Sellick Going Out Of Europe? / Neil Lennon (Merged Threads)

since.1902

I find it strange, but pleasing, that Celtic would employ a "rookie" manager after the disaster that was monkey heid.

What on earth possesses a club like Celtic to give the managers job to someone who has had no apprenticeship in management. A massive gamble by them that has been shown not to work on the European stage, which is no suprise.

Craig Levein learnt some hard lessons in Europe with us and he had been in management for a number of years learning his trade.

NL will probably do OK in the SPL due to the "favours" that are afforded to Celtic over all other clubs apart from Rangers. It is a completely different game in Europe wher normal OF SPL behaviour does not work.

Celtic will probably still be a good 15 points in front of 3rd come May 2011with Rangers a few in front of them.

ahh, but he's one aw ra sellik family an' that, pure dead ra sellik-minded eh no.

i trust this clarifies matters.... :P

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drylaw Hearts

with martin O'neil out of a job at the moment the celtic board must be thinking about it

I actually think O'Neil wouldn't/couldn't do that to Lennon.

Unless Lennon agrees to being his assistant but that would be an embarrassing backward step for Ginge.

Next season will see Lennon (if he holds on) up against McCoist in the managers stakes.

Two relative rookies. Although Lennon will have a season under his belt and i'd imagine McCoist will benefit from being under Walter.

People have been saying that this is the season that a club could split the old firm. I personally think it could be next season if anyone else was to mount a challenge. That said it will probably still not happen due to how far even poor old firm teams are ahead of the rest.

I didn`t see the game but i have no doubt Utrecht were a decent side. But they wouldn`t have been worried about Celtic`s rep or the big myth surrounding them...unlike the rest of the spl.

Really, i do think the rest of the SPL has to get the negative shackles off and realise they can be beaten more often. Results have actually got a bit better over the last few years but for most part teams are subdued before a ball is kicked.

I wouldn`t say Hearts are. We`ve had some good results v Celtic recently and given Rangers the odd defeat at Tynie, its more away from home.

But its the way the Killies and St Middens bend over and take a shafting far too easily.

PS..i said at start of season lennon will do a Le Guen and i still stand by that.

I don't think he'll get sacked any time soon unless they have a disasterous run in the league (fingers crossed!) but wouldn't be totally suprised if Martin O Neill was brought in in some sort of "upstairs" role or something (whether lennon wants it or not).

Got to agree with an earlier post. Way all the 'split the OF' pish. They are as bad as each other, surely then if you wish to use the term'split the OF' you are as well talking in terms of us winning the championship...................which incidentally, we won't.

Gordon Strap-on lost his first game in charge of Celtic 5-0.

The still won the league at a canter.

That wasn't lennon's first game in charge though..

ahh, but he's one aw ra sellik family an' that, pure dead ra sellik-minded eh no.

i trust this clarifies matters.... :P

Why thankyou :teehee:

Celtic seem to be solely intent on selling season tickets without the view that if they employed a decent manager their short and long term future success would be almost guaranteed.

Poor poor business IMHO but long may it continue

Gordon Strap-on lost his first game in charge of Celtic 5-0.

The still won the league at a canter.

So true BB and the OF will finish 1st/2nd once again,but in regards to the manager comparison - Strachan had a track record. While Strachan could of been a flop, we new he was a better manager than a 5-0 Artmedia loss and being punted out the cup by clyde.

Someone mentioned Walter Smith wont play Webster because he doesnt have an 'OF mentallity'. Every one of Lennon's signings I would say the same about, especially Mulgrew.

Buffalo Bill

That wasn't lennon's first game in charge though..

I didn't say it was.

I was simply stating that a previous manager suffered an even greater embarrassment in Europe yet still won the league with some ease.

In regards to the 'split the OF' term.

It is very unlikely that both sides of the OF will have a terrible season. Even if the squads are similar, usually if one side of the OF is doing badly, then the other takes confidence from that.

