Rudi Skacel

Drylaw Hearts

The People's Chimp

Needs managing properly.

Doesnt look fit enough to me to last 90 minutes.

Needs a manager who'll play him in the right position!

JJ should stop putting him in the middle like that and either push him further forward or out onto the left.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the tom tit I read on this site is a joke. Honestly had it not been for Skacel we would not be in the position we are in. He gave the fans a massive lift when we were not so good and has generated a lot of new interest in the team. This is exactly what Mr Romanov hoped for... job done. OP of to a quiet room with a nice mag a quick hamshank and you will be right as rain. Get rid of Mr Skacel Pfffffffffff. what a t**t.

His goals have been hugely important but I can't help but think if we added a different type of midfielder and a goal scoring striker we would be better off for next season.

Got lots of confidence that we'll make the right moves there (or at all)? I'm not so sure. I'd like to keep Rudi, get him fit and add a target man type striker in case KK is delayed again in his recovery.

Francis Albert

we've been really lucky then or the other guys have performed a herculean effort to carry the dead weight of rudi the passenger.

:teehee:

We also carried the bombscare Zal during our good run. God knows what we'd have done with 11 players.

kennyblack'sshot

Yeah, let's get rid of the league's top scoring midfielder, a guy who is good in the dressing room, loves the club and sells jerseys and tickets and is probably our only real 'star'.

And all this even though he's not been fully fit for most of the season. Good grief!

Most of the posts in favour of keeping Rudi seem to see him a bit-part player next season.

Is that really enough ?

Will we have a squad strong enough to carry Rudi ?

My personal opinion is that Rudi Skacel is one of our best players. Things didn't work for him yesterday, but, even when off form, I always feel he is capable of scoring. IMO, we need him for next season and he will be more than a bit part player. We would need to sign a player better than Skacel before I'd consider releasing him.

11 goals for Rudi :

5 v St Mirren

2 v Aberdeen

1 v St Johnstone

1 v Hamilton

1 v Dundee Utd

1 v Rangers

Only 2 goals against Top 6 teams.

For the avoidance of doubt, I enjoyed each and every one of those goals. I quite like players who score goals and you and I both know that we still need to score goals against lesser teams.

I am saying that he has been a passenger in the vast majority of away matches he's played in so far this season and I don't see that changing.

He looks a different player at Tynie but I'm wondering whether that will be enough next season or should we use his wage and sign a player that can compete equally as well and more consistently home and away.

Who do you recommend, out of interest?

When Rudi is good he is very good. When Rudi is bad he is very bad. One thing he is not, is average - however, Hearts have a good many average players in the squad who are consistently not good nor bad...Fact is that many fans turn up to see the special players in the hope they have a good game. Few fans turn up to see the unexceptional members of the squad. Anyone want to list Clum, Jason T or Stevenson as their favourite player?

Why would you deny Hearts fans a mercurial talent like Rudi in favour of yet another (unnamed) midfield engine who is unlikely to live up to your expectations of being the new Hartley or Cameron when you should be wanting to find more players like Kyle who TOGETHER with the likes of Rudi could form a very good team?

Drylaw Hearts

My personal opinion is that Rudi Skacel is one of our best players. Things didn't work for him yesterday, but, even when off form, I always feel he is capable of scoring. IMO, we need him for next season and he will be more than a bit part player. We would need to sign a player better than Skacel before I'd consider releasing him.

For the avoidance of doubt, I enjoyed each and every one of those goals. I quite like players who score goals and you and I both know that we still need to score goals against lesser teams.

Thats a given bh.

I know I'm repeating myself but yesterday was far from being an isolated bad game. Away from home he's been pretty poor compared to some of his home performances imo.

He can't play in the middle of park, playing him in the 'hole' means Eliott going out to the right which means we won't get the best from him - the only position I can see for him is on the left of a midfield 4 but we need the right CM'ers for him to be able to play that role.

I like Rudi but I just wonder if he'll be sacrificed to allow a different shape of midfield for next season.

Drylaw Hearts

Who do you recommend, out of interest?

When Rudi is good he is very good. When Rudi is bad he is very bad. One thing he is not, is average - however, Hearts have a good many average players in the squad who are consistently not good nor bad...Fact is that many fans turn up to see the special players in the hope they have a good game. Few fans turn up to see the unexceptional members of the squad. Anyone want to list Clum, Jason T or Stevenson as their favourite player?

