Recommend me a restaurant!

Acey

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coyoba.

Jamaican restaurant.

Probably the best meal I have had in Edinburgh. Pretty cheap too.

http://www.coyaba.co.uk/

MMMMMMMMMM Curried goat.

Been there too, quality place. The curried goat is indeed banging, on the odd occasion Bowers in stockbridge sells goat, nice it is too if cooked long enuff.

Pete Seeger
I know they are not up town but the two I favour are Mackenzies in Colinton and The New Bell in Causewayside. Not the cheapest in town but the service and helpings in both are great.

I agree with the new bell. It was pretty good last time we went

Legend Claws
If you like Mexican, Pancho Villa's in the Royal Mile is the bollocks.

Hell no! Shocking attempts at mexican! Tijiuana Yacht club is the only place (and maybe the wee one on Rose Street) to have mexican in Edinburgh!

Legend Claws
Try the Oloroso side project, Roti. Highly recommended with an interesting slant on indian food.

Also, the chap who mentioned the Tijuana, this is now shut as the owner recently died, it's to be re-branded as a British restaurant. And it's on Hanover Street.

No way that is a shame on all accounts. Hopefully the new place is good.

Legend Claws
I'm guessing your still in Australia as the owner (Yatz) of TYC died suddenly I think it was late last year. It's since been taken over. (Don't think it's mexican anymore)?

Thanks mate thats a shame.

Stewart MacD
Taking the ladyfriend out for dinner tomorrow night, as she's away back to Malaysialand at the weekend (causing me to miss the Falkirk game).

Probably better going with her - there's much more variety in KL. Given the prices in some up-market restaurants in Edinburgh, you may end up saving, even including the airfare!

Cafe St Honore off Thistle Street is also very good.

Followed this recommendation; was glad I did. Definitely the most expensive meal I've ever had, but the atmosphere and food was fantastic. Definitely worth it, ifyerknowwhaddimean. :)

GIRU the racists.

Kennedy Bakircioglu
Followed this recommendation; was glad I did. Definitely the most expensive meal I've ever had, but the atmosphere and food was fantastic. Definitely worth it, ifyerknowwhaddimean. :)

GIRU the racists.

So you got some jamie mole then?

Hell no! Shocking attempts at mexican! Tijiuana Yacht club is the only place (and maybe the wee one on Rose Street) to have mexican in Edinburgh!

Couldn't disagree more! Pancho's is probably the only place in Edinburgh that does proper Mexican food, rather than this homogenised Tex-Mex crap that most places knock out!

Couldn't disagree more! Pancho's is probably the only place in Edinburgh that does proper Mexican food, rather than this homogenised Tex-Mex crap that most places knock out!

Spot on. Pancho's is the king of Mexicans.

The Sizzling Scot on Dalry as mentioned by someone else is IMO excellent, the steaks were awesome, real melt in your mouth stuff and the deserts were quite frankly orgasmic!

Went there with my now ex g/f and she raved about it too.

Been to SS three times now. Last time the steak was dreadful won't be back.

Legend Claws
Spot on. Pancho's is the king of Mexicans.

Jesus that is not real Mexican food! It is over creamed nasty processed crap! Mexican is all about fresh ingredients and flavour not a stodgy mess! I am lucky enough to have had real mexican cooked for me by real mexicans and it is a real eye opener! Now that Tijuiana is closed check out the wee one on Rose Street.

Suspect Device
From those mentioned, I'd definitely agree with Dusit and also put my weight behind The Outsider (and its sister restaurant, the Apartment). It can get difficult to get a table in Dusit though.

One I would recommend, which hasn't been mentioned, is Blonde in St. Leonards. Excellent food, great atmosphere, and not too expensive. The food is of a standard expected from much more expensive places.

I'd imagine you can't go too far wrong with any of the non-Mcdonalds suggestions though!

wholeheartedly agree with Dusit, The Outsider and The Appartment

never tried Blonde, but going by your first 3 recomendations i think i might.

__

back to OP

If your looking to impress her why not go for The Tempess(sp) in the George Hotel, good food, lovely place but not cheap, Rhubarb or good old Tiger Lily.

