Scotland v Czech republic thread

Walter Bishop

Seymour M Hersh

Not great so far. Scraped a point against Lithuania. Nearly the worst result in the country's history against Lichtenstein. Cowardly loss tonight.

Sorry clearly for the hard of learning I should be exact.

How is your boyfriend strapon's record in international football. obviously outwith his timne with one of the ugly sisters his league record is SHITE!!!!!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable. Scottish football really has hit rock bottom. If we had any decency we would withdraw from international football.

We got beaten 1-0 in Prague. Hardly rock bottom. The performance was poor, but as Jambos, many of whom were in Bordeaux, we have seen these tactics work. The difference tonight was that instead of honest professionals who would do their job without question, we had a team full of self inflated OF who think they know best. An easy corner to defend, job done.

jamboinglasgow

One plus point I thought was Graham Dorrans, not even at full match fitness yet but did more then anyone else.

One plus point I thought was Graham Dorrans, not even at full match fitness yet but did more then anyone else.

The only plus point for me was that we now clearly have 2 goalies of international standard.

Unbelievable. Scottish football really has hit rock bottom. If we had any decency we would withdraw from international football.

I agree.

Estonia went and trounced Serbia 3-1 in Belgrade tonight and we couldn't even register a shot on target. Guttless!

ToadKiller Dog

I dont by this that Scotland have to play ultra defensive to beat similar teams , 4-4-2 tonight could have got something against the Czechs when we attacked on the very few occasions there backs looked shakey . Spain and the big nations is different but we are not compeating against them in reality .

I would like to see a manager that trusts our players to play helps improve them tactically as they develop as a squad be that at International or club level the aim is the same . All the negative style does is sap the confidence in the team to actually win games we saw that in the end with Csaba .

CLs tactics tonight is like something you do on the Fifa computer game when you are a bit bored of playing it .

To blame the attitude of the old firm players is a cop out . thought the players all of them tried to make stupidity work , Levein is at fault tonight not the players they tried to do as they were told .

Harry Palmer

The team had a lot of attacking players in it tonight but the tactics were awful.

Jamie Mackie must be fed up already.

Davie Weir with his usual grabbing someone by the throat....

Whittaker should've been sent off.

Robson should just feck off.

Hutton can't defend.

I'm sure there are many more...

Depressing stuff.

Seymour M Hersh

Why the **** did we not go for Trappatoni when the Irish went and got him.

Because an Irish multi-millionaire is paying a fair chunk of his wages. Way more than we as a country would ever pay or to be fair be able to pay without an understandable outcry. The Irish don't seem to mind in the same way they'd play folk who'd once seen a postcard of Dublin or had a great grandparent who's had a couple of pints of guiness. Although with the players we appear to heading in that direction.

Tommy Wiseau

Sorry clearly for the hard of learning I should be exact.

How is your boyfriend strapon's record in international football. obviously outwith his timne with one of the ugly sisters his league record is SHITE!!!!!

Gordon Strachan is infinitely more qualified for the job of Scotland manager than Levein. I'm afraid that's a fact, however you decide to dress it up.

We got beaten 1-0 in Prague. Hardly rock bottom. The performance was poor, but as Jambos, many of whom were in Bordeaux, we have seen these tactics work. The difference tonight was that instead of honest professionals who would do their job without question, we had a team full of self inflated OF who think they know best. An easy corner to defend, job done.

:rolleyes:

Aye, that'll be it, right enough.

McGregor was Scotland's best player tonight, but I suppose it's easier to blame it all on the big bad Old Firm players than accept that a Hearts man got it badly wrong again, and looks completely out of his depth.

Woeful stuff, but to be done at a dead ball is criminal!

Felt sorry for Mackie, who had to spend most of his game covering Hutton. What Hutton has going forward, and it wasn't much tonight, is far outweighed by his dreadful lack of any defensive capability!

And as for Collins et al and their going on about having someone up front to hold up the ball - when was the last time that happened with Scotland? Kenny Miller usually spends most of his time chasing punts up the park that go straight to the defender anyway!

