Barcelona v Arsenal

The Merse

Barca were superior in every department. No complaints. Interesting to see how chelski or ManUre will fare against them if they meet later in the competiton. (I suspect shite!)

Maybe next season arsenal could not draw barca, or possibly even WIN the carling cup!! :lol::lol:

It's Wengers fault that Arsenal drew Barca in the first place.

He thought they'd already secured top spot after getting 9 pts from thhe first 3 matches and played half his reserves away in Donetsk and Braga, and as usual the reserves like Denilson and Rosicky and co proved they weren't good enough and lost both games.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Walter Bishop

:verysmug:

BARCELONA ARSENAL

Possession

Barcelona 67% Arsenal 33%

Attempts on target

Barcelona 13 Arsenal 0

Attempts off target

Barcelona 6 Arsenal 0

Corners

Barcelona 5 Arsenal 2

Fouls

Barcelona 6 Arsenal 16

colinmaroon

Doesn't matter about statistics!

You can maybe this maybe that, but once again an incompetent referee rules (and, of course, he missed a blatant penalty for Barca in the 1st half)

How many shots on target did we have v Rangers when we won 1-0?

The HUGE fact is that the referee (again) had a massive influence in deciding the game through an outrageous decision and Wenger, whinger or not, had every right to feel hard done by!

I just prefer seeing games won by the players and not by the officials! We've had enough of that v the Uglies to understand how it feels!

Say What Again

He thought they'd already secured top spot after getting 9 pts from thhe first 3 matches and played half his reserves away in Donetsk and Braga, and as usual the reserves like Denilson and Rosicky and co proved they weren't good enough and lost both games.

A very good point.

shaun.lawson

I must agree with this. I found it bizarre: was it hubris, or merely an indication that Wenger was prioritising the EPL much more? Sometimes, as with Inter last season, a club gets away with not winning its CL group; but most of the time, it doesn't. Wenger should bloody know this.

BARCELONA ARSENAL

Possession

Attempts on target

Barcelona 13 Arsenal 0

Attempts off target

Barcelona 6 Arsenal 0

Corners

Barcelona 5 Arsenal 2

Fouls

Barcelona 6 Arsenal 16

Attempts made on barcelona's goal:

Barcelona 1 Arsenal 0 :lol:

I'm delighted that Arsehole Whinger and his bottle merchants are out of another competition. :lol:

Hopefully Chelski will follow soon and the CL will be won by a decent team like Barca or Man U... :whistling:

I don't care who wins the EPL either, But good luck to Man U, Man City and Spurs...Anybody but Arsehole or the Plastic Cockneys :thumbsup:

Oh, and Good luck to Spurs tonight!! :thumbsup:

I must agree with this. I found it bizarre: was it hubris, or merely an indication that Wenger was prioritising the EPL much more? Sometimes, as with Inter last season, a club gets away with not winning its CL group; but most of the time, it doesn't. Wenger should bloody know this.

Wenger infuriates me. I don't know what it is, whether he believes his reserves are better than they are or if he underestimates the opposition.

Time and time again when he changes his side and puts in the fringe players, they fail to win. He is not learning from his mistakes.

They've had to play 2 needless FA Cup replays, failed to top their CL group and dropped a couple of big points in the league due to his selections.

Chad Sexington

Wenger infuriates me. I don't know what it is, whether he believes his reserves are better than they are or if he underestimates the opposition.

Time and time again when he changes his side and puts in the fringe players, they fail to win. He is not learning from his mistakes.

They've had to play 2 needless FA Cup replays, failed to top their CL group and dropped a couple of big points in the league due to his selections.

Agree with that.

I think his arrogance has cost Arsenal dearly in the last few seasons.

If, as is looking increasingly likely, they win nowt this season, there might be questions asked regarding his future.

