Calum Elliott (Merged Threads)

Guest GhostHunter

Glad to see him getting a few goals, now that he has a mentor in Kyle (who is encouraging him along). Maybe all he's needed is someone to believe in him so he can gain a bit confidence. That second goal was one of someone that knows what they need to do.

His work rate is phenomenal, can never really fault that about him. Have to credit the fact that after all the stick he has received he still wants to try and make it this club. There's plenty competition for places now so he's going to have to keep up this level of performance if he wants to have a chance of a start.

Let's hope he can keep up the good work

To Calum

german-beer.jpg

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delighted.

I'm in a minority on JKB that have stuck up for Elliot whilst a majority wrote him off. I appreciate one swallow doesn't make a spring, but I'm delighted with the start he has made this season.

I've said for years Calum's problems aren't his football ability, it's his chronic lack of confidence. I can't help but feel the way Hearts have been managed since he first broke through under Rix has been largely responsible for this, along with bad luck with injuries. I'd love to see him build on this good start to the season.

I feel terrible. I have often called him Clum, but I thought that was his Brazillian name...:whistling:

Seriously though, he has started this season brilliantly, long may it continue.

:thumbsup:

marshallschunkychicken

Delighted.

I'm in a minority on JKB that have stuck up for Elliot whilst a majority wrote him off. I appreciate one swallow doesn't make a spring, but I'm delighted with the start he has made this season.

I've said for years Calum's problems aren't his football ability, it's his chronic lack of confidence. I can't help but feel the way Hearts have been managed since he first broke through under Rix has been largely responsible for this, along with bad luck with injuries. I'd love to see him build on this good start to the season.

I'm with you in the minority, mate.

Really want him to do well as he's obviously a confidence player.

The "I told you so" minority seems to be growing by the hour.

Check my previous posts bawheid! :thumbsup:

Joking apart, football fans are fickle, and if a good start to the season gets a larger number of fans on his side, I'm sure Elliot will continue to improve as his confidence increases.

Hearts of Vladland

i swear i scored his first goal with rooney many times in fifa

I done it with Gary Glen left foot as well.

well, whether we called him clum, whether we shouted and moaned, or whether we supported and stood up for him when some of us were booing the boy.....

one thing we can all agree on is that the boy has got off to a winning start this season and god knows we ALL want it to continue. how nice to have a striker scoring goals guys

I've given him plenty stick this past week so fair play he's proved me wrong. Well done Clum keep it up.

To be absolutely honest, it depends on what you said. If you said he wouldn't score against Hamilton then he did indeed prove you wrong, if you said that he didn't have a future at the club, he has only taken the first few steps to prove you wrong. Oh, and I am sure it goes without saying that we all hope he proves us wrong and goes on to be a big player for Hearts. Despite an excellent performance yesterday, I still have my doubts.

Oh, and in keeping with the recent posts, I never called him "Clum" once. I always felt it was a childish nickname tbh.

Yep, two goals and winning the penalty. Top notch.

Even if the other Elliott was fit next weekend, Clum deserves to keep his place. Has linked up with Kyle well too.

His work rate in the last 2 games has been exceptional as have been his goals ... very classy. But what won me over was him taking the ball from young Thomson and handing it to Kyle to take the penalty - the look on Kyles face was a picture. The team is starting to gel.

Still think we will take a few poundings as the defence and midfield are still a bit shaky, but hey that has always been the JJ way if I recall from a previous era.

Buffalo Bill

More evidence of the Jefferies' effect.

Calum's renaissance can actually be traced back to the tail end of last season, with his fine performance in the win at Easter Road.

JJ has spotted something in Elliot and is now only getting the rewards for bulding his confidence back up.

The role of Kevin Kyle in all of this should not be understimated either.

Better times lie ahead. We wont be world beaters, but we'll see a bit of passion and verve as long as Jefferies is in charge; and where individual stories like this will emerge.

If its the truth it wasnt harsh was it really.

