• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Thomaso

• Buffalo Bill

• Kiwidoug

Craig Herbertson

Definitely one of the best but Cruikshank saving a penalty by Tommy Gemmell, Celtic remains my favourite

08937048.jpg

Edited by Craig Herbertson

Craig Gordon, double penalty save V's Motherwell. The whole ground was in awe of the big guys point-winning ability.

Niemi made a few belters aswell.. We really have been blessed with good Goalkeepers over the years!

Kalamazoo Jambo

Henry Henry!!!!!

Can't watch the clip right now but I'm assuming it's Henry Smith saving from Tommy Coyne. if so, it's the best save I've ever witnessed.

when i seen the thread that was the save that sprung to mind. Henry made an almost identical save from coyne at parkheed later that season, if im not mistaken.

to be fair to many great keepers and save over the years but as i said this was the one that sprung to mind

Edited by jamboscott

Does anyone have an idea what the attendance was for the Hearts Celtic match in 1991 ?

Edited by Manny1874

When I saw the thread title this was the save that came to mind.

I couldn't speak for about two days after that match! We were absolutely superb in that game.

Remember that game against Celtic well. Last time I saw George Wright, he was rubbing lotion into Jo Guest :teehee:

Interesting following the Falkirk 6-0 thread, as Joe Jordan was manager for this game and we were top of the league at the time :whistling:

Edited by jambodunks

Does anyone have an idea what the attendance was for the Hearts Celtic match in 1991 ?

There was over 22,000 at that game but for the Scottish Cup game (Robbo free kick winner) there was nearly 29,000.

That was the first time since 1972 we scored 3 in a home game against Septic and its only happened once since - the penultimate SPL game of the 05-06 season.

By the way both those teams would absolutely muller the respective current sides.

scott herbertson

Definitely one of the best but Cruikshank saving a penalty by Tommy Gemmell, Celtic remains my favourite

08937048.jpg

..and mine

what a coincidence!

One of the great commentator cliches is "the keeper didn't know much about that one"

I always got the feeling that was when Henry was at his best. Not thinking, just doing. Just don't give him too much time.

Klos has an absolute world class save a few years back. Looked a goal all the way and he turned it round the post.

Was that from Andy Kirk ? Think they beat us 1-0 but we did everything but score (although they may have been down to 9 men) ?

Edit - this game

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/200012031.html

Edited by magicTs

scott herbertson

..and mine

what a coincidence!

Cruikie also had the "most nonchalent leave" ever - a 25 yard screamer to the top left hand corner - everyone but cruikie thought it was going in but he deliberately and slowly turned his back on it and walked around the right post as it skimmed the side of the left post, adjusting his transitor radio under his towel in passing.

Though I would add in to the mix a Niemi save away to Killie - top drawer

richardhateshibs

Craig gordons save from Rob Jones header at Tynie (think it was in the last minute)

Niemis hundreds of saves at parkhead(we conceded 6 goals and he still got MOTM)

Craig gordons save from Rob Jones header at Tynie (think it was in the last minute)

Niemis hundreds of saves at parkhead(we conceded 6 goals and he still got MOTM)

Gordons save was at Fester.

Cruikie also had the "most nonchalent leave" ever

I think Craig Gordon might also have a claim to that with the throw in he ducked out the way of and let it go into the net knowing it wouldn't stand as it was direct from the throw.

rudi must stay

Not a well known save probably but the best save I've ever seen was against Rangers in 00/01(we lost 4-1). Niemi managed to make a point blank save when he was lying on his back. It actually could have been even more of a doing, IIRC Niemi made a number of great saves that day..

Edited by rudi must stay

loveofthegame

One that instantly sprang to mind was CG v 'Well. An astonishing save, truly world class. Pictures dont do it justice imo, from the moment it left Clarksons foot is was a goal.

Won us 2 points that day and kept our winning run going.

Thunderstruck

In a similar vein to the Henry Smith save, Balogh had a great save against wee team last season (I think) when ball took a deflection and he had to change direction to finger-tip it onto the post.

Henry Henry!!!!!

2:41 into clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfTUR9RhiyE

Fantastic post there, ye've made my day. That game stands out in my mind so much! I was 17 years old and sitting in section R (where I am now with the season ticket). What I remember most about the game was when Tommy Coyne scored from that angle, the Celtic support started singing "Always look on the bright side of life..whistle whistle" (that was the song at the time). Then when Hertz third goal went in, we were all singing the same song to a celtic support who were completely silent. Priceless!

Cruickie v Tommy Gemmell penalty

Cruickie v that Hubz left back ( Davies ?) from the 60s. Another penalty, equally dubious!

But for the best save at Tynie, it has to be Craig v Well.

Best save ever though was Craig's Euro triple save at Murrayfield. UNBELIEVABLE !

Edited by Busby8

I was just a nipper when Henry was throwing himself about between the sticks.

The Gordon save mentioned was truly world class and in the long term was crucial in terms of us finishing second.

Niemi had numerous great saves, too many to actually be able to remember them all! Oddly enough though, I always remember his first appearance at Tynecastle. He started against us for Rangers in a 3-2 defeat in 1998/99 and I recall being in awe of his ability even then. He made two great saves (both from Jim Hamilton*) that kept them in the match and allowed them to go and win. I was delighted the day he signed for us and was never dissapointed.