Why would you deny Hearts fans a mercurial talent like Rudi in favour of yet another (unnamed) midfield engine who is unlikely to live up to your expectations of being the new Hartley or Cameron when you should be wanting to find more players like Kyle who TOGETHER with the likes of Rudi could form a very good team?

I can honestly say I've never thought about going to a Hearts game to watch a particular player.

Also.....Rudi has had good games, he's had bad games and he's had average games. I'm thinking back and there have been few occasions this season when I've left a match drooling over a Rudi performance.

His goals have been vital but replaceable if we had a goalscoring CF. It would probably also give us a stronger midfield.

He'll play well in a team who try to play football. As for Inverness, don't play him in a two man midfield.

kennyblack'sshot

Rudi's the type to cause teams worry just when they see his name on the teamsheet - a bit like Kyle, Temps and Driver when he's back on form. Even when off form these players can cause teams bother so we need as many of them as we can get. Rudi's a well-above average SPL player in terms of his talent and the more of them we have the better chance we have of challenging the OF. Their players individually aren't brilliant but they're always above average and they play better with better players around them which is why the OF usually grind out results in the end. If Rudi had more quality around him he'd probably put in more consistent performances.

Thing is, Rudi has a great brain and obviously a fine left peg and this can be enough to get the better of most sides in the spl. Being intellectual on the ball is huge, basically thinking quicker than everyone else.

Yes, you could argue lately the workrate has slipped but don`t forget the hardworking shifts he`s put in for most of the season.

There`s a determination about him when things are tough too. To me, he led the charge in the fightback v St Mirren and not only with his goals..

Its a difficult question but i certainly think that if we can afford to keep him he`d defo be great to have next season along with any new signings brought in....even if he ended up more of a squad player.

No brainer...get him signed on for another season...at least. In fact, I hope Rudi finishes his career at Tynie. There are certain players who are just meant to be at a certain club...WE are Rudi's club. I think with a pre-season under his belt he could be even better next season.

Lynn :ninja:

Only a Game

We currently have to shoehorn Rudi into the team because he's the most talented player on the books IMO. Doing that makes our balance in midfield a bit off though. He doesnt have the work rate to play in a two man central midfield in this league. He probably doesnt have the pace to play wide anymore.

Not sure if he could play upfront so its a hard one. You want to keep for the talent and the threat but you want to get rid for the workrate, the lack of pace, and the money we're probably paying him.

Personally I'd spend a lot of time looking at the balance and formation we're going to use next season and then consider if Rudi fits into it and is worth keeping. If you can persuade him to stay and be a squad player on a reduced wage, then fine, obviously keep him. I think building a team for next season with him as one of the key elements would be a mistake though.

His goals would have to be replaced whatever we do, thats for sure.

Cheers DH for taking the heat off me with my 'Driver can F Off' thread.

Top man :thumbsup:

As a thank you I will set you up with another bunch of crackers pre-season.

heartsfc_fan

Considering he's scored 11 goals this season (and that's not a full season either) that's pretty good going!

Give him a pre-season and he'll be an asset next season. I say keep.

Gregory House M.D.

this shite coming from a poster who i'm sure wanted craig bryson... Beggars belief tbh. 11 goals scored, a good few assists, always composed and links up well but youd rather free up his wages to sign another big lump like kevin kyle or a struggling killie sub. Thanks but no thanks.

craigie jambo

This is where the argument fails in my humble opinion. If you look at the some of the goals scored by Skacel, and they way they are scored, then I can't see many other players out there who could replace him.

Skacel has a brilliant left peg and he scores a few goals from long range with the afore-mentioned appendage. Obviously I don't know the exact figures, but I would be willing to bet that probably 90% of Skacel shots are on target. He may not score with them all, but they are definately heading towards goal. When was the last time we had that reliabilty in front of goal? Most long-range shots from other players hit Row Z.

Incidentally, I wonder how many more goals we would have scored if we had better football brains in the front line? Skacel gives strikers a great opportunity to feed off rebounds if his shots are saved or parried by the keeper. Just a pity that a large part of the season, Kyle has been injured and we are having to resort to First Division fodder like Clum and Glen.

this is a classic thread its not only his goals he has contributed it his influence on other players.

