Footballers in real life

Smack

jambojim1986

Got to admit ive enjoyed reading a lot of posts on this thread!

I met Gazza when he played for Rangers. I was only a wee laddie at the time. He was in Norman Preston (photographers) across the road from my old house in Stockbridge. I only noticed him go inside as he was wearing a pure white suit, subtle. I ran in my flat and got my hearts autograph book and stood chattin to Jimmy Five Bellies and Darren Jackson who were outside waiting on him. They were really sound and so was Gazza when he came out, gave me his squiggle and went in the Stockbridge bar with them two. Used to see Darren Jackson quite a lot in Stockbridge, along with that Inglis fella that played for Aberdeen.

Got taken to a player dinner type thing when I was younger as well. I was sat at Gilles Rousset's family's table. His wife and young son Lucas were there and looked embarassed when I said Gilles was a legend. He was a really nice person, as was John Roberston who was also there that night, although im sure he fancies my mum, but i was about 8 so what did I know?!

Seen David Obua walking down George Street a couple of weeks ago when I was outside Tigerlily having lunch. He had his arm slung around some young girl half his height, and seemed happy to stop and chat to people outside the bars. Also had a real hint of pink eye.

Ive seen Csaba lots of times in Edinburgh, sharp dresser.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to admit ive enjoyed reading a lot of posts on this thread!

I met Gazza when he played for Rangers. I was only a wee laddie at the time. He was in Norman Preston (photographers) across the road from my old house in Stockbridge. I only noticed him go inside as he was wearing a pure white suit, subtle. I ran in my flat and got my hearts autograph book and stood chattin to Jimmy Five Bellies and Darren Jackson who were outside waiting on him. They were really sound and so was Gazza when he came out, gave me his squiggle and went in the Stockbridge bar with them two. Used to see Darren Jackson quite a lot in Stockbridge, along with that Inglis fella that played for Aberdeen.

Got taken to a player dinner type thing when I was younger as well. I was sat at Gilles Rousset's family's table. His wife and young son Lucas were there and looked embarassed when I said Gilles was a legend. He was a really nice person, as was John Roberston who was also there that night, although im sure he fancies my mum, but i was about 8 so what did I know?!

Seen David Obua walking down George Street a couple of weeks ago when I was outside Tigerlily having lunch. He had his arm slung around some young girl half his height, and seemed happy to stop and chat to people outside the bars. Also had a real hint of pink eye.

Ive seen Csaba lots of times in Edinburgh, sharp dresser.

Gold.

I've not had too many interactions with any football players - I'm not one to stop and speak to 'celebrities' - but I remember being coached by Henry Smith, who I thought was a bit on the arrogant side. Maybe I just didn't like being told to do.

I've spoke to Craig Gordon a couple of times and he's a real nice, down to earth, quiet lad. The total opposite of what you expect a footballer to be, but I think that's quite obvious in his on-pitch attitude.

Also when I was younger I attended a Hearts training camp, we played on the pitches beside Tynecastle with the whole team. Antti Niemi, Ricardo Fuller etc. were there. Best part was, I was set up for an open goal by Steve Fulton and completely fluffed it. I reckon that's where my dreams of playing for Hearts were well and truly shattered.

I met Matt Le Tissier at the first Hearts Hall Of Fame night. I was outside smoking a tab at the same time as him & we chatted for about 10/15 minutes, diamond geezer.

The great Davie Mackay was also there & as I was waiting to get my photo with him, one of the Hearts staff tried to chase him up to go to meet some of the sponsors - Davie's reply "I'm no goin anywhere till the laddie gets his photo". Class act.

Have also been fortunate enough to meet all the below, all of whom were good guys too:

Graeme Sounness

Nicky Butt

Dave Macpherson

Gary Mackay

Walter Kidd

Mark De Vries

Alex McLeish

I met Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Paul Scholes after a United game, where our local supporters club were presenting them with various awards.

Scholesy was an utter gent, found it quite funny when I had to hunch down a bit to get a photo with him. Was very shy, can believe all the talk that he doesn't enjoy the fame aspect of being a footballer. Was more than happy to pose for photos, though.

RVN was much the same, even making a comment about how tall I was (this was when I was 16ish). He was very polite and a genuinely nice chap. Having scored a hattrick earlier that afternoon probably helped a lot, mind.

Met Paul Hartley a good few times he is an absolute gent.The day before the semi final against the wee team he personally delivered tickets to me and my mate,blethered about how confident he was of hammering them.

He is a member of the same gym as me although he is not there that often now, he is always keen to talk about Hearts and football in general. My son has been with me a couple of the times I met him and he was great with him talking about his school and the like and also posing for photies with him,nothing was too much trouble.

Met Pressley at the same gym when he was on Scotland duty about the time of the Riccarton 3.He seemed like a good sort and when I said that my son would liked to have met him and the other Jambos involved with Scotland (Robbie,PH and Craig Gordon) he arranged to meet us on the sunday and the wee man duly got to meet them and a few other players besides.

