Greatest Save Ever At Tynecastle?

Walter Bishop

2 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

last minute of the game at the Gorgie end as I remember. down low to his right. absolutely gutted. Think we could have lost 1-4 and still won the league. Any score but 0-2. Jensen hit the post as well I think

I indulged in some foul mouthed banter that day with some Kilmarnock fans in the front row of the North Stand!!!

They kept chanting, “Killie Killie Killie ...”

We responded, “dig a hole” to every utterance of Killie!

Such innocence........

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Thomaso

• Buffalo Bill

• Marvin

On 02/09/2010 at 22:36, Craig Herbertson said:

Definitely one of the best but Cruikshank saving a penalty by Tommy Gemmell, Celtic remains my favourite

08937048.jpg

From memory Cruickshank got up and saved the rebound from Lennox.

He was my hero! ❤️

On 25/07/2013 at 19:31, Kiwidoug said:

On the other hand, when Dundee beat us 7-1 at Tynecastle, he had a shocker.

Nice to know he was human.

Thanks for your contribution! ?

Seymour M Hersh
On 08/09/2013 at 20:11, Doc Rob said:

Slightly off topic, but I'm still holding on to the hope that we might see Craig Gordon back at Hearts one day. He's a free agent, he's only 30 (young for a keeper) and the last I heard was that he might be working his way back to fitness.

The great tragedy about Gordon's career is that the main beneficiary of his injuries at Sunderland, Simon Mignolet, eventually got the move to a big club that Gordon now never will.

Do you still feel that way Doc? :laugh:

Niemis one handed save at darkheed 

don’t know who headered it for septic but he dived to his left and literally pushed it round the post 

suoerb reaction save - not saying it’s the best but definitely one that springs to mind 

Gordon’s double save against well was a fantastic reaction save 

On 25/07/2013 at 20:35, Eckauskas said:

It wasn't at Tynecastle, but Niemis save against Celtic at Parkhead was easily the best I've ever seen.

Truly world class.

Was that the 6-1 game where mickey scored first?  MotM.. lost 6 goals!

Definitely one of the best but Cruikshank saving a penalty by Tommy Gemmell, Celtic remains my favourite

08937048.jpg

That's the one for me too, I'm sure that was the first time a goalkeeper had saved his penalty

51 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Niemis one handed save at darkheed 

don’t know who headered it for septic but he dived to his left and literally pushed it round the post 

suoerb reaction save - not saying it’s the best but definitely one that springs to mind 

Gordon’s double save against well was a fantastic reaction save 

Niemi made an unbelievable save from a Johan Mjallby header at Tynecastle. From memory it was almost behind him but he somehow flicked it over the bar. The Gorgie Road ends reaction was a mass “WTF did he just do??”. Best save I’ve ever seen from the best keeper we’ve had in my time (I’m 33) watching the famous. I’ve tried to find a video but never found one. 

On 25/07/2013 at 19:31, Kiwidoug said:

On the other hand, when Dundee beat us 7-1 at Tynecastle, he had a shocker.

Nice to know he was human.

Yep, he was poor that day. He wasn’t the only one though.

1 hour ago, NLTFTh said:

1. Henry againstt the manky mob.. 

2. Gordon against Murderwell. 

Think craigs one against murderwell does it for me, can still see it like it was yesterday.

Tokyo Drifter

08937048.jpg

I remember a young keeper impressing me greatly in a friendly against Sunderland with some super saves. Craig someone. Dunno where he ended up.

28 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

The much maligned Doyle made a cracker that saved us v Hibs a few weeks ago

at ER

2 hours ago, Deevers said:

Yep, he was poor that day. He wasn’t the only one though.

The story goes that before that match the Board told the players there would be no bonus for winning the League.

3 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

The story goes that before that match the Board told the players there would be no bonus for winning the League.

Certainly the tale I heard.  It was an abysmal performance all round that day. Even the goal we got was an own goal. That was the day we lost the league. 

50 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Certainly the tale I heard.  It was an abysmal performance all round that day. Even the goal we got was an own goal. That was the day we lost the league. 

Believe it or not that was the first game my old Dad took me to!

Talk about a baptism of fire!! :eek:

Captain Sausage

Jan Balogh made an incredible save once. No idea who against. Think it deflected and he flicked it onto the post. 

2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

at ER

Right enough. Should have read thread title. Henry v Celtic for me then. Wasn’t at the Motherwell game. Same to recall Niemi making a tremendous save top left corner at the Gorgie end but can’t remember who against

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

Jan Balogh made an incredible save once. No idea who against. Think it deflected and he flicked it onto the post. 

Hibs

at tynecastle

Ive shared a video on page 3 that has it on it ??

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2013 at 16:10, Its been a long time baby said:

Not the best save but one of my favourites, Kello saving a penalty the game after Jim Cruickshank died. Once it was given I think most people there knew it would be saved and the noise after it was was like a goal!

Just another special moment at Tynecastle

Sorry just noticed someone had posted this save already

Tear in my eye at that game. Fitting tribute to Cruicky.

