The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Yrsa Sigurdardottir ,The Absolution, 3rd in the Huldar and Freyja series .I do like Scandi Noir and this Icelandic author is first class.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

doddsyJR9
1 minute ago, tedarmy said:

41hUECdplML._AC_UY218_.jpg

Along with the Rolling Stones, Elvis, Fleetwood Mac, Bee Gees, Black Sabbath, Merle Haggard etc etc etc. One of the Greatest ever bands. I'm currently reading the much more sedate but gorgeous beautiful Olivia Newton-Johns life story. I loved ACDC and the rest but also love country and Olivia. God Bless her.

superjack

Just finished reading the bitter crown by Justin lee Anderson. This is the second book from what could be taking over the far seer trilogy as my favourite book series.

The author is from Edinburgh and all of his books use local geography. The best part in this fantasy land is, everywhere is named after a part of Edinburgh, sometimes in the Gaelic spelling or a slight variation on the proper spelling. Even every Inn the characters go to is named after an Edinburgh pub.

Jim_Duncan

Currently on a month-long travelling holiday, so trying to work through a few bigger novels. 

Halfway through James Ellroy’s The Enchanters

Also switching it up with Stephen King’s Under the Dome

Both enjoyable. 

Got Lonesome Dove as an ambitious third book to cover before the end of the month!

9 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Currently on a month-long travelling holiday, so trying to work through a few bigger novels. 

Halfway through James Ellroy’s The Enchanters

Also switching it up with Stephen King’s Under the Dome

Both enjoyable. 

Got Lonesome Dove as an ambitious third book to cover before the end of the month!

You were in China the other day.

Is it just (I say just ffs) China you are visiting ?

Jim_Duncan
6 hours ago, Ked said:

You were in China the other day.

Is it just (I say just ffs) China you are visiting ?

Nope, just landed in Kazakhstan. 

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

It's a shithole.

3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

27 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

It's a shithole.

I feel very insular compared to you two .

What's the crack Jim with the travel?

And I take it work has took you all over Tarks?

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Ked said:

Work and just being a general wooly-minded, fiscally-irresponsible, itinerant jakey, Ked. Boozed my way around a fair bit of the world over the years. A strange imperative borne from the exerience in my early 20s of watching the old geezers in my local fall of their perches at the bar that most of them hadn't moved from since their own teens. 

p.s. I don't think that you're insular at all. 

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

2 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Work and just being a general wooly-minded, fiscally-irresponsible, itinerant jakey, Ked. Boozed my way around a fair bit of the world over the years. A strange imperative borne from the exerience in my early 20s of watching the old geezers in my local fall of their perches at the bar that most of them hadn't moved from since their own teens. 

p.s. I don't think that you're insular at all. 

Sounds like you have lived mate.

Albeit in a jake style ye have still got off the bar stool.

I respect folk that travel outside the normal two weeks .

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Ked said:

Sounds like you have lived mate.

Albeit in a jake style ye have still got off the bar stool.

I have mate. Wee ones in tow now so much less of a jake. Best years lie ahead. 

1 hour ago, Ked said:

I respect folk that travel outside the normal two weeks .

It's easier than you think when you either have a trade or are willing to do any kind of work, and have no other responsibilities. Most folk have families to look out for from a youngish age. I suppose I've just done it a bit back to front.

Back on topic, just finishing of Ultra Processed People by Chris Van Tulleken. 

On 19/10/2010 at 22:27, Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC said:

Looking for some ideas on what to read next. Currently reading Tony Blair's book. Nearly finished it, quite an interesting read especially the parts about N.Ireland, the formation of New Labour and Sept 11th. What's weird about it though is the way it reads is scarily similar to how a certain Shaun.Lawson writes on here! :mellow:

Anyway, any suggestions? Quite fancy something based on war.

Almost 14 years late and not checking to see if it's been recommended... Alistair Urquhart - The Forgotten Highlander 

Really good read but not a pleasant story from the writers pov.

Jim_Duncan
10 hours ago, Ked said:

I’m lucky enough to have an understanding wife and enough time/money to take best part of a month off to do a trip I’ve been planning for years. I don’t want to derail this thread, so please do PM if you want more info. Happy to share/blether about it if you’re interested. Some travellers are the most insular people I’ve ever met, so don’t do yourself down, @Ked. And, @il Duce McTarkin KZ has been far from a shit hole so far. Polite locals and the exact modern Eastern European-with-a-dash-of-Soviet-era architecture topped off with Central Asian madness I was expecting.

Im also reading The Day Lasts More than a Hundred Years by Chingiz Aitmov. Slow, but some great moments. Always like to read novels set where I travel, but then to read something set in a totally different place when I’m actually there. Helps with escapism. 

il Duce McTarkin
27 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

And, @il Duce McTarkin KZ has been far from a shit hole so far. Polite locals and the exact modern Eastern European-with-a-dash-of-Soviet-era architecture topped off with Central Asian madness I was expecting.

