Footballers in real life

Smack

Calum Milne !!! sound guy and a drinking buddy for many a year (mind you did coincide with the 17 in a row & 22 in a row periods).

Mickey Weir !!! around the same time had some great nights out in his company (honestly)

Alan Lawrence - when at Airdrie he was bored in the afternoon so used to work in my local (manager was his neighbour) great guy even if Airdrie did do us in 2 semi's. The semi he won with Hearts meant he could come home safely that evening.

Crabbo - Top man, stays up the road from me always got time to stop and talk about the jambos

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Number 10

Met a few Man U players from 80's growing up and was introduced to Fergie not long after he took over at Old Trafford, was polite and chatted away to us for a bit before the game. Also met Sir Matt Busby who was a true gent.

Gary Mackay lived across the road from us for a good few years, never let you go by without saying hello and his sons used to run about with my brother.

One a night out we bumped into Miko and Kingston in Bar Kohl, Kingston was a bit arrogant but to a shine to one of my pals so was chatting to her, Miko was great and my pals and I chatted to him for quite a while, was drinking a milkshake!

I was Chief Bridesmaid for my best pal the day before Hearts played Barcelona in 2007, full squad and Romanov spent the night in the Norton House where the reception was, players came down to see the bride and night reception was delayed whilst we got pictures taken with them, great memories for us to keep.

just goes to show how people see things differently, he presented flowers to a old friends widow in the summer and hung about for a while talking to the lads, he was chatty but a little shy and his girlfriend was very pretty, but I suppose you can only go by your own experiences, for instance I've met Robbo on more than one occasion and the " you should never meet your hero's" applies here with me.

not met JR but have heard similar stories from people I know who have met him, but who am I to judge. Robbo is still a hero in my book.:thumbsup:

I'm fairly pleasant and mild mannered but on a football pitch I am 100% ar**hole. We've all got perceptions of players based mostly on their behaviour on the pitch. One of my mates met Neil Lennon in a bar a few years back and said he was pretty sound.

I've met a few, Robbo is a gentleman, Jim Hamilton is down to earth, Darren Jackson was a bit of a ******.

Jamie McAllister always seemed terrified when normal people spoke to him and resorted to cliches as if he was doing a press interview.

Graeme Smith seems a bit nervous of talking about football but is quite personable, maybe a bit aloof.

David Xausa (sp?) St Johnstone, Livi and Canada was a proper weirdo.

I quite often see the Livingston lads before a game and they seem pretty well behaved.

A hibee mate once met big Gilles and said he was different class.

Anyone else got any (better!) stories of footballers in real life?

I Spoke to Blackie at a petrol station in Muselburgh he came accross really well he even said he looked at Kickback now and again. :thumbsup:

Ribery's Face

Lee Wallace is a arrogant ned outside of football, most of his mates are pondlife!!

Dont make presumptions about his mates whe you dont know any of the. ****!

Ribery's Face

Met a few Man U players from 80's growing up and was introduced to Fergie not long after he took over at Old Trafford, was polite and chatted away to us for a bit before the game. Also met Sir Matt Busby who was a true gent.

Gary Mackay lived across the road from us for a good few years, never let you go by without saying hello and his sons used to run about with my brother.

One a night out we bumped into Miko and Kingston in Bar Kohl, Kingston was a bit arrogant but to a shine to one of my pals so was chatting to her, Miko was great and my pals and I chatted to him for quite a while, was drinking a milkshake!

I was Chief Bridesmaid for my best pal the day before Hearts played Barcelona in 2007, full squad and Romanov spent the night in the Norton House where the reception was, players came down to see the bride and night reception was delayed whilst we got pictures taken with them, great memories for us to keep.

Hmmmm sounds very similar to my story haha! sleeze bag!

J Cheever Loophole

I once carried out some work for Davie Hay at his house in Giffnock and he was sound even footing my ladder for me in a short bathrobe,Ooer settle down misses,and flip flops.As he was manager of Livvy at the time he game me 2 tickets for the next Hearts game although at the game suited and booted I went tonto when Hearts equalized so much so I was removed from the guest area by the police marched round the track past the dug outs and into the Hearts end where they all though we were Plod. :woot:

Ribery's Face

Fair do's mate maybe alone he is different but with his mates hes a different man!!