It was clear from the kick-off that those tactics were never going to work. Only man to blame here is Levein - playing with no forwards simply means your team gets pinned back for 90 mins as there is no "out ball" to relieve pressure and build attacks.

If you are going to play negative defensive football you need competent defenders. McManus and Caldwell are bombscares, although can't be blamed for the goal.

If you don't offer a threat to the opposition, their players will be able to attack you at will. Whereas if they feel you could hit them on the break they will be hesitant to push forward.

Its going to be a long, hard game for us on Tuesday. I'll need to soak up a considerable amount of alcohol beforehand to stand it.

I dont by this that Scotland have to play ultra defensive to beat similar teams , 4-4-2 tonight could have got something against the Czechs when we attacked on the very few occasions there backs looked shakey . Spain and the big nations is different but we are not compeating against them in reality .

I would like to see a manager that trusts our players to play helps improve them tactically as they develop as a squad be that at International or club level the aim is the same . All the negative style does is sap the confidence in the team to actually win games we saw that in the end with Csaba .

CLs tactics tonight is like something you do on the Fifa computer game when you are a bit bored of playing it .

To blame the attitude of the old firm players is a cop out . thought the players all of them tried to make stupidity work , Levein is at fault tonight not the players they tried to do as they were told .

McGregor, Weir, McCulloch, Ferguson, Boyd. I know they weren't all playing, but they are in the same gang. Looks like Naismith especially, is the young team. The only person that can sort that out is someone who has the ba's to drop the lot, or Walter. And as has been proved, Walter was an ordinary Scotland manager.

Seymour M Hersh

Gordon Strachan is infinitely more qualified for the job of Scotland manager than Levein. I'm afraid that's a fact, however you decide to dress it up.

McGregor was Scotland's best player tonight, but I suppose it's easier to blame it all on the big bad Old Firm players than accept that a Hearts man got it badly wrong again, and looks completely out of his depth.

I'm not sticking up for Levein in any way shape or form just arguing against strapon. That little shite's not qualified for any managerial position. He's crap and a hobo gobshite to boot. Outside his time at sellik what's he achieved to warrant being classified as infinitely qualified for anything apart from spouting crap on TV?

Gordon Strachan is infinitely more qualified for the job of Scotland manager than Levein.

Pish, Thommo.

Maybe club history and experience would edge it for Strachan, but Levein is a better choice and was the right man to try and rally the team after the Burley shitfest.

I can't see the SFA ever employing Strachan due to the fact that he's a confrontational ######.

Tommy Wiseau

Pish, Thommo.

Maybe club history and experience would edge it for Strachan, but Levein is a better choice and was the right man to try and rally the team after the Burley shitfest.

I can't see the SFA ever employing Strachan due to the fact that he's a confrontational ######.

So... it's pish, but you then admit he IS more qualified? :rolleyes:

Levein is proving himself as quite clearly NOT the right man to bring the team back from the Burley farce (another manager who was more qualified than Levein, by the way).

I do agree with your last sentence, though.

I'm not saying I would have gone out and got Strachan myself, as it happens - but he simply is more qualified than the man we have in charge.

McGregor did his job. I think our best keeper would have been more than comfortable with any saves Kung had to make. If he was our best player then I assume you accept that all our outfield players underperformed, and that cannot possibly be CLs fault. He set out a system which relied on our players following a system to the best of their abilities. That was not the best of their abilities. The only people to blame are the players.

So... it's pish, but you then admit he IS more qualified? :rolleyes:

Levein is proving himself as quite clearly NOT the right man to bring the team back from the Burley farce (another manager who was more qualified than Levein, by the way).

I do agree with your last sentence, though.

I'm not saying I would have gone out and got Strachan myself, as it happens - but he simply is more qualified than the man we have in charge.

Sorry, I should have made that clear. I ment in terms of clubs managed. But, as others have said, other than those 4(?) seasons at Celtic his record is not that impressive. He's had problems at every club he's managed.

He is not more qualified due to the fact that he is a monumental ******, and would rock the boat even more.

Levein has been handed a tough challenge, it's clearly not working out as planned. After this many managers, can we still keep blaming them?

Frankenstein Jambo.

