• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been here before
5 hours ago, CF11JamTart said:

Reading  "Das Boot". It's  good, but a bit of a slog at times.

Isnt it just.

But then thats the point of the book to a large extent.

CF11JamTart
17 hours ago, been here before said:

Isnt it just.

But then thats the point of the book to a large extent.

Long periods of tedium and weather, punctuated with tension and occasionally terror.

Am enjoyed Das Boot book. Got the dvd to watch afterwards.

been here before
1 hour ago, CF11JamTart said:

Long periods of tedium and weather, punctuated with tension and occasionally terror.

Am enjoyed Das Boot book. Got the dvd to watch afterwards.

The full 5 hour German version?

Rupert Pupkin
23 hours ago, Marvin said:

Off work next week and got this for some light reading.

original_400_600.jpg

I’m lucky enough to own a signed 1st edition copy of this.. 

47 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

I’m lucky enough to own a signed 1st edition copy of this.. 

Nice. :thumbsup:

CF11JamTart
3 hours ago, been here before said:

The full 5 hour German version?

This version of Das Boot is a mere hours 20 minutes. 

Shanks said no

Finished Dry Hard by Nick Spalding I absolutely loved it and easily the best book I have read this year. 

Image result for dry hard

onto The Story Keeper by Anna Mazzola.

Set in Skye in the 19th century about a young woman who collects folklore.  Got a slight feel of The Wicker Man to it so far, with strong feminist vibes, too.  20% into it (according to Kindle), it's very readable.

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:54, Haken said:

onto The Story Keeper by Anna Mazzola.

Set in Skye in the 19th century about a young woman who collects folklore.  Got a slight feel of The Wicker Man to it so far, with strong feminist vibes, too.  20% into it (according to Kindle), it's very readable.

The Story Keeper was ok, a nice change of style and pace but nothing to get too excited about.  Fairly obvious who the protagonist is.

Now reading Sweet Pea by C J Skuse which I'd describe as a cross between American Psycho and Bridget Jones.  So far (26%) it's amusingly brutal. in a good way.

William H. Bonney

On a Stephen king binge right now. Just recently completed the dark tower series with Salem’s lot in between. 

I finished reading the outsider last week and ive started the shining. 

12 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

On a Stephen king binge right now. Just recently completed the dark tower series with Salem’s lot in between. 

I finished reading the outsider last week and ive started the shining. 

Got The Outisder on the shelf, waiting to be read.

Well done on TDT series - enjoy it or most chronic ending ever?

William H. Bonney
Just now, Haken said:

Got The Outisder on the shelf, waiting to be read.

Well done on TDT series - enjoy it or most chronic ending ever?

I enjoyed it. The ending wasn’t particularly to my liking but it was a good read nonetheless. 

I can’t really say too much about it without giving away the plot. 

Just now, Dino Velvet said:

I enjoyed it. The ending wasn’t particularly to my liking but it was a good read nonetheless. 

I can’t really say too much about it without giving away the plot. 

Yep, which was why I worded my post the way I did.  For me, the journey was much more enjoyable than arriving at the destination, let's put it that way.

The Dead Zone is worth a read.  Read it and think about Trump.  Gives the book an extra edge....

William H. Bonney
14 minutes ago, Haken said:

Yep, which was why I worded my post the way I did.  For me, the journey was much more enjoyable than arriving at the destination, let's put it that way.

The Dead Zone is worth a read.  Read it and think about Trump.  Gives the book an extra edge....

Yes, a certain persons ego gets in the way too much for my liking. Spoilt it a wee bit. 

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 13:00, Haken said:

Now reading Sweet Pea by C J Skuse which I'd describe as a cross between American Psycho and Bridget Jones.  So far (26%) it's amusingly brutal. in a good way.

Sweet Pea was a bit of a strange one.  It was probably about 100 pages too long as it really lags in the middle.  Rhiannon, the main character, is a bit of a strange one.  Sympathetic to begin with, but bad-shit mental as things progress, or, rather, regress.  I see there's a follow up to it.  Not sure I could sit through another 400 pages of her,

Now onto Transcription by Kate Atkinson.  Life After Life is one of my all time favourite books, but sometimes KA is a bit too clever for her own good, and for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2019 at 13:17, Haken said:

Now onto Transcription by Kate Atkinson.  Life After Life is one of my all time favourite books, but sometimes KA is a bit too clever for her own good, and for me.