He's done well today. No doubt about that. I think he's doing well because he realises now that he could be out the team for a very long time and possibly for good if he doesnt. I think this is also his last contracted year so its vital for him.

Something good may have happened for him psychologically because he's in the last chance saloon, and if thats what it took to push him up a notch or two then great, I'm delighted. But lets not go pretending that the last 3 years didnt happen or that he's climbed the mountain because of 3 goals, 2 of which were against shocking opposition defensively.

If he gets to double figures this season (as he should now if he's truly found the groove) he'll have proved something IMO

If I've understood you correctly, I don't agree with this at all as it implies that Elliot had a motivation issue in the past.

When I heard him in his post-match interview after the game it really brought it home to me, how shy and unassuming he was. Standing there with Kyle he was like a proud yet embarrassed kid accepting praise from his big brother.

For me, it's always been a confidence thing with Eliott. When I've criticised him in the past, it's been the fact that he was too quick to stick the petted lip out and the head down when anything went against him. For most of his Hearts career (with the exception of when he first broke into the team) he's played like someone with the weight of the world on his shoulders. His body language was all wrong.

When you say "something good may have happened for him psychologically" I agree with you 100% - Their names are Kevin Kyle and Stephen Elliott.

Since they've arrived Calum has spoken about "feeling less pressure" and benefiting from their advice. The fact that he insisted on 'gifting' Kyle his first goal when he was on a hattrick spoke volumes for the relationship he looks to have built up with him.

You're quite right when you say he needs to show this kind of form over a period of time to truly win all the fans over, but let's just enjoy the fact that his surprisingly good form has given us decent options up front for the first time in ages.

His loan at Livvy and the subsequent return to our first team was his return to form but by **** does it take a lot for folk to catch on.

Guest Dipped Flake

Always been a supporter of Calum and have stated on here more than once that he is a very, very shy laddie. He needs his confidence built up and the abuse he has received from Hearts 'fans' over the years has severely dented that confidence.

Keep it up Calum

Drylaw Hearts

Always been a supporter of Calum and have stated on here more than once that he is a very, very shy laddie. He needs his confidence built up and the abuse he has received from Hearts 'fans' over the years has severely dented that confidence.

Keep it up Calum

The club need to shoulder the responsibility of CE's confidence collapse.

The fans clearly didn't help but it seemed to me they were frustrated with his lack of effort and his poor attitude.

He also came back at a time when we were an utter shambles and the fans patience was at an all-time low.

I really hope this is the turning point in CE's career and he now fulfils his potential - I honestly didn't think he was capable of it but he's certainly taken a step in the right direction with his very bright start to the season.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

The fans clearly didn't help but it seemed to me they were frustrated with his perceived lack of effort and his poor attitude.

Fixed..

Drylaw Hearts

Fixed..

You haven't fixed it at all.

When he came back from 'Well he huffed and puffed his way round the pitch with his arms waving about and constantly complaining.

He needed a kick up the erse.

The club need to shoulder the responsibility of CE's confidence collapse.

The fans clearly didn't help but it seemed to me they were frustrated with his lack of effort and his poor attitude.

He also came back at a time when we were an utter shambles and the fans patience was at an all-time low.

I really hope this is the turning point in CE's career and he now fulfils his potential - I honestly didn't think he was capable of it but he's certainly taken a step in the right direction with his very bright start to the season.

You are inferring that we are not a shambles now.

Well that's progress - and positive.

Drylaw Hearts

You are inferring that we are not a shambles now.

Well that's progress - and positive.

The appointment of JJ was a great decision.

VR really should have listened to what Charlie Mann had to say and appointed him in January 2008.

Hannibal Lecter

Have been a critic of the lad in the past but credit where it's due. Looks like a totally different player to the Calum we seen last season. Looks a lot better on the ball and more confident to go with it. Also good to see that he has been finding the net too.