Celtic have overspent and now that they are out of Europe they face dwindling crowds and their overpaid demotivated starlets will not be happy plying their trade merely for a Scottish trophy.(Which they may not even win!)

Most of their fickle supporters only offer loyalty because they are seen to win prizes. Old Firm attendances have dropped before when their team does badly and a half empty Celtic Park will only drive even more of them away. Without the money and prestige from Europe they will find it even more difficult to attract good players.

Even if they abandon their aggressive orangutan of a manager it is now too late. If they fail to dominate the domestic scene, as I believe probable,it really will be "abandon hope all who enter here". And do they still think that an escape to the English leagues is feasable? Only their money was ever wanted there and now they will be as welcome as the Bubonic Plague. I weep not a tear for their plight. Self inflicted and deseved.

A decline in forune for Celtic ironically means a decline for Rangers, as they feed off each other like piranhas in a river. For the rest of the Scottish clubs it will mean that an avenue of opportunity will open up and that can only be good for the Scottish game!

It is actually unbelievable how much money they have spent in comparison to everyone else (especially Rangers), to not have won the league the last few years and to still have a team that isnt great (and imo wont win the league this year).

If their biscuit tin board had shown some faith and proper ambition under Strachan during his last season they could have practically buried Rangers.

Now they are just repeating the same mistakes they made when Monkey Heid was manager.

Im very happy Lennon got the joab. I was very happy Monkey Heid got the job before him. And ill still be happy until they get a high quality manager in.

They have spent a fair bit of cash with both managers and hopefully all the players turn out to be lemons.

alwaysthereinspirit

Could he be the first SPL manager to go?

Three big games he has failed to deliver on already.

I think we could split the old firm again. Thoughts?

His manegerial past history will give him a little leeway with the board. Also his signing of big stars has worked well at other clubs he's managed.

Fxxx the SPFL

As much as Celtic are out of Europe and Rangers will no doubt join them it would be wrong to think that we will split them they have more strength in depth that all other Premier league clubs and with no european games will find it easier to continue to dominate this season. I hope that I am way off the mark would love to see us split them heart says yes head says no.

sweat.gif

Guest Dipped Flake

Must admit I'm astonished at the amount of players that lennon has brought in. Most didn't cost much in the way of transfer fees but wages won't be cheap. The crowds there will dwindle away even worse than last year and, now that they give the actual attendance figure rather than ticket sales, the figures are there for all to see.

Just wish it was next season when rangers would have to try, and hopefully fail, to qualify for the champions league and both halfs of the OF could be in deep shite.

Then again, a year to get our younger players used to the SPL and maybe, just maybe, next season could be a big one

If he's any more than 6 points behind the Huns come Christmas he'll be getting his jotters, with falling crowds at Darkheid they can't afford another season without a tilt at the CL.

Much as I hate them it would be hilarious to see Rangers win the league again and Lennon getting the boot, the Huns are fecked financially anyway so at this moment in time I'd like to see all the damage falling on Celtic. Still think Celtic must be favourites though, Rangers first 11 looks OK but they've got no depth in their squad at all and 6 midweek CL games coming up.

It is actually unbelievable how much money they have spent in comparison to everyone else (especially Rangers), to not have won the league the last few years and to still have a team that isnt great (and imo wont win the league this year).

If their biscuit tin board had shown some faith and proper ambition under Strachan during his last season they could have practically buried Rangers.

Now they are just repeating the same mistakes they made when Monkey Heid was manager.

Their vile fans are now getting the managers they deserve, they didn't like Strachan anyway because he was a proud Scot and didn't play along with their Plastic Paddy pish.

1 :lol:

2 :lol::lol:

3 :lol::lol::lol:

4 :lol::lol::lol::lol:

There have been many excellent posts on this thread but for pure simplicity I vote the one above a clear winner. Well done PA

Lennon was the cheapest management option for Sellick as John Reid well knows. They still have to settle with MonkeyHeid for 2 million or so I believe, so theres no way they'd be following up with an expensive high-profile capture. Plus hes a "sellick minded" fans favourite so Reid knew he'd get away with a cheap appointment this time around. Anyway, he has all the hallmarks of a disasterous appointment , dumped out the cup by Ross County and then dumped out of Europe twice in a month. Brilliant.