Finished Transcription but boy, was it a slog.  Not one of KA's better efforts.

Onto some sci fi type fare, The Eden Paradox, which I picked up on the Kindle in one of their 99p offers.  Only a couple of chapters in but so far it's not too bad.  It's the not entirely unfamiliar scenario of seeking a new world to mess up due to already having irreparably messed up our own.

1 hour ago, Haken said:

Finished Transcription but boy, was it a slog.  Not one of KA's better efforts.

Onto some sci fi type fare, The Eden Paradox, which I picked up on the Kindle in one of their 99p offers.  Only a couple of chapters in but so far it's not too bad.  It's the not entirely unfamiliar scenario of seeking a new world to mess up due to already having irreparably messed up our own.

Do you use the book bub site for kindle books haken? I've found it really good. Introduced me to some new authors and books I wouldn't normally have gone for.

1 hour ago, superjack said:

Do you use the book bub site for kindle books haken? I've found it really good. Introduced me to some new authors and books I wouldn't normally have gone for.

I used to look at it but haven't in a while.  I felt it had a tendency towards self-publishing (what they used to call vanity publishing) writers.  Maybe worth another look.

On 17/07/2019 at 09:12, tokyowalnut said:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Started and finished this on the flight home. Story about a 15 year old boy with Asperger's, narrated by him. Finds his neighbours dog murdered in the garden, sets out to solve the mystery. What an excellent book. Anyone that likes reading should give this a shot, 300 easy pages.
4.5/5

Finished this the other week. Started off well and quite amusing in places but the Asperger's narration style started to get a bit tedious towards the end.

On 19/01/2019 at 21:12, The Frenchman Returns said:

now onto Munich by Robert Harris

Just started on this. Good so far.

Shanks said no

41NtawtKR4L._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpgFinished The boy on the bridge by M.R.Carey

I did like it but it was hard to get into, transpired it was a prequel sequel to The Girl With All The Gifts, hence my confusion.

Now onto The Dragon Queen by William Andrews and it is really good so far

On 12/04/2018 at 13:35, Haken said:

Now onto The Boy on the Bridge, by M  R Carey, which is set in the same post-apocalyptic world as The Girl With All the Gifts.

On 20/04/2018 at 13:18, Haken said:

Finished The Boy on the Bridge  Bit of a slow middle but a cracking ending which, on reflection, was kind of inevitable, but a nice tie in with the events of TGWATG.

16 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

41NtawtKR4L._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpgFinished The boy on the bridge by M.R.Carey

I did like it but it was hard to get into, transpired it was a prequel sequel to The Girl With All The Gifts, hence my confusion.

Now onto The Dragon Queen by William Andrews and it is really good so far

Can't believe you didn't recall my posts of April 2018!

🤣

Shanks said no
7 minutes ago, Haken said:

Can't believe you didn't recall my posts of April 2018!

🤣

Probably your post that prompted me to buy it, have it on my kindle for a year and then forget your post! 

• 2 weeks later...
Shanks said no

Finished the Dragon Queen by William Andrews

very enjoyable and it gives you a brief insight into Korean history and culture 

76DF3CF5-5BFB-404A-89AA-46C7961984B5.jpeg

William H. Bonney

I really enjoyed this book. It’s not something I would normally go for but in all honesty I couldn’t put it down. 

Going to read two two miles to tynecastle next. 

Then ‘ here to stay’ by mark edwards. 

5BED6E52-1A5E-40BD-A665-3CB281555870.jpeg

On 29/08/2019 at 10:20, Haken said:

TEP was actually not too bad - more Edgar Rice Burroughs than Arthur C Clark, but a good enough read for the commute.  I see the second one is 99p on Kindle, so I'll snap that up.

Onto The Taking of Annie Thorne by C J Tudor.  Tudor's debut, The Chalk Men, was not too bad, so hoping for good things from her second novel.  

annushorribilis III

The Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz.

The reviews are fantastic but I'm finding it hard going;  one of the most boring books I've ever read & even after ploughing through a third of the book there's little suspense . Good for sending me off to sleep at night though.  