Took both of his goals really well yesterday and made a great run, managing to keep his composure for his 2nd. When Kyle came on they both seemed to link up well together. JJ might have a headache on his hand when it comes to forwards, but a good one for a change when the other Elliott is fit as it would be a shame to drop Calum when he has been playing so well.

Long may you keep it up wee man :thumbsup:

You haven't fixed it at all.

When he came back from 'Well he huffed and puffed his way round the pitch with his arms waving about and constantly complaining.

He needed a kick up the erse.

To be fair DH, that doesn't sound like lack of effort - that sounds like arm waving and complaining.?

For all the criticism that was aimed at Calum Elliot, the lack of effort thing is the one part I never have and never will understood. I don't remember ever thinking he wasn't putting in the work. Not once.?

And yes, the club must shoulder some of the blame for what happened with him but the fans are almost equally as much to blame. No point going back and pointing the finger or going on about it though, I just hope it's a lesson learned.

And yes, the club must shoulder some of the blame for what happened with him but the fans are almost equally as much to blame. No point going back and pointing the finger or going on about it though, I just hope it's a lesson learned.

What has changed? He is still given that simpleton name by fans of his own club.

Drylaw Hearts

To be fair DH, that doesn't sound like lack of effort - that sounds like arm waving and complaining.?

For all the criticism that was aimed at Calum Elliot, the lack of effort thing is the one part I never have and never will understood. I don't remember ever thinking he wasn't putting in the work. Not once.?

You missed out the huffing and puffing part redm !!

His attitude was all wrong imo and this affected the effort he put into matches.

I honestly can't agree with you saying that the fans are equally to blame for hsi lack of progress when it was the club who stupidly sent him out on loan and replaced him with Jamie Mole.

There won't have been a single Hearts fans involved even a little bit in that ludicrous decision.

It was at that point things started going wrong for him imo.

His attitude was all wrong imo and this affected the effort he put into matches.

I honestly can't agree with you saying that the fans are equally to blame for hsi lack of progress when it was the club who stupidly sent him out on loan and replaced him with Jamie Mole.

There won't have been a single Hearts fans involved even a little bit in that ludicrous decision.

the fans who got on his back are just as equally to blame wether you agree or not. Ive got a rough idea why you wont admit it tho.

Drylaw Hearts

the fans who got on his back are just as equally to blame wether you agree or not. Ive got a rough idea why you wont admit it tho.

I don't agree because I think you're wrong.

The club fecked up and it snowballed from there.

If they hadn't made a huge error in sending him to 'well I suspect we wouldn't even be discussing how the fans reacted to his performances after he returned.

Snake Plissken

His loan at Livvy and the subsequent return to our first team was his return to form but by **** does it take a lot for folk to catch on.

Totally agree with this and have made the same point before. Last season was a bit of a wash out because of injury but he looked decent towards the end of it (Hibs game at Easter Road). People were just reverting to their pre-conceived ideas again after a couple of friendlies.

I'd love it if he got double figures this season.

All aboard the "I told you so" bus! :)

He was rubbish and has been consistently rubbish. When he was rubbish, he was rightly criticised for it. He is playing well and is rightly being praised for it.

The whole "it's the fans fault" is a little cringeworthy tbh.

Johanes de Silentio

There are a number of reasons why Callum's career hit the skids:

The club's bonkers decision to send him on loan to Motherwell;

The fans getting on his back;

Youtube;

(all of which resulted in)

Callum's massive loss of confidence/form;

Callum's occasional attitude problems;

Callum being a big daft laddie;

Injuries.

There are a number of reasons why Callum is doing better:

He is injury free;

He is working with a decent coach;

He is actually a good player with decent ability.

What has changed? He is still given that simpleton name by fans of his own club.

