NFL. Play-Offs Looming (2010 New Thread)

Tom Heaney

J.T.F.Robertson

Nervous breakdown city, that second half was for me. :o

The Pack will be favourites, but the Steelers will like it that way. :thumbsup:

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really don't see why the Packers are favourites.

Think everyone agreed the AFC was much stronger this year; the Steelers were a number two seed and the Packers were number six; the steelers have had a bye-week recently where as the Packers have kept going; the Steelers' QB has played in (and won) two Superbowls and the head coach has won one; neither Rodgers or McCarthy have even been to the Superbowl.

I'm not saying they won't win. Rodgers is a tremendous QB and they have a lot of top players on defense but I don't think that should make them favourites.

Sterling Archer

Really don't see why the Packers are favourites.

The trenches, with Pitt losing Pouncey there o-line took another hammering and that's got a lot to do with the odds.

Nucky Thompson

The trenches, with Pitt losing Pouncey there o-line took another hammering and that's got a lot to do with the odds.

They were 13/8 favourites to win the Superbowl before the Weekend Championship games

Sterling Archer

They were 13/8 favourites to win the Superbowl before the Weekend Championship games

Hmm, interesting. I'm stumped!

I don't agree, far from it in fact. There is much more strength and depth in the NFC.

Brian, The standings didnt really show that (I know thats not a perfect science) 4 of the top 5 were AFC. Green Bay have lived up to their pre-season promise but not even the most die hard Packers fan would have seen this outcome after week 10 or 12. I have a couple of friends in the States who follow Green bay and they were tearing their hair out as the season went on. But hats off to them, just as The Pats were the form team going into the Play-Offs Green Bay are now the form team thru the play-offs going into the big one. Pats didn't live up to their billing here's hoping for you that the Packers can. Gonna be a tight one and hopefully a good one

Tom

It is all a matter of opinions, which is why the statement was absolute rubbish.

my view comes from the fact that going into the playoffs it looked very much like that Pats were going to win the AFC with only the Steelers to stop them, but the NFC could have been by anyone of 5 playoff teams.

If next week is anything like last years meeting @ Pittsburgh then its going to be a great game for you neutrals.

Fair point Brian and it is about opinions and that is probably why a lot of opinions (including USA Pundits) were based on what the standings were. You could argue that the reason the NFC was more undeceided was because there were more "ordinary" teams (only 1 team with more than 11 wins) The AFC have certainly seemed to dominate since 2000, winning 7 of 11 Superbowls.

Anyway onwards and upwards to the game, I know that its great to look forward to and even better to win. My heart says I hope its a gunslinging contest between the QB's but as is often the case it may be all about the running game with perhaps one big throw winning it for either side

Sterling Archer
  1. Carolina (2-14) NFC
  2. Denver (4-12) AFC
  3. Buffalo (4-12) AFC
  4. Cincinnati (4-12) AFC
  5. Arizona (5-11) NFC
  6. Cleveland (5-11) AFC
  7. San Francisco (6-10) NFC
  8. Tennessee (6-10) AFC
  9. Dallas (6-10) NFC
  10. Washington (6-10) NFC
  11. Houston (6-10) AFC
  12. Minnesota (6-10) NFC
  13. Detroit (6-10) NFC
  14. St. Louis (7-9) NFC
  15. Miami (7-9) AFC
  16. Jacksonville (8-8) AFC
  17. New England - from Oakland (8-8) AFC
  18. San Diego (9-7) AFC
  19. New York Giants (10-6) NFC
  20. Tampa Bay (10-6) NFC
  21. Kansas City* (10-6) AFC
  22. Indianapolis* (10-6) AFC
  23. Philadelphia* (10-6) NFC
  24. New Orleans* (11-5) NFC
  25. Seattle* (7-9) NFC
  26. Baltimore* (12-4) AFC
  27. Atlanta* (13-3) NFC
  28. New England* (14-2) AFC
  29. Chicago* (11-5) NFC
  30. New York Jets* (11-5) AFC
  31. Green Bay* (10-6) NFC
  32. Pittsburgh* (12-4) AFC

FWIW I'd say that as always it's pretty even, AFC seems to have more excellent but also more totally rubbish teams. As this order takes into account SOS amongst other things it's probably a good guide.

It is all a matter of opinions, which is why the statement was absolute rubbish.

my view comes from the fact that going into the playoffs it looked very much like that Pats were going to win the AFC with only the Steelers to stop them, but the NFC could have been by anyone of 5 playoff teams. />

I've heard it mentioned many times thoughout the year that there looked to be more "elite" teams from the AFC. Not that I neccesarily agreed with that but it appeared to be the general consensus amongst the "experts". That same consensus goes into deciding the favourites, which has suddenly switched from the number two seed in the AFC to the number six in the NFC. I just can't understand why.

Again, I'm not saying the Packers won't win. Just very surprised they are the favourites.

The fact they're favorites at the Bookies might just be that they have more people backing them rather than being the pundits pick.

Of course, I had forgotten about that. But again I'd doubt there'd be that much backing from the punters to elevate them to 'favoruites' status. Suppose it is possible though.

Archived