He seems to get by on a lot of good will created from past glories. You can only surf that wave for so long.

shaun.lawson

Absolutely. At some point, someone needs to put together a study on whether big clubs benefit or suffer when resting so many players. Ranieri always made a mess of it at Chelsea with his constant tinkering; ditto Benitez at Liverpool (his selections were frequently unfathomable, and made a rod for his own back); Wenger's reserves always fail, as you say. Meanwhile, Mourinho seemed to make a point of picking his strongest side very often at the Bridge, with impressive results.

The only time it's ever really worked for Wenger was when Arsenal reserves reached the League Cup Final in 2007, completely showing up a number of top clubs (most notably Spurs) en route. But it's like he thinks he can emulate what Alex Ferguson has frequently done in dead CL group games and the League Cup; and the results just don't bear him out at all.

shaun.lawson

Agree with that.

I think his arrogance has cost Arsenal dearly in the last few seasons.

If, as is looking increasingly likely, they win nowt this season, there might be questions asked regarding his future.

He seems to get by on a lot of good will created from past glories. You can only surf that wave for so long.

I think he'd be in trouble if Arsenal ever failed to qualify for the CL, or if they were under new, more demanding owners. As it is though, he's OK - and there's still a very decent chance of them winning the title, which would leave him vindicated and sitting pretty again.

Chad Sexington

I think he'd be in trouble if Arsenal ever failed to qualify for the CL, or if they were under new, more demanding owners. As it is though, he's OK - and there's still a very decent chance of them winning the title, which would leave him vindicated and sitting pretty again.

I don't think they'll win the title, mate.

Despite their last couple of dodgy results I think United will get it.

Arsene's ring will be twitching watching Chelsea come up on the rails as well. :unsure:

rossthejambo

They won't win the title, they'll end up trophyless again but we'll keep hearing about next year being Arsenal's year what with all their young players coming through at the right time :rolleyes:

shaun.lawson

I don't think they'll win the title, mate.

Despite their last couple of dodgy results I think United will get it.

Arsene's ring will be twitching watching Chelsea come up on the rails as well. :unsure:

Oh, it will, it will. And I'm not saying they will win it - how could anyone have confidence in that infuriating, exasperating side? - only that they could.

Say this, though. If, after this craziest of seasons, the EPL still ends up United-Chelsea(or Chelsea-United)-Arsenal-Spurs-City... nothing would have changed at all! And given the frailties of all the leading sides, that'd be ridiculous. :blink:

shaun.lawson

They won't win the title, they'll end up trophyless again but we'll keep hearing about next year being Arsenal's year what with all their young players coming through at the right time :rolleyes:

We'll see. :)

Walter Bishop

Doesn't matter about statistics!

You can maybe this maybe that, but once again an incompetent referee rules (and, of course, he missed a blatant penalty for Barca in the 1st half)

How many shots on target did we have v Rangers when we won 1-0?

The HUGE fact is that the referee (again) had a massive influence in deciding the game through an outrageous decision and Wenger, whinger or not, had every right to feel hard done by!

I just prefer seeing games won by the players and not by the officials! We've had enough of that v the Uglies to understand how it feels!

Do you honestly believe this? Are you Alan Smith in disguise??

Walter Bishop

Chelsea unfortunately imo will be champions once more. :(

Chelsea unfortunately imo will be champions once more. :(

brave shout. i should imagine you`ll get good odds on that.

Walter Bishop

brave shout. i should imagine you`ll get good odds on that.

Outright Betting Paddy power.

Man Utd

8/11

Arsenal

7/4

Chelsea

13/2

Man City

33/1

Tottenham

175/1

rossthejambo

Outright Betting Paddy power.

Man Utd

8/11

Arsenal

7/4

Chelsea

13/2

Man City

33/1

Tottenham

175/1

As much as I don't think it's very likely, 33/1 Man City looks worth a cheeky couple of pound.