Diadora Van Basten

I noticed a couple of mentions for Stephen Kings the outsider and thought it was a really good book. The start was probably a bit better than the end.

I am currently reading Arnold Schwarzenegger autobiography which is really good he is Forrest Gump.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/09/2019 at 08:53, Haken said:

Onto The Taking of Annie Thorne by C J Tudor.  Tudor's debut, The Chalk Men, was not too bad, so hoping for good things from her second novel.  

On 13/09/2019 at 20:16, Diadora Van Basten said:

I noticed a couple of mentions for Stephen Kings the outsider and thought it was a really good book. The start was probably a bit better than the end.

TToAT was pretty good, though Steven King fans (C J Tudor admits to being one, herself) will recognise the premise for part of the plot.

And on that note, now onto The Outsider, by Steven King.  The start being better than the end is something you could apply to just about all of King's books.  He's pretty notorious for his inability to end a book well.

been here before
On 10/09/2019 at 22:46, Dino Velvet said:

I really enjoyed this book. It’s not something I would normally go for but in all honesty I couldn’t put it down. 

Going to read two two miles to tynecastle next. 

Then ‘ here to stay’ by mark edwards. 

5BED6E52-1A5E-40BD-A665-3CB281555870.jpeg

I found a copy of that in the middle of our street.

William H. Bonney
3 minutes ago, been here before said:

I found a copy of that in the middle of our street.

Random. 

Im reading two miles to tynecastle. 

Probably been read by most on here but I only recently discovered it. Very enjoyable. 

Shanks said no

Really enjoyed Camino Island by John Grisham having hated his last book

Found Fear index by Robert Harris one of his poorer efforts

70120140-9175-4B29-9C19-0AAA33F3B623.jpeg

93217123-AF74-46C6-99F1-5B5E4B366032.jpeg

4 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Random. 

Probably been read by most on here but I only recently discovered it. Very enjoyable. 

You not get the joke then??

been here before
4 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Random

Aye it was either that or an act of madness.

J.T.F.Robertson

Not long finished, "Cemetery Road" - Greg Iles.

Currently on, "The Outsider" - Stephen King.

20 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

What Joke? 

The book was our house.  Someone posted part of a line from the madness hit 'Our House', the line about in the middle of our street. You replied Random, which suggested you didn't get that the line was from a song. Wasn't trying to be cheeky. It might be an age thing.

William H. Bonney
54 minutes ago, dougal said:

The book was our house.  Someone posted part of a line from the madness hit 'Our House', the line about in the middle of our street. You replied Random, which suggested you didn't get that the line was from a song. Wasn't trying to be cheeky. It might be an age thing.

Sorry mate. It was a long day yesterday. Went right over my head. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Outsider by Mr S King.  Hmmm.  Won't say much as am aware one or two others are reading it.  But for me, it started off as a really good 'locked room' type crime thriller.  It takes a turn round about a third of the way through.  Overall, I thought it was ok, but a great start wasn't carried all the way through.  Nice tie in with the Finders Keepers trilogy and wouldn't surprise me if we see some of these characters again.

Just about to start some nonsense called The Paths Between Worlds, another 99p Amazon special which they do quite a lot on first books in a series in the hope that you'll like the first on and pay full price for the rest.  We'll see.

Shanks said no

Origin By Dan Brown

A very good read, computers, atheists, Franco, Spanish Royal Family and the Catholic church made an interesting combination.

been here before

Getting near the end of this...

heartofmidlothian_preorderthisisourstoryianmurrayhardback_1569319498ianmurraybookfront.thumb.jpg.0a345803525fda28091099bc6280e802.jpg

...at the bit about the relegation derby. Seems the Hibs fans are planning on rocking up to Tynecaatle and having some sort of a party. Nail biting stuff waiting to see how that turns out.

Edited by been here before

Just finished Glasgow 1919 - The Rise of Red Clydeside by Kenny MacAskill,  interesting tale of Scottish political and social history. Not something that was covered in my o-grade history lessons. Some of the stats on infant mortality and levels of deaths from TB for example underline the mass poverty in working class areas of Scotland,  particularly Clydeside at that time.