Greatest Save Ever At Tynecastle?

Walter Bishop

Charlie-Brown

I seem to remember vaguely that Paul Cherry & Jimmy Sandison had brief appearances between the sticks when the goalie (I assume H.Smith) had been injured or sent off?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Thomaso

• Buffalo Bill

• Marvin

The best save I've ever seen was Craig Gordon's from a deflected free kick against Partick Thistle in the Cup (2006) - fantastic save!

If I remember rightly, the Thistle striker said it was the best save he had ever seen.

Same for me. I have absolutely no idea how anyone could save that.

Guest juvehearts

Fantastic post there, ye've made my day. That game stands out in my mind so much! I was 17 years old and sitting in section R (where I am now with the season ticket). What I remember most about the game was when Tommy Coyne scored from that angle, the Celtic support started singing "Always look on the bright side of life..whistle whistle" (that was the song at the time). Then when Hertz third goal went in, we were all singing the same song to a celtic support who were completely silent. Priceless!

quality game,

really wish the terracing was back.

see when the 1st goal went in & the cut to the crowd, i seen my uncle & my mate jumping in a white coat with the scarf aloft his head

priceless that.

Was that from Andy Kirk ? Think they beat us 1-0 but we did everything but score (although they may have been down to 9 men) ?

Edit - this game

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/200012031.html

that game was on bbc and it was levein's 1st home game for us. Rangers got a pen early on and it was dodgey to say the least. Petric was supposed to have fouled someone but naw danger.

Rangers did indeed go down to 9 men and we bombarded their goal for 20 mins at the end but klos kept them out and kirk was awful infront of goal as usual.

Best Hearts save for me was Henry Smith against Aberdeen. Midweek game. Hearts up 1 - 0 from a Levein header with minutes left. There was a huge scramble in the box from a corner and Simpson I think took a shot from about 6 yards. Bottom corner, school end. Somehow Smith got down to it and turned it around the post. Along the lines of Gordon against Motherwell. Thats my best Hearts save seen personally.

Mine too. It was Oct 85. Two or three of the Aberdeen players sank to their knees in disbelief that he'd saved it. It was incredible.

David Bowman, Ian Baird, Scott Severin and Lee Wallace have as yet, still to feature in this list.

Duh: Baird was in goal at Pittodrie.

Lee Wallace's attempt to save the shot against ICT with his knees was my personal favourite.

Seve did ok when he went in for Tepi IIRC.

Henry Henry!!!!!

2:41 into clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfTUR9RhiyE

Remember that well! Jumping about mad and bursting my lip with arms flying everywhere, blood everywhere on me. I remember the next game against them at Parkheed, we won 2-1, two goals in a minute, Millar and a curler like i've never seen since by anyone from Crabbe, happy days!

Hearts Vs Motherwell

Gordon - but not Craig!

Gordon Marshall for Motherwell made a great save (probably a season or two before CG's great save) which looked in all the way.

Reminded me of the always heralded Gordan Banks save for England.

Was Baird in goals for a game at Aberdeen that we maybe won 3-2? I seem to also recall Ian Ferguson playing between the sticks somewhere??

We lost 3-2.

I think it was Nicky Walker who got injured in the warm up, probably applying fake tan.

Edited by Buffalo Bill

Midfield Dynamo

In a similar vein to the Henry Smith save, Balogh had a great save against wee team last season (I think) when ball took a deflection and he had to change direction to finger-tip it onto the post.

The Balogh save was the best save I have seen at Tynie ever.

To be fair CC, HS & AN all had some great saves as well.

The best save I've ever seen was Craig Gordon's from a deflected free kick against Partick Thistle in the Cup (2006) - fantastic save!

If I remember rightly, the Thistle striker said it was the best save he had ever seen.

Aye. Possibly because it's fresher in my mind than the rest that have been mentioned.

The ball was blasted towards one corner of the net and got deflected in entirely the opposite direction.

I was in the Roseburn that day and just stood up and applauded the save.

Aye. Possibly because it's fresher in my mind than the rest that have been mentioned.

The ball was blasted towards one corner of the net and got deflected in entirely the opposite direction.

I was in the Roseburn that day and just stood up and applauded the save.

Meant the Gorgie stand of course :mellow:

Best Hearts save for me was Henry Smith against Aberdeen. Midweek game. Hearts up 1 - 0 from a Levein header with minutes left. There was a huge scramble in the box from a corner and Simpson I think took a shot from about 6 yards. Bottom corner, school end. Somehow Smith got down to it and turned it around the post. Along the lines of Gordon against Motherwell. Thats my best Hearts save seen personally.

This. Unbelievable save. The fact Henry couldn't possibly have seen it until the very last split second made it even more amazing! I was right behind the goals in the school end ans this save always sticks in my memory. Pity the cameras weren't there to catch the moment.

Lynn :ninja:

I was swithering about voting that one as my best.

I got in late and missed Leveins header, however Henry's save was probably as much a match winner as any goal.

