Recommend me a restaurant!

Acey

Taking the ladyfriend out for dinner tomorrow night, as she's away back to Malaysialand at the weekend (causing me to miss the Falkirk game).

Can anyone recommend a decent restaurant up town?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chester copperpot
Taking the ladyfriend out for dinner tomorrow night, as she's away back to Malaysialand at the weekend (causing me to miss the Falkirk game).

Any preferred taste, i.e Chinese, Mexican, Thai etc etc.

Depends how much you want to spend.

For some upmarket fine dining try The Stockbridge Restaurant on St Stephen's Street.

Not cheap, but excellent food.

chester copperpot

Rick's bar - The missus always raves about it when she goes there.

Not the cheapest but not expensive by all accounts.

Pete Seeger

We went to international starters down at the shore at the weekend and it was pretty good. I know it's not up town but it was good scram and a bit different.

sizzling scot really good or mexican in rose st

Would have to agree, not sure of it's name and it's tiny but the best mexican food I have ever had in Edinburgh.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
We went to international starters down at the shore at the weekend and it was pretty good. I know it's not up town but it was good scram and a bit different.

Yep International Starters is great.

Plenty nice bars around about as well.

Ray Winstone

Du Pres (sp) on the Royal Mile.

Only about 6 tables but properly good food.

Nargile, Turkish restaurant in Hanover Street (above Bar Napoli)

Food is fantastic in there, would highly reccomend it:)

Thought you'd take her to the Law Society dining rooms. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if money's no object try No1 at Balmoral Hotel. Sheer class.

Thought you'd take her to the Law Society dining rooms. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if money's no object try No1 at Balmoral Hotel. Sheer class.

Hadrians, isn't too bad either.

The Outsider on George IV bridge, food is fantastic - steaks are second to none.

And i'm going on Saturday night - woohoo!"!!!

Dunk-Section G

Wok and Wine next to Ricks.

Officially Scotland's best Chinese. Really good quality dining.

Rick's bar - The missus always raves about it when she goes there.

Not the cheapest but not expensive by all accounts.

Is that Rick's with the silent P? Never liked that place.

Wok and Wine next to Ricks. Really good quality dining.

Agreed, top place. And it does a wide range of Asian food, not just Chinese.

Incidentally (and fwiw!) of the recommendations I've been to, I'd agree with Oloroso and Nargile, but would steer well clear of International Starters and McDonalds. I'm neither up nor down about Rick's or the Outsider.

chester copperpot
Is that Rick's with the silent P? Never liked that place.

Never been myself mate, but if I was ever to try and impress the missus, thats where I'd take her.

We go oot in Glasgow nowadays though.

Take it's full of pretentious wangs then?

Anyone been to Guston on Geroge St? It was formerly Est Est Est.

Going there on friday and was wondering if it has changed much.

Oloroso.

Wasn't that impressed when I went. Really like The Kitchin been about half a dozen times now. Foods excellent.

Anyone been to Guston on Geroge St? It was formerly Est Est Est.

Going there on friday and was wondering if it has changed much.

I went in to get a table but it was too busy so I haven't tried the food, but I think it is just the same as Est Est Est, merely a name change.

Could be wrong though.

Wok and Wine next to Ricks.

Officially Scotland's best Chinese. Really good quality dining.

I second that

Cafe St Honore off Thistle Street is also very good.

Cant agree more with this...

Done the witchery, oloroso and the rest but Cafe St Honore is the dugs danglies.

Also try Ducks on eire place or even Fishers on the shore.

Chip Douglas
Wasn't that impressed when I went. Really like The Kitchin been about half a dozen times now. Foods excellent.

Try the Oloroso side project, Roti. Highly recommended with an interesting slant on indian food.

Also, the chap who mentioned the Tijuana, this is now shut as the owner recently died, it's to be re-branded as a British restaurant. And it's on Hanover Street.

Chip Douglas

Done the witchery, oloroso and the rest but Cafe St Honore is the dugs danglies.

CSH is excellent, and it's just at my work's back door. As is Dusit, which is also worth a visit, if a little on the expensive side. To complete the set, Wok and Wine is just around the corner literally. And Rick's. I would avoid that place, overrated and expensive.

You really should try the Stockbridge Restaurant. Very, very good.

Top end though, but worth it.

You really should try the Stockbridge Restaurant. Very, very good.

Top end though, but worth it.

Lived on the same st for 2 years! lol

Never did go in A. Because it was always dead and B. Had heard two poor reports.