You have also got to remember his presence on the pitch makes the oposition think.

Super posts

:thumbsup:

Charlie-Brown

Needs Kyle in the team to be at his most effective, also needs to play in front of 2 more hard-working players in centre midfield. Possibly also could have value as an impact sub when other teams are tiring, isn't getting the same space in front of goals just now that he did earlier - other teams are getting more players between him and the goal, also noticed last week that Motherwell tried to force him out left and wider before shooting although he still did get at least one cracking shot away.

Takeshi's Tynecastle

We're talking about giving our top scorer, and one of the most experienced players in the squad, what is pobably going to be a 1-year deal, not a massive 5-year contract. And we can't be paying him daft wages, as we only brought him in this season, so unless he gets a really concerning injury before the end of the season, then keeping him is a no brainer IMO.

It has been frustrating that he hasn't been as good away from home, but that is a curse that many attacking players have had over the years and not just at Hearts. And despite this, he has played a part in what must rank as one of best ever seasons on the road (well, that I can remember anyway). And anyway, if Rudi could play at his sensational best every week, he wouldn't be back at Hearts and arguably wouldn't have been here first time around either.

As for going off the ball recently. Who in our team hasn't? We have so many players out injured, and if JJ didn't think Rudi was such a vital player for us, then I'm sure he'd be rested because of his injury too. You don't hear him complaining or asking to be rested. He just gets on with it, and even against ICT he nearly scored just before half time. Like most of the team, he has suffered from Kyle's injury and our lack of a plan B. Elliott has stepped up pretty well, but none of Rudi, Driver or Temps have exactly excelled since KK's been out.

Expectation levels for Rudi are set pretty high. If he isn't scoring goals or making chances, it is easy to assume he must be having an awful game. Just because he doesn't run around like a maniac the whole game doesn't mean he isn't contributing. Yeah, he should be doing better on the road, but overall he has made a great contribution to our season.

And talk of freeing up funds/space for another striker or midfielder is rather optimistic. We've struggled to find strikers for I don't know how many years, and since Rudi left last time the best replacement we have managed to find for him is... Rudi! It just isn't that simple unfortunately.

So yeah, give him another year. In the short term he still has a lot to offer.

rossthejambo

Nothing like a bit of nostalgia and sentimental thinking get in the way of objectively looking at a player's performances.

Rudi's scored a lot of goals, some very important ones at that. But I'm not going to overlook the fact that on quite a lot of occasions this season, he's been fairly poor. I have a feeling that his lack of a proper pre-season and some niggling injuries are contributing to this, but I don't think it's right to just make him immune from criticism because of this and because of what happened 6 years ago.

We're talking about giving our top scorer, and one of the most experienced players in the squad, what is pobably going to be a 1-year deal, not a massive 5-year contract. And we can't be paying him daft wages, as we only brought him in this season, so unless he gets a really concerning injury before the end of the season, then keeping him is a no brainer IMO.

It has been frustrating that he hasn't been as good away from home, but that is a curse that many attacking players have had over the years and not just at Hearts. And despite this, he has played a part in what must rank as one of best ever seasons on the road (well, that I can remember anyway). And anyway, if Rudi could play at his sensational best every week, he wouldn't be back at Hearts and arguably wouldn't have been here first time around either.

As for going off the ball recently. Who in our team hasn't? We have so many players out injured, and if JJ didn't think Rudi was such a vital player for us, then I'm sure he'd be rested because of his injury too. You don't hear him complaining or asking to be rested. He just gets on with it, and even against ICT he nearly scored just before half time. Like most of the team, he has suffered from Kyle's injury and our lack of a plan B. Elliott has stepped up pretty well, but none of Rudi, Driver or Temps have exactly excelled since KK's been out.

Expectation levels for Rudi are set pretty high. If he isn't scoring goals or making chances, it is easy to assume he must be having an awful game. Just because he doesn't run around like a maniac the whole game doesn't mean he isn't contributing. Yeah, he should be doing better on the road, but overall he has made a great contribution to our season.

And talk of freeing up funds/space for another striker or midfielder is rather optimistic. We've struggled to find strikers for I don't know how many years, and since Rudi left last time the best replacement we have managed to find for him is... Rudi! It just isn't that simple unfortunately.