CL was right for the SFA as he was a cheap, safe and easy target for them to get. That doesn't mean he was the most qualitfied and right man for the job.

I'll give him more time but this was a bad result on the back of a really poor team selection. Miller should of started.

McGregor did his job. I think our best keeper would have been more than comfortable with any saves Kung had to make. If he was our best player then I assume you accept that all our outfield players underperformed, and that cannot possibly be CLs fault. He set out a system which relied on our players following a system to the best of their abilities. That was not the best of their abilities. The only people to blame are the players.

No the system was clearly wrong. The Czechs were actually a fairly poor team and were there for the taking. Levein mad a huge mistake tonight so get over it.

Blaming the old firm and Glasgow media for all of Scottish footballs ills is getting boring beyond belief and is just a refuge for cowards who don't have the ability to bring about change so they hide behind something else.

The Comedian

What a coward Levein is. The Czech's were average and we rolled into town with no intention of ever crossing the center circle. We aren't so bad that we can't play one up front. At least?

That was a disgrace tonight, we had no intention of doing anything tonight, why even bother playing?

Thats 3 embarrassments in 3 games for Levein. Dire.

He needs sacked before it get's even uglier.

Anti Football of thr highrdt order - if that all we are capable of, pack it in!

Even Lichtestein had one man up front!

Disgrace for a once proud football nation!

No the system was clearly wrong. The Czechs were actually a fairly poor team and were there for the taking. Levein mad a huge mistake tonight so get over it.

Blaming the old firm and Glasgow media for all of Scottish footballs ills is getting boring beyond belief and is just a refuge for cowards who don't have the ability to bring about change so they hide behind something else.

'kin A Ross, let's do this. Let's change things. How many men can you bring to my command, and I mean proper men, that can stand fast and follow orders. Now there is an issue that the Weedgia have split their citadels across the river. I'll need you to bring about 1000 to neutralise STV. That's your job. Let me worry about the rest of Glasgow's media centre. You secure STV, we come in from the unexpected front and change football reporting in Scotland forever. PM me for the security codes.

Libertonian_II

What a coward Levein is. The Czech's were average and we rolled into town with no intention of ever crossing the center circle. We aren't so bad that we can't play one up front. At least?

That was a disgrace tonight, we had no intention of doing anything tonight, why even bother playing?

Thats 3 embarrassments in 3 games for Levein. Dire.

He needs sacked before it get's even uglier.

This.

It was that bad that towards the end I wanted Bednar to score more than a hun infested Scotland team.

Mcgregor was at his usual lets kick out at the opposition(Bednar) and the bbc numpty defended him. BTW the commentary team were as bad as the football one.

Tommy Wiseau

Your hatred of Old Firm players is blinding you to the facts. Either that or you've never played the game before.

These are not technically gifted players, for the most part. What do you want them to do, with no out ball whatsoever? Pass it right through the Czechs from our own box and cut it back for a tap in for our stri... oh, wait.

No one to hold the ball up = disaster waiting to happen. If you can't see that then there's no point in discussing it further.

Sorry, I should have made that clear. I ment in terms of clubs managed. But, as others have said, other than those 4(?) seasons at Celtic his record is not that impressive. He's had problems at every club he's managed.

He is not more qualified due to the fact that he is a monumental ******, and would rock the boat even more.

Levein has been handed a tough challenge, it's clearly not working out as planned. After this many managers, can we still keep blaming them?

I'm not advocating Strachan for Scotland, but I still think he would have been a better choice than Levein, who lacks any of the requisite qualifications and as such, was always going to be a risk of being completely out of his depth. I think it's proving that way.

Strachan might well be a toley of a man, but he's done more in the game and commands more respect from top level players than Levein.

As for your point "can we keep blaming managers?"; when they're not doing the job, yes we can. Smith and McLeish were both good appointments and did decent jobs. Burley wasn't. Scotland fans are realistic (perhaps too much so) - we can accept missing out on qualification to the likes of Italy and France if we're putting in performances and the tactics/players are in the right ballpark. What fans shouldn't accept is disgraceful performances at home to Liechtenstein and playing a 4-6-0 formation against the worst Czech side in a generation. It's not good enough.