BARCELONA ARSENAL

Possession

Attempts on target

Barcelona 13 Arsenal 0

Attempts off target

Barcelona 6 Arsenal 0

Corners

Barcelona 5 Arsenal 2

Fouls

Barcelona 6 Arsenal 16

They have a cheek to slag Manchester City about the way they play. :thumbsup::lol:

What most people seem to be ignoring is that no matter how much Barca dominated last night and no matter how unfair van Persie's red card was if Bendtner had just had abetter touch and scored in 88th minute the best team in the world were almost certainly out. They would have had 6 minutes to score twice. It was very similar to the first lewg at Emirates where Barca dominated until Arsenal equalised and then Arsenal were on top and it was also very similar to our recennt home win against Rangers when they outplayed us for 90 minutes , missed lots of chamces and we scored late on. If Barca were as good as everyone is making out they wouldn't have given Arsenal a snowball's chance in the closing stages especially playing with 11 v 10. Man U or Chelsea will have a great chance against Barca when their turn comes around.

What most people seem to be ignoring is that no matter how much Barca dominated last night and no matter how unfair van Persie's red card was if Bendtner had just had abetter touch and scored in 88th minute the best team in the world were almost certainly out. They would have had 6 minutes to score twice. It was very similar to the first lewg at Emirates where Barca dominated until Arsenal equalised and then Arsenal were on top and it was also very similar to our recennt home win against Rangers when they outplayed us for 90 minutes , missed lots of chamces and we scored late on. If Barca were as good as everyone is making out they wouldn't have given Arsenal a snowball's chance in the closing stages especially playing with 11 v 10. Man U or Chelsea will have a great chance against Barca when their turn comes around.

:facepalm:

Bindy Badgy
The only time it's ever really worked for Wenger was when Arsenal reserves reached the League Cup Final in 2007, completely showing up a number of top clubs (most notably Spurs) en route. But it's like he thinks he can emulate what Alex Ferguson has frequently done in dead CL group games and the League Cup; and the results just don't bear him out at all.

Doing it in the League Cup is fair enough. It's a nothing tournament and a good excuse to give good young players some first team action.

Doint it in the Champions League is madness.

Would that be the same 'arsehole club' who routinely play brilliant football, don't spend silly money on players, and were bloody close to going through against the best club side seen in Europe in at least two decades?

Yes, that's the one. The EPL Flairmeisters. The London Lochend with their silly Hibs-type strip and their pit-a-pat football around the box that makes you want to throw a bottle at the TV because they won't SHOOOOOOOT. The team that loses games it should win because it's so obsessed with its pretty-pretty noodling. Awful.

And would that be the same 'arsehole manager' whose methods and intelligence dragged English football out of the dark ages, and has tonight spoken extremely well about a scandalous sending off? Despite his intense disappointment, said 'arsehole manager' is still talking to the media - unlike his most famous contemporary, who's even stopped talking to his own club TV station!

But no-one says anything about that. Alex Ferguson = good guy; Arsene Wenger = arsehole, apparently. :mellow:

Shaun, I really don't care whether or not English football is in the Dark Ages - in fact, I think on balance I'd rather it was. That way, our own domestic product might get a look-in. Ferguson may be just as bad a loser as Wenger, but you're right - I just can't bring myself to dislike him nearly as much. I think Wenger's scandalous comments after the CL final against Barcelona finally convinced me that he was an irredeemable roaster of intergalactic proportions.

Malinga the Swinga

Yes, that's the one. The EPL Flairmeisters. The London Lochend with their silly Hibs-type strip and their pit-a-pat football around the box that makes you want to throw a bottle at the TV because they won't SHOOOOOOOT. The team that loses games it should win because it's so obsessed with its pretty-pretty noodling. Awful.

Shaun, I really don't care whether or not English football is in the Dark Ages - in fact, I think on balance I'd rather it was. That way, our own domestic product might get a look-in. Ferguson may be just as bad a loser as Wenger, but you're right - I just can't bring myself to dislike him nearly as much. I think Wenger's scandalous comments after the CL final against Barcelona finally convinced me that he was an irredeemable roaster of intergalactic proportions.