Good to hear. I wouldn't know having never been. :)

Bordeaux 03
On 31/01/2024 at 23:15, periodictabledancer said:

The Wager: David GrannRead it in two days while on holiday. One of the best books I've ever read.  A bit of a disappointing twist in the tale when you're dying to find out who's getting hanged at the court martial but the Admiralty bottled it and swept it all under the carpet becuse the whole episode was so embarrassing. A fantastic read nonetheless. 

Glad I finished the book before reading your spoiler......

il Duce McTarkin

Gone back to the start of Brookmyre's Jack Parlabane series. Very '90s but still enjoyable.

2 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Gone back to the start of Brookmyre's Jack Parlabane series. Very '90s but still enjoyable.

My next planned read is Quite Ugly One Morning.  I got it as a stocking-filler for Mme U. at Christmas.  She recommended it to me when she finished it, so I'm going to give it a go.

Edited by Ulysses

il Duce McTarkin
21 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

My next planned read is Quite Ugly One Morning.  I got it as a stocking-filler for Mme U. at Christmas.  She recommended it to me when she finished it, so I'm going to give it a go.

It's a harmless caper. :)

Shanks said no

31766219451.jpg 

Loved the first half and thought I had found a new SK that I liked. Then the second half kicked in and it was plain stupid. yes a fairy tale

Edited by Shanks said no

Shanks said no

220px-A_Song_for_the_Dark_Times.jpg

Good read as expected and now onto A Heart Full of Headstones, and all the joys of Tynecastle Police Station

• 2 weeks later...
manaliveits105

Just started The Fire Maker first book of Peter Mays China Thriller series (7)

Chinese detective in Beijing - so far so good 

interesting insight into Chinese approach to life and sense of humour thrown in 

JudyJudyJudy
On 20/02/2024 at 12:51, Rupert Pupkin said:

IMG_6549.jpeg

Any good ? 

Jim_Duncan

Just finished three books while on my travels. Under the Dome was good fun, although a bit one-dimensional; The Enchanters is typical Ellroy - love his style, but appreciate not everyone does; King Solomon's Mines moves at an impressive pace given the era it was written in (which also accounts for some of the attitudes and language, which would probably upset the snowflake generation).

Now trying to get into Lonesome Dove. Slow burner, eh.

Edited by Jim_Duncan

12 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Just started The Fire Maker first book of Peter Mays China Thriller series (7)

Chinese detective in Beijing - so far so good 

interesting insight into Chinese approach to life and sense of humour thrown in 

Read 5 or 6 of them. Really enjoyed them tbh.

il Duce McTarkin
On 01/02/2024 at 15:11, ehcaley said:

Yrsa Sigurdardottir ,The Absolution, 3rd in the Huldar and Freyja series .I do like Scandi Noir and this Icelandic author is first class.

Boy that lives a couple of doors down from me is an Icelancic author, but it's Viking fantasy he writes.

ehcaley
17 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Boy that lives a couple of doors down from me is an Icelancic author, but it's Viking fantasy he writes.

Cheers(not to keen on any fantasy stuff tho)

Rupert Pupkin
On 29/02/2024 at 10:40, JudyJudyJudy said:

Any good ? 

Yeah well researched, and written… I just can’t see him as a suspect though.. Love a bit Ripperolgy, have numerous books on the subject 

The Autobiography of Jack The Ripper “ by James Carnac is worth a read , clearly a work of fiction that runs out of steam near the end, but very disturbing..

JudyJudyJudy
53 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Yeah well researched, and written… I just can’t see him as a suspect though.. Love a bit Ripperolgy, have numerous books on the subject 

The Autobiography of Jack The Ripper “ by James Carnac is worth a read , clearly a work of fiction that runs out of steam near the end, but very disturbing..

Yes im a ripper " fan " too read a few books and a few documentaries about this. it fascinates me 

Rupert Pupkin
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes im a ripper " fan " too read a few books and a few documentaries about this. it fascinates me 

If you like that sort of thing, this is a brilliant read… Peter Sutcliffe apparently killed many more, including men, and people served time in jail for murders it now looks like he committed.. Absolute fascinating.

IMG_6673.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

If you like that sort of thing, this is a brilliant read… Peter Sutcliffe apparently killed many more, including men, and people served time in jail for murders it now looks like he committed.. Absolute fascinating.

IMG_6673.jpeg

Might give it a go cheers 

John Findlay
On 08/03/2024 at 10:45, dougal said:

50576230.jpg

Transferred to telly quite well too.

ehcaley

Just finished latest Inspector MacLean from James Oswald,not to bad,better than last couple in series.

Back to Yrsa Sigurdardottir Icelandic Noir, Huldar and Freyja series The Doll