Nelly Terraces

Scotlands performance tonight was laughable. Astonishingly bad. The formation was just ludicrous, 4-6-0, a manager doing his best to avoid defeat there and avoid criticism, it backfired totally. The formation helped nobody, but the passing and ball retention were substandard to say the least. <BR><BR>Scotland are as good as out this group in qualifying terms. Levein will be sacked sooner rather than later.

Levein deserves the sack already. Football straight out of the Craig Broon zero entertainment handbook. A bloody good player with skill to burn but unfortunately a boring boring barsteward of a manager.

Marooned In Oz

Your hatred of Old Firm players is blinding you to the facts. Either that or you've never played the game before.

These are not technically gifted players, for the most part. What do you want them to do, with no out ball whatsoever? Pass it right through the Czechs from our own box and cut it back for a tap in for our stri... oh, wait.

No one to hold the ball up = disaster waiting to happen. If you can't see that then there's no point in discussing it further.

I'm not advocating Strachan for Scotland, but I still think he would have been a better choice than Levein, who lacks any of the requisite qualifications and as such, was always going to be a risk of being completely out of his depth. I think it's proving that way.

Strachan might well be a toley of a man, but he's done more in the game and commands more respect from top level players than Levein.

As for your point "can we keep blaming managers?"; when they're not doing the job, yes we can. Smith and McLeish were both good appointments and did decent jobs. Burley wasn't. Scotland fans are realistic (perhaps too much so) - we can accept missing out on qualification to the likes of Italy and France if we're putting in performances and the tactics/players are in the right ballpark. What fans shouldn't accept is disgraceful performances at home to Liechtenstein and playing a 4-6-0 formation against the worst Czech side in a generation. It's not good enough.

Agree with %99 of what you say thommo and this is spot on again.

Anyone who defends Levein tonight, after that shit need their head checked - How could we keep the ball without a striker? When our Full backs got the ball, the Czechs closed right in on them which meant they ended up playing hospital balls across our 18. If that isn't the fault of the system, then I don't know what is.

Levein needs to stop being so pig headed, arrogant and try something else or just go, either way.

Chris Benoit

In Jamaica so I missed the game and not really got the time to read whole thread any chance of a quick summary of the game

Spotted the new hibs boss thread have the hobos sacked bingo?

Chris Benoit

In Jamaica so I missed the game and not really got the time to read whole thread any chance of a quick summary of the game

Chris Benoit

Libertonian_II

I should have added that I always felt that Burley was given a hard time because he didn't have any OF baggage. Levein will get it purely & simply because his tactics etc are utterly and totally embarrasing. He's making Berti Vogts look like Walter Smith :ninja:

Aye Bingo sacked a few days ago.

Scotland got beat 1-0 while they played a 4-6-0 formation.

Harry Palmer

Scotland formation was 4-6-0.

It failed. My eyes bled.

Bingo left by 'mutual consent' on Monday.

Yes I hate the OF. I assumed all Hearts fans think the same. When I played the game you passed the ball to the correct player at the correct time. You didn't just lump it to get rid, and that's what our defence was doing tonight. Getting rid to make themselves look better. Sometimes we got it wrong, but if you'd given yourself enough space to start with and you had any kind of fitness and football intelligence, you covered your mistake fairly easily. If there is no outlet, take responsibility. We've agrees the Czechs were poor, so why didn't we use the ball better when we had it? Not Craigs fault if guys on ?20k can't control a ball and run the correct angles.

Chris Benoit

Aye Bingo sacked a few days ago.

Scotland got beat 1-0 while they played a 4-6-0 formation.