Yes. And I have to admit to referring to him by this name in the past although it was more in an affectionate sense than anything mean. I'm sure that habit will die out of its own accord as he continues on his season-long goalscoring spree ?;)

Well yes, he did plenty of huffing and puffing but again I don't think this necessarily indicates a lack of effort. The lad was young, nervous, frustrated and has a naturally kevin-the-teenager'ish sort of demeanour - I think the huffing thing was the only way he could think to react to be honest. It was annoying but I never considered it to be anything more than the actions of a slightly daft and inexperienced younger player. His body language was so awful at times but there isn't much people can do about that, it was very much indicative of how he was feeling and I can't get annoyed at him for that. I just felt really sorry for him actually.?

And no the fans didn't send him out on loan but some failed to do the one thing we do have responsibility for and that's?supporting?the players. Some sections of our support very much exacerbated the situation and treated one of our own players despicably. Frustration isn't an excuse, we were ALL frustrated. Getting stuck into one of the most vulnerable players didn't help anyone. I don't normally care what other fans and the media have to say about us but listening to them discussing our treatment of Elliot really did leave me feeling a little ashamed of some of my fellow Jambos and that's not a good thing at all.

Drylaw Hearts

He was rubbish and has been consistently rubbish. When he was rubbish, he was rightly criticised for it. He is playing well and is rightly being praised for it.

Spot on BH.

I honestly don't remember CE having so many 'supporters' on here previously.

I don't agree because I think you're wrong.

The club fecked up and it snowballed from there.

If they hadn't made a huge error in sending him to 'well I suspect we wouldn't even be discussing how the fans reacted to his performances after he returned.

Nice bit of side stepping there, the club sending him on loan was the start of it but to dismiss the role that some fans have had and then passing of the fans actions as allright cos the club shouldnae have loaned him is ridiculous.

For as long as he's been gettin it tight fi some of our fans there have been people saying give him the chance to develop, back him and hopefully he can flourish. Now those fans who booed him done so of their own free will, they didnt have to, the chose too. They are responsible for their own actions.

He was rubbish and has been consistently rubbish. When he was rubbish, he was rightly criticised for it.??He is playing well and is rightly being praised for it.

Just to be clear, I actually pretty much agree with Paranoid Android's summation above but since the fan element was a component part of the blether I was having with DH I gave it a little more room in my post than I might otherwise do. And it's not about 'I told you so' in the slightest, it's about not treating a young player like that again. Hopefully. ?:)

Drylaw Hearts

Well yes, he did plenty of huffing and puffing but again I don't think this necessarily indicates a lack of effort. The lad was young, nervous, frustrated and has a naturally kevin-the-teenager'ish sort of demeanour - I think the huffing thing was the only way he could think to react to be honest. It was annoying but I never considered it to be anything more than the actions of a slightly daft and inexperienced younger player. His body language was so awful at times but there isn't much people can do about that, it was very much indicative of how he was feeling and I can't get annoyed at him for that. I just felt really sorry for him actually.?

He looked as though he couldn't be bothered = it's looked as though he was giving less than 100% = lack of effort.

And no the fans didn't send him out on loan but some failed to do the one thing we do have responsibility for and that's?supporting?the players. Some sections of our support very much exacerbated the situation and treated one of our own players despicably. Frustration isn't an excuse, we were ALL frustrated. Getting stuck into one of the most vulnerable players didn't help anyone. I don't normally care what other fans and the media have to say about us but listening to them discussing our treatment of Elliot really did leave me feeling a little ashamed of some of my fellow Jambos and that's not a good thing at all.

Again....the fans were frustrated in many things that were going on at the time and many players became scapegoats ie Miko.

They had nobody else to vent their frustrations on though as there was no VR or any Directors at the match and the dugout was a conveyor belt of puppets.

The fans didn't do him any favours I admit that but we pay good money to go along each week and we are entitled to voice our opinions.

Also....this didn't happen overnight with CE he was awful for most of the matches he played upon his return from 'well.

I think he also has to take some of the responsibility - he will know himself he didn't do enough when he came back.

Another one who booed not wiling to admit he may have been wrong to do so??!

If you are reffering to me with any of the i told you so shite, think again pal I havent used those words, purposely, cos there is still along way to go from Elliot.

