• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Thomaso

• Buffalo Bill

• Marvin

Maroon Sailor

Some great saves from Kello here, especially the ones from Davis and Ness.

Cracking keeper

Much as I hate to ever give them credit, Hibs and Celtic both did Jim Cruickshank proud. Following 0-0 draws against both at Tynecastle, their players lined up at the end and applauded him from the field. I have never seen that before or since and it sums up what a fantastic player he was.

On the other hand, when Dundee beat us 7-1 at Tynecastle, he had a shocker.

Nice to know he was human.

It wasn't at Tynecastle, but Niemis save against Celtic at Parkhead was easily the best I've ever seen.

Truly world class.

• 1 month later...
Maroon Sailor

I found out tonight that Henry's doing a wee bit of coaching of the club my boy plays with and I wanted to show them this video, but alas it's gone :(

I don't suppose any of you amazing chaps can find it, or have it stored away and could upload it...

About 23:50 in

jack D and coke

First one in the compilation

No idea who made that compilation but I can think of about half a dozen off the top of my head better than almost all of those saves. The number one is a topper but its almost the kind of save I think of when I think of Craig he was so capable of those. Those Sunderland welts never knew what they had when he was there. Scotland has lost a great goalkeeper too.

MacDonald Jardine

Has anyone got a link to:

Dundee Utd 0 Hearts 3 - 1986, when we thought we'd won the league - Henry made an outstanding save that day too.

Hearts 0 Hibs 0 - last season - The Balogh's save onto the post.

He did. Seemed to change direction in mid air.

Slightly off topic, but I'm still holding on to the hope that we might see Craig Gordon back at Hearts one day. He's a free agent, he's only 30 (young for a keeper) and the last I heard was that he might be working his way back to fitness.

The great tragedy about Gordon's career is that the main beneficiary of his injuries at Sunderland, Simon Mignolet, eventually got the move to a big club that Gordon now never will.

Maroon Sailor

Slightly off topic, but I'm still holding on to the hope that we might see Craig Gordon back at Hearts one day. He's a free agent, he's only 30 (young for a keeper) and the last I heard was that he might be working his way back to fitness.

The great tragedy about Gordon's career is that the main beneficiary of his injuries at Sunderland, Simon Mignolet, eventually got the move to a big club that Gordon now never will.

Speaking to a few Mackems when Gordon was the No.1 choice they seemed to still prefer Mignolet. Not sure if they were winding me up or not, but I don't think he convinced all of them down there.

Maroon Sailor

Thank you sir!

About to be uploaded to their Facebook page for the education of the uninitiated!

Game changing save that from Henry. No way back from that if that went in.

Show them the highlights of the whole game !

The noise when Crabbo lashed in the 3rd was incredible.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Lord Beni of Gorgie

When I saw the thread title this was the save that came to mind.

I couldn't speak for about two days after that match! We were absolutely superb in that game.

Can't believe how many are like minded, instantly to mind. It must be then. Anti had a topper in a 7 1 win over Dunfermline which could be too easily forgotten

jack D and coke

Speaking to a few Mackems when Gordon was the No.1 choice they seemed to still prefer Mignolet. Not sure if they were winding me up or not, but I don't think he convinced all of them down there.

I was down at a couple of Sunderland games when he was no 1 and they didnt rate him much at all or certainly most of the ones i spoke to didnt anyway.

Arseholes.

It wasn't at Tynecastle, but Niemis save against Celtic at Parkhead was easily the best I've ever seen.

Truly world class.

That was a cracker,point blank header and he somehow clawed it off the line shame we still got a pumping that day,at home I'd say Gordon vs plastic whistle he somehow dived one way then spun back the other to save a deflected free kick

Without doubt, Craig Gordon v Motherwell. I would suggest that the big guy takes a complete break from football, go away and lie on a beach for a while, maybe a little bit of swimming and then completely re-start his career at 31, injury free, with Hearts.