This, this and this again.

You should definitely post more often btw....you speaketh much sense thumbsup.gif

The Treasurer

Rudi was poor again on Saturday no doubt about that although to be fair it's been well reported that he's carrying an injury.

At times, especially away from home he is posted missing.

However no matter how he is playing he is one of the few players in the squad that is capable of producing something special out of nothing.

He's played less than 2 seasons in total for Hearts yet has scored more than 30 goals.

We'd be happy with a striker with that return never mind a midfielder.

So should he get a new deal ?

Of course he should, no question but maybe he shouldn't be the automatic pick that he has been.

If he was used a bit more sparingly it could benefit both the player and the team.

Good post.

I would like to add that there have been a whole number of factors affecting Rudi in the second half of the season. The first is obviously injury. As the only attacking midfielder in our squad Rudi has been asked to play on an injury for quite a few games. He has clearly needed some recuperation time to get back to his best and due to the limitations of our squad he has been asked to keep going. Much as when Ruben and Eggert were playing out of position, Rudi has been making a personal sacrifice for the good of the team. As others have mentioned, if we had another player who could take some of the game time away from Rudi then I think we would see more of his best form.

As others have mentioned, losing Kyle in our current system has had a big impact on Rudi's effectiveness (as it has with our wingers). Kyle drew in an extra man to create space and held it up long enough for Rudi to get into a shooting position. Without Kyle there has been less room and service for Rudi on the edge of the box. Therefore it is not surprising he has had less chances and so less goals. We are not playing a back to goal striker to feed Rudi at the moment - Elliott is not that kind of player and Stevenson is another finding his feet in an unfamiliar position. Our subsequent attempts to alter the formation have not resulted in much possession in central areas (we're still putting it out to the wings despite lack of crossing targets) and so Rudi has little to work with.

The lack of a creative midfielder in the Hartley mould means that we are expecting Rudi to play two different roles at the same time. We want him to be directing play and scoring goals. This is a big ask. By necessity to be playmaker will involve dropping deep to pick up the ball from our centrebacks or holding midfielder. If Rudi is doing this he can not then be on the edge of the box ready for the shot - he doesn't have the engine to be fully box to box - especially whist carrying a knack and without having had a full preseason. If we were to sign this type of box to box player then Rudi could concentrate on playing higher up the pitch, behind the strikers where his excellent technique would allow him to play throughballs to stikers or wingers or to shoot. I think signing this type of player would completely change the balance of our midfield, allowing both Rudi and our defensive midfielder to concentrate on their primary assignments.

The issue of performance away from home is a difficult one. Rudi is not the first player to come up against such a problem. Less sympathy from referee's, special treatment from home players and difficult conditions can all contribute to players performing poorly away from their home grounds. Probably the biggest factor that affects how players perform away from home is the instructions from their managers. Most teams play slightly differently away from home - usually more defensively. People have pointed to the conundrum that our away form has bean excellent overall (only 4 away defeats) yet our top goal scorer has been quiet in these games. For me I think that this could well be down to Jim giving his midfielders less attacking licence when away from home and so Rudi is playing a deeper, more defensive role that leaves goal scoring to the strikers. I don't think this is Rudi's natural game, but again, he is our only attacking midfielder so we have little choice and he might just scream it in from 25 yards against the run of play. Perhaps if we had another attacking midfielder in the squad we would play them in these sorts of games and keep Rudi fresh for when we wanted more attacking options.

Long story short: Rudi arrived after the season had started and was probably not part of Jim's rebuilding plans last summer. Our season immediately picked up from the first time he played, and along with Zal and Kyle and Templeton he has been one of our most important players. Next year I would not only be extending his contract but shaping the team around him. One key signing could bring out the best in Rudi on a more regular basis and provide cover for him to prevent burnout.

Rudi still has a lot to offer our club.

Rudi was poor again on Saturday no doubt about that although to be fair it's been well reported that he's carrying an injury.

At times, especially away from home he is posted missing.

However no matter how he is playing he is one of the few players in the squad that is capable of producing something special out of nothing.

He's played less than 2 seasons in total for Hearts yet has scored more than 30 goals.

We'd be happy with a striker with that return never mind a midfielder.

So should he get a new deal ?

