team names nothing to do with location

1williegibson

1williegibson

West Brom/Ham??

Aston Villa?

Crystal Palace?

Leyton Orient?

Could all be wrong.

west bromwich is a large town outside brum.

west ham is an area of london

aston is an area near brum

crystal palace is in london

leyton orient are in leytonstone in london

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think alot of folk are missing the point. By saying [insert team name] play at a stadium in [stadium location] you are merely finding a loophole. When the clubs still clearly have their names based on surrounding areas.

In N.Irish senior football Chimey Corner FC would be a better example. They play in Antrim and are named after a book.

West Brom/Ham??

Aston Villa?

Crystal Palace?

Leyton Orient?

Could all be wrong.

Your wrong about Leyton Orient mate.

I live near the town or the area of London called Leyton

West Brom/Ham??

Aston Villa?

Crystal Palace?

Leyton Orient?

Could all be wrong.

West Bromwich is part of the West Midlands Conurbation centred on Birmingham, Frank Skinner says it appears on his birth certificate so he felt he had no choice. Aston is a part of Birmingham proper (Where Aston Martins originally come from)

West Ham is on the Hammersmith & City, The area of Crystal Palace in south east London got it's name from the structure built for the great exhibition,

And Leyton Orient play in Leyton, East (Oriental) London

Hibernian

'hybernia' is actually the old Latin/roman name for Ireland.

Shows that they are really just Celtic's annoying wee cousins.

They should be called Ireland FC :thumbsup:

portobellojambo1

Arsenal: named after a royal arms factory I believe.

I think Arsenal were originally based in Woolwich, which is where the Royal arsenal was based, hence the name chosen

Tranmere Rovers?

I don't know if there's an area of Birkenhead called Tranmere.

Birkenhead is the home of Tranmere Rovers F.C., a professional football team who play at Prenton Park near the Tranmere area of the town.

Per Wiki

portobellojambo1

The battle of Raith was near Kirkcaldy and I believe that's where they take the name from, despite Raith Estate being part of Kirkcaldy it is generally quite a newish scheme so nothing to do with the team :thumbsup:

St Mirren

Named after the patron saint of Paisley, the saint's name was Saint Mirin or St Mirrin (summink like that).

Charlton Athletic

I wondered about whether this was an area of London, then read this: :lol:

In the early 18th century, Charlton was described by Daniel Defoe as:

a village famous, or rather infamous for the yearly collected rabble of mad-people, at Horn-Fair; the rudeness of which I cannot but think, is such as ought to be suppressed, and indeed in a civiliz'd well govern'd nation, it may well be said to be unsufferable. The mob indeed at that time take all kinds of liberties, and the women are especially impudent for that day; as if it was a day that justify'd the giving themselves a loose to all manner of indecency and immodesty, without any reproach, or without suffering the censure which such behaviour would deserve at another time. (from A Tour through Great Britain)

So it's in Leith then???

portobellojambo1

Do Manchester United play in the city of Manchester

ah no they play in Trafford is that in the city ?

Man U are based in Salford, which is part of the Greater Manchester conurbation (as are places like Bury and Stockport as far as I'm aware)

Birkenhead is the home of Tranmere Rovers F.C., a professional football team who play at Prenton Park near the Tranmere area of the town.

Per Wiki

Fair enough. :thumbsup:

Stenhousemuir play in Larbert.

No they don't their grounds in Stenhousemuir at the bottom of Tryst Road, other end of the roads in Larbert

Spartans.

I think they are, East of Scotland seniors. :unsure:

you are right. They are a senior side, just not a league side. So they qualify in my book.

Anyway how about St Liedown?

Hearts are from Midlothian. (for the lot who don`t know much about their team! :whistling: )

Hearts are from Edinburgh (for the lot who don't know much about their team! :whistling: )

Edinburgh is not in Midlothian (for the lot who don't know much about their Capital city! :whistling: )

:thumb:

Again people are missing the point of this thread.

It's not whether the location in the team name is exactly where the team plays. It is to do with team names that have absolutely nothing to do with location.

Hearts Heritage

Granted, but we were named after the dancehall, rather than the novel.

:unsure:

Possibly or Probably due to the Novel's popularity there were lots of entities called 'Heart of Mid-lothian' around that time.

southside1874

It's not whether the location in the team name is exactly where the team plays. It is to do with team names that have absolutely nothing to do with location.

That fooks Spartans argument named after the folk from Sparta.

OK , hows aboot Forrest Green

Archived