The depressing thing is - as bad as Lennon and sellick are - they'll still be in a 2-horse race with rankers for the title. I forget which version of "the worst ever rankers team to win the league" did exactly that in the last few years - but win it they did. Its a feat that sellick are quite capable of emulating.

Only in the SPL...

KilbrideJambo

Celtic will win the league, we will be third and win the Scottish Cup (as we did last time Wattie was giving up)

Guest Dipped Flake

JJ thought the Scottish teams going out was bad for Scottish football. I suppose he sees the bigger picture. :whistling:

Of course it was a bad night for Scottish football and I normally support all Scottish teams in Europe but I can't help but smile at celtic being stuffed out.

A Boy Named Crow

It is all about the long game chaps...Celtic and Rangers will finish first and second in whatever order this year. Rangers are in administration by any other name and I just can't see them being any kind of team once Smith leaves, it's not like they can spend a fortune on new toys for McCoist when he takes over. If Celtic bin Lennon they don't exactly have a CL war chest to play with and TGFITW will show their true colours, on the other hand they stick with Lennon and continue to go backwards.

Meanwhile, in the shadows, on the quiet, JJ is honing the team of promising youngsters into a crack squad of world beaters by a subtle blend of mentoring, loan spells and the right first team experience. Essentially lads the 2011/12 title is destined for Tynie!!! They'll never see it coming!

:thumbsup:

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Im very happy Lennon got the joab. I was very happy Monkey Heid got the job before him. And ill still be happy until they get a high quality manager in.

They have spent a fair bit of cash with both managers and hopefully all the players turn out to be lemons.

"Lennon's Lemons". I like it! Perhaps we could play Led Zep's "The Lemon Song" at any home game against Celtic?

Must admit I'm astonished at the amount of players that lennon has brought in. Most didn't cost much in the way of transfer fees but wages won't be cheap. The crowds there will dwindle away even worse than last year and, now that they give the actual attendance figure rather than ticket sales, the figures are there for all to see.

Just wish it was next season when rangers would have to try, and hopefully fail, to qualify for the champions league and both halfs of the OF could be in deep shite.

Then again, a year to get our younger players used to the SPL and maybe, just maybe, next season could be a big one

The Comedian

Lennon was the cheapest management option for Sellick as John Reid well knows. They still have to settle with MonkeyHeid for 2 million or so I believe, so theres no way they'd be following up with an expensive high-profile capture. Plus hes a "sellick minded" fans favourite so Reid knew he'd get away with a cheap appointment this time around. Anyway, he has all the hallmarks of a disasterous appointment , dumped out the cup by Ross County and then dumped out of Europe twice in a month. Brilliant.

The Celtic board have been very clever here. They are forever being ridiculed by the Celtic support for the last two managerial appointments in Mowbray and Strachan. This time they listened to what the support said even going as far as seeing Lawell & Lennon doing roadshows all over Scotland and Ireland. The fan's to a man backed the appointment of Lennon. The board can now sidestep any discontent regarding Lennon by simply pointing out he was YOUR choice.

Make no mistake, the bleating has already started as realisation begins to bite. They have a very inexperienced manager who is tactically awful, has a poor eye for a player, is hot headed, plays players out of position and has terrible man management.

Then factor in the rubbish he's saddled the club with. They spent 1.5m on Murphy but he isn't good enough to play before Samaras who's a confirmed failure? Why sign a player WORSE than him? I suspect it's because he hasn't a clue. With the money he's spent and the wages they'll be on, he's doing a good job of financially ruining the club.

Lennon will be a disaster this season, get the sack and will be replaced by another huddy who ticks the former player/catholic boxes. He'll have to rip it up and start again and make all of the same mistakes all over again.