Ive read a few of your posts on this thread and it really does come accross that you are choking that he is doing well. Im not saying you dont want hearts to do well Im sure you do, just a sense Im gettin, seems it really is stickin in your craw

Spot on BH.

I honestly don't remember CE having so many 'supporters' on here previously.

This bit I actually agree with, if all the folk that are coming on here saying " I always thought there was a player there" had badword spoke up and defended him when needed maybe it wouldnt have got as bad for the lad.

Drylaw Hearts

Nice bit of side stepping there, the club sending him on loan was the start of it but to dismiss the role that some fans have had and then passing of the fans actions as allright cos the club shouldnae have loaned him is ridiculous.

For as long as he's been gettin it tight fi some of our fans there have been people saying give him the chance to develop, back him and hopefully he can flourish. Now those fans who booed him done so of their own free will, they didnt have to, the chose too. They are responsible for their own actions.

I haven't dismissed the role the fans had in not helping him through the bad times.

But to even attempt and proportion equal blame for the stunt on his progress between the club and the fans is even more ridiculous.

It was/is the clubs responsibility to ensure that the right decisions were/are made in developing Elliots football career - this didn't happen.

Blaming a few hundred fans for giving him an earful is laughable.

He looked as though he couldn't be bothered = it's looked as though he was giving less than 100% = lack of effort.

Maybe we just read non-verbal cues differently. I never thought he looked like he couldn't be bothered, I just thought he looked frustrated and uptight.

Again....the fans were frustrated in many things that were going on at the time and many players became scapegoats ie Miko.

They had nobody else to vent their frustrations on though as there was no VR or any Directors at the match and the dugout was a conveyor belt of puppets.

The fans didn't do him any favours I admit that but we pay good money to go along each week and we are entitled to voice our opinions.

Also....this didn't happen overnight with CE he was awful for most of the matches he played upon his return from 'well.

I think he also has to take some of the responsibility - he will know himself he didn't do enough when he came back.

Absolutely, I've no doubt he would have given all the tea in China to have managed a better performance or two at the time. It was a particularly rotten set of circumstances I suppose. We might pay our cash etc but cutting our nose off to spite our collective face doesn't strike me as being the best way of getting value for money, that's all.

I haven't dismissed the role the fans had in not helping him through the bad times.

But to even attempt and proportion equal blame for the stunt on his progress between the club and the fans is even more ridiculous.

It was/is the clubs responsibility to ensure that the right decisions were/are made in developing Elliots football career - this didn't happen.

Blaming a few hundred fans for giving him an earful is laughable.

Well friend to not acknowledge the part it has played is a best shortsighted and at worst a straight up lie.

Drylaw Hearts

This bit I actually agree with, if all the folk that are coming on here saying " I always thought there was a player there" had badword spoke up and defended him when needed maybe it wouldnt have got as bad for the lad.

Goodness....

I actually agree.

Tbh...

A lot of it is petty attempts at point scoring with certain posters.

jamboinglasgow

This bit I actually agree with, if all the folk that are coming on here saying " I always thought there was a player there" had badword spoke up and defended him when needed maybe also it wouldnt have got as bad for the lad.

I agree with that, I have always stuck up for him, I remember having debates with JR on the issue where I would keep saying about there is a player in there. But some people on here are pretending they never gave him stick. He was written off by many here (including a few who suggested we should give him to Kilmarnock as a p/e plus money for Bryson.)

Of course these two games may be just a blip and he has a lot of work to do but I do feel we are seeing the real Calum come out and it needs to be carefully looked after by JJ, Kyle and even the fans.

So good work Calum.

My mate has an issue of FourFourTwo, from years ago, I think it was before Vlad arrived, and in it's pre-season bit on future stars, it states that Scotland have to pleasure of looking forward to a certain Hearts youngster, named, Mr. Callum Elliot. At the time, when he first broke through I certainly thought he was going to be a very big player for us. But as time went on, and certain issues happened, his loan, his injuries, his public image he clearly lost his confidence. I certainly did believe he was a busted flush and be let to move on, even last season I said we should let him go to a place like Hamilton or Caley.