Punks No Deid

Met ex hibby full back John Brownlie at a bbq in Kinghorn. He seemed all right even tho his wife is fae Addiewell! In saying that he tried to be smart & show me a video on his phone of "that 1973" derby. My reply was pretty obvious - "bet u've no got a video of when your mob last won the big cup". :lol:

Captain Scarlett

For all you older fans like me my wife used to work in a guest house in Lygon rd which was owned by Davy Laing's sister. Anytime i would go to pick her up from work and Davy was there he would always offer us a drink from the bar (as he was having one anyway) absolute gentleman. My dad was pally with Eddie Marinello and Peter snr when they ran the Old coach Inn at canonmills,Anytime young Peter came in he was always chatty and likeable.Peter Cormack was nice anytime i spoke to him but his father in law Lottie Mackintosh was the bees knees he used to supply the tickets for the v England games at wembley via Peter who in turn got them from the English lads at liverpool cos it was all scots supporters in the 70's as a side note Lottie was a greatly decorated war hero and sadly missed.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

Met nick colgan and joe jordan in the same holiday resort in florida, both absolutely brand new. Used to get tickets off scott severin for away games, my dads good friends with eamonn bannon and hes a gentleman. Bumped into the new castle team in le monde...shay given bought a 6 grand bottle of champagne, took a drink and screwed his face and just gave it to two darlings standing next to him!

• 4 years later...
Maroon Sailor

Was in The Railway up at Juniper Green once when Scott Crabbe and Alan Redpath walked in.

Walter Kidd was behind me in the queue at the Pentland Fry chippy. Couple of hours after watching him play at Tynie. Fine diets in those days,

Joe Harper was in a bookies in Largs when I popped in to put a bet on

Bobby Charlton asked me at King's Cross confirmation of his train for Stevenage. Was the one to Edinburgh I was going for.

Harry Redknapp asked me for directions once when he was manager at West Ham

A Boy Named Crow

Was in The Railway up at Juniper Green once when Scott Crabbe and Alan Redpath walked in.

Walter Kidd was behind me in the queue at the Pentland Fry chippy. Couple of hours after watching him play at Tynie. Fine diets in those days,

Joe Harper was in a bookies in Largs when I popped in to put a bet on

Bobby Charlton asked me at King's Cross confirmation of his train for Stevenage. Was the one to Edinburgh I was going for.

Harry Redknapp asked me for directions once when he was manager at West Ham

How many pages did you have to flick through to find this thread?

FenderJaguar7

I was reading this for ages and then realised it's almost 5 years old, **** it :-

Stefano Salvatori- What a turtle neck, what a handshake. Really nice guy

Stephane Adam- Back in the day with his gf in Makro looking bored as hell, cool leather jacket though

Matt Le Tissier- Signed an autograph, was alright

Gary Mackay- Really chatty and nice to everyone growing up. Always had a smile and a wave

Rudolf Skacel- What can I say, guy signed my top and posed for a 5-1 photo? He did tell me off for not stretching the shirt enough for him to sign but that just made me laugh.

Marian Kello- Celebrated with him and Rudi at Hearts second at Easter Rd, relegation party I believe. He was a very cool nice guy.

Sam Nicholson- Met him in WhyNot. What a cool wee guy. Chatted to all the jambos, was talking away about his screamer against Hibs and having a really good laugh and drinking only water. Really good impression.

Ryan McGowan- Met him in Le Monde. He was with 3 women, went over and said "Alright Gowser" and he looked at me like i'd just **** on my hand and smeared it in his face. Was so weird. Maybe he was paranoid? Came across as a total footballer which was disappointing

Craig Beattie- Lovely big guy, full of smiles and really good laugh at Gorgie Live

Saw Juanma on Sunday- having lunch in the Chinese place opposite dickens about twenty minutes before kick off.

I sold Craig Gordon a camera when I worked as a student in a well thought of department store in Edinburgh (he was still at Hearts then). He took my advice and went for a cheaper model because it was a superior camera.

Another student job I had was in a cinema. Scott Brown came in periodically when he was back in Edinburgh seeing his friends. Times I served him he was nice and soft spoken. He'd always go for a large nachos with that manky cheese dip.

As posted many times before, my wife and I drank with Robbo most Saturday nights for about 3 years between 1996 and early 1999. He is a gentleman, is very football knowledgable and fascinating to listen to. Jim Hamilton was his favourite strike partner, not Sandy Clark as many people would expect.

Big Slim was another charming man.

Had two nights out with Paul Gascoigne (the second one he was accompanied by Alan McLaren). Gazza was hilarious and Alan was very very quiet. My mum once told Alan to go home because he had had too much to drink!

Met Bruno and Eskillson many times also. Bruno was the typical Italian man in his manner when women were around and was also very funny.

That's my main ones.

Sam Nicholson- Met him in WhyNot. What a cool wee guy. Chatted to all the jambos, was talking away about his screamer against Hibs and having a really good laugh and drinking only water. Really good impression.

Most of the times I go clubbing I only drink water too :look:

(Better places than WhyNot though :gok: )

Archived