But he dosnt go to gym alone?? hmmmm i think you read too much of what is said in papers...........

was at school with derek holmes hes a good guy,i delivered jose quitongos post for a while he didnt say much just laughed a lot john hillcoat stayed in the same street as him he was ok too,i work beside alloa player bryan prunty hes ok always says to come watch them and he`ll get me in for nowt but i dont want to double there attendance,met andy goram at a rangers pub on my stag night when he was at motherwell he was there with a friend of mine who was on the groundstaff he was cool he wanted everyone to sing neil diamond songs on the karaoke though :) i met jonatan johansen whilst delivering parcels in skelmorlie in ayrshire he thought it was funny that he scored against us i didnt but i was too busy trying to eye up his bird than bother what he was saying though his next parcel might take longer to get there for his cheek

• 1 month later...

The goalies, Gordon Marshall senior and junior were two very friendly gents when I spoke with them through working near them.

Pasquale Bruno - Gent

Gilles Rousset - Gent

Craig Levein - Gent

I'm not one for approaching players when I see them up town and seen a few over the years - some of whom I wished I hadn't when they made me look sober.

Others who have made me rage when seen them puffing away or drinking before a game.

The 2006 squad frequented Cargo most weeks and were all polite and accomodating.

Wayne Foster was my postman for a while.

Some days you'd get the post delivered before 8 am whilst other days, it just seemed like the postman had disappeared.

Alex Young - Good Guy - Chatty

Willie Bauld - (only ever met him in his newsagent shop) - Reserved

Davie Holt - Good Guy - Chatty

Jim Jeffries - Good Guy - Reserved

Roy Kay - Good Guy - Quiet

Gary Mackay - Good Guy - Chatty

Walter Kidd - Good Guy - Shy (surprised at that)

Sandy Jardine - Good Guy - Chatty

Derek Johnstone - or should I say "Do you know who I am?" - big head at the time

Peter Cormack - Not as quiet as I first thought - Good guy tho.

Eamonn Bannon - Good Guy - Reserved

Robbo - Legend

Gary Locke - Good Guy - Chatty

Met Andy goram in the cross keys in Selkirk one night about 15 years ago.I went for a piss and found him sleeping in the urinal.next day he was in linlithgow court getting banned from driving.

Bumped into Jimmy Sandison a couple of months ago.

What a fecking dobber he turned out to be.

Malcolm Tucker

Obua, Cesnauskis, Jonsson, Berra - good lads.

Sol Bamba - Legend.

Zaliukas - total unit.

Graham Stack - defo rapist.

Danny Galbraith - sound guy.

Anthony Stokes - :facepalm:

Bumped into Marian Kello up town. Good lad.

Kello and Rudi are top boys from my bumpings into them at the hockey. Good pals with our team captain, Martin Cingel.:thumbsup:

Have met Neil Lennon and am more than happy to report that he is, as we all know, a piece of shit.

Met Martin O'Neill (same night I think, though my brain doesn't work in a timeline!) and was saddened to find him a totall gent!! Didn't and still don't like him but now only don't like the on telly/football O'Neill! Unlike Lennon who I hope's bum caves in.

Met loads of players, coaches etc. Can't think of any jambos I've been disappointed by. From Hibs, used to see Paul Kane and Goram a fair bit when i was a bairn (dinny ask!) and they were great. Used to rip me rotten for being a jambo but I used to love it.

Can also confirm that Hugh Dallas is a surprisingly good laugh and has some great stories to tell - top banter actually!!

Jambomullins

Riordan and his mates are scum. I saw them out in town one night and he caught sight of my Jambos tattoo and started giving me abuse. He went quiet when I asked him outside for a square go though. Met Wallace & Driver recently and they seemed cool.

Hate to say it but Robbo has always appeared like he couldn't be arsed. Met Maybury and Kisnorbo on george street. Maybury bit of a prick but Kisnorbo was sound. Scott Crabbe = Legend.

Best i've met though was Paul Mcstay & Scott Severin, total gentlemen.

Riordan and his mates are scum. I saw them out in town one night and he caught sight of my Jambos tattoo and started giving me abuse. He went quiet when I asked him outside for a square go though. Met Wallace & Driver recently and they seemed cool.

Hate to say it but Robbo has always appeared like he couldn't be arsed. Met Maybury and Kisnorbo on george street. Maybury bit of a prick but Kisnorbo was sound. Scott Crabbe = Legend.

Best i've met though was Paul Mcstay & Scott Severin, total gentlemen.

Met Robbo and know loads who have and he's a gent. No big head atall and always includes "outsiders" in conversation. GC.

Met a few of the current squad at the David Lloyd:

David Obua - really friendly and a very nice chatty guy.