:4_1_72:

Buffalo Bill

In 1998, Celtic completed their 60,000-seater stadium for their 60,000 fans.

The problem is, only in the late-90s and 00s have Celtic ever had anything like that sort of fan-base. A third/half empty Celtic Park is their de facto level.

Their upsurge in attendances was due to people having bigger disposable incomes (and in their case: more government benefits), in a society that could splash out on gym memberships, satellite TV and of course: season tickets for all-seater stadia.

Plus, Celtic's re-branding of itself in the late 90s was bought hook, line and sinker by thicko journalists and so-called 'celebrities' alike; which in itself coincided with Rangers' sectarian problems and the end of their 'nine-in-a-row' era.

Celtic chased the dream of European and English Premiership glory. They failed and I am laughing at them right now.

I just wish that they'll go all the way back to the days of Wayne Biggins, Carl Muggleton, 1993 and 13,000 crowds.

I just wish that they'll go all the way back to the days of Wayne Biggins, Carl Muggleton, 1993 and 13,000 crowds.

I was there on the same night as you mate when we stood in that empty Parkhead.

Glory hunting b******s.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

dennis-nilsen.jpg

Top tipster Dennis Neilson had this down as a home banker.

Dennis is very rarely wrong when it comes to the old tipping game,

:lol:

Nice one "sport".

I didn`t see the game but i have no doubt Utrecht were a decent side. But they wouldn`t have been worried about Celtic`s rep or the big myth surrounding them...unlike the rest of the spl.

Really, i do think the rest of the SPL has to get the negative shackles off and realise they can be beaten more often. Results have actually got a bit better over the last few years but for most part teams are subdued before a ball is kicked.

I wouldn`t say Hearts are. We`ve had some good results v Celtic recently and given Rangers the odd defeat at Tynie, its more away from home.

But its the way the Killies and St Middens bend over and take a shafting far too easily.

PS..i said at start of season lennon will do a Le Guen and i still stand by that.

To be fair I think the other SPL teams take a more adventurous approach to games against the Old Firm than they used to, particularly at home. You quoted St Mirren and Kilmarnock who both defeated Celtic for the first time in donkey's years last season. Often it is a simple case that the Old Firm have better players than the rest and occasionally the ref on their side.

The problem is, only in the late-90s and 00s have Celtic ever had anything like that sort of fan-base. A third/half empty Celtic Park is their de facto level.

Their upsurge in attendances was due to people having bigger disposable incomes (and in their case: more government benefits), in a society that could splash out on gym memberships, satellite TV and of course: season tickets for all-seater stadia.

Plus, Celtic's re-branding of itself in the late 90s was bought hook, line and sinker by thicko journalists and so-called 'celebrities' alike; which in itself coincided with Rangers' sectarian problems and the end of their 'nine-in-a-row' era.

Celtic chased the dream of European and English Premiership glory. They failed and I am laughing at them right now.

Perfectly possible BB. Mid 80's to early 90's they were in frequently in the 20's - and I remember as you do, very often in the mid/low teens near seasons end when the glory-hunters knew they were going to end up behind their hun rivals. Could easily happen again, especially if Lenoons "spending spree" has brought in a bunch of useless kippers (which he probably has).

Or ... same thing could happen at hunbox once they're turfed out of the CL in bottom spot and they contrive to find themslves chasing the worst sellick team under the worst manager in 20 years or more.

Wheres the EPL aspirations now eh ! The "glasgow giants" are nothing less than a pair of cripples stumbling about in a football backwater, and holding each other up for support.

shaun.lawson

2912wbb2.gif

Not bad, not bad... Apart from the interloper, I only recognise seven people in that picture. Wonder what it was for?

The Real Maroonblood

Celtic have overspent and now that they are out of Europe they face dwindling crowds and their overpaid demotivated starlets will not be happy plying their trade merely for a Scottish trophy.(Which they may not even win!)