Gordon vs motherwell for the best save but best all round performance has to be rousset in the 98 cup final

Isn't it roundly understood that Rousset's best game in a Hearts jersey was away to Motherwell? Very early in his Hearts career, possibly second, third game?

Goram when he played with the h1b5, still can't fathom out how he saved Crabbo's shot although we won 3 zip he was incredible that day, by far the best keeper I have ever seen.

Gordons save against Motherwell was outstanding.

Did he not tip one over the bar from saving on the penalty spot at Almondvale? (I don't mean a penalty)

I'm sure it will have been said already bu Henry Smith's save from Tommy Coyne against Celtic was probably the greatest save i've ever seen.

0-1 down, meant it stayed that way at half time and we came back to win 3-1.

Its been a long time baby

Not the best save but one of my favourites, Kello saving a penalty the game after Jim Cruickshank died. Once it was given I think most people there knew it would be saved and the noise after it was was like a goal!

Just another special moment at Tynecastle

Sorry just noticed someone had posted this save already

Edited by Its been a long time baby

Maroon Sailor

I'm sure it will have been said already bu Henry Smith's save from Tommy Coyne against Celtic was probably the greatest save i've ever seen.

0-1 down, meant it stayed that way at half time and we came back to win 3-1.

That save was early in the 2nd half.

Hearts equalised after 53 minutes through George Wright of all people !

Maroon Sailor

Not the best save but one of my favourites, Kello saving a penalty the game after Jim Cruickshank died. Once it was given I think most people there knew it would be saved and the noise after it was was like a goal!

Divine intervention ?

Can't watch the clip right now but I'm assuming it's Henry Smith saving from Tommy Coyne. if so, it's the best save I've ever witnessed.

Snap ! How he saved that, I don't know !

Isn't it roundly understood that Rousset's best game in a Hearts jersey was away to Motherwell? Very early in his Hearts career, possibly second, third game?

Yep, remember it well. He made a point-blank save that was outstanding.

As for ones I've seen in the flesh at Tynecastle, it's a toss-up between Gordon vs Motherwell and Henry vs Celtic.

Maroon Sailor

Henry's all the way for me. The whole gound thought it was in. You just have to look and listen to the Tims on that clip.

Was one of those Yeah Oh moments

Andy Gorams save against us when he played for hubs when he save a Scott Crabbe thunderbolt about twenty years ago, we beat them 3-1 IIRC.

Hard to beat. A great performance in what could have easily been 6 or 7.

Another opposition save was Pat Bonner last seconds of a league cup game. Can't remember who shot. It then went to extra time. I think Robbo scored equaliser on 120 minutes to make it 2-2, then we lost on penalties. Classic game. There was game like it, same result.

2 fine keepers perhaps the only 2 to match Niemi and Gordon in my time.

Hannibal Lecter

Best save I've seen is Gordon's save against Motherwell in injury time to cling onto a 2-1 win, outstanding!

That was a fantastic save!

Maroon Sailor

Another opposition save was Pat Bonner last seconds of a league cup game. Can't remember who shot. It then went to extra time. I think Robbo scored equaliser on 120 minutes to make it 2-2, then we lost on penalties. Classic game. There was game like it, same result.

Think that game finished about 22:40 !

Remember it kicked off late

N Lincs Jambo

The one game I really regret missing was the derby in '91 when legend has it the Hearts fans applauded Goram off the park as by accounts from mates who were there it really could have been 8 or 9 that day. Another performance not yet mentioned in this thread was Jim Leighton for the sheep when they won the league at Tynie (midweek match in 1984 I think). Final score was 1-0 sheep but I couldn't believe how much we bossed that game and if it hadn't been for Leighton we would have won by quite a few. I hitch-hiked down from Dundee for that game getting a lift off an Aberdeen supporters club bus (scarf up jumper until we got to Balgreen!).