Of course he should, no question but maybe he shouldn't be the automatic pick that he has been.

If he was used a bit more sparingly it could benefit both the player and the team.

Spare him from games outside Edinburgh. :whistling:

However I think you make a good point - his legs means he cannot dictate a game like he used too or wants to but his ability to pick out a pass and finish means he probably deserves another deal but only on sensible terms.

I can see where DH is coming from - he goes to every game and if I am being honest Rudi rarely puts in a decent shift away from Tynecastle. Sat was no one-off.

Charlie-Brown

Maybe we should only play Rudi between August and January 31st then loan him out until May with the caveat we can bring him back if we've got a cup final to play in? :)

Guest Bilel Mohsni

For how many seasons in a row have we castigated our top-goalscorer on JKB?

RUDI

SUSO

STEWART

VELICKA

I think that accounts for my short time on here... Was it the same in the seasons before that too?

We should carry around a giant mural of the Roseburn stand to place behind the goals at away games. we'd get 50 goals a season out of him.

We should carry around a giant mural of the Roseburn stand to place behind the goals at away games. we'd get 50 goals a season out of him.

If you were to get it printed on to 50cm2 card tiles then maybe our away support could hold them up to produce said image?

Only a Game

For how many seasons in a row have we castigated our top-goalscorer on JKB?

RUDI

SUSO

STEWART

VELICKA

I think that accounts for my short time on here... Was it the same in the seasons before that too?

Yes. Robbo used to get it tight for

1. Holding the club to ransom over money

2. Being overweight.

3. Being too slow

4. Being a shagger in his off duty time

5. Being lazy

6. Getting too old

7. Being a hobo.

There was no JKB in those days of course ( not for most of his utterly wasted career at any rate :rolleyes: )

Yes. Robbo used to get it tight for

1. Holding the club to ransom over money

2. Being overweight.

3. Being too slow

4. Being a shagger in his off duty time

5. Being lazy

6. Getting too old

7. Being a hobo.

There was no JKB in those days of course ( not for most of his utterly wasted career at any rate :rolleyes: )

My favourite Robertson discussion was always, "what did Robertson do today apart from score his goal?".

The People's Chimp

Good post.

I would like to add that there have been a whole number of factors affecting Rudi in the second half of the season. The first is obviously injury. As the only attacking midfielder in our squad Rudi has been asked to play on an injury for quite a few games. He has clearly needed some recuperation time to get back to his best and due to the limitations of our squad he has been asked to keep going. Much as when Ruben and Eggert were playing out of position, Rudi has been making a personal sacrifice for the good of the team. As others have mentioned, if we had another player who could take some of the game time away from Rudi then I think we would see more of his best form.

As others have mentioned, losing Kyle in our current system has had a big impact on Rudi's effectiveness (as it has with our wingers). Kyle drew in an extra man to create space and held it up long enough for Rudi to get into a shooting position. Without Kyle there has been less room and service for Rudi on the edge of the box. Therefore it is not surprising he has had less chances and so less goals. We are not playing a back to goal striker to feed Rudi at the moment - Elliott is not that kind of player and Stevenson is another finding his feet in an unfamiliar position. Our subsequent attempts to alter the formation have not resulted in much possession in central areas (we're still putting it out to the wings despite lack of crossing targets) and so Rudi has little to work with.

The lack of a creative midfielder in the Hartley mould means that we are expecting Rudi to play two different roles at the same time. We want him to be directing play and scoring goals. This is a big ask. By necessity to be playmaker will involve dropping deep to pick up the ball from our centrebacks or holding midfielder. If Rudi is doing this he can not then be on the edge of the box ready for the shot - he doesn't have the engine to be fully box to box - especially whist carrying a knack and without having had a full preseason. If we were to sign this type of box to box player then Rudi could concentrate on playing higher up the pitch, behind the strikers where his excellent technique would allow him to play throughballs to stikers or wingers or to shoot. I think signing this type of player would completely change the balance of our midfield, allowing both Rudi and our defensive midfielder to concentrate on their primary assignments.