Most of their fickle supporters only offer loyalty because they are seen to win prizes. Old Firm attendances have dropped before when their team does badly and a half empty Celtic Park will only drive even more of them away. Without the money and prestige from Europe they will find it even more difficult to attract good players.

Even if they abandon their aggressive orangutan of a manager it is now too late. If they fail to dominate the domestic scene, as I believe probable,it really will be "abandon hope all who enter here". And do they still think that an escape to the English leagues is feasable? Only their money was ever wanted there and now they will be as welcome as the Bubonic Plague. I weep not a tear for their plight. Self inflicted and deseved.

A decline in forune for Celtic ironically means a decline for Rangers, as they feed off each other like piranhas in a river. For the rest of the Scottish clubs it will mean that an avenue of opportunity will open up and that can only be good for the Scottish game!

An excellent post.

Skivingatwork

Tremendous Post :thumbsup:

I don't think we'll see much change for the next few seasons but the OF are on the slope down - it's a vicious circle, No/poor run in Europe = less money = poorer standard of players = No/poor run in Europe etc etc. Add to that the dwindling gates and I think that the rest of the clubs have a chance of closing up the gap. I think that the remaining teams must concentrate on developing their own, decent players and builiding up squads for the next few years.

Excellent Post :thumbsup:

jamboinglasgow

Great post BB.

Some Celtic fans seem convinced that they can get higher capacities then 60,000. In fact Peter Lawell said three years ago that Celitc are looking to increase the stadium by 8,000. However to me that is wrong. The 60,000 is the peak of what Celtic could get and that era is coming to an end. Since Celtic Park was rebuilt, Celtic were able to keep the attendences at high levels because of Martin O'Neils era when they thought they were the best team in the world, they reached a European Cup final, then came the Strachan era where I think Celtic fans used him as an excuse for them not going back, they were winning but I think the fans interest was waining as they have always been fair weather fans.

Their fans are leaving, and I think its quite noticable on the streets of Edinburgh that these days I see more Hearts and Hibs tops on kids then Celtic tops (while Rangers tops are almost non-existant.) The Celtic fans were used to winning and European success (to an extent) but this is not the case anymore.

As you say there was also a re-branding of Celtic in the late 90s, where they made themselves almost trendy, celebraties flocked to them, they were seen among these famous fans as the team to be associated with, so when Seville came around these 'celebs' grabbed any chance they could to go down there and be seen as a Celtic fan. It was helped by the club hiding the secctarian and violent nature of some of their support. As you say this was done well as Rangers were always seen as the sectarian club as it has been more upfront, so Rangers will condemn sectarian chanting then do nothing about it, Celtic just pretends it doesn't exist and blames Rangers. However in recent years there has a resurgance in the open nasty view of the Celtic fans, the activity around the military (I am sure Arsenal fans will have lost all respect for Celtic fans after the Emirates cup) etc.

Couple that with the on-field activity. They have the cheapest manager they could find. They have for the second season running thrown as much money as possible towards Lennon, just like they did with Mowbray. The players should be good but they are a mixed bunch. Just like Mowbrays signings. The fact that they have made 10 signings (with 2 more rumoured) and out of a possible 12 transfers only 1 is Scottish. So to put that into perspective, Lennon is looking to sign a whole team with only 1 Scot in it. They have signed 1 Irishman (and another one rumoured) but removed 4 Irishman. So the question is where is the identity in the Celtic team. Fans who identify with a team are more likely to support them more, so what is Celtic's identity?

Celtic are facing problems. But to me it is just them rescinding back to a more realistic position for themselves, hopefully it gives other teams a chance.

The fact the Sellick are still advertising to try and sell their Season Tickets tells you everything, Weegie radio have adverts running telling them to become 'part of the family' :yucky:

Francis Albert

The fact that there were only 45,000 at Celtic Park for their opening home game has been pretty much ignored. And that after an encouraging start to their Europa League "campaign" and a summer during which much was made of the relative strengthening of the Celtic team vs Rangers and of course confirmation of their new, very Celtic-minded manager. Very encouraging!

Archived