Lee Wallace - seen him a couple of times, always surrounded by a load of pals. Very hesitant/shy and a man of few words but fine once he knows you're a Jambo. Was playing tennis on the court beside me once so I asked him for a game of tennis but he said he was "murder".

Ismael Bouzid - very friendly and seems a really good guy but his English isn't that great.

Rubennumber1

Met Neil McCann in a shop a couple of weeks ago and he was great chat. Said scoring two for Dundee was great but he couldn't stay for rest of the season because they can't sign anyone but he was interested in a coaching role maybe. Said hearts should have been 3-0 up at half time in the last derby too.

JamboJohninUSA

Met Craig Levien outside St Johnstone walking in the parkin lot with his wife.. Andy Roxburgh is a ###### for leaving you out of the Scotland Squad.. Craig smiled and replied Thats what i told him and thats why im not being picked.. Top Bloke.. Wee Robbo Great guy Perf gentleman

\

Wee Robbo has been fantastic anytime I've met him.

John Colquhoun went above and beyond the call of duty when he took me and two drunken mates for a beer after a game at Sunderland when we bumped into him outside Roker Park.

Dave McPherson's a good guy.

Used to drink in Skippers in Musselburgh - Jackie McNamamra and Ralph Callachan are both decent guys as were Willie Jamieson and the late Bobby Smith who both worked/drank there at various times.

Dave MacKay as has been said by everybody here who has met him is an absolute gentleman, spoke to him for over an hour In Staggs in Musselburgh one day (I knew his brother-in-law who was a regular) - really nice bloke - talking to him about Clough, Derby etc. but it's the Hearts that he loves.

Mr Brightside

Best of the best though is big John Brough, total gentleman.

Going on a stag do this weekend and John Brough is in the group. Word of advice never go in a round with John Brough, the guy can't half drink, tells great stories too, would be a good after dinner speaker in my opinion.

Wee Robbo has been fantastic anytime I've met him.

John Colquhoun went above and beyond the call of duty when he took me and two drunken mates for a beer after a game at Sunderland when we bumped into him outside Roker Park.

Dave McPherson's a good guy.

Used to drink in Skippers in Musselburgh - Jackie McNamamra and Ralph Callachan are both decent guys as were Willie Jamieson and the late Bobby Smith who both worked/drank there at various times.

Dave MacKay as has been said by everybody here who has met him is an absolute gentleman, spoke to him for over an hour In Staggs in Musselburgh one day (I knew his brother-in-law who was a regular) - really nice bloke - talking to him about Clough, Derby etc. but it's the Hearts that he loves.

What were you daein in Skippers?! I'm tellin Nigel!

Alan Johnson

Only met Robbo once but he was much friendlier and chattier to me than most on here suggested, could be cause he was spending about 50 quid in Victoria Wine at the time though!

Met Robert Tomaschek a few times playing golf, nice guy but a bit shy, always seemed genuinely upset about the time he missed for us with injuries.

David Obua's a great guy, completely nuts though.

Met Jamie Mole on a night out once, he was pretty quiet but his mates kept slagging him about how he ever got a contract at Hearts! :lol:

Nelly Terraces

I ran past Laszlo up at the canal near Fountainbridge about an hour ago. He looked donald ducked, and has a very poor running style.

End of post.

I met Robbo and Iain Ferguson (while at Rangers, pre-Bayern) in an abbatoir.

:unsure:

Odd place for a meating ;)

Robbie used to live up by my folks, good lad always happy to chat.

PsychocAndy

Met the Legendary Gordon Smith, the real one.

My great Aunty Kate had a 89th party in her house, had 2 season tickets for Easter Road during the F5 era and would take my mum with her. Their favourite player was Gordon Smith.

His brother was a member of Torphien Hill golf club, as is my uncle, and arranged for him to be the surprise guest at Kate's party.

Shit weather that day and he had to follow the snow plough in from North Berwick. A total and utter Gentleman of the highest order. He came in and shock hands with everyone before going to sit and talk to Kate for an age. Then went to talk to all of us in the room and just as he got to me Kate shouts "Don't bother with him He's one of those Hearts fans. He came over and told me he hated Hearts as a boy but made the best decision of his, footballing, life, when he signed for us, as everyone made him feel at home right away. He even talked about Drogadea(sp).

Only heard about the mans footballing skills from older family members and they praised him to the skies but the man himself eclisped that by light-years.