I recall the Dons players were 'queuing up to score' as they say and Simpson got the vote and blasted it low and hard

towards the corner. Somehow Henry got down and across to save it .......AND held it as I recall, giving the School end

a huge cheesy grin as he lay there clutching the ball, in the knowledge that he had probably made the points save with

that superb effort :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

Henry Henry!!!!!

2:41 into clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfTUR9RhiyE

I found out tonight that Henry's doing a wee bit of coaching of the club my boy plays with and I wanted to show them this video, but alas it's gone :(

I don't suppose any of you amazing chaps can find it, or have it stored away and could upload it...

Maroon Sailor

I found out tonight that Henry's doing a wee bit of coaching of the club my boy plays with and I wanted to show them this video, but alas it's gone :(

I don't suppose any of you amazing chaps can find it, or have it stored away and could upload it...

That was the greatest save for me too.

Everybody thought it was in. Vital save as that would have put them 2-0 up. Instead Hearts went on to win 3-1. A rare occasion when we came from behind to beat Celtic.

tynie chris

Definitely one of the best but Cruikshank saving a penalty by Tommy Gemmell, Celtic remains my favourite

08937048.jpg

Could not agree more on that one.

Jim Cruickshank produced a point blank save from Willie Johnston which was so breathtaking that the subsequent applause and acclaim took around 5 seconds to start.

I can't say it was the best as I haven't seen most of the others talked about here but it was the best I ever saw.

Dagger Is Back

First one that came to mind was Goram versus Crabbe were we destroyed them and if t hadn't been for two chins it would have been a huge scoreline. Gordon versus Motherwell was a huge save for us at that time.

Jim Cruikshank save from Jimmy Greaves in a friendly against Spurs in the early sixties! Even Greavsie did not believe his effort had been saved!

Agree with this. It was so good as we was unsighted. I was right behind it and still don't know how he got to it.

Jim Cruikshank save from Jimmy Greaves in a friendly against Spurs in the early sixties! Even Greavsie did not believe his effort had been saved!

Yes, I remember that one too. Greaves was brlliant but I think it ended 1-1 and Greaves didn't score.

A couple of 'Spurs fans on the way out described him to us as a freak.

Jim Cruickshank was world class.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

One of the few good things about getting old is that I have many memories of Jim Cruickshank, unfortunately very few recordings of him exist, or indeed, were ever taken, so direct comparisons with our more recent goalkeeping heroes is impossible. Cruicky was so good that, at times, he was all there was at Hearts for the fans to get excited about, and without him, the plunging gates would have plunged even farther. The triple save from the Davis penalty was unbelievable, so much so, that, although I only saw the highlights of that Derby (I was in Dundee for the New Year)and already knew the score was 0-0, I literally fell off my seat by the time he caught the three yard drive from someone less likely to remain in my memory. In truth, though, there were other saves he made in that game that, individually, were even more amazing than each of the saves from the penalty. I remember, too, a save he made against Celtic at Tynecastle, Bobby Murdoch had a great close in header that initially looked like he was going for the top corner and Cruicky seemed to anticipate this and took off early, Murdoch then headed it lower and Cruicky twisted and knocked the ball down, catching it as he lay on the ground after it had bounced up before Murdoch could get over his frozen disbelief. The Celtic crowd behind the goal were already celebrating a goal and it was amazing how it changed to ringing applause. But one save that disappeared in the significance of the game itself was made in the dying seconds of Willie Wallace's last game for Hearts. 4-0 up at half-time against Clyde, and with Wallace remaining in the centre circle for the second-half, Cruickshank made a triple save - 3 shots all from around 6 yards with the defence static, left us 4-3 winners - and Cruicky unconscious after the third shot hit him squarely on the jaw. He was still scrambling after a 4th effort that ran behind before collapsing.

We've been blessed with some great goalkeepers in my time: Cruickshank, Smith, Rousset, Niemi, Gordon, Kello: but sadly only two of those ever saw any silverware, although I've no complaints about Jamie MacDonald, who, as one of the better keepers not to make that list, did us proud in our cup run of 2012, seeing us through the semi to show us how you don't need a great keeper, these days, when playing the Hibs ;)

For those who don't remember Cruikie, it must be difficult to imagine what a great keeper he was. Also Tommy Gemmell was probably the worlds hardest hitter of a football. If you look closely at the picture of "that" penalty save, you will see that Gemmell is completely airborne with the force with which he struck the shot. The save was superb.

kettering jam tart

Gordon vs motherwell for the best save but best all round performance has to be rousset in the 98 cup final

Jingle Bells

The Jim Cruikshank save I remember the best was against Celtic too.The ball was past him by a couple of feet heading at a rate of knots towards the top left hand corner of the goal at the Gorgie Road end as viewed from the Shed. Jim somehow managed to dive backwards, twisted and turned the ball over the bar.

The Celtic fans,behind the goal were already up celebrating the "goal",then just couldn't believe he had managed to save it and then applauded him, along with everybody else in the ground.

Tokyo Drifter

I remember what was probably Craig Gordon's first game at Tynie, a friendly against Sunderland. Can't remember a specific save he made but he was clearly a talent so he must have done something spectacular.

