NFL. Play-Offs Looming (2010 New Thread)

Tom Heaney

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fat Rex seems lost for words for once! :pleasing:

Geoff, Thought you might like this picture. It was on the Boston Dirt Dogs section of the Globe website, it carried a caption along the lines of

"Hate To Rub It In The Patriots Can Just Relax Going Into the Playoffs While Rex Is Just Happy to Get His Foot in the Door....................Unfortunately for the Jets, the Road to Dallas Goes Through Foxborough"

post-1874-0-27108900-1293642442_thumb.jpg

Geoff, Thought you might like this picture. It was on the Boston Dirt Dogs section of the Globe website, it carried a caption along the lines of

"Hate To Rub It In The Patriots Can Just Relax Going Into the Playoffs While Rex Is Just Happy to Get His Foot in the Door....................Unfortunately for the Jets, the Road to Dallas Goes Through Foxborough"

post-1874-0-27108900-1293642442_thumb.jpg

Yep and when we march right thro that small backwater maybe then you'll realise the Jets are the coming team and losing so heavily was just part of a larger plan. :whistling:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Yep and when we march right thro that small backwater maybe then you'll realise the Jets are the coming team and losing so heavily was just part of a larger plan. :whistling:

The Jests will be doing well to beat the Chiefs!

AFC

1st Seed New England

2nd Seed Pittsburgh

3rd Seed Kansas

4th Seed Jacksonville

5th Seed Baltimore

6th Seed New York Jests

Jests Over Kansas

Baltimore Over Jacksonville

New England Over Jests

Baltimore Over Pittsburgh

New England Over Baltimore

AFC Champs New England

-------------------------------------------

NFC

1st Seed Atlanta

2nd Seed Philadelphia

3rd Seed Green Bay

4th Seed St Louis

5th Seed New Orleans

6th Seed New York Giants

Green Bay Over New York Giants

St Louis Over New Orleans

Atlanta Over St Louis

Philadelphia Over Green Bay

Philadelphia Over Atlanta

NFC Champs Philadelphia

Will leave my Superbowl prediction till I see how wrong I get the rest of my guesses but you all know what it would be anyway :santa4:

AFC. Got 5 of the 6 right, Jacksonville out Colts in. Not too shabby. Predictions for next weekend would be Colts over the Jests and Ravens over Chiefs.

NFC. 4 out of 6 right, not so good :whistling: Seatlle with a 7-9 record get in WTF Anyway for next week that leaves The Saints at Seattle and Packers at Eagles. I'll go for The Saints and Philly to progress

Geoff Kilpatrick

Interesting that the wildcards (with the exception of the Jests, natch) look stronger than their divisional opponents.

The Ravens @ Patriots potential matchup in the divisional round could be huge.

Well done to the Seahawks for scraping through, always nice to make the postseason but it really only means another defeat to the Saints and a worse position in the draft order. Still anything can happen, so let's hope it does. :thumbsup:

seattle-seahawks-sea-gals-cheerleaders-2008-1Hp7yt.jpg

rossthejambo

Having just used http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&13=45010555&14=54504044&15=00441554&16=05000014

AFC:

1st Seed : Patriots (unsurprisingly)

2nd Seed : Steelers

Wildcards

Jets @ Chiefs

Ravens @ Colts

NFC

1st seed - Falcons

2nd seed - Eagles

Wildcards

Buccaneers @ Bears

Giants @ Seattle

6/6 AFC

4/6 NFC

Might have got the match ups wrong but think I've done not too badly there.

I'm still going for the Patriots for the Superbowl.

alwaysthereinspirit

Hoboesque post. Jets also wear green.

Jeez, this guy is a crackpot, here he is, has a huge play-off game this weekend and he still wants to discuss the Patriots. I have news for you Rex, The Patriots are not even playing this weekend far less playing The Jesters. You see they got a bye weekend on the strength of winning the division again. Seems we are in your head buddy boy. Looks like its a trait with all things Jests, fans and management alike, they open their gub before really thinking if they have anything to back it up

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/01/rex_ryan_opens.html

Sterling Archer

"There's nobody like this guy in the league. Nobody studies like him and all that. I know Brady thinks he does and all that stuff, but I think there's a little more help from Belichick with Brady than there is with Peyton Manning. I mean, [former Colts offensive coordinator] Tom Moore has done a great job with him forever, [Jim] Caldwell and Tony Dungy and things like that, but it's Peyton Manning. That's who it is," he said.

While I do think there was no need for him to bring Brady into the discussion (as you say they aren't playing this week), the gist of what Rex has said is correct. I think it's unfair of him to say Brady doesn't study as hard as Manning, however, it is the case that Brady receives more help when they're on the field. Brady has all of his plays (bar the 2min drill) called in from his OC, Manning on the other hand is his own OC and has made Tom Moore's role pretty redundant over the past decade.