Disliking red nose is actually really easy if you put your mind to it. He is a bully of the highest order, who if he is questioned or doesn't get his own way, throws a huge strop and throws all the toys out of his pram. Won't speak to BBC (told the truth about his son), SKY (reported what he said after a game) MUTV (same as SKY) or any other organisation becuase he made a ****** up and slagged off ref. His yes men that surround him are just as bad, with Phelan another guy who has his nose firmly where the sun don't shine.

A man who wil never escape the shadow of Shankly, Clough and Stein.

Disliking red nose is actually really easy if you put your mind to it. He is a bully of the highest order, who if he is questioned or doesn't get his own way, throws a huge strop and throws all the toys out of his pram. Won't speak to BBC (told the truth about his son), SKY (reported what he said after a game) MUTV (same as SKY) or any other organisation becuase he made a ****** up and slagged off ref. His yes men that surround him are just as bad, with Phelan another guy who has his nose firmly where the sun don't shine.

A man who wil never escape the shadow of Shankly, Clough and Stein.

I don't doubt that you're right and that Ferguson may well be one of the most unpleasant characters in the game now or ever. The facts speak for themselves. It's just that I have enormous respect for his achievements and I really don't want to dislike him.

How to beat Barcelona?

1) A tremendously organised tactical defensive performance such as Inter under Mourinho - something really difficult to achieve

2) Hope - like Arsenal last night that Barcelona will fail to convert their chances - does not pay off very often

3) And this one is basically untried but I have a hunch that an old style British football setup could be the way to play against them. High tempo and very direct in passing - my guess is that Kenny Dalglish through the signing of Carroll is going to try to play this way once again. Could this be the way for teams to beat Barca?

How to beat Barcelona?

1) A tremendously organised tactical defensive performance such as Inter under Mourinho - something really difficult to achieve

2) Hope - like Arsenal last night that Barcelona will fail to convert their chances - does not pay off very often

3) And this one is basically untried but I have a hunch that an old style British football setup could be the way to play against them. High tempo and very direct in passing - my guess is that Kenny Dalglish through the signing of Carroll is going to try to play this way once again. Could this be the way for teams to beat Barca?

Long ball you mean then?

It's just incredible, because Barca pass the ball about for fun, but it's impossible to pass the ball around Barca yourselves due to the pressing.

They are unplayable as they have the full game mastered. They are the best team in the world with the ball and the best without it.

shaun.lawson

I don't doubt that you're right and that Ferguson may well be one of the most unpleasant characters in the game now or ever. The facts speak for themselves. It's just that I have enormous respect for his achievements and I really don't want to dislike him.

I have enormous respect for Ferguson's achievements too - how could anyone not? And I don't hate him: albeit, if I ever met him, my first question would be "are you proud of being a bully?"

It's just that I have enormous respect for Wenger's achievements as well: he's a great, great manager. Together, these two men have shaped the modern era of English football, just as Shankly, Paisley, Revie, Clough and one or two others (notably Kendall) shaped the previous one. But Wenger's never been at all popular: I think it's because he's cold, and above all, that he's different.

shaun.lawson

Long ball you mean then?

It's just incredible, because Barca pass the ball about for fun, but it's impossible to pass the ball around Barca yourselves due to the pressing.

They are unplayable as they have the full game mastered. They are the best team in the world with the ball and the best without it.

I'm not sure that Liverpool ever played the way Coco suggests last time under Dalglish - did they? Regardless: Inter also had the capacity to beat Barcelona with brilliant attacking football in the first leg of their semi-final last year, before parking the bus when being reduced to ten men demanded it. Inter were multi-dimensional, had colossal mental toughness, and had balance. Arsenal just don't have the flexibility, and I'm not sure if anyone else in Europe does.

I think the best chance of beating Barca is in a one-off final on neutral territory. Over two legs, it's not impossible, but not far off it.

I'm not sure that Liverpool ever played the way Coco suggests last time under Dalglish - did they? Regardless: Inter also had the capacity to beat Barcelona with brilliant attacking football in the first leg of their semi-final last year, before parking the bus when being reduced to ten men demanded it. Inter were multi-dimensional, had colossal mental toughness, and had balance. Arsenal just don't have the flexibility, and I'm not sure if anyone else in Europe does.