Not saying it's the best but does anybody remember Janos Balogh's tip on to the bar from a wotherspoon long range strike?

I'm only 24 so don't remember much of henry smith. I remember Niemi against Rangers being a wonder save but I will go for Criag Gordons wonder double save against motherwell. He had a couple of belters at Almondvale and Easter Road too.

My final vote has got to be Andrew McNeil's "collecting" of a ball in the first few minutes of a derby before Driver scored...

Gordon's triple save against Sparta Prague at Murrayfield on a soaking wet night best for me

First one in the compilation

Andy Gorams save against us when he played for hubs when he save a Scott Crabbe thunderbolt about twenty years ago, we beat them 3-1 IIRC.

alwaysthereinspirit

Craig Gordon against Motherwell. Quite superb.

This for me. Also those two points gained made all the difference at the end of the season as we captured second place.

steviefrailspants

Perhaps not the best save ever at Tynecastle but certainly the most fitting....

Kello's penalty save versus Hamilton Accies in the first game at Tynecastle since the sad news of Jim Cruikshank passing away. Kello did Cruikie, himself and Hearts proud that day with his tribute and the penalty save late on in the game to keep a clean sheet was a real lump in the throat moment.

As mentioned elsewhere on this thread we have had a lot of great keepers at Tynecastle : Cruikshank, Smith, Niemi, Rousset & Gordon. Now we have Jamie MacDonald who I believe is now moving on from a good goalkeeper to a great one. His gesture of taking a salry cut speaks volume of the guy and his committment to the cause. Looks like the future's bright with big Ridgers as well.

Robbo-Jambo

Craig Gordon against Motherwell. Quite superb.

This. Incredible save. Still to this day dont know how he kept it out of the net.

the general

Definitely one of the best but Cruikshank saving a penalty by Tommy Gemmell, Celtic remains my favourite

08937048.jpg

agree

I remember back in the 70's Jim Cruikshank was dropped and Kenny Garland(I think)took his place.One of the opposition crashes a shot from 20yards out,it's heading for the top corner,Garland makes an amazing save to tip it round the post,the crowd goes wild!As the commotion dies down a guy behind us shouts"Cruikshank would have held it!"

I was a VIP at the game in 1991 because my dad won a competition in the Evening News. I have a picture with Neil Berry and Wayne Foster.

"Hearts pouring men forward" always gets me right there.

One of the few good things about getting old is that I have many memories of Jim Cruickshank, unfortunately very few recordings of him exist, or indeed, were ever taken, so direct comparisons with our more recent goalkeeping heroes is impossible. Cruicky was so good that, at times, he was all there was at Hearts for the fans to get excited about, and without him, the plunging gates would have plunged even farther. The triple save from the Davis penalty was unbelievable, so much so, that, although I only saw the highlights of that Derby (I was in Dundee for the New Year)and already knew the score was 0-0, I literally fell off my seat by the time he caught the three yard drive from someone less likely to remain in my memory. In truth, though, there were other saves he made in that game that, individually, were even more amazing than each of the saves from the penalty. I remember, too, a save he made against Celtic at Tynecastle, Bobby Murdoch had a great close in header that initially looked like he was going for the top corner and Cruicky seemed to anticipate this and took off early, Murdoch then headed it lower and Cruicky twisted and knocked the ball down, catching it as he lay on the ground after it had bounced up before Murdoch could get over his frozen disbelief. The Celtic crowd behind the goal were already celebrating a goal and it was amazing how it changed to ringing applause. But one save that disappeared in the significance of the game itself was made in the dying seconds of Willie Wallace's last game for Hearts. 4-0 up at half-time against Clyde, and with Wallace remaining in the centre circle for the second-half, Cruickshank made a triple save - 3 shots all from around 6 yards with the defence static, left us 4-3 winners - and Cruicky unconscious after the third shot hit him squarely on the jaw. He was still scrambling after a 4th effort that ran behind before collapsing.

We've been blessed with some great goalkeepers in my time: Cruickshank, Smith, Rousset, Niemi, Gordon, Kello: but sadly only two of those ever saw any silverware, although I've no complaints about Jamie MacDonald, who, as one of the better keepers not to make that list, did us proud in our cup run of 2012, seeing us through the semi to show us how you don't need a great keeper, these days, when playing the Hibs ;)

Great post. As a goalkeeper myself, it's always great reading about keepers from earlier era's.

Can I throw one into the mix - Kello's performance against Rangers where Stevo scored the winner for 1-0 a few years back. He made a stunning full stretch save from distance early in the game and followed up with about 3 more pearlers. From memory the Huns hit the woodwork a few times...all the sweeter :D

Edited by mayfield

Gordon vs motherwell for the best save but best all round performance has to be rousset in the 98 cup final

Watched this game the other week (thanks to Geoff who sent me a DVD) and have to agree...fantastic all round performance with some difficult saves combined with being safe as houses in every other area. Perfect example of how a confident and assured keeper rubs off onto the rest of the team.