Not that this is one of the greatest saves but does anyone remember Kello's old school catch against Killie at home last year? Don't see that often these days!

*I may be wrong, I was still only 12 then.

Has anyone got a link to:

Dundee Utd 0 Hearts 3 - 1986, when we thought we'd won the league - Henry made an outstanding save that day too.

Hearts 0 Hibs 0 - last season - The Balogh's save onto the post.

When at hibs Andy Goram made a double save first from Robbo in the bottom left corner,the ball broke to Scott Crabbe, he rifled it towards the top right corner but incredibly Goram saved it.We humped the wee team that day(3-0 i think)but had it not been for Goram we would have really hammered them.

Goram's performance in the 3-1 win over Hibs in March 1991 ranks (imo) as the greatest ever goalkeeping performance at Tynecastle in my time.

Best save?

Henry v Celtic in 1991. That save kept us in the game at 0-1.

Niemi made a cracking penalty save v Dunfermline in 2002.

Gordon, as cited v Motherwell kept the winning run going.

Gordon again in 05/06 v Partick in the cup.

...and Balogh v Hibs last season.

The winner: Craig Gordon v Clarkson. Quite unbelievable save.

..and mine

what a coincidence!

Scott/Craig, Was this the one where he save the rebound as well? I seem to remember Cruckie saving a penalty and then the rebound and thought it may have been Gemmell, any idea what year this was?

Cheers

We should also consider earlier contributions from Jake Reid. After all, the poor sod only had three fingers.

He'd have done well to have tipped Tommy Coyne's header over the bar, imo.

Charlie-Brown

It wasn't at Tynie it was at an away game - I think it might have been at Raith Rovers? - anyway Henry saved & caught the ball with one hand - the guy shot and he just moved over and plucked it out the air single handed and then just smiled at the striker - it wasn't spectacular like his save v Celtic or some of Craig Gordon's full length saves but it was a remarkable piece of goalkeeping.

Edited by Charlie-Brown

When at hibs Andy Goram made a double save first from Robbo in the bottom left corner,the ball broke to Scott Crabbe, he rifled it towards the top right corner but incredibly Goram saved it.We humped the wee team that day(3-0 i think)but had it not been for Goram we would have really hammered them.

This has to be one of the best. IIRC wasn't he actually applauded by some Hearts fans (it's amazing how nice we can be when we're humping them)

On another note, the quality of football, the way the teams knock the ball about shows how far the SPL has fallen. What I woulnd't give to have a team like that on the park now!

The best save I've ever seen was Craig Gordon's from a deflected free kick against Partick Thistle in the Cup (2006) - fantastic save!

If I remember rightly, the Thistle striker said it was the best save he had ever seen.

Snake Plissken

Gordon v Thomas Buffel in 05/06. Ball broke to Buffel about 10 yards out and he drove it towards goal and somehow Craig kept it out - the sort of save that some keepers get a hand to but can't stop going in.

Though the Clarkson one is as good as it gets, he could not have hit that shot any better and I doubt there are five goalkeepers in the world who could have gotten near it, let alone kept it out.

This was the game(the OPs 3-1 game) that made me a Hearts fan forever... I had been maybe 2 games before but I remember this one was the first time I really felt like a fan and wanted to go every week....

Brilliant..

Edited by Bigsmak

Gordon against Motherwell in 05/06 season.

We were winning 2-1 and they were all over us in injury time. Can't remember who shot but it was inside the box and Gordon through himself to his left and tipped it wide, unbelievable save

Final whistle went. 3 points for us :D

Edited by Roscoe1874

alwaysthereinspirit

Best Hearts save for me was Henry Smith against Aberdeen. Midweek game. Hearts up 1 - 0 from a Levein header with minutes left. There was a huge scramble in the box from a corner and Simpson I think took a shot from about 6 yards. Bottom corner, school end. Somehow Smith got down to it and turned it around the post. Along the lines of Gordon against Motherwell. Thats my best Hearts save seen personally.

peebles jambo

Jim Cruickshank penalty save from Tommy Gemmell wins by a mile.

i'm pretty sure i was in the city hospital at the time of that save, so only saw it on the telly, cruikie visited me while still in hospital, hence the reason he's my favourite player of all time, apart from the fact that he was a fantastic keeper

David Bowman, Ian Baird, Scott Severin and Lee Wallace have as yet, still to feature in this list.

Duh: Baird was in goal at Pittodrie.

Edited by Buffalo Bill

Snake Plissken

David Bowman, Ian Baird, Scott Severin and Lee Wallace have as yet, still to feature in this list.

I was at the game where Seve took the gloves, alas I had already left after we were denied two very clear pens in the first half before compeltely imploding in the second.

I remember Tepi had a world class save against Emerson (I think) but the rebound fell straight to Arveladze who scored.

Speaking of Tepi - that penalty save against Rangers in 2003, Arvelazde, was probably the best penalty save I've ever seen.

Charlie-Brown

Sandy Jardine also played in goals v St Mirren at Love Street in a 5-2 defeat at the end of season 1984-85 when Henry Smith had injured himself in the pre-match warm up. Mind you Henry nor the defence didn't do any better on our next trip to Love Street in the 2nd game of the 1985-86 season as we got beat 6-2!!