I think the best chance of beating Barca is in a one-off final on neutral territory. Over two legs, it's not impossible, but not far off it.

More like the way Blackburn played under Dalglish really than his team at Liverpool.

Yes, I think it has to be the long ball. Hammered to a pacy left sided forward to exploit where Alves isn't.

shaun.lawson

More like the way Blackburn played under Dalglish really than his team at Liverpool.

Yes, I think it has to be the long ball. Hammered to a pacy left sided forward to exploit where Alves isn't.

Yes, that's what I thought of too. Would that work? Would it bollocks: a side playing long ball against Barca wouldn't get a touch all game, and would probably be out on their feet by half time!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

How to beat Barcelona?

Souness was saying the way to beat Barca is to survive their first phase of pressing after they have lost the ball and they will be high up the pitch so you can break away. Obviously keeping possession is easier said than done though.

Think he's right.

shaun.lawson

Souness was saying the way to beat Barca is to survive their first phase of pressing after they have lost the ball and they will be high up the pitch so you can break away. Obviously keeping possession is easier said than done though.

Think he's right.

That sounds very like how West Germany beat Holland in the 1974 World Cup Final. Keep in mind that they were at home, and a bloody good side to begin with, though.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

That sounds very like how West Germany beat Holland in the 1974 World Cup Final. Keep in mind that they were at home, and a bloody good side to begin with, though.

Think it's why Barca pinpointed Walcott as the main threat. He has the pace to go after any through balls/balls into the corner while Barca are pushing up to press the ball.

No one in the Arsenal team had that ability last night. But when you've got your captain back heeling the ball on the edge of the box you've got no chance regardless or tactics.

Gigolo-Aunt

Plus the Holland players have admitted they forgot their was a game to win and wanted to take the piss.

BOOM - they were 2-1 down and could not get back in the game.

shaun.lawson

Think it's why Barca pinpointed Walcott as the main threat. He has the pace to go after any through balls/balls into the corner while Barca are pushing up to press the ball.

No one in the Arsenal team had that ability last night. But when you've got your captain back heeling the ball on the edge of the box you've got no chance regardless or tactics.

Plus the Holland players have admitted they forgot their was a game to win and wanted to take the piss.

BOOM - they were 2-1 down and could not get back in the game.

Absolutely, GA. AP: it's also largely how Inter walloped Barca in last season's first leg. Pressing, pressing, huge pace on the counter. Plus physical and mental strength, tactical balance and composure. Arsenal can at least play on the counter - but they don't have much of the rest. Hence their failure.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

He's probably including the 4 minutes injury/added time. :thumbsup:

Aye, but only to score the one :-)

Fozzyonthefence

Barca played them off the pitch for the whole game tonight! Dominated them & looked like they were gonna care them wide open!!

As for Arsenal moaning, let's not forget the legitimate goal ruled out in the first leg & the stonewall pen tonight which wasn't given!

I was going to post exactly this. There were 3 key decisions over the 2 legs that the officials got wrong - 2 benefited Arsenal & the last one benefited Barca. Had the first 2 decisions been given correctly the tie would have been well out of Arsenal's reach anyway (probably even at 2-0 down in the first leg wouldn't have come back from that). And, of course, it's very debatable whether Arsenal would have been able to hang on even with 11 men as they weren't doing a very good job of it with 11 - personally I think Barca would have got at least the goal to take it to extra time.

So Wenger, stop your whining and face facts - your team were completely outplayed and you didn't lose because of the officials - their bad decisions only kept you in the tie until it was time to even them up a bit (although I'm sure Barca would still have rather had their perfectly good goal and penalty that Messi would have no doubt scored). To be honest, it would have been hard for East Stirling to have been outplayed any more than Arsenal were. That's one of the most one sided games I've ever seen.

Archived