Davie Bowman in goal after Henry got injured v Dundee United when he tipped the ball over the bar during the mid 1980's. Apologies if I already suggested this.

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

It was against Hibs. 

On 02/09/2010 at 22:37, davieholt said:

Craig Gordon against Motherwell. Quite superb.

Was that the one in the dying minutes of the game with a rocket shot to Gordon's top left corner which he managed to touch round the post?

If it was I was in the School end at that game right behind the goals and was convinced it was a goal all the way and that would have given Motherwell the draw.

That was definitely one of the best saves I have ever seen live.

Talking of great saves reminds me of a story Jim Jeffries told me a few years ago.

Jim had signed for Hearts as a youngster but had been shipped down to Gala Fairydean for some experience. The guy who was the Manager down there was a real character, and great pal of mine, called Frank Duncan. Frank had signed as a goalkeeper with Motherwell back in the 50's and he was still registered as a player.

Jim told me in a cup tie down there, their keeper was injured with a few minutes to go, so Frank stripped off the tracksuit and went in goals.

In the last minute the opposing centre forward waltzed through the Gala defence and hit this rocket - it crashed off the bar and rebounded out to the penalty spot where the centre forward running in hit it on the volley right toward the top corner.

Suddenly like a swallow there was Frank diving and tipped the ball over the bar for an unbelievable save!

Jim ran up to Frank and said "How the **** did you save that Frank???"

Frank replied "I was still going for the first shot!!"

5 hours ago, MyWay said:

Niemi made an unbelievable save from a Johan Mjallby header at Tynecastle. From memory it was almost behind him but he somehow flicked it over the bar. The Gorgie Road ends reaction was a mass “WTF did he just do??”. Best save I’ve ever seen from the best keeper we’ve had in my time (I’m 33) watching the famous. I’ve tried to find a video but never found one. 

ha! See above. Have you tried searching YouTube under Antti Niemi?

Edited by Marvin

2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Believe it or not that was the first game my old Dad took me to!

Talk about a baptism of fire!! :eek:

I was at that bloody game as well !?

My old Gaffer was a Dundee supporter. Never let me forget about that one.?

Stupid Sexy Flanders
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Talking of great saves reminds me of a story Jim Jeffries told me a few years ago.

Jim had signed for Hearts as a youngster but had been shipped down to Gala Fairydean for some experience. The guy who was the Manager down there was a real character, and great pal of mine, called Frank Duncan. Frank had signed as a goalkeeper with Motherwell back in the 50's and he was still registered as a player.

Jim told me in a cup tie down there, their keeper was injured with a few minutes to go, so Frank stripped off the tracksuit and went in goals.

In the last minute the opposing centre forward waltzed through the Gala defence and hit this rocket - it crashed off the bar and rebounded out to the penalty spot where the centre forward running in hit it on the volley right toward the top corner.

Suddenly like a swallow there was Frank diving and tipped the ball over the bar for an unbelievable save!

Jim ran up to Frank and said "How the **** did you save that Frank???"

Frank replied "I was still going for the first shot!!"

:lol:

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Was that the one in the dying minutes of the game with a rocket shot to Gordon's top left corner which he managed to touch round the post?

If it was I was in the School end at that game right behind the goals and was convinced it was a goal all the way and that would have given Motherwell the draw.

That was definitely one of the best saves I have ever seen live.

It was a very hard shot just inside his left hand post. How he got down and across to it I have no idea. Didn't look possible. It wasn't the top corner though.

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Was against Hibs wasn’t it? Fairly sure. 

A notable save that for me that goes unnoticed a lot is Jamie McDonalds at Hampden against Celtic in the semi final 2012. Might’ve been injury time but was definitely late on, he clawed it away and was a cracking save at a very crucial time. He made another from James Collins I think around that time too,  an amazing save but maybe Collins got called offside so doesn’t count I guess but was a stunning save :lol: also his save in the LC win at Easter road from Robertson I think, onto the bar, tremendous stuff. 

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Not at Tynie, but what the hell... Henry’s save at Tannadice in the 3-0 game 1986. Still makes me smile.

Came through the crowd of players, he saw it late and pulled off a stunning save??

13 hours ago, MyWay said:

Can vaguely remember that save as well - When you said it was almost behind him I remember him going one way and going down but at the last minute changing direction and pushing it over the bar (thinking it may be the same save that you are talking about) 

We have had some class class keepers and also before my time but got to say, Niemi was one of the best I have seen in the flesh. Gordon was fantastic but Niemi for me just edges it. Remember some games as a lad where Henry had some outstanding saves but Niemi just sticks in my mind  more  

He just had superb reaction and agility and there were so many unbelievable saves that he made its hard to keep track 

Jack Torrance
On 23/01/2019 at 17:49, jack D and coke said:

Came through the crowd of players, he saw it late and pulled off a stunning save??

Yup. Was a brilliant game all round and that topped it off. Still my favourite away game of all time. Loved Henry. Would be great to hear his song adapted for someone else.