The issue of performance away from home is a difficult one. Rudi is not the first player to come up against such a problem. Less sympathy from referee's, special treatment from home players and difficult conditions can all contribute to players performing poorly away from their home grounds. Probably the biggest factor that affects how players perform away from home is the instructions from their managers. Most teams play slightly differently away from home - usually more defensively. People have pointed to the conundrum that our away form has bean excellent overall (only 4 away defeats) yet our top goal scorer has been quiet in these games. For me I think that this could well be down to Jim giving his midfielders less attacking licence when away from home and so Rudi is playing a deeper, more defensive role that leaves goal scoring to the strikers. I don't think this is Rudi's natural game, but again, he is our only attacking midfielder so we have little choice and he might just scream it in from 25 yards against the run of play. Perhaps if we had another attacking midfielder in the squad we would play them in these sorts of games and keep Rudi fresh for when we wanted more attacking options.

Long story short: Rudi arrived after the season had started and was probably not part of Jim's rebuilding plans last summer. Our season immediately picked up from the first time he played, and along with Zal and Kyle and Templeton he has been one of our most important players. Next year I would not only be extending his contract but shaping the team around him. One key signing could bring out the best in Rudi on a more regular basis and provide cover for him to prevent burnout.

Rudi still has a lot to offer our club.

thumbsup.gif

Fantastic post.

SpikeDudley

only on Kickback would people be in favour of releasing the club's top scorer.

Sometimes I despair... :blink:

Hearts play much better when Skacel plays.

He gives us a goal threat from midfield and frees space for others as opposing players have to pay him close attention.

I personally find it ludicrous that some want him to go.

Not the hardest worker in the team, but one of the most gifted players we have.

Bang on the money!

Unless there is someone out there who is cheaper and guaranteed to get the goals and assists Rudi has, then he has to be kept!

I'd also add in that even when he is having a bad game I still get the feeling he just needs one chance on his left foot and we've got a goal!

Plus, I think he is having a really positive impact on the youngsters, the dressing room, and always appears to be trying to motivate his team mates to perform better!

I like Rudi :D

(Sure this thread was started as a joke?!)

Its a f*****g joke how we are all questioning rudi

HE IS A GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER AND IS A HEARTS MAN.

F*****G GET OVER IT

Takeshi's Tynecastle

This, this and this again.

You should definitely post more often btw....you speaketh much sense thumbsup.gif

Thanks! :)

I'm in exile in England so can't always contribute as I don't get to many games. But you don't need to to see how valuable Rudi is to the team at the moment!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think we should extend his contract.

It's like playing with 10 men.

I certainly wouldn't play him away from home, I can't remember him having a good game anywhere apart from Tynecastle.

Not having a go at anyone but here's some food for thought.

I have been to every game this season - and away from home I am struggling to think (apart from Easter Road in the 2-0 game) where Rudi has made a telling contribution. Saturday up at Inverness he was totally anonymous and this unfortunately is quite common for him on our travels.

I get the impression people are basing their opinon on Rudi from ONLY watching him at Tynecastle where he imho is a completely different player and far more effective.

Personally I would give him an another year but not on silly money.

Semantics possibly but he is certainly liberal in his workrate when working back. He is a luxury player & a luxury which can't be afforded when he plays central midfield as he did at Inverness. He doesn't have the fitness/desire to track back and we were all over the place in the first half hour.

I'm sorry but one shot which was cleared off the line isn't a contribution for me I'm afraid.

Apologies if this is not in keeping with the Rudi love fest but is my opinion based on what I have seen home & away. At times RS is superb at Tynecastle while at times away from home he goes AWOL. Don't get me wrong if fit and wages are acceptable I hope he stays, as has been stated numerous times he has that bit of class/magic which can swing games in our favour.

:whistling:

cardboardcutout

skacel has been carrying a calf injury for weeks which restricts his training but his sense of timing and ability to be in the right place at the right time has been priceless to us!

quality counts!

Seymour M Hersh

I'd risk another year.

It is a risk though.

Not a big risk imo. He's not getting big money and still brings something extra to the team.

The White Cockade

Only on Kickback

Rudi, our top scorer, played through injury for last few months for the cause

and people want our most talented player to go

Unbelievable!

I honestly think we wouldn't be in the top 3 if we hadn't signed him

colinmaroon

Only on Kickback

Rudi, our top scorer, played through injury for last few months for the cause

and people want our most talented player to go

Unbelievable!

I honestly think we wouldn't be in the top 3 if we hadn't signed him