This isn't a go at Brady as I believe he has the ability to do this too, in his current situation though he doesn't. I also find it amusing/ironic how often Pats fans on here go out of there way to point out that the Jets are obsessed with them, especially with the petty name calling, we're all grown ups here.

Now...onto some predictions for this weekend.

Jets over Colts (don't want to predict a score): One of the keys to this game is definitely the play of the Jets NB Kyle Wilson. In last year's game Revis was able to take away Wayne but Manning just decided to go to Garcon, Collie and Clark. The Jets added Cromartie for specifically this type of situation, if he can cover Garcon then that will force Manning to go underneath. The nickel hsa been one of the Jets biggest weaknesses this year and I think that's where the game will be won and lost. Fortunately for the Jets it's not Collie and Clark this year but UDFA Blair White and Jacob Tamme. Both are good players but not on the same level as the people they're replacing.

I think if Sanchez can protect the ball and the Jets can take control of the Colts notoriously weak run D then they should be able to keep Manning off the field and they might just sneak this.

Ravens over Chiefs: Don't feel confident about this pick at all. Arrowhead is a difficult place to play and the Ravens O hasn't been great in recent weeks. I still see them sneaking this though. If the Chiefs are to get the win then they have to force the ball to Jamaal Charles, otherwise I don't think they've got a shot.

Packers over Eagles: By far the most difficult game to call, if Vick plays like he did against Minnesota this could be ugly, however if he plays like he did against Washington we could see a game like AZ vs GB from last year. Vick's had a lot of trouble reading blitzes lately and facing a D that includes Matthews, Woodson and Williams could be problematic.

Saints over Seahawks (but not by much): With all the injuries the Saints have (Graham, Thomas, Ivory etc) this game could be a lot closer than many expect. I think Carroll is making a mistake giving the start to Hass but so be it. In the end I expect the Saints quality to show through but I think at least for a period this game will be close.

Really like to hear others thoughts on this weeks games?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Colts beat Jests - Peyton Womanning won't be pressured as the Jests much hailed pass rush has been non-existent. Plus putting Reggie Wayne on 'Revis Island' won't bother Womanning and Sanchez flatters to deceive. 27-17 Colts

Ravens beat Chiefs - As a Pats fan, I would prefer this result to be the other way round but I can't see it. It will be a battle but the Ravens are slightly better. 17-10 Ravens

Saints beat Seahawks - Home advantage for the 'Hawks makes this closer than expected, particularly with Brees throwing INTs for fun but they will squeak it. 27-24 Saints

Packers beat Eagles - I think the Packers are the best equipped NFC team despite being the #6 seed. They close Vick down and win easily. 31-14 Packers

"There's nobody like this guy in the league. Nobody studies like him and all that. I know Brady thinks he does and all that stuff, but I think there's a little more help from Belichick with Brady than there is with Peyton Manning. I mean, [former Colts offensive coordinator] Tom Moore has done a great job with him forever, [Jim] Caldwell and Tony Dungy and things like that, but it's Peyton Manning. That's who it is," he said.

While I do think there was no need for him to bring Brady into the discussion (as you say they aren't playing this week), the gist of what Rex has said is correct. I think it's unfair of him to say Brady doesn't study as hard as Manning, however, it is the case that Brady receives more help when they're on the field. Brady has all of his plays (bar the 2min drill) called in from his OC, Manning on the other hand is his own OC and has made Tom Moore's role pretty redundant over the past decade.

This isn't a go at Brady as I believe he has the ability to do this too, in his current situation though he doesn't. I also find it amusing/ironic how often Pats fans on here go out of there way to point out that the Jets are obsessed with them, especially with the petty name calling, we're all grown ups here.

Now...onto some predictions for this weekend.

Jets over Colts (don't want to predict a score): One of the keys to this game is definitely the play of the Jets NB Kyle Wilson. In last year's game Revis was able to take away Wayne but Manning just decided to go to Garcon, Collie and Clark. The Jets added Cromartie for specifically this type of situation, if he can cover Garcon then that will force Manning to go underneath. The nickel hsa been one of the Jets biggest weaknesses this year and I think that's where the game will be won and lost. Fortunately for the Jets it's not Collie and Clark this year but UDFA Blair White and Jacob Tamme. Both are good players but not on the same level as the people they're replacing.

I think if Sanchez can protect the ball and the Jets can take control of the Colts notoriously weak run D then they should be able to keep Manning off the field and they might just sneak this.

Ravens over Chiefs: Don't feel confident about this pick at all. Arrowhead is a difficult place to play and the Ravens O hasn't been great in recent weeks. I still see them sneaking this though. If the Chiefs are to get the win then they have to force the ball to Jamaal Charles, otherwise I don't think they've got a shot.

Packers over Eagles: By far the most difficult game to call, if Vick plays like he did against Minnesota this could be ugly, however if he plays like he did against Washington we could see a game like AZ vs GB from last year. Vick's had a lot of trouble reading blitzes lately and facing a D that includes Matthews, Woodson and Williams could be problematic.