Generic Username

Acey you should have given her the Kirkcaldy special - asked her round to your gaff for a pot noodle and a poke.

Always a winner.

I am lucky enough to have had real mexican cooked for me by real mexicans

So have I on visits to Cozumel, Mexico City, Cabo San Lucas and La Paz (3 visits). :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Legend Claws
So have I on visits to Cozumel, Mexico City, Cabo San Lucas and La Paz (3 visits). :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good! Maybe I caught PV on a bad night but myself and 3 others in my party sent their food back as it was soggy and the meat was severely fatty.

Each to their own I guess

Try Tijuina Yacht Club on Dundas Streer, proper Mexican food and great staff.

That's now The Dogs.

Serves up " New British " currently all the rage down south. Pig's cheek and various bits of offal basically.

Maybe I caught PV on a bad night but myself and 3 others in my party sent their food back as it was soggy and the meat was severely fatty.

:sad::mad:

If that's the case I can't say I blame them.

I went in to get a table but it was too busy so I haven't tried the food, but I think it is just the same as Est Est Est, merely a name change.

Could be wrong though.

Was in last night. Pretty much the same food as Est Est Est so it was really good food. It has been done up a bit but still remains a really good atmosphere. And the waiters were good crack. As well as a lot of talent.;)

But what made my night was meeting the 'Willy form Chile' - Mauricio Pinilla. Top bloke.

davemclaren
Was in last night. Pretty much the same food as Est Est Est so it was really good food. It has been done up a bit but still remains a really good atmosphere. And the waiters were good crack. As well as a lot of talent.;)

But what made my night was meeting the 'Willy form Chile' - Mauricio Pinilla. Top bloke.

No Hearts players in Barioja last night I'm afraid, but the Tapas were excellent... :)

The Sizzling Scot on Dalry as mentioned by someone else is IMO excellent, the steaks were awesome, real melt in your mouth stuff and the deserts were quite frankly orgasmic!

Went there with my now ex g/f and she raved about it too.

Sorry last time I was in SS the steak was truly dreadful. If you want a decent steak try the Chop & Ale House at Champanys. :cool:

davemclaren
Sorry last time I was in SS the steak was truly dreadful. If you want a decent steak try the Chop & Ale House at Champanys. :cool:

The Howgate Inn does a good steak. Anyone tried McKirdy's?

CompleteIdiot
The Howgate Inn does a good steak. Anyone tried McKirdy's?

McKirdy's is great. The place is owned by butchers so the meat tends to be of excellent quality. I dined with four Americans who loved the steaks (a good sign). I ate a vegetable something or other which wasn't too bad either.

I went to McKirdy's and it was top notch

The ribs for starters and their home made bbq sauce was mouth watering

Then had the sirloin and it was excellent. As someone said, it is linked with an award winning butchers, so you know you are getting quality

What is the best Italian restaurant in Edinburgh?

Someone recommended one to me before beginning with P, but I can't remember what it was :o

What is the best Italian restaurant in Edinburgh?

Someone recommended one to me before beginning with P, but I can't remember what it was :o

Tough one that due to the vast choice, but I rate (in no order) The Patio, La Bruschetta, Cento Tre and La Partenope.

Tough one that due to the vast choice, but I rate (in no order) The Patio, La Bruschetta, Cento Tre and La Partenope.

La Partenope was the one recommended

Thanks

I got into a burger phase lately and have been too

Buffalo Grill (Chapel Street)- Awesome steaks and burger bless the gf she can hardly eat two forkfuls and I always get whats left. Anyway I recommend both steak and burgers from there. BYOB too so you can drink like a fish at supermarket prices.

then went too

Wanna Burger (Royal Mile) - Awesome burgers and loads of different ones to choose. Chips kinda sucked but its not called Wanna Chip.

then to complete my round of burger joints the winner....

Gourmet Burger Kitchen (George Street) - Awesome again! But by far the best. I had Puy Lentil Burger and it was the greatest burger I have ever eaten. The GF had a garlic mayo one and I got to eat half of that too (second best burger I ever had). The BBQ dip rocked too and chips were better than Wanna Burger.

So that my little burger place roundup.