I ran past Laszlo up at the canal near Fountainbridge about an hour ago. He looked donald ducked, and has a very poor running style.

End of post.

You should have pushed the **** in.

Met the Legendary Gordon Smith, the real one.

My great Aunty Kate had a 89th party in her house, had 2 season tickets for Easter Road during the F5 era and would take my mum with her. Their favourite player was Gordon Smith.

His brother was a member of Torphien Hill golf club, as is my uncle, and arranged for him to be the surprise guest at Kate's party.

Shit weather that day and he had to follow the snow plough in from North Berwick. A total and utter Gentleman of the highest order. He came in and shock hands with everyone before going to sit and talk to Kate for an age. Then went to talk to all of us in the room and just as he got to me Kate shouts "Don't bother with him He's one of those Hearts fans. He came over and told me he hated Hearts as a boy but made the best decision of his, footballing, life, when he signed for us, as everyone made him feel at home right away. He even talked about Drogadea(sp).

Only heard about the mans footballing skills from older family members and they praised him to the skies but the man himself eclisped that by light-years.

End of post.

Gordon Strachan ran past me in Holyrood Park this morning, he looked a bit goosed too,

PsychocAndy

Gordon Smith was a big jambo as a boy

Really, he must have been playing the crowd then, well my Great aunty Kate then. I'm sure one of the cousins videoed it I check with her sometime.

Jambosr1985

Funny enough he said to me that he met this Hearts supporter from up where you live in Baberton, what a toss pot he said, knew **** all about the Hearts, it did not surprise me, how anyone can get offended by JS beggars belief.

Really, he must have been playing the crowd then, well my Great aunty Kate then. I'm sure one of the cousins videoed it I check with her sometime.

Definitely one that got away

Met a few, Locke, Pospisil & Karapidis are all brand new.

Ian Murray is as much a wan-ker in real life as he is on the park.

My mate palled about with Oumar Konde and says he was sound, even got him singing o the hibees r gay

Funny enough he said to me that he met this Hearts supporter from up where you live in Baberton, what a toss pot he said, knew **** all about the Hearts, it did not surprise me, how anyone can get offended by JS beggars belief.

Oh hai Jimmy :wavey:

Oh hai Jimmy :wavey:

Was in bacaro on sat night, Eggert was there with his pal, blethered away with me and my mate for ages, offered us drinks and was singing "tell all the hibs you know...." in the toilet, unprompted by us! Good lad.

heartgarfunkel

Going on a stag do this weekend and John Brough is in the group. Word of advice never go in a round with John Brough, the guy can't half drink, tells great stories too, would be a good after dinner speaker in my opinion.

Have gone in a round with John in Broadies on a couple of occasions and each time have regretted it. Absolutely power hoovers the pints. His tale of taking on the rugby league players at the sporting injury clinic bar at drinking is fabulously funny. As Barney Battles says, he is a total gentleman, one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Best tash in Western Christendom.

Guest C00l K1d

One of my pals (who's a tic) met lennon a couple of weeks ago and said he's just as big an arsehole in person. This was at some sort of fundraiser his dad put on and all the players were there so it wasn't like he was hassling him in the street.

''Met'' derek riordan once, and managed to get a chase of him and his mates :lol:

tartofmidlothian

Spoke to Mickey Cameron a couple of times when he used to drink at Kitty's in Kirkcaldy while he was with us. Really friendly guy, seemed a bit shy but happy to talk to enthusiastic Jambos.

My uni class had their Christmas party at Three Sisters a good few years back, the same night as the Hearts squad:

Mickey could barely stand by the look of him.

Thomas Flogel is one suave b******, looked like a Bourne baddie in his leather jacket and polo neck.

Robbie Neilson was surrounded by admiring girls, they couldn't get enough of him.

Spoke to Scott Severin. Shy, not very chatty.

Spoke to Grant Murray. Shy, really nice guy.

Dirk Lehmann was wearing full drag, stockings, suspenders, make up, the works. Typical Hobo.

Also ended up chanting Ricky Fuller's name at him along the Cowgate with some random Jambos I'd never met one night. He was loving it, smiling and waving and applauding us.

One of my pals (who's a tic) met lennon a couple of weeks ago and said he's just as big an arsehole in person. This was at some sort of fundraiser his dad put on and all the players were there so it wasn't like he was hassling him in the street.

''Met'' derek riordan once, and managed to get a chase of him and his mates :lol:

Can confirm. Was at a table next to me at a dinner and his behaviour was atrocious. TOtal welt of a man.

Archived