Saints over Seahawks (but not by much): With all the injuries the Saints have (Graham, Thomas, Ivory etc) this game could be a lot closer than many expect. I think Carroll is making a mistake giving the start to Hass but so be it. In the end I expect the Saints quality to show through but I think at least for a period this game will be close.

Really like to hear others thoughts on this weeks games?

My understanding of the game and having a QB, a Offensive Co-Ordinator and Head Coach was for the most part they work as a team, maybe thats why Brady has 4 SB appearances and 3 rings, compare that to the lone ranger Manning. As great as Manning is and as many records as he has, Brady has the rings, thanks to his team.

As for the petty name calling of The Jests and their fans, go trawl back the archives and you will see why that started and anyway, Girder Gub Ryan is hard to ignore when he gives you the ammo the way he does

As for this weekend, for me it looks like Saints, Ravens Eagles and Colts. Couple of the teams in the mix this weekend are lucky to be there (Packers and Seahawks) and it may be the end of the road for them

rossthejambo

Decent start to the play offs, Saints go 17-7 up and then the Seahawks reply with 17 unanswered points. Defensively not the best game but not bad entertainment-wise.

Been a pretty good game, 20-24 is a very good score going in at halftime for Seahawks. :thumbsup:

rossthejambo

Not going to lie, thought when the Saints went 17-7 up I thought they'd win easy but the Seahawks have done well.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Another TD for the Seahawks! Surely they aren't going to do what the Cards did a couple of seasons ago?

Another TD for the Seahawks! Surely they aren't going to do what the Cards did a couple of seasons ago?

I certainly hope so. thumbsup.gif

'Mon the Shitehawks Seahawks!

rossthejambo

Hasselbeck's pulling off some decent passes. Poor defence from the Saints' perspective though.

rossthejambo

I can only hope that Jets @ Colts is as good as this game, I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The Saints deserved that for chickening out on 4th down. The field goal was pointless when you are that close. Go for it!

Well done Seahawks!

The Saints deserved that for chickening out on 4th down. The field goal was pointless when you are that close. Go for it!

Well done Seahawks!

Brilliant stuff.

Hasselbeck blocking 30 yards down the field from the snap. thumbsup.gif

rossthejambo

Great game. Nothing quite like the underdog winning big.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Jets but I really don't like Manning so hope that the Jets can win in the next game.

Didn't want to jinx it, but I had ?5 on Seattle as well.

seahawksvsaints.jpg

Not a bad little win, considering NFL odds are quite poor on betshan.

Sterling Archer

seahawksvsaints.jpg

What was the spread? I'd heard as much as 10.5 NO at the start of the week!

rossthejambo

seahawksvsaints.jpg

Nice bit of betting there chum. thumbsup.gif

I certainly wouldn't have backed them.

What was the spread? I'd heard as much as 10.5 NO at the start of the week!

Na, just straight up Winner. Had 'One of these feelings' that I get every single time we play the OF sides, you know what I mean. More wanting it than expecting.

Still, I think this has maybe bought Seattle a bit more respect. I'd have hated for the first team in NFL history to go in the playoffs with a losing record to get mauled like everyone expected, now they've got some well deserved respect after that and won't go down as a massive joke.

Sterling Archer

Na, just straight up Winner. Had 'One of these feelings' that I get every single time we play the OF sides, you know what I mean. More wanting it than expecting.

Still, I think this has maybe bought Seattle a bit more respect. I'd have hated for the first team in NFL history to go in the playoffs with a losing record to get mauled like everyone expected, now they've got some well deserved respect after that and won't go down as a massive joke.

I know exactly what you mean. Just read something funny, Seattle would need to win the superbowl to end up with a winning record this year laugh.gif

rossthejambo

It's on Sky Sports 2.

:verysmug:

laugh.gif

What a dick......almost exactly what I was going to say as well.

I'm a pov. dry.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

I can never find NFL streams, you tried myp2p?

Sterling Archer

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

I can never find NFL streams, you tried myp2p?

Ah don't worry, you're first round pick from next year will cover it thumbsup.gif

Managed to find one eventually, quite stable too.

No thumbsup.gif

I think you'll find it was, check the transactions. If you've got a First round, it wasn't from me.

179.Saughton Seahawks / Kaunas BuckeyesTrade

Sterling Archer

I think you'll find it was, check the transactions. If you've got a First round, it wasn't from me.

179.Saughton Seahawks / Kaunas BuckeyesTrade

That was my point thumbsup.gif I'd be taking your first for your cheek. laugh.gif

That was my point thumbsup.gif I'd be taking your first for your cheek. :lol:

Oh.

Well, the 5 minutes you made me waste pulling up the trade history should be compensation enough. :lol:

Sterling Archer

Oh.

Well, the 5 minutes you made me waste pulling up the trade history should be compensation enough. :lol:

We'll call it evens.thumbsup.gif

dobmisterdobster

Well done Seahawks!

Is the Madden Curse real?

Archived