Cant believe no one recommended First Coast. Im a bit of a regular there as it blows me a away every time. I kinda like fish more than meat. Despite my big burger review.... but thats just a phase. Anyway im a loyalty card member working my way to my free First Coast meal. Also you might just see a former Hearts chairman in there before the home matches.

Legend Claws

Wanna Burger is awesome! As is Buffalo Grill. Need to check out the George Street one on my return.

Agree that La Partenope is a great Italian. Also like the old favourite La Lanterna.

Been at them all, reckon La Bruschetta is the best of the four you mention. Used to really enjoy LP but hasn't been as good in recent times. :cool:

Been at them all, reckon La Bruschetta is the best of the four you mention. Used to really enjoy LP but hasn't been as good in recent times. :cool:

I've heard that about La Partenope (RIP Pepe's...:rolleyes:)

The Patio is good.

Haven't tried La Bruschetta yet. Must do so soon!

La Bruschetta was fantastic but I haven't been for a couple of years since I had a "slight altercation" with a fellow diner who I overheard - pretty certain he made sure I heard - remarking that he wouldn't mind getting into my wife's pants. And he was no transvestite......:mad:

whoever said Mackenzies in colinton I have to disagree, the food is overpriced and the atmosphere is stuffy!

dantes is a better choice.....try the kangaroo steak it is beautiful!!!!

whoever said Mackenzies in colinton I have to disagree, the food is overpriced and the atmosphere is stuffy!

dantes is a better choice.....try the kangaroo steak it is beautiful!!!!

Utter nonsense. Dante is truly awful. Food terrible. Been once and never again.

La Bruschetta was fantastic but I haven't been for a couple of years since I had a "slight altercation" with a fellow diner who I overheard - pretty certain he made sure I heard - remarking that he wouldn't mind getting into my wife's pants. And he was no transvestite......:mad:

Heh ... how exactly did your "conversation" with him go?

fair enough thats your opinion, i would prefer if you did not undermine mine by calling it nonsense, it is just what i think!

fair enough thats your opinion, i would prefer if you did not undermine mine by calling it nonsense, it is just what i think!

Also your opinion on McKenzies is mince. The steaks are excellent and I would never say the atmosphere is stuffy.

Also your opinion on McKenzies is mince. The steaks are excellent and I would never say the atmosphere is stuffy.

All hail Julio.

He of the right opinion.

Just think how dull life would be if we all liked the same stuff...:P

Have to be honest, i find the food pretentious and over cooked....that said one time it was not overcooked and i got food poisoning from chicken. won't be going back...!

ok maybe my opinion is mince but given that the average mckenzies customer no longer has his teeth i think it is more likely the food that is mince!

All hail Julio.

He of the right opinion.

Just think how dull life would be if we all liked the same stuff...:P

LOL. Very boring Boris. Julio loves his grub though.

Have to be honest, i find the food pretentious and over cooked....that said one time it was not overcooked and i got food poisoning from chicken. won't be going back...!

ok maybe my opinion is mince but given that the average mckenzies customer no longer has his teeth i think it is more likely the food that is mince!

Did you sue them for food poisioning then LJ? Have been more than half a dozen times and have always found the food excellent and steak cooked perfectly medium rare.

LOL. Very boring Boris. Julio loves his grub though.

As do I Julio.

But if you think about it, can you imagine what someone would say about the atmosphere at La Bruschetta had the arrived at the same time as Therapist was remonstrating with the rude diner?

Everyone having different tastes is another reason why I hate going out for meals in a group of more than 6, 8 at a push.

Anymore than that and there is always someone who will complain about something, when there really isn't anything to complain about e.g. they order something and when it arrives it's not what they expected because in truth they didn't have a cluein the first place! It really pee's me off that.

Sorry, went into a wee rant there....

Did you sue them for food poisioning then LJ? Have been more than half a dozen times and have always found the food excellent and steak cooked perfectly medium rare.

did i sue them? what sort of money do you think i have? I am a student...!

no i was sick for a week and decided i would not go back and i would tell people i know not to either, bit overdramatic to sue for a minor case of food poisoning!

thats great you like it...enjoy... just dont have the chicken!!

just dont have the chicken!!

Spot on mate, it's fowl. :P

Archived