Cheers, load of ******* shit. It's not the players coming through we need to worry about it's the managers without the back bone to go out and try to win games :angry:

hearts_crazy

Lined up in ridiculous 4-6 formation whatever that is, even sounds strange, seems to be missing a syllable . Allowed the Czech Republic to hem us in to our own half throughout the game. Resorted to idiotic hoofs up to the empty space that should have been our forward line, lost 1-0 through schoolboy defending, that's about it really. Craig Levein stood by his formation after the game and told us how we had played great up to the point when they scored (bollocks, we didn't unless his idea of 'playing well' involves playing like you had never seen a football before)

Lined up in ridiculous 4-6 formation whatever that is, even sounds strange, seems to be missing a syllable . Allowed the Czech Republic to hem us in to our own half throughout the game. Resorted to idiotic hoofs up to the empty space that should have been our forward line, lost 1-0 through schoolboy defending, that's about it really. Craig Levein stood by his formation after the game and told us how we had played great up to the point when they scored (bollocks, we didn't unless his idea of 'playing well' involves playing like you had never seen a football before)

Schoolboy defending is not CLs fault. These guys get paid ?20k plus per week, and should never have lost that goal. Again, wasn't impressed with CLs tactics they worked in Bordeaux because the team respected CL. They didn't work tonight because OF didn't try to make it work.

Harry Palmer

Big D... I made the point about Bordeaux elsewhere but at least there was a focal point in attack to aim for in that game.

Levein got his tactics horribly wrong here though.

So who's your manager and what does your best 11 look like?

Gordon

Whittaker

Weir

Berra

Hutton

Hartley

Dorrans

D. Fletcher

Adam

Miller

Kyle

Ok, I take your point and I'm not going to dispute what you've said. In my opinion, we'd be saying the same things about any other manager who took over the job.

My point about blaming the managers was, that there are more deep routed problems in our game than our manager underperforming. We never expected free-flowing pass & move style football under Levein, but we expected better than this. You can blame the man for his tactics in the games he's played, the last three have been shameful. I just can't see any other manager willing to take the job doing any better.

That was the worst Scotland performance I have ever witnessed.

It's Friday night FFS, I managed a night off from the kids, thought I would head to the pub, watch a stirring performance and then top the night off by snagging a mini skirted bimbo.

Alas. I'm back in the house alone, I was so fekkin bored through that game it ruined my night, I would rather Scotland had a go and got humped rather than that peesh.

The worst thing is that the checks were just as bad, we could have had them on toast.

Anyway, bring on the Spaniards !

Rudolf's Mate
The difference tonight was that instead of honest professionals who would do their job without question, we had a team full of self inflated OF who think they know best. An easy corner to defend, job done.

And so it was the old firms fault and those players for not trying? You have a frickin laugh! I thought everyone tried they're best but when did you EVER see a team play nobody up front? FFS for the tactics along we deserved feck all as it was anti football!

Harry Palmer

Everyone being fit....

Gordon

Wallace

Weir (unbelievable that there are very few CD coming through)

Berra

Hutton (Scottish Glen Johnson imo)

Fletcher

Caldwell (I think he is one of the few that does better at international level)

Dorrans

McFadden/Adam

Morrison

Iwelumo/Miller/Mackie/Fletcher/ Anybody!!!

Manager: Me

Geoff Kilpatrick

IF CL had sneaked a result tonight, he would have had vindication.

However, if you losing playing anti-football, you are pillioried, and rightly so.

It would be churlish to point out Northern Ireland's result against superior opposition at the same time, so I won't.

Harry Palmer

IF CL had sneaked a result tonight, he would have had vindication.

However, if you losing playing anti-football, you are pillioried, and rightly so.

It would be churlish to point out Northern Ireland's result against superior opposition at the same time, so I won't.

As I'm oblivious, it's probably better not to. :)

Nelly Terraces

That was the worst Scotland performance I have ever witnessed.

It's Friday night FFS, I managed a night off from the kids, thought I would head to the pub, watch a stirring performance and then top the night off by snagging a mini skirted bimbo.

Alas. I'm back in the house alone, I was so fekkin bored through that game it ruined my night, I would rather Scotland had a go and got humped rather than that peesh.

The worst thing is that the checks were just as bad, we could have had them on toast.

Anyway, bring on the Spaniards !

Haha, gave be a chortle that. :D

This.

It was that bad that towards the end I wanted Bednar to score more than a hun infested Scotland team.

Mcgregor was at his usual lets kick out at the opposition(Bednar) and the bbc numpty defended him. BTW the commentary team were as bad as the football one.

Absolutely dire!

If the players had been able to dribble as well as they did, we'd have had 100% possession!!!

Archived