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The one against Well looks smashing but at a good height and central, check replay from behind. His triple save against Ferencvaros was at Murrayfield, still a home game, and another home game at Fester when he saved from Rob Jones in injury time to keep it 2 all

This will only be remembered by a few of the "Older Codgers" but the final game of the season 64/65 for me saw one of the best and certainly most significant saves ever at Tynecastle although time may be dimming the memory on the detail but no doubt someone will be able to correct any inaccuracies.

Needing a single point against Killie to win the league or in fact any 2 goal defeat apart from 2 nil we were two down when Alan Gordon rose and headed powerfully down on target and somehow Bobby Ferguson got his hand to it and kept it out ... reminiscent of the great Banks World Cup save in Mexico as I remember it. Killie won the league at that moment , great save and highly significant but not a happy memory for this particularly sad and tearsome 14 year old at the time.

• 5 years later...

Hi all

sorry for random bump

ive put together a video with saves as mentioned on here

unforrunatley a few are missing 

namely

niemi v Celtic (parkhead) 

craig Gordon triple v sparta

craig gordon v Partick Thistle 2006 

mainly as the footage available is dubbed over by music instead of “real time” commentary 

hope you enjoy 

On 03/09/2010 at 06:56, stevie said:

When at hibs Andy Goram made a double save first from Robbo in the bottom left corner,the ball broke to Scott Crabbe, he rifled it towards the top right corner but incredibly Goram saved it.We humped the wee team that day(3-0 i think)but had it not been for Goram we would have really hammered them.

That was the greatest goalkeeping performance I’ve ever witnessed live. True story - they only had Goram because the then chairman of hibs agreed to pay off his gambling debt as part of his transfer...without him 7 nil would have been surpassed more than once!

5 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

That was the greatest goalkeeping performance I’ve ever witnessed live. True story - they only had Goram because the then chairman of hibs agreed to pay off his gambling debt as part of his transfer...without him 7 nil would have been surpassed more than once!

Yeah

Always the first thought when considering saves at Tynecastle. 

On 09/09/2013 at 16:10, Its been a long time baby said:

Sorry just noticed someone had posted this save already

Cruickie's penalty save from Tommy Gemmill at the Gorgie end in 1970 when Celtic were one of the very best in Europe. Game ended 0-0. Gemmill as always absolutely smashed it towards the top corner only for Cruickie to tip it over

On 12/09/2013 at 20:05, Teuchterjambo said:

This will only be remembered by a few of the "Older Codgers" but the final game of the season 64/65 for me saw one of the best and certainly most significant saves ever at Tynecastle although time may be dimming the memory on the detail but no doubt someone will be able to correct any inaccuracies.

Needing a single point against Killie to win the league or in fact any 2 goal defeat apart from 2 nil we were two down when Alan Gordon rose and headed powerfully down on target and somehow Bobby Ferguson got his hand to it and kept it out ... reminiscent of the great Banks World Cup save in Mexico as I remember it. Killie won the league at that moment , great save and highly significant but not a happy memory for this particularly sad and tearsome 14 year old at the time.

If Bobby Ferguson had cut his finger nails pre match that would NEVER have been a goal!

I watched that match from the North Enclosure, I was right down in the corner at the school end. I was so small the only way I could see was to stand on top of the wooden board goal mouth covers that were stored there!

Edited by Jambo-Fox

Bazzas right boot

I remember Henry having a belter of a game v Dunfermline in a midweek  fixture. 

Mid 90's.

Jamie's penalty save at St. Mirren in the cup replay in 2012. Score was 0-0 at the time and they got the penalty instead of a goal as the ref blew before for a foul they 'scored'. We were under the cosh at the time and that was the turning point of the game. The rest is glorious history

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

If Bobby Ferguson had cut his finger nails pre match that would NEVER have been a goal!

I watched that match from the North Enclosure, I was right down in the corner at the school end. I was so small the only way I could see was to stand on top of the wooden board goal mouth covers that were stored there!

last minute of the game at the Gorgie end as I remember. down low to his right. absolutely gutted. Think we could have lost 1-4 and still won the league. Any score but 0-2. Jensen hit the post as well I think