But might give it a try now.

Can also vouch for Roti... all though I was there before it moved from Rose St Lane.

Lived on the same st for 2 years! lol

Never did go in A. Because it was always dead and B. Had heard two poor reports.

But might give it a try now.

Can also vouch for Roti... all though I was there before it moved from Rose St Lane.

2 poor reports. That's interesting as most I have read and heard have been good/very good.

I must hold my hands up though and say i have a vested interest in that it's my Sister and her Partner's restaurant. They took it over about 3/4 years ago.

I've been a couple of times and it is spot on - that is an honest unbiased appraisal. Honest!!:)

2 poor reports. That's interesting as most I have read and heard have been good/very good.

I must hold my hands up though and say i have a vested interest in that it's my Sister and her Partner's restaurant. They took it over about 3/4 years ago.

I've been a couple of times and it is spot on - that is an honest unbiased appraisal. Honest!!:)

I will try it now... probably next wednesday.

I had heard two poor reports but no idea when they were there.... and most importantly if they were sober... probably not lol.

Have eaten every where else on St Stephens St apart from it.

I know they are not up town but the two I favour are Mackenzies in Colinton and The New Bell in Causewayside. Not the cheapest in town but the service and helpings in both are great.

CornhillHearts
Try Tijuina Yacht Club on Dundas Streer, proper Mexican food and great staff.

I'm guessing your still in Australia as the owner (Yatz) of TYC died suddenly I think it was late last year. It's since been taken over. (Don't think it's mexican anymore)?

CornhillHearts
I will try it now... probably next wednesday.

I had heard two poor reports but no idea when they were there.... and most importantly if they were sober... probably not lol.

Have eaten every where else on St Stephens St apart from it.

Where are you getting the cash from Kenny? New job paying well or do Ok at Cheltenham?

G

As is Dusit, which is also worth a visit

Dusit's very nice, and while on that theme, I also rate ****et Pavilion highly. The advantage for Acey is that if he eats there, he can ditch the bird afterwards and head over the road to CC Blooms to indulge his real preferences. :eek::)

Where are you getting the cash from Kenny? New job paying well or do Ok at Cheltenham?

G

haha neither just dont have kids! ;)

Nah Birthday sunday past so me and the berd are off out for dinner on Wed.... (why next wed.... because we are both skint after the weekend)

Try the Oloroso side project, Roti. Highly recommended with an interesting slant on indian food.

Also, the chap who mentioned the Tijuana, this is now shut as the owner recently died, it's to be re-branded as a British restaurant. And it's on Hanover Street.

The Dog's ... it's called ... and it is that too.

Went there Friday night.

It's Dave Ramsden's (Rogue, Fitz Henry's) latest place.

Cracking review at the weekend ... but I can't find it.

Here's another one on a travel site.

http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/edinburgh/restaurant/1e36q7i/the-dogs

PeterCapital
Du Pres (sp) on the Royal Mile.

Only about 6 tables but properly good food.

You should know!!

Ryan Gosling
What's also pathetic is he says it's causing him to miss the Falkirk game. How does that work if the scran is tomorrow night? These part-timers will use any excuse. :mad:

Maybe it's because he's taking her to the airport?

PeterCapital
Maybe it's because he's taking her to the airport?

Thinking outside the box. You must be a professor.

I know they are not up town but the two I favour are Mackenzies in Colinton and The New Bell in Causewayside. Not the cheapest in town but the service and helpings in both are great.

Both serve up decent grub.

From those mentioned, I'd definitely agree with Dusit and also put my weight behind The Outsider (and its sister restaurant, the Apartment). It can get difficult to get a table in Dusit though.

One I would recommend, which hasn't been mentioned, is Blonde in St. Leonards. Excellent food, great atmosphere, and not too expensive. The food is of a standard expected from much more expensive places.

I'd imagine you can't go too far wrong with any of the non-Mcdonalds suggestions though!

The Sizzling Scot on Dalry as mentioned by someone else is IMO excellent, the steaks were awesome, real melt in your mouth stuff and the deserts were quite frankly orgasmic!

Went there with my now ex g/f and she raved about it too.

I went in to get a table but it was too busy so I haven't tried the food, but I think it is just the same as Est Est Est, merely a name change.

Could be wrong though.

Nice one.

Went the same time last year for my birthday and can barely remember eating the food (Still Est Est Est at the time) as I was guttered but this year I ma savouring every bite.:P

Archived