But in the past 2 games, 1 I was at, I think he looks a new player. He looks confident and as a result plays a lot better for it. I realised something when I was thinking about why he looks better, and it's not just the coaching, it's the new way we play and our signings. Laszlo played a 1 man striker system, as did his predecessors after players like Jankauskas and Bednar vanished from the squad. Leaving us with the likes of Nade, Glen and Elliot. Now with the exception of Nade, these guys are reliant on playing beside a big striker. Elliot and Glen look better when playing along side someone who can lift the weight of a defence off them. Nade never really fulfilled this role and to my mind may have played better with a guy like Kyle, but we'll never know. I mean looking at the way he used to play, he did play along side bigger guys, Bednar and Jankauskas were ideal for him and the way he plays. He's a second striker, always has been, and from all reports yesterday when Kyle came on was when he looked better, playing around him and in the space Kyle created by bashing up the Hamilton back line. It's a shame for Elliott, Stephen, as he's come in and thought when I'm fit I'm going to be 1st choice. But in a sense it's better for us, as it shows guys like Elliot and Glen, home grown Jambos, do have a future with us and are still important to our aspirations. Early doors yet, but maybe the old stories about these 2 being our future goal scoring heros may still come true and help us improve our league position, european hopes and even cup runs. All as I say early doors as of yet, I will be very interested to see what happens next sunday at home to Dundee Utd.

We do have a stronger squad. Our midfield and defence are backed up well by able deputies and for once in a long time we clearly have options up front. I hope Stevenson can keep Black out the team, but who know's he might do what Wyness and Elliot have and prove me wrong haha. On Bryson, might actually help us out, BUT with 2 attacking wingers (again choice of Temps, Novi and Suso atm and Driver when fit) we could just put Jonsson and Stevenson in to be holders and let the 2 wingers do a more expansive job, as they are capable of such a feet....but that's off the point. Lets hope we can keep Callum fit, positive and scoring, and lets hope Glen also has a similar transformation. With Elliot, Elliott, Kyle, Glen and Robinson all competing hopefully we have some players capable of pulling us back to being a more competative and consistent side in Scotland.

Drylaw Hearts

Well friend to not acknowledge the part it has played is a best shortsighted and at worst a straight up lie.

Can't you read properly Feeno ?

I have already admitted that the fans didn't help.

However....their part in it is tiny in comparison to that of the clubs.

Johanes de Silentio

A lot of it is petty attempts at point scoring with certain posters.

:lol:

Very nearly choked on my tea there! :thumbsup:

I agree with that, I have always stuck up for him, I remember having debates with JR on the issue where I would keep saying about there is a player in there. But some people on here are pretending they never gave him stick. He was written off by many here (including a few who suggested we should give him to Kilmarnock as a p/e plus money for Bryson.)

Of course these two games may be just a blip and he has a lot of work to do but I do feel we are seeing the real Calum come out and it needs to be carefully looked after by JJ, Kyle and even the fans.

So good work Calum.

I have no idea whether or not I personally agreed with whoever it was that came up with that one but I can see why people might have done at the time. You can also understand why people might have written him off, the situation did pretty much look unsalvageable for a long period of time. You didn't have to write him off as a player in order to adopt the approach that his time at Tynecastle might have been best brought to an end.

Drylaw Hearts

I have no idea whether or not I personally agreed with whoever it was that came up with that one but I can see why people might have done at the time. You can also understand why people might have written him off, the situation did pretty much look unsalvageable for a long period of time. You didn't have to write him off as a player in order to adopt the approach that his time at Tynecastle might have been best brought to an end.

Yep.

If we had signed Bryson a month ago and Elliot had moved as part of the deal you could have counted the number of folk who would have moaned on one hand.

Archived