you get

(Multiply first) so the problem becomes

6 divided by 2x3

which is 6 divided by 6

which is 1

Dean Winchester

the difference in how we're reading it is you stopping taking brackets as the most important once you've resolved what's inside them. I'm taking the operation of multiplying on the brackets as more important than the division as the bracket still exists - until you fully resolve the brackets, inside & out, then they are paramount.

IMO :)

Put (3) or (1+2) into a calculator and see what you get :whistling:

Archived