team names nothing to do with location

1williegibson

Hearts are from Edinburgh (for the lot who don't know much about their team! :whistling: )

Edinburgh is not in Midlothian (for the lot who don't know much about their Capital city! :whistling: )

:thumb:http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=1&t=82522&qpid=1919833

Hearts were formed in 1874 (For those who are utterly ignorant about their team)

Edinnburgh was in Midlothian in 1874 (For those who don't know as much about their capital city as they think they do)

And BTW Glasgow Celtic and Edinburgh Hibernian shouldn't count any more than Spurs. Rangers on the other hand never felt the need to specify that they were from Govan just as the English Football Association calls itself "The Football Association".

And before anyone mentions them

Saint Mirin is the patron saint of Paisley

John the baptist is the patron saint of Perth, "Saint John's Town"

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again people are missing the point of this thread.

It's not whether the location in the team name is exactly where the team plays. It is to do with team names that have absolutely nothing to do with location.

Exactly! See my earlier post:

I think alot of folk are missing the point. By saying [insert team name] play at a stadium in [stadium location] you are merely finding a loophole. When the clubs still clearly have their names based on surrounding areas.

In N.Irish senior football Chimey Corner FC would be a better example. They play in Antrim and are named after a book.

So other than my suggestion of Chimney Corner and perhaps the clubs founded by companies (i.e Vauxhall Motors FC who play in Ellemeres Port, Cheshire and already mentioned TNS and Airbus) I don't think there will be many more.

OK , hows aboot Forrest Green

Nope.

From Forrest Green Rovers official site:

"The Club began their life in the Hamlet of Forest Green in October 1889"

Edinnburgh was in Midlothian in 1874 (For those who don't know as much about their capital city as they think they do)

Expert I certainly ain't! :thumb:

My understanding was always that the Bourgh of Edinburgh / City of Edinburgh was always completely separate (although abutting) Mid Lothian.

Is that wrong? :unsure:

Expert I certainly ain't! :thumb:

My understanding was always that the Bourgh of Edinburgh / City of Edinburgh was always completely separate (although abutting) Mid Lothian.

Is that wrong? :unsure:

from wiki but im pretty sure its correct:

'The County of Midlothian used for local government purposes formerly encompassed the city of Edinburgh'

MacDonald Jardine

Hearts were formed in 1874 (For those who are utterly ignorant about their team)

And BTW Glasgow Celtic and Edinburgh Hibernian shouldn't count any more than Spurs. Rangers on the other hand never felt the need to specify that they were from Govan just as the English Football Association calls itself "The Football Association".

Celtic aren't officially known as Glasgow Celtic any more than rangers are Glasgow Rangers.

I've never heard anyone refer to Hibs as Edinburgh Hibernian, other than I think some dubious company about the time of Duff/ the takeover.

The only teams that qualify in my opinion are Rangers, Celtic and Hibernian. All the other clubs are named after an area of their town or have some other link as mentioned by others i.e. St. John's Town of Perth and so on.

I can't believe Jambos are even mentioning Heart of Midlothian :angry:

Not sure about Albion Rovers and Morton. I don't think Morton were always called Greenock Morton as far as I know?

The only teams that qualify in my opinion are Rangers, Celtic and Hibernian. All the other clubs are named after an area of their town or have some other link as mentioned by others i.e. St. John's Town of Perth and so on.

I can't believe Jambos are even mentioning Heart of Midlothian :angry:

Not sure about Albion Rovers and Morton. I don't think Morton were always called Greenock Morton as far as I know?

St Mirren are named after a person as are Queen of the South. So they both qualify. Albion Rovers is an amalgamation of two Coatbridge teams. So they qualify. Raith Rovers probably don't qualify as although there is no modern town called Raith, it's derivation was from the gaelic rath, meaning fort. Both the OF fans sing songs with the word Glasgow before their team names. I insist that rules them out.

BoJack Horseman

Celtic aren't officially known as Glasgow Celtic any more than rangers are Glasgow Rangers.

I've never heard anyone refer to Hibs as Edinburgh Hibernian, other than I think some dubious company about the time of Duff/ the takeover.

I'd agree with Celtic to an extent, even though they are Glasgow Celtic. Glasgow Rangers are most definitely Glasgow Rangers though.

I'd agree with Celtic to an extent, even though they are Glasgow Celtic. Glasgow Rangers are most definitely Glasgow Rangers though.

The 'Glasgow' part has been added by fans and is not part of the official name. They were named after an English rugby team.

lost in leith

St Mirren are named after a person as are Queen of the South. So they both qualify. Albion Rovers is an amalgamation of two Coatbridge teams. So they qualify. Raith Rovers probably don't qualify as although there is no modern town called Raith, it's derivation was from the gaelic rath, meaning fort. Both the OF fans sing songs with the word Glasgow before their team names. I insist that rules them out.

Incorrect - it's a nickname for the town itself.

Incorrect - it's a nickname for the town itself.

However, the nickname, biblically derived, is from a person. Correct,

1williegibson

Again people are missing the point of this thread.

It's not whether the location in the team name is exactly where the team plays. It is to do with team names that have absolutely nothing to do with location.

exactly.spot on

lost in leith

However, the nickname, biblically derived, is from a person. Correct,

Will grant you that the nickname probably was derived from the Queen of Sheba.

Funny how there are so many more in rugby - Wasps, Saracens, Harlequins, Barbarians etc.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Rangers FC

Obviuously not anywhere near north Germany, where the Huns came from.

Arsenal: named after a royal arms factory I believe.

Not just named after it but actually founded by workers at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich.

portobellojambo1

With regard to Celtic and Rangers, Brother Walfrid chose the name Celtic to reflect their Irish/Scottish origins, the name Rangers was apparently chosen out of a book, it was actually the name of a rugby club which played in England at that time.

With regard to Celtic and Rangers, Brother Walfrid chose the name Celtic to reflect their Irish/Scottish origins, the name Rangers was apparently chosen out of a book, it was actually the name of a rugby club which played in England at that time.

Rangers fans have never read a book. Fact. Burned loads though.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Not just named after it but actually founded by workers at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich.

Spot on :thumbsup: I respect clubs who have a tradition like that and reflect it in their name. Sheffield Wednesday from workers who met on a wednesday to play Cricket and football, and the famous HMFC of course from a dance club named after Sir Watties novel <_< Who would have a boring name like Aberdeen FC :down:

:thumbsup: wheres The Gasman?

No they don't their grounds in Stenhousemuir at the bottom of Tryst Road, other end of the roads in Larbert

Often wondered where that myth started, heard it a few times. The 'Falkirk actually play in Grangemouth' thing is similar, the stadium is on the Grangemouth side of Falkirk, but its not in Grangemouth.

Hibs ground Easter Road is not in Easter Road, Tottenhams ground White Hart Lane is not in White Hart Lane, any more wrongly named grounds?

Millwall?

they used to play in the millwall area of the isle of dogs. north of the river from where they are now.

does it count op?

west bromwich is a large town outside brum.

west ham is an area of londonaston is an area near brum

crystal palace is in london

leyton orient are in leytonstone in london

all correct, only west ham play in upton park/east ham area. west ham is a little further away

rudi must stay

Hibs ground Easter Road is not in Easter Road, Tottenhams ground White Hart Lane is not in White Hart Lane, any more wrongly named grounds?

Easter Road is a street right next to it, so that doesn't really count.

I've checked and I was wrong about Celtic.

They were founded as "Celtic Football and Athletic Club" as opposed to "Glasgow Celtic".

Archived